• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AdvertisingAge: Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing

Nokterian

Famous is more famous! How does it feel? ;)

jon-stewart-colbert-bravo.gif

hesido

"We won't collect any personal data unless you allow us to do so."

could mean, and I'm speculating:
"XBox Live user agreement allows us to collect that data. If want to be a member, you should agree to the terms."

That could very much be the case, not unlike Sony's otherOS option of not upgrading firmware if you wanted to keep that function. Yeah, that was truly a choice, right?

HellHammer

Neo Member
Not true, what we've seen is that it's not as focused on gathering data, it's just as ready to provide ads. And when it comes to the data MS is gathering, why would you care about them knowing what TV show you watch when you're waiting for your Killer Instinct match to load when you already let them see all your emails, search terms, tweets, facebook message and web history?

Of all the complaints about the X1, this is the only one I really can't get my head around, hell even if they were planning to film my living room they wouldn't be learning anything about me they don't already know, and I barely post anything online.

That's well said, to be honest I like the X1 hardware, the software, whatever, and my whole point is, if MS *really* wanted data mining, Windows is far more suited for that is it not? I mean most people already own PC's, the majority of which are running a Windows OS.

Not to mention most people own smart phones with GPS, cameras and mics in them, which again have far more availability for spying and other crap... I just don't really get it.

Will I use the Kinect? Probably not much aside from seeing how it works for a day or two, after that I'll probably box it up, simply because I don't like motion controls.

Am I scared of being spied on by it? Not at all, I'm more concerned with PC's and cellphones and other portable devices that have GPS capabilities as well as all the listening and watching capabilities.

HellHammer

Neo Member
As crap as their 'vision' of what was possible with NuAds, all data will be anonymised, hell it doesn't even have to leave your house to achieve what they want..

The worse case as I see it is you've accidentally opted in to stuff and Kinect 'could' be used to guage some response to an advert.. You box doesn't send images of you 'responding' to the advert to MS who then send those to third parties, it would locally identify what your response was (good or bad as an example) and log that on their servers, with that data then anonymised to advertisers, and again, worse case thinking, that anonymised data is then used to push some form of response back to the box, like "A user liked advert X, now show them advert Y", no personal info required.

I see no reason to think that any live streaming, snapshots, or audio clips to be uploaded from your house (other then opted in voice recognition improvement programs).

They really need to do a 180 on this, or make the program so obviously opt-in that people can make the choice legitimately about targetted advertising, because peoples perception of how marketing data is collected/interfaced seems to be different from the reality of it.

It should just have a straight-forward question upon hooking the console up and signing in honestly.

I do however think people are looking into it too much, if you use Facebook, Google, Gmail, or pretty much ANY site you're getting targeted advertising and whole lot of other stuff. I mean honestly as long as data is anonymous, I don't really give a crap.

I do however think people are looking into it too much, if you use Facebook, Google, Gmail, or pretty much ANY site you're getting targeted advertising and whole lot of other stuff. I mean honestly as long as data is anonymous, I don't really give a crap.

So because companies are already spying on us we should just let them continue to push the boundaries as far as they want? At some point am I not going to be able to open my fridge without it telling me what kind of soda I should buy? Eventually companies will spend all their money on ads and none on R&D because it will be more cost effective to convince people they need it through advertising then actually creating a good product. Then we're all truly fucked.

Top Bottom