• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Fox News, Louisiana's governor Bobby Jindal doubles down on UK's "no-go zones"

Status
Not open for further replies.
finding it hilarious he's citing the daily mail.

Is this a loophole to sneak Daily Mail articles onto Gaf??

Edit:

There definitely is a nugget of truth to all this. There were the Sharia patrols arrested in London, and they are documented on video harrassing gay people, women, and people buying alcohol. There was the Labour politician (Jack Straw?) who was heckled a few years ago and told to leave as he was in a muslim area. There are isolated pockets of these areas that, whilst not strictly 'no-go', do have little Choudary disciples doing their thing.

Saying there's absolutely no truth to any of this is about as honest as saying the UK is full of Sharia Zones.

We had this in the last thread about Birmingham, and I think the bolded is the crucial word. Harassing gay people, women and people buying alcohol is illegal and will see you arrested.

Basically, I'm sure there's some nutters who wish there were sharia areas, but the fact that the tools trying to implement them always seem to get (rightly) picked up by plod tells me that there aren't.

cajunator

Banned
Best food in the US, if not the world.

damned right about that!

I still have no idea how he wasn't recalled. He did nothing but promise jobs during the campaign and hasn't come close to accomplishing the one thing he said he would.

The job market in Louisiana is pretty great at the moment. It just took a hit because of gas prices but that isnt something the state govt can control.
in Lafayette the job market is booming I know that much.

spekkeh

Banned
Give specific examples or stop spreading bullshit and fear mongering.

You'd think the remark about Jersey City would make you understand I was being facetious.

Obviously like I said before no-go is completely stretching it. But I think it'd be remiss to not see there are some more problematic places like Tottingham, parts around Elephant and Castle, etc. I'll concede that it's nowhere near banlieue status, though at the same time the riots didn't start from nothing.

Bleepey

You'd think the remark about Jersey City would make you understand I was being facetious.

Obviously like I said before no-go is completely stretching it. But I think it'd be remiss to not see there are some more problematic places like Tottingham, parts around Elephant and Castle, etc. I'll concede that it's nowhere near banlieue status, though at the same time the riots didn't start from nothing.

My spelling ain't great but Americans butchering pronunciation of this place makes me chuckle too often, it's: Tottenham. Pronounced "tot-num". How bad are banlieeus?

Every day I walk down Brixton high road, fundamentalist Christians screech at me that I'm going to hell because I'm gay. Westminster had to implement a by-law purely to get rid of that dick who stood at Oxford Circus with a megaphone shouting about people going to hell u less they stopped sinnng and accepted the Lord..

Absolutely solid point. This goes to show just how much the media can influence the populace. I never even considered it in my mind when all these Sharia patrol came up, but most weeks at Stamford Bridge there's a Christian preacher guy with his microphone and speakers belting out how we all need to redeem ourselves through our lord and saviour. I never actually remember that and move on, just like how it should be with the Sharia patrols. But the media knows what it's doing.

mclem

"We at CNN realize that the Governor's statements are demonstrably false, so we'll take them very seriously and make sure they're repeated many, many times."

Seriously, what does it say about the news if saying dumb, fucked-up things - the stupider the better - gets you all kinds of airtime, and taken as seriously as someone who actually knows what they're talking about? When are people going to face the fact that 99% of people's opinion a) doesn't matter and b) can be seriously toxic to the discourse?

Weekly Wipe is back on Thursday 29th. Wonder if Charlie will bring this up, it's the sort of thing he'd delight in.

spekkeh

Banned
My spelling ain't great but Americans butchering pronunciation of this place makes me chuckle too often, it's: Tottenham. Pronounced "tot-num". How bad are banlieeus?
God that was a stupid typo *dunce hat* I'm not even an American I'm afraid.

639384640.jpg

Lovely this time of year.

jmood88

He has an R next to his name.
Voting for a guy like Scott Walker is a very new thing for Wisconsin.

The job market in Louisiana is pretty great at the moment. It just took a hit because of gas prices but that isnt something the state govt can control.
in Lafayette the job market is booming I know that much.

I was talking about Scott Walker, not Jindal.

Bobby Jindal might honestly be one of the worst governors of all time. I honestly can't think of a single positive thing he's accomplished and can think of about 10 horrendous things he's done to Louisiana. The fact that another dumbfuck will likely be elected governor means that the state will wallow in failure for years to come.
I used to think that Kathleen Blanco was awful but Jindal has her best easily. You have to be a pretty shitty politician to be a republican in a very red state, implement all the ideas republicans love, and still be one of the most unpopular governors in the country.

There definitely is a nugget of truth to all this. There were the Sharia patrols arrested in London, and they are documented on video harrassing gay people, women, and people buying alcohol. There was the Labour politician (Jack Straw?) who was heckled a few years ago and told to leave as he was in a muslim area. There are isolated pockets of these areas that, whilst not strictly 'no-go', do have little Choudary disciples doing their thing.

Saying there's absolutely no truth to any of this is about as honest as saying the UK is full of Sharia Zones.

I meant more the no-go zones rather than the idiotic Sharia patrols which were very real but were shut down promptly and the idiots arrested.

I feel perpetuating the idea of there being no go zones is dangerous. By all means list places you've heard or personally experienced as being dangerous, but in my near 15 years of travelling around London extensively through all hours of the day and night, I've yet to come across a place that's a legitimate no go zone or where I've felt in real danger.

I can't start a new thread (i guess it's because i'm new to Neogaf and havn't posted enough messages) but i want to share this and if anyone feels like this deserves its own thread, please do.

http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/z...lainte-contre-fox-news-20-01-2015-4463495.php

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo is going to press charges against Fox news.

The announcement will be aired live on CNN tonight during Christiane Amapour's show.

Interesting development. Will keep an eye out for the Amanpour show to see if it's mentioned.

ISOM

I can't start a new thread (i guess it's because i'm new to Neogaf and havn't posted enough messages) but i want to share this and if anyone feels like this deserves its own thread, please do.

http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/z...lainte-contre-fox-news-20-01-2015-4463495.php

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo is going to press charges against Fox news.

The announcement will be aired live on CNN tonight during Christiane Amapour's show.

If that's true, they might have a case. Fox news spreading misinformation about these locations can damage tourism and cost these cities financially.

Beefy

I meant more the no-go zones rather than the idiotic Sharia patrols which were very real but were shut down promptly and the idiots arrested.

I feel perpetuating the idea of there being no go zones is dangerous. By all means list places you've heard or personally experienced as being dangerous, but in my near 15 years of travelling around London extensively through all hours of the day and night, I've yet to come across a place that's a legitimate no go zone or where I've felt in real danger.

Same here. There are a few places that are a bit dodgy, but that isn't because of muslims.

RDreamer

He has an R next to his name.

He took on those thug teachers!

I think the reason he won so many times is because he's insane, but he's only really insane when it comes to non-social things. He tends to keep his mouth shut on social issues, which means the young vote isn't quite as energized against him. That and his opponent for the first two times was fucking awful. Tom Barrett couldn't energize anyone to go vote for him. I mean, I did, but it wasn't because of him.

Walker has become this big source of pride for so many people here. They'll vote for the guy no matter what he does. They'll turn up in fucking droves to do it, too. I've really not witnessed the same sort of cult that douchebag has anywhere else.

Mimosa97

Interesting development. Will keep an eye out for the Amanpour show to see if it's mentioned.

If that's true, they might have a case. Fox news spreading misinformation about these locations can damage tourism and cost these cities financially.

I hope this gets some coverage in the news.

I was born and raised in Paris so i like how our mayor is standing up against these far-right wingnuts whose only job is to keep half of the united states population ignorant about what's going on in the world.

This shit has to stop.

Same here. There are a few places that are a bit dodgy, but that isn't because of muslims.

Honestly, I feel I've either been extremely lucky or just ignorant to any danger, but I haven't really come across any dodgy places either.

Council estates, parks, bus stations. I've had the occasional drunk cunt shout in my general direction but then back down when I've responded, but then, really, who hasn't had that happen at least once?

I hope this gets some coverage in the news.

I was born and raised in Paris so i like how our mayor is standing up against these far-right wingnuts whose only job is to keep half of the united states population ignorant about what's going on in the world.

This shit has to stop.

Credit to the mayor. It's destructive for all sorts of reasons to allow such an idea to gain any kind of legitimacy or traction. I wish someone in the UK would push for the same action, but we're more content just mocking them mercilessly until they are forced to apologise on air.

Guevara

What's weird is, if you're looking for self-governed areas you don't have to go overseas. Brooklyn has their own religious police, the Hasidic "modesty" police

The Brooklyn shopkeeper was already home for the night when her phone rang: a man who said he was from a neighborhood “modesty committee” was concerned that the mannequins in her store’s window, used to display women’s clothing, might inadvertently arouse passing men and boys.

“The man said, ‘Do the neighborhood a favor and take it out of the window,’ ” the store’s manager recalled. “ ‘We’re trying to safeguard our community.’ ”

In many neighborhoods, a store owner might shrug off such a call. But on Lee Avenue, the commercial spine of Hasidic Williamsburg, the warning carried an implied threat — comply with community standards or be shunned. It is a potent threat in a neighborhood where shadowy, sometimes self-appointed modesty squads use social and economic leverage to enforce conformity.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=148277741

I mean, I don't know about "no-go" zones but there are certainly... weird areas. I've never been so I can't confirm this myself, but there's an area near Glasgow (Scotland) called Pollok...shaws? Or Pollokshields, maybe?

Anyway, people say that you just can't get a white taxi driver there. If a white taxi driver entered the area he'd attacked / chased out. This is something I've been told by many people.

-------------

There's also this image that does the rounds on Facebook of a bus stop in England that has a sign on it that say's something to the effect of "This is a Muslim area. Do not walk your dog here, we do not like dog. If you walk your dog here we will kill it." Edit 2: - found the picture, doesn't mention killing dogs. Exact quote is "Do not walk your dog here! Muslims do not like dogs. This is an islamic area now."

I can't remember the exact quote.

So, if these are true which I cannot confirm, then certainly weird areas, but not no-go zones.

Edit: Looking at the article though, there are definitely not "entire cities" that you cannot go into. That's bull.

What's weird is, if you're looking for self-governed areas you don't have to go overseas. Brooklyn has their own religious police, the Hasidic "modesty" police

The Brooklyn shopkeeper was already home for the night when her phone rang: a man who said he was from a neighborhood “modesty committee” was concerned that the mannequins in her store’s window, used to display women’s clothing, might inadvertently arouse passing men and boys.

“The man said, ‘Do the neighborhood a favor and take it out of the window,’ ” the store’s manager recalled. “ ‘We’re trying to safeguard our community.’ ”

What.

What.

I mean, I don't know about "no-go" zones but there are certainly... weird areas. I've never been so I can't confirm this myself, but there's an area near Glasgow (Scotland) called Pollok...shaws? Or Pollokshields, maybe?

Anyway, people say that you just can't get a white taxi driver there. If a white taxi driver entered the area he'd attacked / chased out. This is something I've been told by many people.

-------------

There's also this image that does the rounds on Facebook of a bus stop in England that has a sign on it that say's something to the effect of "This is a Muslim area. Do not walk your dog here, we do not like dog. If you walk your dog here we will kill it." Edit 2: - found the picture, doesn't mention killing dogs. Exact quote is "Do not walk your dog here! Muslims do not like dogs. This is an islamic area now."

So, if these are true which I cannot confirm, then certainly weird areas, but not no-go zones.

Edit: Looking at the article though, there are definitely not "entire cities" that you cannot go into. That's bull.

Can you post the picture?

Mimosa97

-------------

So some lunatic put a sticker saying " This is a muslim neighbourhood don't walk your dog " ? And this makes it true ? Every muslim who lives there agrees with this message ?

Seriously ... I bet the sticker was taken down the same day but obviously someone had the time to post a picture of it on facebook and it went viral. That's the problem now with social media. It reminds me of the Sharia Police which in fact consisted of a few fanatics who got dealt it as quick as possible.

Huh, I honestly don't remember this hitting the newspapers.

When was it posted and where?

If you search for "do not walk your dog here", you'll find plenty of articles. All around 30th May 2014 / 1st June.

@Mimosa97 - nah of course it's not representative of all Muslims! Nothing is ever representative of all... anyone. But it's stuff like this is why people have the opinions that they do, or fears/worries (or racism).

Britain has a long and proud history of no go zones.

warwick-castle-4843881.jpg

Hell, there was a time you'd be flogged for leaving your own village!

Bring back traditional values!

Acorn

Republicans why do you always need to bring us into your shit?

First death panels on the nhs now Muslims patrolling everywhere.

If you search for "do not walk your dog here", you'll find plenty of articles. All around 30th May 2014 / 1st June.

@Mimosa97 - nah of course it's not representative of all Muslims! Nothing is ever representative of all... anyone. But it's stuff like this is why people have the opinions that they do, or fears/worries (or racism).

Yeah, I just found the articles. Strange that I missed it back then.

I'm torn over how seriously to take it. It could be something that someone put up to create a outcry and to make to go viral, but then it wouldn't surprise if there was an idiot who thought this would convince people not to walk their dogs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jindal tripled down on his derp. CNN was having a bit of fun mocking him for his stupid no-go zones shit.

This is once again a perfect example of why Republicans are objective far worse and more dangerous than Democrats. For the left, our loonies are people who might show up to protests and do something embarrassing. For the right, their loonies are actually elected officials who are responsible for the lives of millions of people.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jindal tripled down on his derp. CNN was having a bit of fun mocking him for his stupid no-go zones shit.

This is once again a perfect example of why Republicans are objective far worse and more dangerous than Democrats. For the left, our loonies are people who might show up to protests and do something embarrassing. For the right, their loonies are actually elected officials who are responsible for the lives of millions of people.

I guess the mayor can add him to the lawsuit.

It's Louisiana. You shouldn't expect anything from us except decent NFL prospects and amazing food.

Yup that's about right. At least you're better than Mississippi, there you've only got the decent NFL prospects and nothing else but what the federal government requires them to do.

Syriel

It's Louisiana. You shouldn't expect anything from us except decent NFL prospects and amazing food.

At least Louisiana provides the rest of us laughs.

Bobby Jindal. Protests supposed "no-go" zones for non-Muslims. Supports the entire state of Louisiana being a "no-go" zone for gay folks.

Because, he's all about "acceptance," yo.

Remember when certain republicans and supporters openly supported the IRA?

I know this hasn't really got an obvious connection to this idiot's statement, but you know, these guys are fine ones to talk about no-go zones given their past sponsorship of no-go zones based upon religious segregation. Fuck 'em.

To be fair, those Republicans probably got the IRA confused with the NRA. Dem acronyms, so confusing! ;)

Seriously though, you're 100% correct. It's amusing seeing folks who support one brand of extremism complain about another. Thankfully it's usually small groups of idiots on both sides.

Yeah, that was a few idiots who were, key word, arrested by the police for harassing others and being idiots.

UK don't put up with that shit.

Been to London many times. Always felt safer than NYC when wandering around.

Yeah, the Hasidic patrol makes the news every so often. They got into a "war" with bicyclists (the pedal kind, not the Chopper kind) a few years back because they felt that the bike riders were scantily clad.

IIRC, a nude bike ride resulted to protest the idiocy.

kyser73

I don't think this is as demonstrably false as saying that Birmingham is 100% Muslim. There are parts of e.g. South London that feel like the banlieues. Did we already forget about the riots a few years ago? Though it's obviously not as no-go as Jersey City I mean come on.

I'm sorry, but which parts of South London feel like a banlieue?

Peckham and Brixton are out since their about as safe as it comes these days. Perhaps you're thinking of the mean streets of Southwark or Eltham with their solid support for the BNP and UKIP.

loooool has this guy ever met a brummie, I'm sure they'd take umbrage with their whole fucking city being labelled some Judge Dredd hellscape.

Jesus.

I mean it is, but not for Muslamic reasons.

joedan

I love the expressions on Jindal's face around 1 minute into the CNN video in the OP when the reporter is asking Jindal for evidence. Face of a person caught in a lie

Anyone from Sweden? A friend of mine told me Malmo had no-go zones. Not sure which neighborhoods tho
Your friend is wrong (shocking). I'm not from Sweden but Finland, and if there was such a zone, whole Scandinavia would know about it. Actually, whole world would know about it.

Seems more like a prank to me.

It would be kinda funny to post a bunch of signs like that up in some town in the Southern USA and see how the local townsfolk react.

Then again, that would probably be a very bad idea because it could end up in a horrible disaster if some idiot took revenge on a local Muslim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom