• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

GONZO

Level 21 now and I jsut have to say that the music in this game is so entrancing. I love it, it just fits the setting so well. And when your farming through 100 mobs the music just stands out so much more. Great, great soundtrack.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
White Man said:
This game needs a few performance patches. It doesn't run consistently at all. It's a shame, because I rather like it. It tops out in the 40s for me, but when wandering around Tortage, it's regularly 15-20. I'm running on medium settings at 1920x1200 (bumping it down to 1680x1050 doesn't make a huge difference), with world shadows turned off (because they are ugly and glitchy) and reflections neutered (because that's usually a good way to improve perf without a hit). I'm running in DX9. I have an 8800 GTS with 640 megs of RAM and 3.0 Ghz quad cores. I'm kinda bummed, but I do like what I see so far, even if the skill system seems kinda wonky and opaque to me.

I'm betting you haven't seen the post on the official boards about optimization. Just to give you a taste, my computer is much worse than yours (AMD FX-55 with a X1800XT) and I get 30 FPS solid. With your rig you should be fine.

woobit

Justin said:
The art is pretty amazing as you move out of the starter zone. You have to see the scale and detail of some of the cities and zones to believe it. I know some people were looking for something a bit more "high fantasy" but you wont find it here. If you like the wow art style with big exaggerated armor and weapons you might be disappointed.

I will probably love the art style after two hours of play. Just in time to get used to the UI too.

Loan

Neo Member
i lopve wow art style in armors

but i also like conan armor remind me of somthing of never winter nights

not exagerated but good looking armors is what counts :p SPECIALLY WITH A HOOD TYPE (caster assassins)

iamblades

Loan said:
i lopve wow art style in armors

but i also like conan armor remind me of somthing of never winter nights

not exagerated but good looking armors is what counts :p SPECIALLY WITH A HOOD TYPE (caster assassins)

I never really liked the wow style flashing neon sign saying 'i'm a priest' 'i'm a mage' type armors. Some of the more subtle stuff looks really nice, but the casters are always stuck with the most ugly garish grap.

I REALLY hate the WoW weapon designs though. They look like a Nomura fanboy's wet dream. Swords as big as people suck.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Im getting a bad case of "i dont know whatto play"-itis from this game. I stay with caster types and ranged characters, usually. The melee is so fun in this game though, and i really want to lop people in half with a 2 handed broadsword or bash thier skull in with a huge hammer. Thinking of just taking my Bear Shaman up for now, ive made like one of everything lol

nataku

I finally got an email back from Funcom about forum access, and they basically just said to enter my retail key into my account (which I said in the email I had already done, and I was playing my account).

Other than that, they said they're still working on any forum/account problems. No idea when I'll finally be allowed acccess. If anyone else is getting an error saying you don't have permission to access the forum, we pretty much just have to wait and see when they get around to it. I'll be surprised if we get access before they make the forums public again.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Ok someone needs to help me, somehow I did something to my chat windows I think I can no longer see any text or talk to anyone and Im not in single player mode..

Anyone have a clue wtf happened? I reset the defaults even but still nothing. This is crazy!!!

PS Im playing this on an Imac with a 256 Ati Radeon 2600 XT and Im super impressed how good it looks tweaked down (im still playing with it but it looks as good as WOW for me if not better) more crisp..

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
for the life of me i couldnt figure this out, but is there a way to just log out without completely shutting the game down? sometimes you just want to, you know, switch characters.

nataku

How the heck do you add friends to your friend list? The manual doesn't say how, and I don't see any way to do it on the friends list. Can you add people who aren't online?

iamblades

nataku said:
How the heck do you add friends to your friend list? The manual doesn't say how, and I don't see any way to do it on the friends list. Can you add people who aren't online?

/cc addbuddy

And yes you can add offline people.

grate

nataku said:

Don't have access to the game right now. Off of memory, you should be able to select the middle button from the top left social tabs (well circles). And then select 'Search By Name'. This will bring up a text box. You can enter the name you want to add, and below it check 'Add as friend.'

I don't think they have to be online to be added, but I can't recall.

edit: doh too slow.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So gaf is on doomsayer also? Interesting. I'm there also, but i've never even looked at the match up forum. Is there a guild or something?

_tetsuo_ said:
for the life of me i couldnt figure this out, but is there a way to just log out without completely shutting the game down? sometimes you just want to, you know, switch characters.

alt+f10 (or /camp) and wait the 30 seconds.

grate

drizzle said:
So gaf is on doomsayer also? Interesting. I'm there also, but i've never even looked at the match up forum. Is there a guild or something?

iamblades was the first gaf poster in a guild on the server (as far as I am aware) and has suggested people PM him for invites. I have posted that in the meet up thread as well.

I am not sure if its a guild he created or if he joined a pre-established guild.

He can probably shed some light on that.

It seems like quite a few of us are picking up/have the game, might not be a bad idea to make a gaf guild if we don't have one already.

iamblades

grate said:
iamblades was the first gaf poster in a guild on the server (as far as I am aware) and has suggested people PM him for invites. I have posted that in the meet up thread as well.

I am not sure if its a guild he created or if he joined a pre-established guild.

He can probably shed some light on that.

It seems like quite a few of us are picking up/have the game, might not be a bad idea to make a gaf guild if we don't have one already.

Some random guild invited me, but I'm planning on making a gaf only guild if we can...

Post name suggestions in the gaf meetup thread. Also /tell carnia when you get a chance and I will add you to friends list and send you an invite ASAP.

grate

iamblades said:
Some random guild invited me, but I'm planning on making a gaf only guild if we can...

Post name suggestions in the gaf meetup thread. Also /tell carnia when you get a chance and I will add you to friends list and send you an invite ASAP.

Cool, I'll update the OP in the meet up thread telling people to suggest names for the GAF guild on Doomsayer.

Concept17

This game is making me purchase some new ram, as its my rig's biggest weakness atm. I'm pretty clueless as to what to get these days however.

Should I get 2gb DDR2 (PC8500) or 4gb DDR2 (PC6500) ? (in other words, is the 8500 much better?)

Atrophis said:
Last time i looked BoB had lost tons of territory. Goons/RA own the largest portion of the map.

Yeah, territory they gained a few months before the war started, BoB has had the whole server zerging them and they're still around.

Anyway, AOC...anyone know when the EU servers become accessible tomorrow? I'm all patched up and ready to go.

Concept17 said:
This game is making me purchase some new ram, as its my rig's biggest weakness atm. I'm pretty clueless as to what to get these days however.

Should I get 2gb DDR2 (PC8500) or 4gb DDR2 (PC6500) ? (in other words, is the 8500 much better?)

I think you mean DDRII 6400, there is no 6500. ;)

Theres no value in getting fast ram. DDRII 6400 is pretty much as fast as a computer game will ever need to keep your ram from bottlenecking your system. There wouldn't even be a single 1% difference in frame rate going from 6400 to 8500, whereas 4gb is much better than 2gb, but make sure you have a 64 bit operating system as 32 bit operating systems can only read 3 odd gigs of ram.

SpectreRT

My 2nd PC question.

My 2gb of mem I know is a little low for this game it seems.

My rig is still on regular DDR. Should I look into getting another 1-2 gigs (I am on XP, I know it caps at like 3.25 or something).... OR - should I just start building a new PC? I have a 22" monitor, and want to run it at its native resolution (1440xwhatever). 8800GTS 640mb btw.

SpectreRT said:
My 2nd PC question.

My 2gb of mem I know is a little low for this game it seems.

My rig is still on regular DDR. Should I look into getting another 1-2 gigs (I am on XP, I know it caps at like 3.25 or something).... OR - should I just start building a new PC? I have a 22" monitor, and want to run it at its native resolution (1440xwhatever). 8800GTS 640mb btw.

2gb isn't going to be a huge problem if you are on XP. You should have 1.5 gig left after the OS which should be fine. A 22" monitor would [usually] be 1680x1050 which your graphics card is perfectly capable of.

Concept17

TheHeretic said:
I think you mean DDRII 6400, there is no 6500. ;)

Theres no value in getting fast ram. DDRII 6400 is pretty much as fast as a computer game will ever need to keep your ram from bottlenecking your system. There wouldn't even be a single 1% difference in frame rate going from 6400 to 8500, whereas 4gb is much better than 2gb, but make sure you have a 64 bit operating system as 32 bit operating systems can only read 3 odd gigs of ram.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. According to Crucial, I can only use DDR 3200 or 2700... is this a good or bad thing?

This is what I'm looking at now. I'm on 32bit XP btw with 1.5gb of ram atm. (3x 512)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

Concept17 said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. According to Crucial, I can only use DDR 3200 or 2700... is this a good or bad thing?

Well yeah. DDR is really, really old technology and its slow. I honestly couldn't tell you how much of a problem it is in terms of performance but if your motherboard only supports that level of ram your CPU and GPU are probably none too fresh either. If the rest of your parts are up to scratch you could probably get away with 2gb of ram though you might be better off starting from ground 0 with a new computer.

Oh and upgrading from 1.5gb to 2gb isn't worth the effort unless you can actually sell the old ram. DDR is expensive because its rarely needed any more.

Concept17

TheHeretic said:
Well yeah. DDR is really, really old technology and its slow. I honestly couldn't tell you how much of a problem it is in terms of performance but if your motherboard only supports that level of ram your CPU and GPU are probably none too fresh either. If the rest of your parts are up to scratch you could probably get away with 2gb of ram though you might be better off starting from ground 0 with a new computer.

Oh and upgrading from 1.5gb to 2gb isn't worth the effort unless you can actually sell the old ram. DDR is expensive because its rarely needed any more.

hmm yeah my motherboard is a couple years old now =\

I should still be able to have 2 of the 512 sticks in with the 2x1gb sticks should I not? (have 4 slots)

Concept17 said:
hmm yeah my motherboard is a couple years old now =\

I should still be able to have 2 of the 512 sticks in with the 2x1gb sticks should I not? (have 4 slots)

Well I haven't tested the game myself but Crysis on high took anywhere from 800mb to 1.2gb of space. My concern would be that RAM isn't your bottleneck. Why not get a single 512mb stick of ram if you have a spare slot? Is your current ram slow or can't you find it any more? With 3gb you are gving yourself way too much RAM for an XP machine. You couldn't even salvage the RAM later on because any new PC would demand better RAM, which you would want to use.

I'd play test the game before going out and buying more.

Concept17

TheHeretic said:
Well I haven't tested the game myself but Crysis on high took anywhere from 800mb to 1.2gb of space. My concern would be that RAM isn't your bottleneck. Why not get a single 512mb stick of ram if you have a spare slot? Is your current ram slow or can't you find it any more? With 3gb you are gving yourself way too much RAM for an XP machine. You couldn't even salvage the RAM later on because any new PC would demand better RAM, which you would want to use.

I'd play test the game before going out and buying more.

I've been playing it since Tuesday. I get a lot of texture pop-in and things generally take awhile to load, along with the ocassional hitching. Once it all catches up however, the game runs pretty smoothly. (until I zone in somewhere else) I'm not looking to run the game any higher than medium (running on low-medium atm) settings with my system as I know I'll need a new one to run on it on High settings.

Concept17 said:
I've been playing it since Tuesday. I get a lot of texture pop-in and things generally take awhile to load, along with the ocassional hitching. Once it all catches up however, the game runs pretty smoothly. (until I zone in somewhere else) I'm not looking to run the game any higher than medium (running on low-medium atm) settings with my system as I know I'll need a new one to run on it on High settings.

How much video ram do you have?

But yeah that does sound like a ram issue. You can always check the task manager to see if you are running out of ram.

phinious

I was thinking of getting this and playing a ranger, are they any good?

Also is there any PVP on a PVE server? I don't care for FFA, so I was hoping there was an alternative.

Concept17

TheHeretic said:
How much video ram do you have?

But yeah that does sound like a ram issue. You can always check the task manager to see if you are running out of ram.

256mb 8600GT

Gonna launch game and check task manager.

Concept17

phinious said:
I was thinking of getting this and playing a ranger, are they any good?

Also is there any PVP on a PVE server? I don't care for FFA, so I was hoping there was an alternative.

Theres mini games and siege pvp on pve servers. Rangers seem quite good. Just remember most classes don't come into their own till after lvl 20.

Station42

ah, can't wait till tomorrow, specially having the problem to see if it's gonna run fine on my imac, really can't afford a new pc right now ._. and i don't even wanna set my mac on fire ._.

Ferrio

Banned
Dorfdad said:
Ok someone needs to help me, somehow I did something to my chat windows I think I can no longer see any text or talk to anyone and Im not in single player mode..

Anyone have a clue wtf happened? I reset the defaults even but still nothing. This is crazy!!!

There's options in the chat window to "Subscribe to ..." something or other. You go in there and checkmark what type of chat should show up in that tab.

Anyone know how respeccing works? The NPC says it costs 50 copper, I'm wondering if the price increases or if there's a cooldown if I do it.

centracore

Any idea how well the following will run the game? I'm just about to place an order and want to make sure it's worth while...
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail

EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GTX Superclocked 700MHZ 512MB 2.2GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card

OCZ XTC Platinum Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-18 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit

Ferrio

Banned
centracore said:
Any idea how well the following will run the game? I'm just about to place an order and want to make sure it's worth while...

You're seriously asking if that top of th eline beast of a computer can run the game?

Hitmeneer

centracore said:

Nah, it will take 5 years to develop the pc that can run Age of Conan :rolleyes: .

Top Bottom