• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The game really reminds me of something that me and friends have been begging for for a while. A mix between WoW............ and Shadowbane :O

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ZeroEdge said:
They sent that out to a lot of people today. I think it was a bonus for having been signed up with their old forums (which if I'm not mistaken you had to do way back in the day when they first started taking application's for closed Beta), at least that's what I have heard anyway. I was glad though because I put the code in today when I filled in my registration info for AOC as I was able to finally get my copy yay :D

Don't know about that. I didn't register for their forums back then. What i did do was, a week before the FilePlanet/IGN open beta, i signed up for the closed beta aswell.

Then i played the IGN beta, signed up for their forums, got into EarlyAccess, and i'm still playing (waiting for my actual game to arrive, eventually).

I think it's people that had an account in the forums before they locked it for players only. I dunno.

LowParry

CoLaN said:

sweetjesus728.gif

I have so much to look foward to!!

PeteJ

Does this game feel a lot like LOTRs other than the more active melee system? I did enjoy that for a couple of months (and likewise WoW) but both games became extremely tedious after a while (doing the same thing at level 50 as you do at level 10, but with higher numbers, etc).

I figure this is just how MMOs work but I just hope Conan can deliver something a bit more...interesting.

LowParry

PeteJ said:
Does this game feel a lot like LOTRs other than the more active melee system? I did enjoy that for a couple of months (and likewise WoW) but both games became extremely tedious after a while (doing the same thing at level 50 as you do at level 10, but with higher numbers, etc).

I figure this is just how MMOs work but I just hope Conan can deliver something a bit more...interesting.

It's more of the EQ2 feeling with a fantastic combat system that really works and is a lot of fun to use. I've yet to be in any groups so I can't say anything to that yet. I'm sure it's kickass though. I can't wait for raids.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
PeteJ said:

player owned and run cities adds anoter dynamic entirely

f@luS said:
almost 26 so far, i LOVE my assassin.

If i am "invisible" i win every 1v1 against same level or +1. IF i dont win, they run.
But if im not invisible, im dead meat :D you dont have any vanish or stuff like that... (i use water to get out of the fight :p)

i have like 350kill and 80death.

Seriously , the combo system is incredible with the asasssin. I havent tried the other (just a lvl 6 demo )

But having so many combos is a blast. AGainst some opponent i go for a poison combo or some other i go with a "less damage effect" combo, i sometimes need to do 2 or 3 different etc...that rox
How do the PVP rules work?

Can you be attacked ANYWHERE outside of major cities?
Consent needed or no?
Any penalty for killing too much (i.e. being Red in Ultima Online)?

etc. etc.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dammit, I wish my stuff was here. ;_;

Dark Templar is pretty fun so far (7 levels). I like the buff the "Fatalities" give you as well. Just reading the description of the class in the Age of Conan Wiki fires me up.

In essence, the Dark Templar is an evil fighter. By drawing upon these powers rooted in death and darkness, they are able to stand at the forefront of battles and take punishment that may have crippled a fighter of more ordinary skill. Whereas other members of the soldier archetype usually believe more in the importance of tactical fighting styles and the mastery of weapons in order to survive a fight, the Dark Templar has no qualms about tapping into dark, supernatural powers in order to secure victory for him and his team.

Most probably inspired by the nature of the dark forces of this world (and beyond), the Dark Templar is also quite a sadist. Whenever members of his own group – his own companions – suffer in combat, the Dark Templar will himself gain power. When others are inflicted with pain, he will receive bonuses to his abilities making him more potent!

Still, the Dark Templar is a good adventuring partner to have for any group traveling the expanses of Hyboria and who faces the challenges this dangerous world provides. If you can manage to look past his dubious ways, having a member on the team with affinity for the dark side can be a valuable thing. For instance, the Dark Templar’s 'Martyrdom' ability will actually heal his companions while also damaging himself.

Awesome.

I plan on trying a Cimmerian Barbarian (maybe female) and a Stygian Herald of Xotili.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Revolutionary said:

Consent needed or no?

etc. etc.

Deppends on the server

PVE servers only have PVP minigames (capture the flag, kill opposing team). Also called Carebears servers.

PVP FFA (Free For All) is what the name implies. PVP, free for all, anywhere (outside cities), any race (as in, same race can kill that mofo that's doing the same quest as you are).

Social PVP is the new kind of server introduced only on the release of the game. You can only attack players of different races than yours, but you can still team up with them.

Which means it will suck, because if you're both Stygyan and you team up with a friend that chose to go Achellonian, and the other stygyan people decide to attack your acheloninan friend, there's nothing you can do about it.

No, there's no consent in the PVP. You can just target and attack another player at your will.

Ferrio

Banned
Revolutionary said:

Consent needed or no?

etc. etc.

-On a PvP server yes.
-On a PvP-RP server the pvper is suppose to have a reason. Camping is considered griefing on this server and can be punished.
-On a PvE no world pvp.

All servers have their pvp games and seige stuff, which is like WoW's battlegrounds.

Ferrio said:
-On a PvP server yes.
-On a PvP-RP server the pvper is suppose to have a reason. Camping is considered griefing on this server and can be punished.
-On a PvE no world pvp.

All servers have their pvp games and seige stuff, which is like WoW's battlegrounds.

If you guys roll pvp, be prepared for spawn camping. Its a bit out of hand atm. I was camped yesterday for 30 min until my guild members showed up and put an end to it. Also, try to do quest in groups as itll give you a fighting chance. And if you see any Ranger in the area(at least <lvl 30), run away. Atm they are waaayy OP. I get 1 shotted by them(ToS) and since they can stealth(stealth detection skill is sorta messed up and doesn't work too well), detecting them is near impossible since they break out of stealth at range. Had Guardian classes(heavy plate armor tanks) telling me they were getting two shotted by Rangers as well.

My friend was really excited to get this game but once it installed and he created an account and booted up it said that "See you in Hyboria on May 23rd."

I thought the 20th was the launch, is that correct?

Ferrio

Banned
23rd for Europe. That was a mess up I believe on the US copies.

As for PVP, it hasn't been terrible so far on the RP server.. .but I'm still in tortage. I'll see how bad it gets once I get out... but the rp element is curving some of the random acts of violence.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Masta_Killah said:
If you guys roll pvp, be prepared for spawn camping. Its a bit out of hand atm. I was camped yesterday for 30 min until my guild members showed up and put an end to it. Also, try to do quest in groups as itll give you a fighting chance. And if you see any Ranger in the area(at least <lvl 30), run away. Atm they are waaayy OP. I get 1 shotted by them(ToS) and since they can stealth(stealth detection skill is sorta messed up and doesn't work too well), detecting them is near impossible since they break out of stealth at range. Had Guardian classes(heavy plate armor tanks) telling me they were getting two shotted by Rangers as well.

It's not that bad. From what i gathered in the Beta, there's always guards near the city spawns (where most spawn camping would happen).

Also, EVERY Class in conan can Hide. Not from level 1, but you get the skill eventually. Only 20 in Hide already allows you to hide pretty much everywhere. That's what you need to do if you're getting spawn raped: just hide and go away.

Also, there's a protection aura in the works. You will gain it when you respawn, so people attacking you will get massive damage on themselves.

While rangers are a little overpowered (i am a ranger and i got ganked lots of times already), they're not that killing machine everybody talks about.

Assassins are the really retarded ones. Not only they are 100% in stealth mode, they get a huge chunk of your life when they attack from stealth. Not only that, as soon as they hit 1/4 health, they just walk away and hide back in. I always go after them when i see them PvPing around.

Also, if you're getting camped to death, just change instances.

jestro said:
So what's the consensus PvP or PvE servers?

Deppends if you are a pussy or not. :)

arhra

drizzle said:
Which means it will suck, because if you're both Stygyan and you team up with a friend that chose to go Achellonian, and the other stygyan people decide to attack your acheloninan friend, there's nothing you can do about it.
On the "Culture PVP" servers, grouped people can attack anyone, regardless of race, afaik (which renders the entire ruleset rather pointless, imo).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
jestro said:
lmao. spawn camping != pussy???

If you are affraid that the "bad bad men" are going to kill you, you should go to PVE "Carebears" servers.

That's not me being an ass, that's what they're ACTUALLY called in the community. IT's not their official names, but it's what people say.

I personally chose the PVP servers because in there I can Dish out as much as i take it. If there's a retarded fuck spawn camping everywhere, I, hide and wait for him to attack another dude, so i can kill him. I did it numerous times already. I usually end up dying more than killing, BUT its fun.

I have, more than once, gone to white islands (i just got to level 20, so i'm still in Tortage) just to look around for higher levels than me to kill. I'm not afraid to say that i lost more than i won (in this particular area). Spawn Camping is just retarded and something should be done about it (and apparently funcon is going to do something about it, as i said before).

Here's part of a huge explanation on the PvP, as posted on their official forums:

[url]http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=6613[/url] said:
2.) Server types

2-a.) PvE (Player versus Environment)
This server type is primarily cooperatively designed. You can quest solo or with a team without fear of of being attacked by other players. PvP does exist in the forms of duels and PvP minigames. Carebears should be directed here at each opportunity. _This_ is the server you go to for PvP, purely by definition. Here you can carefully arrange one-on-one matches to your heart's content, and have maximum control over how and when you do PvP.

2-b.) PvP Social (Player versus Player, realm-style)
PvP is only enabled in public areas for the three separate races. If you are teamed with a mix of races, be warned: They may be attacked, and you may not be able to protect or assist them if the attacker shares your specific race. This may change in the future. PK oriented, but realm-level PvP available as well. Interesting mix.

2-c.) PvP FFA (Player versus Player, Free-for-all. The only current choice leaning towards a hardcore rule set)
If you want to PvP, do not come to this server. Seriously. This server isn't about standard PvP, it's all about Pk and severe difficulty. Join one of these servers only if you're looking for the maximum level of difficulty possible. Do not come to FFA if you want to become a level 80 with top-notch gear as soon as possible. Do not come if you just want to "pwn nubs", as this will likely see you perma-spawncamped and being beaten to obliteration. DO come if you are a bodycount, griefer, spawnkiller, or trophy hunter. PK here flourishes.

4.) The epic myth of the theory of "Fairness" on a FFA server.

4-a.) Allow me to be perfectly blunt, here. No matter what you do, someone out there already thought of it, and a very good way to counter it. You WILL encounter people who seem to have an almost magical ability to take everything you have to throw at them, laugh as you do it, then quickly respond by annihilating you so badly that your first response will be to curl up in the fetal position. We've all been there. You will too, without exception. Also, there will be times where multiple people will all attack you, and they will be higher level than you and have better gear. You will also be killed, many times, at various spawn points where it seems impossible to escape. There *are* ways of getting out. (stealthing at the right time, calling backup, know a good trophy hunter, ect.) If you go on a FFA server expecting the elusive fairness fairy to follow you Link-style, you're going to be branded a Carebear and be soundly disappointed. The point of a FFA server isn't to become a god-like badass. It will never happen. The point of a FFA server is to say to the world, "Even with massive adversary, challenges, and a near zero survival rate, I thrived and held my own."

It goes on and explains lots of things. If you want (and can), click the quote link. HE also says a buncha crap about trophy hunters and whatnot, stuff i don't really care about, but it's good to know the "community" does it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
what the hell?

I registered my key, and made an account but when I try to log into the game it fails authentication.

I can log in to manage my account but I can't play the game I'm paying for, thanks Funcom!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Kodiak said:
what the hell?

I registered my key, and made an account but when I try to log into the game it fails authentication.

I can log in to manage my account but I can't play the game I'm paying for, thanks Funcom!

It's called Maintenance. Happens everyday (For now). As said before, in this very thread, that's what happens when you get early into a MMO. You're, technically, paying to be a beta tester.

Anyway, servers should be up again in 10 minutes. (which, in funcon's case, usually means in about an hour or so).

Unless they changed the time again.

Edit: it's also written on the loader's news area.

drizzle said:
It's not that bad. From what i gathered in the Beta, there's always guards near the city spawns (where most spawn camping would happen).

Also, EVERY Class in conan can Hide. Not from level 1, but you get the skill eventually. Only 20 in Hide already allows you to hide pretty much everywhere. That's what you need to do if you're getting spawn raped: just hide and go away.

Also, there's a protection aura in the works. You will gain it when you respawn, so people attacking you will get massive damage on themselves.

While rangers are a little overpowered (i am a ranger and i got ganked lots of times already), they're not that killing machine everybody talks about.

Assassins are the really retarded ones. Not only they are 100% in stealth mode, they get a huge chunk of your life when they attack from stealth. Not only that, as soon as they hit 1/4 health, they just walk away and hide back in. I always go after them when i see them PvPing around.

Also, if you're getting camped to death, just change instances.

Deppends if you are a pussy or not. :)

They rolled back the patch that had the respawn buff, so atm there is no buff when you respawn(might have changed if they patched it since yesterday). Hiding only works if you can get out of sight from your captures(might be different for you since your a rouge class). You can't hide right when you spawn. Also, you can attack and kill people in the cities. Guards do not attack gankers like they do in WoW.

grate

Masta_Killah said:
They rolled back the patch that had the respawn buff, so atm there is no buff when you respawn(might have changed if they patched it since yesterday). Hiding only works if you can get out of sight from your captures(might be different for you since your a rouge class). You can't hide right when you spawn. Also, you can attack and kill people in the cities. Guards do not attack gankers like they do in WoW.

I haven't had too many problems.

You can change your instance before spawning if people are spawn camping you continuously in your current instance. Chances are the other instance won't have people doing this.

I feel like an asshole, I found 4 collector editions at best buy and bought them up. Selling them on ebay now and might keep one for myself. I will be getting on the game next week sometime

Defcon

Banned
I'm still on the fence about getting the game. My laptop is a 1.8 dual core, 2 gig ram, with an 8400M GS. Have the patches improved performance enough where I could play with a decent frame rate on lowest settings?

Kintaco

Broadbandito said:
I feel like an asshole, I found 4 collector editions at best buy and bought them up. Selling them on ebay now and might keep one for myself. I will be getting on the game next week sometime
Don't feel guilty, I wasn't able to get the CE. I was a couple mins too late when I went to BB. If it weren't for my son being so sick and throwing up in the car and me having to stop to clean him up, I would have had it. But don't let that add to your guilt, you should be happy that you were able to get those CEs.

Actually I picked up two copies of the CE from BB, I didn't have the heart to buy all five like you. :D I am reselling one on eBay and will decide what I do with the second one this weekend. The regular one is $40 at CC and I have a $10 gift card, so that is definitely tempting me as well.

Kintaco said:
Don't feel guilty, I wasn't able to get the CE. I was a couple mins too late when I went to BB. If it weren't for my son being so sick and throwing up in the car and me having to stop to clean him up, I would have had it. But don't let that add to your guilt, you should be happy that you were able to get those CEs.

Actually I picked up two copies of the CE from BB, I didn't have the heart to buy all five like you. :D I am reselling one on eBay and will decide what I do with the second one this weekend. The regular one is $40 at CC and I have a $10 gift card, so that is definitely tempting me as well.

Yea, Plus i have 4 mammoth mount codes, those go for 40-70 themselves. I have 2 CEs up with the mammoth codes, 1 without. then I have 2 more codes and 1 more CE, i dont know what im gonna do until the others sell. If i turn enough profit to pay for my own CE and then some, or I make a lot, then i might sell the other one, use the profit to upgrade my pc and go buy the normal edition

Atrophis

Masta_Killah said:

Accoring to Keen and Greavs blog rangers were nerfed into uselessness in the beta. Strange.

Whelp, I caved.

Saw the Collector's Edition on sale at the Chelsea Best Buy (Manhattan) and couldn't resist picking it up.

:D

If anyone is still looking for one in the city, try there, they had a few.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Urgh, I OC'd my E6300 up to around 2.5 Ghz and now I have graphical artifacting where there was none before. Oh well. My X1950 has met it's match.

Not sure why I'd really want to do this.. But since this is a "Games for Windows" game, could one potentially use the Xbox 360 controller to play?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I like this game but my gaming Labtop (Dell XPS 2.40 GHz Core Duo, 3 gigs of ram, GF 8600M GT) doesn't run it well enough for me.

I'm debating weather to get a desktop to run it or just waiting for the Xbox version. I know there was a thread a while back on making a cheap PC that was able to run Crysis, would something like that handle this game on High?

Flambe

I want this game.

Have a great computer, but atm only dialup internet access. I can run other MMOs decently enough, but the active combat system worries me. Anyone else on dialup and can play well enough, or knows of someone =p

My rig: C2D E6600
2 GB RAM
8800 GT OC

Running this game at 16x10, DX 10, maximum in-game settings (AAx4, AFx18) I get an average of 25fps. At least in the beginning part, this jungle in the pics below.

For some reason, hitting shift-F12 won't work for me, the screen turns mostly white see last pic.

23mvk3t.png

2wgahic.png

11r422b.png

28i9imc.png

Pewp

Holy mother of god. This game has been installing and patching for the past 3 hours! Says I have 7 hours until the patch is done. This can't be correct, can it?

LowParry

ezekial45 said:
To the people who have spent a lot of time with it, how are you liking it?

I'd give it a 8/10. There are some great great things about it. But there are some minor annoyances (UI) but overall, a very good experiance so far. And I'm only lower level. I can't wait to get past lvl 20 and see what the game really offers.

HooYaH

Pewp said:
Holy mother of god. This game has been installing and patching for the past 3 hours! Says I have 7 hours until the patch is done. This can't be correct, can it?

What's your d/l speed? I downloaded the patch in 20 mins.

Top Bottom