• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

CcrooK said:
I'd give it a 8/10. There are some great great things about it. But there are some minor annoyances (UI) but overall, a very good experiance so far. And I'm only lower level. I can't wait to get past lvl 20 and see what the game really offers.

What is the level cap? Wow if the game only starts at level 20...

EDIT: level 80...god...damn...

EDIT #2: Zug is down... :(

iamblades

cpro said:
So why is 20 the big turning point in the game?

You get access to the whole rest of the world, you get 2 feats, a bunch of new combos/abilities, and you get into the third tier on the feat trees, where it starts getting good.

I think from 20-40 I have about quadrupled the number of my abilities.

Speaking as a guardian, afer 20 you get all your 'buffs' basically after level 20, your maneuvers and strategems and the like.

Basically, when FC was designing the game, there were thinking you wouldn't pick your class until level 20, and the remnants of this can still be seen in the similarity of classes prior to that point. up till 20, all you really get is your basic class combos that you will be using to do damage with. After 20 you get all the things that make your class truly unique. Like in my Guardian's case, the 3 sets of buffs I got to customize myself and my group's offensive or defensive capabilities.

CcrooK said:
I'd give it a 8/10. There are some great great things about it. But there are some minor annoyances (UI) but overall, a very good experiance so far. And I'm only lower level. I can't wait to get past lvl 20 and see what the game really offers.

You'll shit bricks once you leave Tortage.

Nira_picture006.png

Thats gotta hurt! :lol

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I have two Keys to get that drinking cape...no plans to play retail anytime in forseeable future. Can I give these to someone I know if I like?

Kintaco

Mr Pockets said:
I have two Keys to get that drinking cape...no plans to play retail anytime in forseeable future. Can I give these to someone I know if I like?
Yes you can, and yes I would gladly take one off your hands. :D

White Man

This game needs a few performance patches. It doesn't run consistently at all. It's a shame, because I rather like it. It tops out in the 40s for me, but when wandering around Tortage, it's regularly 15-20. I'm running on medium settings at 1920x1200 (bumping it down to 1680x1050 doesn't make a huge difference), with world shadows turned off (because they are ugly and glitchy) and reflections neutered (because that's usually a good way to improve perf without a hit). I'm running in DX9. I have an 8800 GTS with 640 megs of RAM and 3.0 Ghz quad cores. I'm kinda bummed, but I do like what I see so far, even if the skill system seems kinda wonky and opaque to me.

Darkone

From what i am reading in this thread i see the game is very good.
I have a few questions regarding the game:

1. Is that true that there is Prestige class, if so when can you choose it?
2. Are there uniqe class quest, like if i am a Tempest of Set can i get special quests and get to places no other class can? (after level 20)
3. in what way the PVP reward you, like do you get XP?

Thanks

White Man said:
This game needs a few performance patches. It doesn't run consistently at all. It's a shame, because I rather like it. It tops out in the 40s for me, but when wandering around Tortage, it's regularly 15-20. I'm running on medium settings at 1920x1200 (bumping it down to 1680x1050 doesn't make a huge difference), with world shadows turned off (because they are ugly and glitchy) and reflections neutered (because that's usually a good way to improve perf without a hit). I'm running in DX9. I have an 8800 GTS with 640 megs of RAM and 3.0 Ghz quad cores. I'm kinda bummed, but I do like what I see so far, even if the skill system seems kinda wonky and opaque to me.

Yeah people on the Conan forums are saying that the game has memory leaks. My fps has dropped since EA from 30-40fps solid mid/high settings to 10-40fps mid settings w/ shadows off, aa off, bloom off, dropped to shader 2.x/2.0, etc., etc

verio said:
It's in the OP.

Or, go here.

Age of Conan GAF Meet Up

Guess I'll roll a new alt there. I actually joined Bane, when the meet up was originally there. Then Bane turned to the Culture server and ended up thinking GAF would go to Deathwisper since a lot of big guilds from other games were coming in to that one.

How is Doomsayer? Deathwisper is a bit too crazy with the pvping. I like to solo so I have to wait till twilight to get any quest done. And the pvpers here are pretty brutal. They even attack their own guildies. :lol

Getting this tomorrow, but I have to go night clubbing on Friday and Saturday because of people birthdays. I'm going to be thinking about AoC the whole time, even during the possible but unlikely sex I might be having.

Man...

Justin

Darkone said:
From what i am reading in this thread i see the game is very good.
I have a few questions regarding the game:

1. Is that true that there is Prestige class, if so when can you choose it?
2. Are there uniqe class quest, like if i am a Tempest of Set can i get special quests and get to places no other class can? (after level 20)
3. in what way the PVP reward you, like do you get XP?

Thanks

1) They took the prestige classes out.

2) There are unique quests for the 4 archetypes from level 1-20 and then at level 30 and 50. For example all the rogue classes (Barb, Ranger, Assassin) share the same quest lines. They are your "destiny quests" and they are done solo.

3) There is no PvP reward system in yet. In the future they will have a separate leveling track for PVP that has 20 levels. It wont be weighted like the WOW system but it will penalize you for being killed. In the beta you lost 3 times the amount of PVP xp from being killed as you did from getting a kill. Once you reach a new PVP level you can not de-level. Keeps are in the game though so people are working towards capturing those.

Justin

Ferrio said:
Screw deathwhisper, aren't the goons on there?

I'm enjoying Cimmeria anyways. RP-PVP ftw.

Yes we are and we are already KOS by every single guild on the server. We have also trolled the offical server forums so hard that the GMs have started banning forum acounts and sending messages that say "Go back to somethingawful". It is awesome.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Justin said:
Yes we are and we are already KOS by every single guild on the server. We have also trolled the offical server forums so hard that the GMs have started banning forum acounts and sending messages that say "Go back to somethingawful". It is awesome.

sounds childish

Justin

EvaPlusMinus said:
sounds childish

Trolling "MMOS ARE SERIOUS BUSNIESS" guilds is not childish, it is the way we play.

I got my PoM to 34 today and am having a great time. I am feeling way overpowered right now. There is a feat that adds a nasty direct AOE attack to our main heal. The thing is that the heal only has a cast time of 0.5 seconds and a 3 second cool down. So not only does it do between 370-410 dmg to everything around me but also puts heals. Word going around is that it is going to be nerfed tomorrow.

And a leveling tip. Once you get to 29 or 30 if you want to grind out a few levels grab a 2 or 3 people and go to the Black Castle. Fight your way up to the third floor and in the last room camp out. The room is a huge circle with the boss in the center and about 20-30 enemies around him. They respawn almost faster then you can kill them and the boss always drops a green. I went from 30-33 in under 2 hours.

Atrophis

fizzelopeguss said:
they pay to join a forum, not exactly the smartest bunch.
Anyway looks like deathwhisper is where all the retard guilds have gone, keeps them away from the rest of you.

Smart enough to be building a city before anyone else. Kinda puts the efforts of a hardcore gaming forum like this one to shame dont you think?

Atrophis said:
Smart enough to be building a city before anyone else. Kinda puts the efforts of a hardcore gaming forum like this one to shame dont you think?

Since when is success in an MMO based on smarts, or anything except spending lots of time playing? I mean, that's the appeal of MMOs: you can suck at video games, feel like you're great at them, and show the world your greatness.

Justin said:
Trolling "MMOS ARE SERIOUS BUSNIESS" guilds is not childish, it is the way we play.

Ah, now I understand why it is not childish.

Atrophis

Open Source said:
Since when is success in an MMO based on smarts, or anything except spending lots of time playing? I mean, that's the appeal of MMOs: you can suck at video games, feel like you're great at them, and show the world your greatness.

Depends on the MMO. PVP based MMO's do tend to be more skill based. Its not twich skill like you'd need for DMC or whatever, but there is certainly skill in learning the mechanics of the game, what other classes are capable of and how to defeat them. Then theres games like Shadowbane and Eve that take a lot of organisation and leadership skills to be successful in. I think the combat system and collision detection in AoC has the potential to make it a more skill dependent game, especially in seiges.

Anyways if you've ever played Eve you'd know that the goons are pretty nuts when it comes to organising in a PVP environment, considering they own most of the map now...

CoLaN

Dorfdad said:
is it me or is your text bock darkened? How the hell did you do this? I can not find a transparency adjuster at all!!!

Press Esc and go to the interface options, there are 2 sliders for that at the bottom :p

Atrophis said:
Depends on the MMO. PVP based MMO's do tend to be more skill based. Its not twich skill like you'd need for DMC or whatever, but there is certainly skill in learning the mechanics of the game, what other classes are capable of and how to defeat them. Then theres games like Shadowbane and Eve that take a lot of organisation and leadership skills to be successful in. I think the combat system and collision detection in AoC has the potential to make it a more skill dependent game, especially in seiges.

Anyways if you've ever played Eve you'd know that the goons are pretty nuts when it comes to organising in a PVP environment, considering they own most of the map now...

MMOs are knowledge-based, not skill-based. Most people don't come up with their own strategies for PvP and PvE; they just read about how to win on the web and follow instructions. Organization and leadership means you have 5 people with those skills who know what they're doing and 100 people who are good at doing what they are told. And at that point you're getting into the realm of interpersonal skills instead of traditional video game skills.

Raggy

Banned
are there any penalties for ress killing at all?

and are there any bonuses to killing ppl except to annoy them? (loot? xp?)

johnnyg87

Neo Member
if anyone cant get on doomsayer... like me last night haha and wants to play pvp join up bloodspire and look me up: Flavaflav - Guardian

grate

johnnyg87 said:
if anyone cant get on doomsayer... like me last night haha and wants to play pvp join up bloodspire and look me up: Flavaflav - Guardian

Nataku has clarified this in the meet up page.
If the server is listing the capacity as 'heavy' you will have to wait for it to go back to 'normal' before making a character on the server.

woobit

Those of you who have played some hours now, how does the art style hold up? It looks technically awsome, but I'm not digging the overall style of the builings, characters nor the landscape. And the UI looks kinda strange... But this is based purely on screenshots.

Getting this as soon as possible though, which means in three weeks - when all the exams are done and I have vacation off work

Justin

woobit said:
Those of you who have played some hours now, how does the art style hold up? It looks technically awsome, but I'm not digging the overall style of the builings, characters nor the landscape. And the UI looks kinda strange... But this is based purely on screenshots.

Getting this as soon as possible though, which means in three weeks - when all the exams are done and I have vacation off work

The art is pretty amazing as you move out of the starter zone. You have to see the scale and detail of some of the cities and zones to believe it. I know some people were looking for something a bit more "high fantasy" but you wont find it here. If you like the wow art style with big exaggerated armor and weapons you might be disappointed.

Top Bottom