• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

derder

I think they wre attempting to future proof this MMO, much in the same vein as EQ2 IIRC. Even if you have the best hardware, you shouldn't be able to max everything at 60fps. Just scale it back like the rest of us. And like the PP said, bloom and shadows cause the most "damage."

grate

Flynn said:
It's been a million years since I played a PvP game, so I may not understand how things work, but is it usual for you to spawn in the same place and have people just sit there and kill you every fucking time you spawn. It's fucking obnoxious. You can't even quit the game from the death menu, so you're fucking stuck until the asshole decides to stop sitting on the spawn.

I posted this earlier in the thread and it was mentioned above.
You can change your instance by clicking the upside down triangle next to the map, select a different instance and spawn in the new copy of the world.

There is also a second ress. point in White Sands as well, by the Mausoleum. You have to discover it in order to ress by it.

FamousCanuck said:
Hate to say it but this game sounds like a glitchy mess.

As far as launches go, this has been one of the smoothest I have seen. I take it you haven't played many MMOs at launch. Yes there are problems with some zones, yes the traders aren't working. These things will be fixed soon enough.

The servers have been stable as has the client.

Looks like a new update is going up too:

Update Notes 23rd of May
Playfields
* Characters should no longer get stuck when they zone into Lacheish Plains.

Items
* Nalla now has a more solid supply of items to sell.
* Potent Bittersharp potion now again heals hitpoints instead of stamina

Mobs
* King Atzel have gotten a revamp. Buff spells have been redone he uses combos.
* The patrols in Atzel's Fortress now respawn faster

Quests
* Destiny Quest 80 Cimmeria: The Grim Grey God - The Soul Chamber - Charm of Protection now works again inside Onyx Chambers.
* Invading the Supply Camp: It is now possible to trick Supply Master Vorgir to come out of his tent by destroying his ale cask.
* Xan's Bounty: A message in the bottle will now send you on a journey to kill an ape queen on a distant island near White Sands.

Crafting
* Recipes should no longer disappear when you get advanced skills.
* Armorsmith crafting Tier 2 now shows second page of recipes.
* The price Tamder mentions when players get gemcutting quests is now correct.
* Resources gathered now end up in the correct inventory again if more than one player is gathering the same resource.

Spellweaving
* Spellweaving has been temporarily disabled for Tempest of Set due to a recent bug.

People complaining about the glitches are obviously new to the genre. With MMO's you are lucky to even be playing the game in the first week. WoW had a massive debacle over this. Server stability is the biggest foe, bugs can always be ironed out later. Funcom are a dedicated company and things can only get better from here.

derder

Right, in any other MMO, they would take down the servers until they fixed the problem. Now, we can play until they release a bunch of fixes at the same time and its only down for a short time.

Yaweee

Have MMO launches been getting better? I recall the LOTRO launch being extremely smooth, asides from the total-lack of different server rules and forced RP.

j-wood said:
Yeah, if you want to start handing out the "smoothest launch" award, that goes to LOTRO.

Dark Age of Camelot was a good launch as well, in terms of server stability. Still had its bugs and balance issues though.

grate

j-wood said:
Yeah, if you want to start handing out the "smoothest launch" award, that goes to LOTRO.

I don't see anybody handing out any awards.
I simply said it was one of the smoothest launches I have seen.

Flambe

Are there any mirrors first the first huge-ass patch? I'd like to take a usb drive to somewhere with highspeed and download it instead of waiting for another *checks launcher* 40 hours :lol

CcrooK said:

Awesome shots. And you did a great job with your character too! She looks really good!

Must...not....give in....to temptation...

Someone said 30 days for the buddy keys, is this true? I think I can hold out that long...I think. :D

Flambe said:
Are there any mirrors first the first huge-ass patch? I'd like to take a usb drive to somewhere with highspeed and download it instead of waiting for another *checks launcher* 40 hours :lol

40 hours? Holy hell, where are you?

As far as I know the patch can only come from the patching client.

Flambe

TheHeretic said:
40 hours? Holy hell, where are you?

25 minutes out of Prince George, B.C. All the actual lines for highspeed are up, it's just the friggin switchboard or whatever for the area is old-school and doesn't support it. If someone were to drive a truck through the little building though they'd have to replace it. hmmm

Flambe said:
25 minutes out of Prince George, B.C. All the actual lines for highspeed are up, it's just the friggin switchboard or whatever for the area is old-school and doesn't support it. If someone were to drive a truck through the little building though they'd have to replace it. hmmm

:lol

Bad luck, mate.

Open Source said:
Sims Online was pretty smooth. One of the reasons for that is that Sims Online was a very non-played game.

I think the reason Funcom was pushing the preorders so hard was to get an accurate idea of demand for the game. Smart move, as they seem to be handling it.

Soroc

Well I bit, I couldn't help it after seeing the new impressions and screenshots and their last two trailers :lol :lol

I rolled a Priest of Mitra (Aliyyah) on PVE Server Zug. First my GOD this game is night and day difference between the Open Access and the final client. I had repeated crashes throughout the Open Access with a lot of hitching and framerate issues. All of this is gone. I got a good few hours in last night got up to lvl 13 and must say I am truly loving this game. The quests are cool, the cutscenes and voice acting really do make it feel like a singleplayer experience and it just seems cool to see other RL people moving around doing their own thang in the background during these cutscenes.

If anyone was on the fence and worried about the performance from Open Access I can tell you its all fixed now. I was running at 1680x1050 high settings and getting 30-45fps, never dropping below that.

Couple of weird things I noticed though.

1) why am I seeing lvl 50 items with horrible dps dropping off of low lvl bosses/minibosses? :lol is this a glitch and they are supposed to be lower level items coming up wrong?

2) I started to get feats but I haven't used them yet because I'm not sure how many points I have to allocate. Am I missing it somewhere? I can't seem to see anywhere where it would say 5 points remaining or something like that to use.

3) As a healer I'm wondering if there are any group dungeons/instances to run at lower lvls like when I leave tortage after lvl 20. I haven't seen any or heard of any yet. What lvls do you really start to need grouping for some epic dungeons. I'd really like to start healing up some peeps :D

All in all though I'm fucking hooked and sitting at work waiting for this day to be over to get my greedy paws back on this game.

grate

Soroc said:
1) why am I seeing lvl 50 items with horrible dps dropping off of low lvl bosses/minibosses? :lol is this a glitch and they are supposed to be lower level items coming up wrong?

2) I started to get feats but I haven't used them yet because I'm not sure how many points I have to allocate. Am I missing it somewhere? I can't seem to see anywhere where it would say 5 points remaining or something like that to use.

3) As a healer I'm wondering if there are any group dungeons/instances to run at lower lvls like when I leave tortage after lvl 20. I'd really like to start healing up some peeps :D

1. I think this is an unintended to drop from the boss where the key to the first gate is. It was in the open and closed beta, was it a level 50 dagger with like level 5 stats? lol

Its the only out of place item I have seen drop. I never reported it, seemed silly though.

2. You should get a message in the center of your screen saying you have 'x' points to use.

3. I believe the group instances start around 30.
However, group xp penalty is pretty negligent and shouldn't hurt you from leveling if you want to play with others.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
After hearing the Anarchy Online horror stories I was expecting the worst stability-wise, but I haven't had a single problem. Granted I haven't left Tortage yet because I'm trying out all of the classes before I settle on one.

Soroc

grate said:
1. I think this is an unintended to drop from the boss where the key to the first gate is. It was in the open and closed beta, was it a level 50 dagger with like level 5 stats? lol

Its the only out of place item I have seen drop. I never reported it, seemed silly though.

2. You should get a message in the center of your screen saying you have 'x' points to use.

3. I believe the group instances start around 30.
However, group xp penalty is pretty negligent and shouldn't hurt you from leveling if you want to play with others.

1)Yeah that first boss it happened to me in Open Access and thought the same thing, I was really surprised to see it in the final build. But yeah I must have sold at least 20 lvl 50 weapons yesterday during my play up to lvl 13 Every boss and miniboss dropped one for me :lol and yes! they did all have really crappy stats :lol :lol

2) Does that message come up everytime I pull up the feats menu?

3) Can't wait to get to 30 then and really get into the stuff that was made for groups :D

4) One more question I just though of, is there an armor preview window like there is in WoW where you can see the armor/weapons before buying them?

Thanks for the answers!

Kyoufu

I just bitched at Gamestation customer service. They've agreed on a Saturday delivery meaning I get to whore it over the 3 day weekend with my friend, fuck yeah.

How many solo levels do we go through? Is it 20?

Soroc

Kyoufu said:
I just bitched at Gamestation customer service. They've agreed on a Saturday delivery meaning I get to whore it over the 3 day weekend with my friend, fuck yeah.

Yes by lvl 20 you should be finishing up Tortage and then leaving for your homeland. It goes by super fast too

grate

Soroc said:
1)Yeah that first boss it happened to me in Open Access and thought the same thing, I was really surprised to see it in the final build. But yeah I must have sold at least 20 lvl 50 weapons yesterday during my play up to lvl 13 Every boss and miniboss dropped one for me :lol and yes! they did all have really crappy stats :lol :lol

2) Does that message come up everytime I pull up the feats menu?

4) One more question I just though of, is there an armor preview window like there is in WoW where you can see the armor/weapons before buying them?

Thanks for the answers!

1. That's really weird, I've only seen the one level 50 dagger drop from the gate key boss. I honestly think it's something no one bothered to report. Again, it is the only out of place item I have seen drop, and I have invested a great deal of time. Probably a typo on the item level.

Make sure you aren't confusing the fact that your class will limit the items you can equip.

2. I can't remember. If you are level 13, you have 4 points to spend. At level 20 instead of getting one point they give you 2 for hitting 20.

4. Haven't checked to be honest, so I am not sure. I don't believe so though, but I may be wrong.

I am not at my pc right now.

Soroc

grate said:
1. That's really weird, I've only seen the one level 50 dagger drop from the gate key boss. I honestly think it's something no one bothered to report. Again, it is the only out of place item I have seen drop, and I have invested a great deal of time. Probably a typo on the item level.

Make sure you aren't confusing the fact that your class will limit the items you can equip.

I am not at my pc right now.

Yeah I think this is what dollar was talking about. I'm a POM and can only use maces/1h blunt weapons, so I'm guessing its AOC's way of just telling me I'll prolly never be able to use these weapons :( :lol

I'm not at my PC either and its killing me! :lol :lol But at least my job is letting me out half a day early for memorial day weekend! So I won't be away much longer :D

Atrophis

Kyoufu said:

Do you know how much are gamestation selling the standard edition for? Need to go run out and grab a copy tomorrow at some point. Assuming i give in and purchase my new rig from ebuyer later on :lol The lure of hardcoring it all bank holiday weekend is too great!

Kyoufu

Atrophis said:
Do you know how much are gamestation selling the standard edition for? Need to go run out and grab a copy tomorrow at some point. Assuming i give in and purchase my new rig from ebuyer later on :lol The lure of hardcoring it all bank holiday weekend is too great!

Well I've ordered it online which is 59.99. I THINK the stores are selling it for 10 pounds more, but don't quote me on that.

Well, after pre-ordering 10 collector's editions from overstock.com and 1 from amazon.com, I ended up with a grand total of 1! Overstock shipped one and said they didn't have the other 9 and gave me $20 to compensate. Amazon said that Eidos was printing more (!) and gave me $10 for the delay.

So much for my latest get-rich-quick scheme :/

johnnyg87

Neo Member
there was 80 some odd thousand of them made... theyre all numbered too. Theyre sold out in most places but there's still a few to be found. theyre going for a killing on ebay too.

matmanx1

My first official post on the 'Gaf. Glad to be here. :D It's a copy of a post I made elsewhere but is sums up my feelings on AoC pretty well.

Got my Ranger in the low 20's running around Wildlands and Conall's Valley (sp) and my Bear Shaman up to 19 ready to do the last part of his destiny quest. Here are some random thoughts that have come to me while playing.

1)The Tortage experience in and of itself is ok. Even good at times. But it in no way compares to the scale and beauty of the zones I have seen since I left. Old Tarantia, Wildlands, Conall's Valley, Conarch Village are all visually and aurally stunning. Seriously, someone should get a medal for graphic and sound design.

2)The leveling experience up to 20 for both of my characters has been night and day different. My Bear Shaman has been rather like beating my head against the wall at times and I've nearly given up on him a couple of times, especially during the single player destiny quests I would die 4 or more times on certain steps. It improved somewhat at level 15 when I got a melee knockback/down that hits everyone you are facing and some new combos but still, it's been a bit of struggle. I keep hearing its going to get better so I will keep plugging away but as of right now he's only going to come out to play when I can group with one of my RL friends.

The Ranger, on the other hand, has been a breeze. Lots of damage right from the beginning (I suspect AoC uses damage tables like EQ1 did and rogue archetypes are always going to do the most dps, even with equal stats and weapons) and 2 types of crowd control available by level 10. Last night in Wildlands I was taking on up to 3 mobs that were 3 levels over me without breaking much of a sweat. And I dont even have stances yet, which will up my bow dmg by 30%.

3)Unintuitive. Alot of the game is just downright unintuitive. The chat interface of course. The instance system. Emoting. Adding friends and group members. Hidden abilities (seriously, how was I supposed to know that any normal bow shot from stealth would "mez" my target for 10 seconds??) and new combos and abilities that dont automatically show up on a hotbar when you get them. (True Story: I had a lvl 19 bear shaman ask my bear shaman yesterday when he would get new spells as the only thing he had was renewal or whatever that first heal proc you get is. The poor sap had never opened his combos and abilities tab and noticed the whole line of new spells and buffs!) Yikes.

4)I'm shocked the game is this good. Yes, I know the game still has alot of bugs and issues and balance problems. Even so, I wasnt expecting this level of quality. AoC is genuinely fun, looks and sounds great and presents a world that I want to spend alot of time in. I would even go (at the risk of sounding like a fanboy) so far as to say it's enthralling. I was beginning to think that no one outside of Blizzard could create a beautiful and engaging MMO space. In this case, I am very happy to be wrong.

Short initial review:

I started on the 20th in the US, ffa PvP, with a Barbarian. Currently level 24.

Strengths:
Lots of quests to do, no 'grinding' needed per se to level
Dynamic interaction with your toon
Character customization >>> everyone looks different
PvP is great
Destiny questline keeps you entertained throughout, even when doing 'normal' quests
Graphics...wow
Lots of different classes to play
I feel immersed in the world of Hyboria

Weaknesses:
NPC/Quest/World glitches >>> duh I know still a new game
The interface seems a bit weak, hard to invite to groups, the UI is very basic, chat window is messy and unclear
The maps have a limited role in dealing with viewing where your group is. They seem to be only visible for a very very short range and cannot be seen on the larger map is out of this range.
Dealing specifically with the barb, stamina is needed to perform their combos. Stam is also needed for the sprint function which drains it quick. There is an attribute feature to reduce that which I might do but you can see where this is going. Casters/healers kiting with no reprieve with regards to the stam issue. Will be relegated to standard swings.

My biggest complaint with the game is the instancing. Many of you are concerned about this and for good reason. You do NOT walk from zone A to zone B. You go through a gate, talk to an NPC or take a boat etc. When in a zone, if grouped with people, you are unable to see which zone you are currently in so you cannot tell everyone else which instance to go to. Even cities are instanced.

I understand the 'need' for this to a degree. Cuts down on interweb lag, FPS issues. Can design smaller zones with more detail. If someone is killing mobs for your quest you can, a) kill them or b) go to a different instance.

Largely it is frustrating. A part of me liked being able to walk from one side of a world to the other(I refuse to name that game). The flawless transition from zones I think is an integral part to a mmo, but it turns out not necessary if that makes sense heh.

Recommendation:
If you are bored with the selection of mmos currently available to the market, if you like detailed quest stories, attention to detail in regards to just about all aspects and don't mind dealing with the negatives I think you should play. Keep in mind the PC requirement(don't underestimate). Without reservation I would recommend if you are on the border to getting it.

johnnyg87 said:
there was 80 some odd thousand of them made... theyre all numbered too. Theyre sold out in most places but there's still a few to be found. theyre going for a killing on ebay too.

They made more - 110,000 at last count, and Amazon says Eidos is making more, as well as packaging some kind of guide into the ones they are making now. Kind of lame considering that it's supposed to be limited, but I guess I can't complain since amazon's not going to ship me one unless those new ones are made.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Laughterjones said:
Short initial review:

I started on the 20th in the US, ffa PvP, with a Barbarian. Currently level 24.

Strengths:
Lots of quests to do, no 'grinding' needed per se to level
Dynamic interaction with your toon
Character customization >>> everyone looks different
PvP is great
Destiny questline keeps you entertained throughout, even when doing 'normal' quests
Graphics...wow
Lots of different classes to play
I feel immersed in the world of Hyboria

Weaknesses:
NPC/Quest/World glitches >>> duh I know still a new game
The interface seems a bit weak, hard to invite to groups, the UI is very basic, chat window is messy and unclear
The maps have a limited role in dealing with viewing where your group is. They seem to be only visible for a very very short range and cannot be seen on the larger map is out of this range.
Dealing specifically with the barb, stamina is needed to perform their combos. Stam is also needed for the sprint function which drains it quick. There is an attribute feature to reduce that which I might do but you can see where this is going. Casters/healers kiting with no reprieve with regards to the stam issue. Will be relegated to standard swings.

My biggest complaint with the game is the instancing. Many of you are concerned about this and for good reason. You do NOT walk from zone A to zone B. You go through a gate, talk to an NPC or take a boat etc. When in a zone, if grouped with people, you are unable to see which zone you are currently in so you cannot tell everyone else which instance to go to. Even cities are instanced.

I understand the 'need' for this to a degree. Cuts down on interweb lag, FPS issues. Can design smaller zones with more detail. If someone is killing mobs for your quest you can, a) kill them or b) go to a different instance.

Largely it is frustrating. A part of me liked being able to walk from one side of a world to the other(I refuse to name that game). The flawless transition from zones I think is an integral part to a mmo, but it turns out not necessary if that makes sense heh.

Recommendation:
If you are bored with the selection of mmos currently available to the market, if you like detailed quest stories, attention to detail in regards to just about all aspects and don't mind dealing with the negatives I think you should play. Keep in mind the PC requirement(don't underestimate). Without reservation I would recommend if you are on the border to getting it.

if the cities are instanced, where are the meet up spots then??

grate

Laughterjones said:

The group leader's instance will have a star next to it.
If you are in the same instance as the group leader, no star will show.
It really wouldn't hurt for them to make this clearer though. :/
The mini map also needs to show your party members in a clearer fashion, a minor complaint which I'm sure will eventually be addressed.
From my group experiences, once in a group your group stays together even as you zone to different parts of the world.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
johnnyg87 said:
if the cities are instanced, where are the meet up spots then??
You can easily change which instance of a particular zone you are in by clicking the small downwards arrow in the NW corner of the mini map (gives a list of available instances, along with their names). Enables easy meetups wherever you are and also allows you to leave a heavily camped zone and try it in another instance.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tunesmith said:
You can easily change which instance of a particular zone you are in by clicking the small downwards arrow in the NW corner of the mini map (gives a list of available instances, along with their names). Enables easy meetups wherever you are and also allows you to leave a heavily camped zone and try it in another instance.

How does this work with world instances? You can just change an instance at anytime when out in the field? How does that work? What if you're fighting something when you switch?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You cannot swap while engaged in combat, but you can change instance in whichever zone you are, only exception being if there are no other instances available due to low population to begin with.

Once you swap you get teleported to the nearest resurrection point of the zone that you have discovered.

Ferrio

Banned
nataku said:
How many players does a single instance hold?

Might depend on the zone. But I'm guessing around 50. Maybe 100 tops (based on what they've said for seige battles)

Wait, towns are instanced like Guild Wars?

EVERYTHING is instanced. Towns, the zones outside of towns, houses... whatever

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No idea, as far as I've seen there is no visible number telling the population in the zone. But I may be wrong, it's not something which I've paid any attention to.

Twig

Banned
Wait.

I thought it was just the different areas were instanced. I didn't know there were different regional instances, ala Guild Wars. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

If I'm not misunderstanding, that takes away 99% of the reason I wanted this game: ruthless PvP. \:

Only 100 people per zone? Ugh.

Top Bottom