• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
TheOneGuy said:
Wait.

I thought it was just the different areas were instanced. I didn't know there were different regional instances, ala Guild Wars. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

If I'm not misunderstanding, that takes away 99% of the reason I wanted this game: ruthless PvP. \:

Only 100 people per zone? Ugh.

I'm pretty sure the Borderlands zones are structured differently, to allow for huge PVP battles. Anyone know about this?

verio

Open Source said:
Well, after pre-ordering 10 collector's editions from overstock.com and 1 from amazon.com, I ended up with a grand total of 1! Overstock shipped one and said they didn't have the other 9 and gave me $20 to compensate. Amazon said that Eidos was printing more (!) and gave me $10 for the delay.

So much for my latest get-rich-quick scheme :/

What's the point, though? It doesn't look like people are making much over the original costs. Then again, 10x whatever profit isn't that bad.

This one is rich, though. 600 bucks.... 600 bucks... :lol :lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/Age-of-Conan-Co...ZViewItem?hash=item190223870340&_trksid=p4295

Flynn

grate said:
I posted this earlier in the thread and it was mentioned above.
You can change your instance by clicking the upside down triangle next to the map, select a different instance and spawn in the new copy of the world.

Cool. Thanks for this. I didn't have the mausoleum res. point at the time. But being able to change instances will surely help. Really, though, that res point should make you invulnerable and unable to attack.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Ferrio said:
The "huge" battles are capped at 50v50.

thats still pretty big all things considered... i dunno why you'd ever want more than that in an mmorpg.. i can't ever recall in my wow days anything close to that big of just pvp battles

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
johnnyg87 said:
thats still pretty big all things considered... i dunno why you'd ever want more than that in an mmorpg.. i can't ever recall in my wow days anything close to that big of just pvp battles

Alterec Valley says hello

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone else have a bug where whenever something leaves a scorch mark on the ground (falling flaming boulder, spell hits it, etc), the scorch mark shows as a bright white splotch?

Everything else in the game is rendering fine... I hope this is a bug in the game and not with my system.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
_tetsuo_ said:
Alterec Valley says hello

Yeah because comparing WoW's graphic capabilities and AoC's is even remotely close, right?

I have a feeling this cap will be bumped up in the future, after people finally decide their 5 year old rig needs an upgrade.

nataku

FlyinJ said:
Does anyone else have a bug where whenever something leaves a scorch mark on the ground (falling flaming boulder, spell hits it, etc), the scorch mark shows as a bright white splotch?

Everything else in the game is rendering fine... I hope this is a bug in the game and not with my system.

That happens to me, too. I see it all the time as a Demonologist. 8800GTS 320MB here.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Hurray my CE finally came in...sadly I didn't get any pre-order codes from Amazon. Then again the only reason I pre-ordered from them was nobody else had the CE.

grate

Flynn said:
Cool. Thanks for this. I didn't have the mausoleum res. point at the time. But being able to change instances will surely help. Really, though, that res point should make you invulnerable and unable to attack.

Np. I can't confirm this, but from what I've gathered the patch this morning reinstituted the shield of the risen, which should help. I won't be able to confirm this until I am home.

Ferrio

Banned
FlyinJ said:

You mean these?

conanrelease4.jpg

Yep, annoying as hell.

Twig

Banned
johnnyg87 said:
The less people there are in that zone, the less likely it is to break out into a battle with a ton of people.

I mean. Let's say for every 50 people in WoW there are 10 people who like to PvP hardcore (obviously an exaggeration since WoW is like the shittiest PvP ever). You can get technically a much LARGER number of people in a zone. So, say, 500 people in a zone. 100 people wanting to PvP.

If there are only 50 or 100 or whatever people allowed in a zone at a time...

Still, I'm hearing positive impressions from a friend of mine, where people don't like to run. So I'm not as worried as I initially was. And this is supposed to be a big PvP game, so hopefully it attracts a larger number of PvPers, proportionally, than WoW does. Still disappointing, though!

Plus, there's nothing better than killing people and being able to hear them whine about it. :D

Proc

I'm assuming this instancing is a new concept to people because they are WoW/AC players? It was sort of a step backwards kind of feeling for me as well, but its easy to get over. I'm pretty sure EQ2 is this way, along with many other mmos.

FlyinJ said:

I have an 8800GT 512MB

I notice the same thing, I don't see it often because I have no spell like that but part of my Destiny Quest was in a volcano that was erupting. Saw lots of white splotches as pieces of rock would crash into the ground.

PeteJ

Is there an area to PVP on the PVE servers too? I don't like the idea of being attacked at random but at the same time getting into big battles sounds quite neat.

Really struggling to pick a class - is the pure healer fun in AoC? I was a healer in LOTRs and found it very tough going since most people you group with have no idea how to control agro, but it was great when you had a good bunch. I can see what they've done with the melee combat but have they done anything interesting for magic\ranged classes?

Ferrio said:
The "huge" battles are capped at 50v50.

I can't wait to see how my PC handles 50v50.

My only complaint against the game is shitty performance. I have a C2d 2.67, 2gb ram, and a 8800gtx and still struggle with getting a decent framerate in some areas. 50v50? I'll be lucky to exceed 5fps which is extremely dissapointing considering I picked the game up in anticipation of siege battles.

Proc

_tetsuo_ said:
you know what your right. AoC > WoW. OMG

I don't understand you. You were trying to belittle the scale of the battlegrounds in AoC, and now when I prove that you failed at doing so, you try to put words in my mouth. I never said I thought AoC is superior to WoW. I just wouldn't want people in this thread to get the wrong impression of the size of the battlegrounds in AoC in contrast to other popular mmos.

edit: the person you quoted said he couldn't remember anything that came close to the scale of AoC. Thus, 40v40 does come pretty close. Validating your post lol.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Proc said:
I don't understand you. You were trying to belittle the scale of the battlegrounds in AoC, and now when I prove that you failed at doing so, you try to put words in my mouth. I never said I thought AoC is superior to WoW. I just wouldn't want people in this thread to get the wrong impression of the size of the battlegrounds in AoC in contrast to other popular mmos.

I think you took my comments the wrong way. I was wrong about the AV thing but my second comment was kind of mocking the usual hyperbole seen on game forums. 48v48 is fine with me and im sure it will be plenty busy. On top of that who says they cant raise it later on anyway.

Proc

So I'm loving the Dark Templar again. Life drain rank 2 + defensive stance is keeping me alive for multiple mob pulls and my dmg is high enough to down them :) I'm really enjoying this class so far and can't wait to get to lvl 30 for ma heavy armor.

I'm anxious to see how this anti-spawn camp system plays out (the 30 seconds of invulnerability after death/zone in that was patched in today).

thorns

Banned
I gave in and bought the game.. Only reached level 9 so far, as a Demonologist. Unfortunately I can only run the game at with Low settings and 1680x1050 with a Q6000 (2.4Ghz), 256MB 7950GT and 8GB of RAM on Vista 64. I guess I should look to upgrade my graphics card? Or is there something else wrong?

verio

thorns said:
I gave in and bought the game.. Only reached level 9 so far, as a Demonologist. Unfortunately I can only run the game at with Low settings and 1680x1050 with a Q6000 (2.4Ghz), 256MB 7950GT and 8GB of RAM on Vista 64. I guess I should look to upgrade my graphics card? Or is there something else wrong?

Yeah, just upgrade your video card and you should be set.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, I'm having a damn good time in this game. Can't get over how good it runs now. I should try out other games I have, but I just keep playing Conan. :lol

verio said:
What's the point, though? It doesn't look like people are making much over the original costs. Then again, 10x whatever profit isn't that bad.

This one is rich, though. 600 bucks.... 600 bucks... :lol :lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/Age-of-Conan-Co...ZViewItem?hash=item190223870340&_trksid=p4295

My total price for the whole order was $778. The ebay price is probably going to go up because of scarcity, the quality of the game, and the potency of the in-game bonuses the collector's edition gives. Right now it's selling at about $150 a pop minimum, which means over $700 in profit for a couple hours' worth of work boxing the stuff up and mailing it out. If I waited for a couple months, they would probably have the same price trajectory that the World of Warcraft collector's editions did ($200+ very quickly, now in the $1000 range).

By the way, Amazon said that they have a special agreement with Eidos to ship extra collector's editions to fill missing pre-orders (like mine! woohoo!), rather than having to cancel them. They are just waiting on Eidos to add some sort of mini-guide on top of all the other stuff. Amazon pretty much kicks ass at everything, in my experience.

Played till level 9, game is pretty fun so far, I'm digging it much more than a lot of other MMOs I've tried and stopped playing very early on.

jestro

Banned
Kintaro said:
Man, I'm having a damn good time in this game. Can't get over how good it runs now. I should try out other games I have, but I just keep playing Conan. :lol

3 day weekend and Circuit City here I come wooooot!

verio

Kintaro said:

Reassuring to hear. I'm still waiting on my damn shipment. :(

Kintaro

Zzoram said:
PC specs?

E6300 1.86 Ghz Core 2 Duo (I tried overclocking, but my cooling isn't good enough)
2 GB DDR-800
GeForce 9600 GT 512MB DDR3

I'm playing on Medium with some tweaks to up some shadows and such. FPS is very good for me. Between 40-60 FPS depending where I'm playing.

LowParry

Well I'm up to level 30 now. I'll say this, the gather quests for your "tradeskills" sucks balls. I'll post up some pics later on of some new areas I ran into and one of the coolest mobs you'll face.

Kintaro

CcrooK said:
Well I'm up to level 30 now. I'll say this, the gather quests for your "tradeskills" sucks balls. I'll post up some pics later on of some new areas I ran into and one of the coolest mobs you'll face.

Where do you start doing tradeskills?

Also, how is everyone liking the Feats for your class? I'm Dark Templar and not quite sure where to go. I do like how there's a general "Soldier" tree and a couple of more specific stuff for the class.

LowParry

Kintaro said:

Also, how is everyone liking the Feats for your class? I'm Dark Templar and not quite sure where to go. I do like how there's a general "Soldier" tree and a couple of more specific stuff for the class.

You need to be level 20 and it starts in the Black Lotus...something Forest I believe. Can't remember the name. The zone's awesome though. Hell, I show ya now at that mob I fought. The Mantis. Oh, and the home city of Aqui...something blah blah blah.

Asuka_picture007.png

Asuka_picture004.png

Asuka_picture009.png

LowParry

Zzoram said:
So leveling in AoC is faster than WoW? Anybody experience the end game content yet?

It kinda slows down after lvl 20. I don't really expect to be lvl 80 for another...ehhh 2 months? Well if the way I'm playing, it could be less or around that same time. I'm just a MMO junky is all.

Neo 007

Should I or should I not..
Just got to click the 'Buy Now' button on E-bay for AU$71.00...is this good value fellow slayers?

LowParry

Neo 007 said:
Should I or should I not..
Just got to click the 'Buy Now' button on E-bay for AU$71.00...is this good value fellow slayers?

I'll say I've enjoyed it a lot. It has its bugs but it's new of course. I can't speak about the PvP or group mechanics because it's been mostly solo the whole time. I am in guild but they hardly talk (for the moment). It's refreshing and something new to the MMO side in terms of the combat. Just be sure to have a beefy rig to play. Latency is ass in the major cities. And the UI just plain sucks imo.

Yaweee

I'd recommend waiting on this game. Performance is shit and there are numerous infuriating bugs (not being able to res after dying, AI companion deciding to stop fighting during the middle of a fight).

I also completely despise the game's opening 10 hours. Honestly, it is like an MMO without all of the things that people actually like in MMOs.

Ferrio

Banned
Kintaro said:

So far I'm not liking my feats.

One of them I gives a +%10/15/20 etc percentage to a dot I have. But the dot only does 1 to 5 damage (mattering how many times I've hit them, it will average around 2 per tick) So it barely adds anything.

Also I have a skill that after 5 points into it adds +15 fire damage..... woo? I don't know if that number rises as I level... it might not sure.

Top Bottom