• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Zzoram

cpro said:
I'd recommend waiting on this game. Performance is shit and there are numerous infuriating bugs (not being able to res after dying, AI companion deciding to stop fighting during the middle of a fight).

I also completely despise the game's opening 10 hours. Honestly, it is like an MMO without all of the things that people actually like in MMOs.

I liked WoW when playing alone, occasionally pairing up with a friend. AoC appeals to me because it's friendly to solo play and has more visceral combat.

I plan to build a PC when Starcraft II comes out, and I might get AoC as well.

LowParry

I think my favorite bug was after the patch, there were lvl 25 mobs that I killed. Moments later they respawns as lvl 35 mobs. Horrid.

Victrix

*beard*
Kintaco said:
I should read the manual, I trying my WoW commands and they are not working. :)

Hit / and press tab twice

As for the skills that are +damage, a lot of them are +dps, even though they don't say this. The easiest way to notice this is when you equip an item or cast a buff that adds +damage to the type of your weapon, you can see hte dps increase, not the damage (and one of the devs mentioned they may adjust the tooltips about this at some point as well).

Unfortunately, the overall feat tooltips are far from precise, so a lot of it is just getting a general impression of the tree and going from there.

Most abilities scale with level as well, including buffs, so stuff that looks weak at first, gets gradually stronger over time.

Also, don't spend any time agonizing over builds or whatever from 1-20 - that's just newbie stuff. You don't even get to your first proper instance till the mid/late thirties, and it's not particularly difficult to level with nearly any class anyway, and you can respec feats and retrain skills as needed.

I wouldn't expect a lot of cosmetic fixes soon though, as with most mmos, the first month or so will all be stability/main feature fixes and patches, once things settle down, they'll start grinding away at their own priority list, and whatever the community whines loudest about (I'll be over on a mountaintop yelling about the pure shit group minimap icons)

Kumars_picture000.png

Image from Conarch Valley as you enter the village here.

Ferrio

Banned
Victrix said:
(I'll be over on a mountaintop yelling about the pure shit group minimap icons)

No crap. Whoever thought of the couple of pixels to denote where your teammates is should be shot.

Victrix

*beard*
Ferrio said:
No crap. Whoever thought of the couple of pixels to denote where your teammates is should be shot.

Don't forget the minimap/main map range of about 20 feet before they vanish completely, assuming you were eagle eyed enough to see them anyway! Oh, and did I mention that *players* sometimes vanish completely, regardless of view distance set, sometimes at close range, due to either a rendering or world geometry issue? It's pretty sweet! Yeah, they need to fix that shit pronto :p

Alt-Z for ui

iamblades

Ferrio said:
So far I'm not liking my feats.

One of them I gives a +%10/15/20 etc percentage to a dot I have. But the dot only does 1 to 5 damage (mattering how many times I've hit them, it will average around 2 per tick) So it barely adds anything.

Also I have a skill that after 5 points into it adds +15 fire damage..... woo? I don't know if that number rises as I level... it might not sure.

pretty much all the feats ive seen scale with level. my guardians regen feats have like quadrupled from 20 to 40.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anyone playing a Conqueror in PvP? Going to restart on Doomsayer when I my new set up gets here and just wondering if they hold up in PvP.

Chrange

Banned
Victrix said:
Don't forget the minimap/main map range of about 20 feet before they vanish completely, assuming you were eagle eyed enough to see them anyway! Oh, and did I mention that *players* sometimes vanish completely, regardless of view distance set, sometimes at close range, due to either a rendering or world geometry issue? It's pretty sweet! Yeah, they need to fix that shit pronto :p

Alt-Z for ui

Really? In a Funcom game? That's unheard of!

Victrix

*beard*
Chrange said:
Really? In a Funcom game? That's unheard of!

This game has _nothing_ on AO's launch, bugwise. Just a fair bit of stupid and/or annoying crap, typical for most mmo launches. That player/minimap issue is the worst I've run into, but there are some other (hilarious) ones that mostly affect pvp servers - I don't play there though, so I don't care!

AO vets would appreciate knowing that 'PlayshiftFailed' has shown up more than once though.

What the fuck is the deal with merchants/traders in Tortage? there was one guy down by the harbor now he's gone, I want to buy and sell some shit.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
game is good, LOTS OH BUGS BOYS! I found one thats GAME killing right now awaiting a fix from a GM in single player instance I was doing the Escape from the Keep. I decided to logout for a break and pick it up later.

Well when I logged back in I was back outside and the quest was complete and uncomplete in both sections. I was unable to enter the keep again and Im unable to progress in the story any more at all..

Pissing me off. Also alot of the story or quests are annoying as hell run across the map to only run back to town to run back to the guy again I mean 4 times for one stupid quest and no idicator what value the quest is work sometimes..

Kintaco

I just hit a wall trying to level past level 7, I don't know why all the quests seem a bit hard, all are in the lvl 10-12 range. I don't know where to find quests more my level.

MickeyKnox said:
What the fuck is the deal with merchants/traders in Tortage? there was one guy down by the harbor now he's gone, I want to buy and sell some shit.

AH merchant is down and has been down since the 2nd-3rd day of Early Access. If you want to sell your wares, theres an armor/weaponsmith right when you get into Tortage to your left.

LowParry

Kintaco said:
I just hit a wall trying to level past level 7, I don't know why all the quests seem a bit hard, all are in the lvl 10-12 range. I don't know where to find quests more my level.

Go into your night quests until your day quests turn yellow.

Won

Bought this thing, put 8 hours into it and so far so good. Perfomance is hit and miss for me, but will play around a bit tomorrow.

But one thing really bothers me. I'm Level 16 now after ~ 7 hours and still in the first area. That is just waaaay too long. Especially since I want to try other classes tomorrow. I don't really looking forward to do all the stuff again.

Ferrio

Banned
Won said:
Bought this thing, put 8 hours into it and so far so good. Perfomance is hit and miss for me, but will play around a bit tomorrow.

But one thing really bothers me. I'm Level 16 now after ~ 7 hours and still in the first area. That is just waaaay too long. Especially since I want to try other classes tomorrow. I don't really looking forward to do all the stuff again.

Saw some guy bitching in chat that he hated his character, but didn't wanna reroll cause he'd have to do tortage.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Won said:

wow I have over 16 hours in it and im only level 17 you must be doing core quests only? Also I agree I want off this damn island too many stupid quests.. IF they would fix my character I might be able to move on this is shitty 67 petitions in front of me waiting as well...

Yaweee

Ferrio said:
Saw some guy bitching in chat that he hated his character, but didn't wanna reroll cause he'd have to do tortage.

I agree with the guys sentiments. This is easily the worst MMO opening I've seen in my life, and it greatly discourages experimenting with other classes.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ok anybody else having trouble getting the damn game to even work.

I just bought the fuckign game and it refuses to load even the splash screens properly.

I do have a X800. are they incompatiable or somethin?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Sol.. said:

I just bought the fuckign game and it refuses to load even the splash screens properly.

try running the patcher instead of the normal game icon.. One of them bypasses some shit..

Zzoram

Sol.. said:

The X800's are Shader Model 2.0, so that might be the issue? For some reason ATI kept that generation at SM2.0 when the GeForce 6000 series was SM3.0

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Dorfdad said:
try running the patcher instead of the normal game icon.. One of them bypasses some shit..

Still no dice. Man this is why i don't do PC gaming anymore. Nothing works properly.

EDIT; Holy shit, i try to get support and log in to the forums and now the account i created and logged in with not 10 minutes ago suddenly doesn't fucking exist.

what the fuck is this shit.

EDIT 2: Now it's telling me that my key needs to be swapped.

Please tell me, somebody else has to be going through this shit. This is by far the silliest fucking shit i've ever seen in the dozen plus MMOs i've played.

EDIT 3: Why isn't there any phone, chat, or even email technical support? This whole situation is almost unreal. It's as if they sold shit......in a box to me. I just paid 50 bucks for shit in a box.

EDIT 4: and i'm done. I'm never buying a european game (especially MMO) again.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
cpro said:
I agree with the guys sentiments. This is easily the worst MMO opening I've seen in my life, and it greatly discourages experimenting with other classes.

Meh. I like Tortage personally. I can understand though. Much better than say, The Barrens in WoW. :lol

Justin

Goontopia update!

Front gate with the level in the background. No way anyone is getting in our city...

gatehg4.jpg

Here is the tradepost we built yesterday. It lets us have a private guild auction house.

tradepostqu7.jpg

The Temple being built. It gives some kind of bonus to the priest classes.

temple1cx1.jpg

temple2jk4.jpg

temple3rx4.jpg

And the after party head banging.

headbanginwr1.jpg

mammothul9.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kintaco said:
There is nothing at night for me.

doh sorry, started my 1st night quest at 6 or 7 took me to lvl 13-14 lvled up to 15 did the next one and got to 17, then lvled up to 19 for the last.

I like to kill everything I see so maybe I over leveled in each mission.

I actually like the starting area in this game, granted I haven't played out side of it much but still think its fun.

Leatherface

Question for you vista people. I'm considering upgrading to vista from XP pro. How is direct X 10 in this game? How does the game run on Vista with dualcore/4gig of ram/ and 8800gt?

Is this a worthwhile jump at this point or should I just stick with XP?

Also 32bit or 64bit? last I checked 64bit vista was hella buggy but that may have changed by now. *shrug*

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Leatherface said:
Question for you vista people. I'm considering upgrading to vista from XP pro. How is direct X 10 in this game? How does the game run on Vista with dualcore/4gig of ram/ and 8800gt?

Is this a worthwhile jump at this point or should I just stick with XP?

Also 32bit or 64bit? last I checked 64bit vista was hella buggy but that may have changed by now. *shrug*

DX10 isn't in the game yet, scheduled for August according to the devs.

I'm running on Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Q6600/4gb/8800gt and it runs brilliantly. With everything maxed but shadows turned off I run ~60fps in dungeons and out by myself, ~30fps in town, unless it's Tarantia (which has a shitton of geometry) it dives to like 20fps. It's always playable, though. Bout the only complaint I have is it hitches sometimes when having to load a bunch of stuff in, but only for a second.

Vista has been rock solid for me, never a crash, never an issue running anything, even older software.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Impressions of a Level 16 Barbarian...

While I was initially disappointed with the general lack of polish in Age of Conan, I am enjoying the game considerably right now. The combat is fast-paced and exciting, as opposed to being a slow tedious affair where players are forced to constantly "pull" and use "strat". Questing is efficient and solo friendly. I have yet to get to a point where I have to resort to grinding because there are not quests currently available. There is always something to be doing. Every NPC I've talked to thus far has had full voice acting, a nice touch in my eyes. But I suppose anything is better than talking to NPC's and being greeted with a brief paragraph of text that resembles an advertisement more than an actual conversation.

World PvP seems to actually be a factor. There is constant fighting in the wilderness. The game feels much like Stranglethorn Valve from very early on. You don't have to wait twenty levels to experience it either. You can begin slaughtering other players at Level 6 or so. Fortunately the game is not a total gankfest like some zygotes would have you believe. Their tears have caused frequent floods in Hyboria over the past couple days, but don't let them fool you. The respawn camping can indeed be lame, but can easily be avoided by stealth or simply switching to another instance. Just be glad you don't have to wander back your body as a ghost for ten minutes. The open PvP system allows for some interesting situations. Players may attack you at random, save you from mobs, or even ally with you to defeat higher level adversaries. There was an instance last night when I saw someone my level being attacked by a higher level caster. I stepped in and helped this person kill the foolish mage. I would have expected the player I saved to attack me anyways, but he simply bowed and and went on his way. So far the community is pretty awesome, unlike WoW's. Half the time you end up grouping with people you just ganked. Fun stuff.

So far grouping has been awesome. I stayed up until 5 am last night questing with three other players. It was great fun. Can't wait to play more.

aoc1oa7.jpg

aoc8ze6.jpg

aoc3jm4.jpg

how will the game run on a ??

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E2200 (2.2GHz)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT gfx card
and 2GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)

thanks!!

edit
I guess I should upgrade into Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4600 (2.4GHz) ?

Xabora

SuperAndroid17 said:
how will the game run on a ??

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E2200 (2.2GHz)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT gfx card
and 2GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)

thanks!!
You should be able to do high if you turn the draw distance down a bit.
And drop the grass too.

Proc

MickeyKnox said:
In case anyone wants to play this with a controller here's a useful link http://www.xpadder.com/

Have you tried this yet? Somehow I could see the controller working very well. Sticks for movement, dpad for attacks. buttons/triggers for frequent spells. It would be great for soloing and zoning out on the couch/bed

Proc

I grabbed this xpadder setup from openedge1 from the AoC forums and it seems to be working pretty well.

Left stick = WASD
Right stick equals mouse
Left trigger is right mouse, Right trigger is left mouse (this gives the most ergonomic feel)

X, A, B are 1,2,3 on the numpad
Hold left shoulder to hit CTRL
X, A, B are still 1,2,3 but I have placed my best combos here for CTRL-1,2,3

Y is active block

D-Pad
left is 4, up is 5, and right is 6
And again use CTRL to map these differently for 4,5,6 i.e: place different combo's
D-Pad down is put away / pull weapon...

Click in right stick...MAP
Click in left stick P (but map to what you wish...)
START button is I
BACK button is ESC
Right shoulder is shift (RUN AWAY...lol)

This game just got max chill for the grind. If i don't respond right away in game, do not take offense lol.

Proc

j-wood said:
Anyone able to log on? My launcher says downloading patch information, then says it can't contact the server

I just logged in and it showed me in completely different gear. Then when I relogged it's forcing me to repatch over a gig of info :/

LowParry

Alrighty. Last update then off to bed. Up to level 33 now. Been told that once you get closer to 40, you're going to have quests that are more group oriented. But they say you can level solo all the way up to 80. We'll see. The armor I've been getting hasn't been much of a variety in term of looks. I'm sporting mostly blue items now but still...meh. Maybe later on, something better will come along the way. Anywho, some final shots. More updates tomorrow!

Asuka_picture010.png

Asuka_picture011.png

Asuka_picture013.png

Top Bottom