• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Justin

Monsterland said:
Ok, I like the idea of a guild being able to create their own town. What sort of benefits are there? How does the building process work, do you have to gather materials or do you just pay to build a structure. Can anyone from the guild build or only the leader and what is a battle keep?

The buildings do give you bonuses. There are buildings for each archetype and also for all the trade skills. There is also a tradepost building that give you a private guild auction house. Currently we dont think any of the bonuses are working correctly but we have petitions out to find out.

The buildings require resources and a ton of gold to build and also require an architect. There are a bunch of nodes that you can click on and when you do a menu pops up like a RTS game and you pick the building to place there. I believe that only the guild leader can make the buildings.

It costs around 2 gold per level 1 building and wall/tower pieces. There are around 32 wall nodes not counting towers and end pieces.

Here is a lost of all the buildings so far
featsdh3.jpg

There is also a main gate and 4 kinds of wall pieces (normal wall, staired wall, tower and corner tower).

GAH, this shit is killing me.
I'd love to buy this and try it out, but I don't want to risk the chance of dropping the cash and having it run like shit.

Anyone have a comparable system:

Pentium E2180 2.0GHz
3GB DDR2
Radeon 1650 PRO 256MB DDR2 128-bit (the low profile HDMI version)

gregor7777 said:
GAH, this shit is killing me.
I'd love to buy this and try it out, but I don't want to risk the chance of dropping the cash and having it run like shit.

Anyone have a comparable system:

Pentium E2180 2.0GHz
3GB DDR2
Radeon 1650 PRO 256MB DDR2 128-bit (the low profile HDMI version)

Low settings for sure if you're lucky.

Yaweee

Is there anyway to scale down the interface without increasing the resolution? My monitors are old, and I can only display 1024x whatever, and the UI is obnoxiously large.

-----

In terms of performance, I'm going from 1GB of RAM to to 3GB on Monday, so I'll be able to report on how much of a difference 50 bucks worth of RAM can make.

-----

The inventory is too damn small and/or nothing stacks. I've rarely run out of inventory space faster in an mmo.

Defcon

Banned
7900 GT MINIMUM to run at a decent framerate. Anything less and you should just forget about it until you are able to upgrade.

Defcon said:
7900 GT MINIMUM to run at a decent framerate. Anything less and you should just forget about it until you are able to upgrade.

Shame...I'm using about the fastest low profile card available right now, so there's nothing I can do but wait.

My only upgrade path is the 8600/2400 series, and really they are about the same performance wise as the card I have right now.

Neo 007

This game is so awesome and addictive....love it.
I got it yesterday and am a level 10 Dark Templer.
Oh yeah,lots of items I pick-up say I can't wear them?

thorns

Banned
Got to level 20 as a Demonologist. The last few levels and questing in White Sands Isle was quite enjoyable. The final quest to leave the island was quite fun too. My guy is *finally* starting to put some serious damage.. I'm going for the "fire spec". However I think the demon "pet" is horribly useless and implemented badly. The game does a lot of things right, however needs a lot more polish than what it has right now..

The low framerate (on my system) and jerky animation gives me a headache too..

I think the level of interest in this game just shows how starving people were for another quality MMORPG, after having nothing but WoW for 3+ years..

Ferrio

Banned
thorns said:
Got to level 20 as a Demonologist. The last few levels and questing in White Sands Isle was quite enjoyable. The final quest to leave the island was quite fun too. My guy is *finally* starting to put some serious damage.. I'm going for the "fire spec". However I think the demon "pet" is horribly useless and implemented badly. The game does a lot of things right, however needs a lot more polish than what it has right now..

Pet is just a buff that takes physical form. Which is fine with me since I hate pets, and the less I have to rely on one the better.

Won

So how does the >level 20 stuff work? My buddies are catching up and as far as I understood the game will split us up in different areas. (depending on the race) Is this true? How far apart are we going to be? Is there an easy way to travel there or should we just give up on the idea to play...together?

Justin

Won said:
So how does the >level 20 stuff work? My buddies are catching up and as far as I understood the game will split us up in different areas. (depending on the race) Is this true? How far apart are we going to be? Is there an easy way to travel there or should we just give up on the idea to play...together?

It does split people up but there is a person you can talk to right away that will take you to any of the 3 main cities.

iamblades

Won said:

easy to get together. i reccomend meeting in old tarantia, as there seem to be a lot more quests available there, and its right in between stygia and cimmeria. should get a couple levels off just the tarantia quests, then go to wild lands of zelata until you are almost 40, then tarantia noble district, then fields of the dead. thatll take you up till 50 or so.

ps cell phone typing sucks

Yaweee

The framerate in the game feels very, very, random. In most games, when the framerate gets bad, there's a reason for it-- a huge draw distance or being around many people and enemies.

In AoC, I'm hard pressed to find reasons for the slowdown. Tortage Keep, for example, which brought me from around 25 fps to 5 fps. It isn't that detailed, and there aren't that many enemies around, but it tanked my computer.

Outside Genzo's House? 26fps. Inside? 1.1.
----

I'm starting to like the game a lot. The interface and performance are an abysmal load of horseshit, but the combat and environments are top notch. I'm a Dark Templar, but I'm still not using many of the combos. I also have my buffs on, I frequently cast the additional drain life debuff, I use Sweep when necessary, but the other things? Virtually never. I'm having a hard time deciding my keybinds, and the interface makes setting them up a giant pain in the ass.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Halfway to 19, should have no problem getting to 20. I might stand back for a bit and even out my K/D ratio. I havent been trying to PvP at all and of course every 10-158 minutes or so someone is fucking with me while im fighting a mob, lol.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
for anyone with suspect system specs Ill give you one piece of advise.

TURN OFF PARTICLE DRAW DISTANCE.. Dont turn it down turn it OFF

Im playing on an Imac with ati 2600 HD XT video card and I have been able to tweak it to give me 45-60 FPS in instances dungeons, etc in Citys I do slug down to about 27-33 depending on how big it is and playing at 1900x1200 or 1600x1050

Justin said:
So the EU goonsquad gave their neighbors a little "welcome to the neighborhood"

That's ironic, since most of their real life neighbors probably don't see them come out of their house more than once a month.

Justin

Open Source said:
That's ironic, since most of their real life neighbors probably don't see them come out of their house more than once a month.

This is not a proper example of irony. Also, you have to leave your house to get Baconators.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Really enjoying my level 21 Barbarian at the moment, got like 50 kills to 3 deaths at the moment, correct me if I'm wrong but DW is DPS, and 2h seems to be stuns right? Think I'll need to start making some macros to stun someone, switch to DW drop some DPS and then switch back to 2h and knock them back =D

rod

Banned
3800 dual core@2.2ghz

7900 gt 512MB vram

2GB ram, windows xp

im just looking to play on mid settings, i prefer framerate over detail, will i get decent performance from this?

Tideas said:
DAmn, if Wollan is banned, that means the OP can't be updated with new information on when the buddy passes are eligible

What is this buddy passes thing? A friend of mine bought Conan and I'd like to try it but don't really want to buy it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, so there must be something wrong. I'm a Ranger, level 26 (when this happened). I was walking around and people were doing the same quest i was.. So, obviously, i was killing them left and right. This one dude was standing around doing nothing so i wasn't bothering him. He was level 25 or 24.

Out of nowhere, he came and started attacking me. Obivously, i attacked back and did a Cunning Strike VI. I insta-killed him.

Not believing my fucking eyes, i rolled back the combat window and i made like, behold, 1600 damage to him. First blow did 744, second and third blows did around 420 each. While do archers strike a little too hard, this was kinda absurd.

He, afaik, had all his equips on. He could've been trying to get himself killed to deliver quests (as opposed to walking back to the city), but damn. Insta killed a guy with one combo? I don't think he removed his clothes or anything, he was fully dressed. Weird.

I wanted to take a screenshot of the log, but when i looked for it again, the log had already overlapped and deleted the info.

drizzle said:
Ok, so there must be something wrong. I'm a Ranger, level 26 (when this happened). I was walking around and people were doing the same quest i was.. So, obviously, i was killing them left and right. This one dude was standing around doing nothing so i wasn't bothering him. He was level 25 or 24.

Out of nowhere, he came and started attacking me. Obivously, i attacked back and did a Cunning Strike VI. I insta-killed him.

Not believing my fucking eyes, i rolled back the combat window and i made like, behold, 1600 damage to him. First blow did 744, second and third blows did around 420 each. While do archers strike a little too hard, this was kinda absurd.

He, afaik, had all his equips on. He could've been trying to get himself killed to deliver quests (as opposed to walking back to the city), but damn. Insta killed a guy with one combo? I don't think he removed his clothes or anything, he was fully dressed. Weird.

I wanted to take a screenshot of the log, but when i looked for it again, the log had already overlapped and deleted the info.

Now you know why people have been saying Rangers are OP. They are the only class that Ive heard be able to 2 shot Guardians and other heavy armor tanks.

rod said:
3800 dual core@2.2ghz

7900 gt 512MB vram

2GB ram, windows xp

im just looking to play on mid settings, i prefer framerate over detail, will i get decent performance from this?

I think you'll be able to play in mid settings. I have an x1950pro 512MB, e4500 oc'd 2.9, and 4GB of ram and I get +25fps in the city. I actually was getting around 20fps when I first started the game, but then someone on OCC told me to crank up system memory cache for the textures in the advance video settings if I was getting stuttering. What a huge difference! I now have it maxed to almost 600MB cache for the textures and the stuttering has nearly disappeared. I am also able to turn up the advance graphics features, which I had off or at bare minimum. I also get a solid 30fps in the city and 45-70fps outside the city.

Zzoram

Kintaro said:
So, how are people liking the FFA PVP servers? I'm curious.

Wait, how do you do end game content in a FFA PvP server? Wouldn't a group of 20 people just kill each other with splash damage when trying to tackle mobs together?

Justin

Kintaro said:

Really fun. There is always this uneasiness when someone runs past you.

Wait, how do you do end game content in a FFA PvP server? Wouldn't a group of 20 people just kill each other with splash damage when trying to tackle mobs together?

It is hard. If i am running and I see a guild member being attacked I cant just run up and help because almost every attack in the game including regular weapon swings have splash damage. So you have to invite them into a party real quick.

thorns

Banned
Dorfdad said:
for anyone with suspect system specs Ill give you one piece of advise.

TURN OFF PARTICLE DRAW DISTANCE.. Dont turn it down turn it OFF

Im playing on an Imac with ati 2600 HD XT video card and I have been able to tweak it to give me 45-60 FPS in instances dungeons, etc in Citys I do slug down to about 27-33 depending on how big it is and playing at 1900x1200 or 1600x1050

Yes the particle implementation in the game is horrible, it really increases the speed to turn them off.. However when you turn it off you can't see spell effects :)

Flynn

Kintaro said:

Once I learned how to avoid spawn camping I'm having a good time.

I kinda like being a non-ganker. When you help someone out they're totally surprised.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Flynn said:
Once I learned how to avoid spawn camping I'm having a good time.

I kinda like being a non-ganker. When you help someone out they're totally surprised.

I don't like ganking either. Unless it's some higher class player that's killing the boss i'm supposed to be killing in the quest and it took me fucking 20 minutes to get there...

Spawn camping is somewhat gone. The bubble (even tho it's only 30 seconds) helps enough for you to leave/hide.

Masta_Killah said:
Now you know why people have been saying Rangers are OP. They are the only class that Ive heard be able to 2 shot Guardians and other heavy armor tanks.

Except it's easy as fuck to block the ranger combos. Every single "overpowered" ranger attack is frontal. Just put your three shields there and i can't do anything to you. Well, i can, but i can only use attacks that do 200 damage, not the ones that do 600-900...

LowParry

Big update today. I just hit lvl 39. I won't have any sort of mount to use for a while because our guild is aiming to be the top guild so we need a money flow (which I settled on a pre reserve item but eh. I'll do what I can. Props to Warnen for hooking me up with a code for the cape. BIG thanks.). We've already accumilated enough gold and resorces to create our keep and what not. We'll be the first on the server as soon as they enable the option. But! Enought of that, the gooooood stuff. Did some group instancing. And it was hella fun. Nothing really new to the instance forumla. Nothing really scripted either with the boss fights. They're all just tank and spank really. Good drops. Blah blah blah. After finishing up a lot of quests, I was told I should go to the next place called the Field of the Dead. The journey there was very long, but rewarding. And now, for some pics! (Oh, and btw, there is a glitch on my leg item that makes them into boots. So now I'm pantless.) The saga continues tomorrow!

Asuka_picture022.png

Asuka_picture021.png

Asuka_picture027.png

Asuka_picture030.png

Asuka_picture028.png

mmm I want to play this

I'm not sure if this is really the place for this, but i see a lot of people with technical questions, so I'd love some advice on building a new pc. I have a budget of $800 and just need the pc, no monitor or anything.

What would you fine gaffers recommend? I've been out of the pc building game for 3 years and I dont know what the fuck is going on.

I was looking at the Crysis pc for $900 thread and it gave me a general idea, but I'd still love some feedback.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Kintaro said:
I love it, I missed all the spawn camping so that hasn't spoiled my enjoyment. It's just awesome that if someone steals 'my' mob, I can just walk up and kill him rather than just get annoyed at him. The ability to switch instances is also good for PvP, do all your quests in an emptyish instance, then switch to a more populated one and then kill everyone.

I heard a lot of complaint about the first long quest (but i really enjoy my first ten levels there) but yesterday, after reach 11, a new option appear on the conversation list with the man at the tavern (don't remember his name): "Skip the Destiny Quest", is this the option to skip the quest and finallly leave the island?

Yesterday i ordered my new Pc after 5 years!

2.5 intel quad core, 4 gig Ram, windows 64bit and a GeForce Gx2 1gb... all this just for CROM (and the nex Total War)! :)

So how long can one expect these technical issues to exist? I realize it's a new game (which isn't that good of an excuse, i was in the LOTRO launch and that was pure awesome in both gameplay and lack of glitches/server problems) and only a week after launch now, but have the devs given a timeline on when the issues will be fixed? Are there any safe estimations atleast, if not from the devs, then from experienced MMO players who have went through many launches as bad as this one?

Thinking i might just hold off til Warhammer or Guild Wars 2 {beta} now, but i really really want to at least give this title a try.

Dunno for how long you can encounter technical issue but remember this is a MMORPG! WoW, for example, at the beginning have a lot of problems and also lot less gameplay elements like talents (they appear only 4/6 month after the game come out). In a month or two i hope they resolve all the big technical problems.

Ferrio

Banned
thelurkinghorror said:
Dunno for how long you can encounter technical issue but remember this is a MMORPG! WoW, for example, at the beginning have a lot of problems and also lot less gameplay elements like talents (they appear only 4/6 month after the game come out). In a month or two i hope they resolve all the big technical problems.

Uh.... Talents were in day 1 sir. What game are you thinking of?

Flesh Into Gear said:
mmm I want to play this

I'm not sure if this is really the place for this, but i see a lot of people with technical questions, so I'd love some advice on building a new pc. I have a budget of $800 and just need the pc, no monitor or anything.

What would you fine gaffers recommend? I've been out of the pc building game for 3 years and I dont know what the fuck is going on.

I was looking at the Crysis pc for $900 thread and it gave me a general idea, but I'd still love some feedback.

I built a computer a few months ago and this is what I got for roughly $700-800:

cpu- Intel e4500 @2.2ghz
gpu- Powercooler x1950pro 512MB
mobo- Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l
ram- G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2-800
psu- FSP Blue Storm II 500w
tower- Cooler Master Centurion 534
os- Vista 32bit Premium Builders kit

Mind you this was a build a few months ago, so you can probably get a better deal now. At the time, I wasn't able to afford the 8800gt, but now that the new ati/nvidia cards are coming out, I might bite and get it. So far, I'm very happy with this build as it allows me to easily overclock it. The mobo is very noob friendly in terms of overclocking. I was able to overclock the cpu to 2.9ghz w/ a small increase in voltage. I have the ram running at 4-4-4-12 and the gpu is slightly overclocked.

Conan runs at mid settings with some tweaking in the advance settings. the fps jumps around from 30 to 10 and as high as 70. From what I've read,the fps issues might be due to ati gpu's and rumors of memory leaks. I will say that the game has slowly improved since early access. EA was a stuttering mess, but now its getting better.

thelurkinghorror said:

Yeah MMOs always have some kind of technical problems at launch and at least 6 months after, kind of comes with the genre. Lotro didn't have this but instead they pretty much had cut most of the high level content.

I'm not sure if I understand you comment about talents in WoW though. Talents have been in WoW from the very first early beta testing, they did not add them 4-6 months after the game came out. I guess you're meaning something else. And in WoW case most of the launch problems were due to the amount of subscribers who pretty much killed the servers, gameplay wise it was a solid launch.

bee

playing it all settings maxed, graphics are insane for an mmo looks better than oblivion, i did wimp out for now though and just created a character on a pve server :p

am i right in thinking i can just create a different character in another slot and play that character on a different (pvp) server ?

neight

Banned
Isn't this the game that's like Guild Wars in how highly instanced it is? Is it true they're charging a monthly subscription for that in this game?

SaitoH

CcrooK said:
*nice screenshots*

I have a 15 meg connection and had to wait for your screenshots to load. Thought something was wrong, but damn, you're posting 4 meg a shot PNGs. Might want to convert future shots to JPGs before posting next time.

lexi

Banned
I've bought into the hype and tried to buy a copy today. What do you know, sold out everywhere I checked.

Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow. My one question, with feats, can you essentially 'respec' out of them if you mess it up or want to change?

Won

neight said:
Isn't this the game that's like Guild Wars in how highly instanced it is? Is it true they're charging a monthly subscription for that in this game?

It goes more in the EQ2 direction with instancing. A couple versions of every area, but you will still share it with others.

lockii said:
My one question, with feats, can you essentially 'respec' out of them if you mess it up or want to change?

Yes, there are trainers in cities for unlearning feats.

Top Bottom