• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

nataku

Finally! Access to the AOC forums after beeing blocked since the Monday.

If anyone else was having trouble, try logging in. I was just given access a few moments ago. I tried earlier today and it wouldn't let me in.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is this game really sold out everywhere? I've been playing it a ton, and got my Conqueror up to level 20. Wow, this game is -really- good, and just gets better. I have a few friends who were on the fence, and it would suck if they can't pick it up.

Raiden

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Is this game really sold out everywhere? I've been playing it a ton, and got my Conqueror up to level 20. Wow, this game is -really- good, and just gets better. I have a few friends who were on the fence, and it would suck if they can't pick it up.

Not in Belgium, bought the Collectors Edition for 53 €.

Too bad i cant play it yet though, waiting for PC to arrive next month :(

Druz

Flesh Into Gear said:
mmm I want to play this

I'm not sure if this is really the place for this, but i see a lot of people with technical questions, so I'd love some advice on building a new pc. I have a budget of $800 and just need the pc, no monitor or anything.

What would you fine gaffers recommend? I've been out of the pc building game for 3 years and I dont know what the fuck is going on.

I was looking at the Crysis pc for $900 thread and it gave me a general idea, but I'd still love some feedback.

Dude $800 is perfect

I just built a PC for that much.. I maxxed out Conan, High everything for Crysis 1280x1024

Here are my specs as reference, all the parts were bought at newegg

Abit IP35 PRO
Originally Corsair vx550w PSU(Which is awesome) but I ended up switching to a hx620w(which makes it more expensinsive than $800

eVGA8800GT SC 512mb - Which gets cheaper by the damn day.
Used a copy of Windows XP I already had
OCZ Reaper(PC2 6400)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 for cheap, but now you can find a better duo for even cheaper which is insane
LITE ON dvd.. 20 bucks
HD of your choice, netted a Seagate Barracuda 250gb for $65 dollars

Cirruss

BTW it seems that if you managed to get into the closed beta (or maybe even if you signed up for the newsletter a long time ago-not sure about that though) you should have recieved an email giving you a free cloak.

The cloak was the only thing i actually wanted from the special edition, but couldnt get it, glad i got in in the mail though :D

Played a Dark Templar to the high 30's, wouldn't reccommend the class. Their feat tree is an absolute mess and whilst in PvE they stack buffs for some uninteresting but otherwise unkillable gameplay, in PvP they are plain broken. The only possible way you can kill someone with a Dark Templar is if they stand there while you swing at them. Priests 10 levels below you will outheal your damage. As soon as a enemy runs you've lost a kill, you can't chase them and keep any stamina.

The whole concept of the class is life stealing, but the irritating facet is that the only skills you have to actually kill your enemies are the other tanks taunts. All your class specific combo's are either group effects, weak debuffs or life stealing. You get two Auras (a damage buff and a heal) for 80 levels and both are negligable on just you. One self buff you get doesn't scale from level 15 to 40 and the other seems to proc about 5% of the time.

Overall, boring to play, has the worst looking, inconsistant icons in the game, and is absolutely useless in PvP.

FlyinJ said:
There were like 7-8 at my local Best Buy today, picked one up and am installing it now.

Yaweee

TheHeretic said:
Played a Dark Templar to the high 30's, wouldn't reccommend the class. Their feat tree is an absolute mess and whilst in PvE they stack buffs for some uninteresting but otherwise unkillable gameplay, in PvP they are plain broken. The only possible way you can kill someone with a Dark Templar is if they stand there while you swing at them. Priests 10 levels below you will outheal your damage. As soon as a enemy runs you've lost a kill, you can't chase them and keep any stamina.

The whole concept of the class is life stealing, but the irritating facet is that the only skills you have to actually kill your enemies are the other tanks taunts. All your class specific combo's are either group effects, weak debuffs or life stealing. You get two Auras (a damage buff and a heal) for 80 levels and both are negligable on just you. One self buff you get doesn't scale from level 15 to 40 and the other seems to proc about 5% of the time.

Overall, boring to play, has the worst looking, inconsistant icons in the game, and is absolutely useless in PvP.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm 19 with one, and was about to leave Tortage... No wonder this has been taking longer than most people seem to say Tortage should take.

What class would you recommend for DPS? Are all of the Mage/Rogue classes good dps?

As for people looking for the game, it isn't sold out. Best Buy had a stack on Thursday when I bought mine. You probably won't get the Collectors Edition, but who cares.

Installation doesn't take long, and the downloads, while huge, come at a rate basically limited by your own internet connection.

Justin

Serveral of the casting classes get spellweaving. It is like a stance but it drains stam and then health as you do it. It has 4 power levels and each level adds big bonuses to some of your spells.

Won

Justin said:
PoM spellweaving. To say they went a bit overboard with the spell effects in this game is a huge understatment.

http://vimeo.com/1049543

:lol

Would really love to level up a caster just for something like that. But I had to stop at level 4 with a Demonologist. Feels to much like a downgrade from melee combat and I doubt I would be able to do the starting island again. Maybe as Necro but I dunno....

Yaweee

So I started over as a Barbarian, but I actually think I like the DT more. I'm a huge fan of the self/auto-healing melee fighting, and it seems like DTs have the highest durability of any class. It looks like they need a bit more CC and damage output, but surviving long is a big plus in my book.

Kintaco

I'm liking my Barbarian more than my DT myself, although they are both fairly noobish. I'm all about melee class in this game.

Proc

cpro said:
So I started over as a Barbarian, but I actually think I like the DT more. I'm a huge fan of the self/auto-healing melee fighting, and it seems like DTs have the highest durability of any class. It looks like they need a bit more CC and damage output, but surviving long is a big plus in my book.

Yeah, I'm going to try to get mine to 30 tonight and see how much heavy armor changes things. I wish they turned out to be 2h wielding tanks. The class looks interesting and seems to have a lot of promise.

Okay, I absolutely LOVE the combat system so far (playing an Assassin). LOVE it.

However, my biggest gripe with the game is the lack of a consistent world. All these instances are killing me (last MMO I've played prior was LOTRO). And even within these instances, there's like 20 sub-instances you can choose from.

Another gripe with the game is a message I got logging into my server yesterday:
"Server is full, please wait on line to enter"

Um... what???

Aside from those 2 gripes, I'm enjoying the game very much. Kudos to Funcom!

Kyoufu

Revolutionary said:
However, my biggest gripe with the game is the lack of a consistent world. All these instances are killing me (last MMO I've played prior was LOTRO). And even within these instances, there's like 20 sub-instances you can choose from.

Another gripe with the game is a message I got logging into my server yesterday:
"Server is full, please wait on line to enter"

Um... what???

Aside from those 2 gripes, I'm enjoying the game very much. Kudos to Funcom!

I agree with you as far as instances are concerned. I was very much hoping for one big world like in WoW and LOTRO :(

Waiting lines for servers are common for popular MMOs though, something you have to put up with I'm afraid.

Atrophis

Wow classes are totally unbalanced. Got killed by a level 12 ranger when i was 19 lol. He hit me for 300 then 600. They were already nerfed in beta, yet they can still do that. Wonder what the hell Funcom are playing at to be honest.

Reading the Conquerer class forum seems like most of our skills are broke and a lot of feats are useless. I'm guessing its the same for most classes though.

I hope people dont get too attached to their toons at the minute cause theres gonna have to be a LOT of changes to make the game balanced. I suspect rangers and assasins will be crying soon :lol

Finally got out of tortage. Was fun but lasted far too long. At Connarch villiage now and spent the last half hour just PVP'ing. Losing rather badly though :(

Druz said:
Dude $800 is perfect

I just built a PC for that much.. I maxxed out Conan, High everything for Crysis 1280x1024

Here are my specs as reference, all the parts were bought at newegg

Abit IP35 PRO
Originally Corsair vx550w PSU(Which is awesome) but I ended up switching to a hx620w(which makes it more expensinsive than $800

eVGA8800GT SC 512mb - Which gets cheaper by the damn day.
Used a copy of Windows XP I already had
OCZ Reaper(PC2 6400)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 for cheap, but now you can find a better duo for even cheaper which is insane
LITE ON dvd.. 20 bucks
HD of your choice, netted a Seagate Barracuda 250gb for $65 dollars

Thanks a lot. The E8400 is like $15 more expensive, that is awesome. :lol Although I do need a new case since I'll be selling my old rig to help pay for this one, I can manage another 80-90.

I started playing on Fury PvP -server earlier tonight, and I am liking it a lot so far. The graphical style is awesome, as is the combat-system ( which is just vicious, and very, very fast ). I am a lvl 8 Barbarian at the moment.

I can't wait to see more of this game.

Yaweee

The game doesn't do everything well, but it kicks ass at two things-- Combat, and architecture/environments. It has an amazing engine for rendering buildings in the distance, even at the lowest graphics settings. In fact, I was admiring the view right when porting to Old Tarantia, when my computer froze to a black screen.

Is anybody else experiencing bugs like that? I know my computer is rather spotty, built from a poorly designed pack from Tiger Direct with a Pentium D, but it freezes like that are generally rare.

So far, in about... ten hours with the game, I've had one computer restart just when starting the game, the aforementioned black freeze, and an inexplicably horrific and completely unplayable framerate in Genzo's house. I've had a black freeze and restart while playing Warcraft with the same machine, but that is over a much broader timeframe.

EDIT: Aaaand, a blue screen memory-dump restart in Tarantia. I'm guessing it is the game, but... the uncertainty and knowing that I have at least a slightly-bad computer will eat at my subconscious. =(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Atrophis said:
Wow classes are totally unbalanced. Got killed by a level 12 ranger when i was 19 lol. He hit me for 300 then 600. They were already nerfed in beta, yet they can still do that. Wonder what the hell Funcom are playing at to be honest.

Reading the Conquerer class forum seems like most of our skills are broke and a lot of feats are useless. I'm guessing its the same for most classes though.

I hope people dont get too attached to their toons at the minute cause theres gonna have to be a LOT of changes to make the game balanced. I suspect rangers and assasins will be crying soon :lol

Finally got out of tortage. Was fun but lasted far too long. At Connarch villiage now and spent the last half hour just PVP'ing. Losing rather badly though :(

Herald of Xotli is going to get nerfed i know. The final strike on one of my combos hit 2 people in a party melee attacking me for over 1000 at lvl 20 lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TheHeretic said:

ARGH. Why did you say this? =( Although, I did notice some of this though (currently 23). Still having fun though.

Druz

It seems to me that every class is great now/eventually. You just have to find what it's good at.

Wasn't liking bear shaman but things ramped uphill quickly.

Yaweee

So, new Nvidia drivers came out last week, and they seem to have taken care of the freezing. However, I'm still a bit skeptical, as I always am, like that UN guy on the Simpsons. "Maybe the bridge collapsed on its own!"

-Black Screen Freeze 30 seconds after entering Old Whatever
-Blue Screen Restart a minute after restarting.
-Update Drivers
-No freeze? 30 minutes so far.

1) The Debate quest was awesome, and shows a depth of story/character/world/philosophy rarely seen in MMOs.

2) The area around this city is really fucking pretty, even with all of the settings on low (characters are a fuzzy mess).

Ferrio

Banned
Halvie said:
Started a guardian....are they decent for pvp? Can't really get into the looks of any of the light armor classes.

I don't think anyone would be able to tell you unless they've reached the point to get full plate, which only guardians can wear.

antispin

My copy's on its way from Game. Is there any way I can get started on downloading the client and the numerous patches? Or do I need the retail key for that? I have the EA code, which helped me register and gave forum access but I can't did not see an option to download the client and patches. Got links someone?

Halvie said:
Started a guardian....are they decent for pvp? Can't really get into the looks of any of the light armor classes.

Yes. Throw a knockdown, switch to O stance and lay into them with a combo. Then switch back to D, change to your other weapon (spear or sword/shield) and repeat. The key is patience and knowing when to switch stances. Against magic users, stay in normal stance and use knockdowns like I suggested.

It's really a lot of fun.

Druz

No.. Guardians are great for PvE, but in PVP people know to just ignore them since guardians can't do any damage.

Ariexv

It's really silly to be arguing about Pvp balance ATM..... @ especially sub 20 pvp, All that matters is the balance @ 80, in the end it won't matter if a Ranger wtf owns 20 people @ once @ lvl 40 if they are balanced @ 80.(which from all accounts I've heard if anything Rangers are underpowered post-60)

Got the game today, will post screenshots and impressions about how it runs on my hardware tonight. I really hope to enjoy this..

Anyone playing on a PvP or a PvP Roleplay server here? Let me know :)

Chrange

Banned
KillJade said:
Wow! This game is damn fun. The visuals in DX10 mode are insane! Too bad I have to go to bed...damn work ...

Did they actually add in DX10 support, or is it still a pointless toggle?

Rather than recording every line of dialog for the first 20 levels, they should have at least got a greeting for every NPC, its shocking going from fully voiced to completely silent.

ARG ! this friend pass code thing is BS !! ...just put the code on the back of the piece of paper ! now i have to wait for my friend to log on and get me a code :(

Nobiru said:
ARG ! this friend pass code thing is BS !! ...just put the code on the back of the piece of paper ! now i have to wait for my friend to log on and get me a code :(
Friend codes haven't even been activated yet and won't be for awhile still.

Top Bottom