• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Wonders III |OT| Follow The Leader

SparkTR

n3zRtb1.png

Ct4NUXr.png

l1OCndN.jpg

a2hSWVK.jpg

rK4JeNl.jpg

Props to KenOD for the title.

Reviews:

CCC - 86%
PC Games - 82%
Gamestar - 82%
Incgamers- 8/10
Gizorama - 4/5
Gameswelt.de - 9/10

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
13474840904_df9c09f4e9_o.gif

Developer: Triumph Studios (wiki)
Publishers: Triumph Studios (digital)
EuroVideo: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein
Namco Bandai Games: France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden
Techland: Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary.
Buka: Russia and CIS countries
Genre: High Fantasy Turn-Based Strategy/4X
Platform: PC, Steamworks
Release Date: March 31st Worldwide

13474589293_9b3dda7dff_o.gif

Age of Wonders 3 will release with digital standard ($39.99), digital deluxe ($44.99) and retail ($39.99) versions. Our European friends will have a chance to purchase various retail Collector's Editions!

Those who pre-order digital will receive the Elven Resurgence stand alone scenario.

Return to the roots of the Age of Wonders with this unique Pre-Purchase gift for our loyal fans. Once a sanctuary of the Elven Court, Heartwood Forest is now a defiled battleground with savage clans warring over its natural treasures. Following The Mending of the Wood Elves and the Dark Elves, the newly formed High Elves vow to retake Heartwood Forest and restore it to its ancient glory. You can play this Stand Alone Scenario featuring sylvan wars and underground clashes versus AI opponents or in multiplayer with up to 6 players.

Digital Deluxe buyers have access to the game original soundtrack and additional Dragon's Throne scenario.

An extra large Stand-Alone Scenario. Legend tells of dragons who ruled the fabled Sea of Flames at the dawn of time. However nobody has seen a True Dragon in living memory. The isles are still loaded with treasure and have become popular with adventures, merchants, scoundrels and sightseers. Now eight rival lords have found a mysterious dragon’s egg, and each sees it as proof of their claim to the Dragon’s Throne. The sages warn they risk unleashing the wrath of the Dragons, but the Lords pay no heed as they prepare for war. You can play the Dragon’s Throne versus AI opponents or in multiplayer with up to 8 players.

Click me to find out about the different retail Collector's Editions for Europe.

Click me to buy with draconian Steam DRM
Click me to buy the Standard version from based GOG DRM free
Click me to buy the Digital Deluxe version from GOG

13474590083_6a824baf23_o.gif

Minimum
OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @2.6 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia 8800 / ATi Radeon HD 3870 with 512MB or Laptop integrated Intel HD 3000 with 3GB system ram
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
Additional Notes: Open connection for online multiplayer. 1024x768 screen resolution.

Recommended
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz or AMD Phenom X4 9900 @ 2.6 Ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia Geforce 460 1GB or AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
Additional Notes: Open connection for online multiplayer. 1920*1080 screen resolution.

13474491025_3576ac0967_o.gif

Age of Wonders III is the long anticipated sequel to the award-winning strategy series. Delivering a unique mix of Empire Building, Role Playing and Warfare, Age of Wonders III offers the ultimate in turn-based fantasy strategy for veterans of the series and new players alike! Immerse yourself in a rich single player story campaign, playable from two sides of an epic conflict.

Create an Empire in your own Image
  • Rule as one of 6 RPG style leader classes: Sorcerer, Theocrat, Rogue, Warlord, Archdruid, or the tech-focused Dreadnought.
  • Research powerful skills unique to your class to develop your empire and arsenal.
  • Choose your allies from among the six main races - Humans, High Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins and Draconians - and fantastical monster dwellings.

Explore and Exploit a Living Fantasy World
  • Explore a rich fantasy world that is more detailed and alive than ever with over 50 location types to raid for treasure.
  • Expand your domain by building new settlements, forge pacts with monstrous allies and capture valuable resources.
  • Wield earth shattering magic and terra-form the lands for your needs.

Fight In-depth Tactical Battles
  • Recruit legendary heroes, equip them with magical weapons, and let them lead your armies into battle.
  • Crush your enemies using the detailed 3D turn-based Tactical Combat System.
  • Become a master tactician. Crush city defenses. Learn to use flanking and master your army’s hundreds of abilities.

Up to 8 player multiplayer
  • Coop: Random maps and stand-alone scenarios can be played using player alliances versus computer opponents.
  • Local Coop: Random maps and stand-alone scenarios can be played using “Hot Seat” mode on the same computer using player alliances versus computer opponents.
  • Versus: Create endless scenarios using the random map generator. Compete in multiplayer wars with up to 8 players in hot seat and online sessions.
Level Editing Tools are provided as a courtesy to fans. They might have different system specifications from the Age of Wonders III game, are not tech supported and have an English only interface.

13474840694_003d91ee1c_o.gif

Official video:
Announce trailer
Official gameplay trailer
Theocrat gameplay
Archdruid and random map generator trailer
Rogue trailer

Unofficial video:
Multiplayer Let's Play
Preview with Dreadnought class

Screenshots:

13474672343_8e5a1efffe_o.gif

4players - 86
Age of Wonders 3 gives you challenging 4X strategy within a charming fantasy setting with one of the best enemy AIs I’ve seen in years.

Cheat Code Central - 86
Whether playing a campaign against the computer or taking on eight other players in a random map, it bears the hallmark only a few empire building games have--the addiction to take "just one more turn".

PC Games(german) - 82
Age of Wonders 3 is everything fans of the series wished it to be: a deep and complex turn-based strategy game with lots to discover, a true PC Game with beautiful graphics. Although its campaigns lack a certain something and the economic part of its gameplay never reaches the excellence of Civilization 5, Age of Wonders 3 is still a challenging game you don’t have to regret sinking many, many hours into.

Incgamers - 8
Overall though, players of any experience level will find enjoyable, rich strategy gameplay from Age of Wonders 3. Plus, if you’re anything like me, it’ll provide long-lasting memories of crushing your friends in battle.

Gamespot - 7
Online foibles aside, with its tactically rewarding battles and streamlined empire management, Age of Wonders III is a well-crafted strategy game that doesn't let itself get bogged down in needless busywork. It pushes your focus onto its strongest suit, the battlefield, while keeping everything else in the background. Some smart elements of randomness help keep you on your toes after multiple sessions, though you will find several go-to strategies still apply regardless of the sort of army you lead. Age of Wonders III is the welcome return of a long-absent strategy series and a tactically rewarding game.

Rock Paper Shotgun - no score
Age of Wonders III could have been constructed in the golden age of turn-based strategy. In fact, given the competition it’s going to have as the year goes on, it’s an additional reason to believe that we might be heading for that golden age right now.

Thanks for reading!

13474842124_3f372b81a9_o.gif

Decado

While I will definitely buy, I hope there is blood and gore DLC, like what Creative Assembly release for their newer Total War games. When the game was first announced it seemed they planned to make battles more brutal. Alas, combat just looks very clean. Or maybe modders will find a workaround.

So, I've never played an Age of Wonders game in my life, but I'm a huge fan of Civilization. I've watched gameplay videos of Age of Wonders III, and it looks fun. How's the learning curve? Also, nice OT.

I'm in the same boat, haven't played any of the previous AoW but I was sold on the hex grid and turn-based combat. That and the ability to be a theocrat, declare your enemies to be heretics and burn them at the stake. Or smite them, with your Shrine of Smiting.

epmode

I'm still looking for someone to post a screen at 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. But I guess there's no beta in progress or anything.

I'm really looking forward to this, provided that the UI is playable at those resolutions!

Will there be a demo?

Good question.

Mrbob

I'm pretty excited to try this franchise out. I'm an Age of Wonder newbie. Great couple weeks for 4X releases between AoW3 and Warlock 2.

Jag

Huge fan of the series since day 1. Pre-ordered and ready to go!

So, I've never played an Age of Wonders game in my life, but I'm a huge fan of Civilization. I've watched gameplay videos of Age of Wonders III, and it looks fun. How's the learning curve? Also, nice OT.

Probably easier than Civ.

tensuke

Pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version off of Steam, figured the extra scenario and OST were worth 5$ more.

I did the same. Wanted to give Triumph as much as I could (damn you European-only collector's editions!!!). Amazing OT, tetsuo!

Still can't believe this game is coming out in a couple of days. I didn't even know it existed until January, I thought the franchise was long dead. Shame it's coming out on a Monday though lol.

Zafir

I'm still looking for someone to post a screen at 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. But I guess there's no beta in progress or anything.

I'm really looking forward to this, provided that the UI is playable at those resolutions!

Good question.
Is there many games where it's unplayable at 1440p? I've yet to come across one as a 1440p monitor user.

On topic though, can't wait. Also haven't played Age of Wonders before, but given the digital deluxe a pre-order due to being a fan of 4X games.

epmode

Is there many games where it's unplayable at 1440p? I've yet to come across one as a 1440p monitor user.

I'm talking more about the UI being too small at high resolutions. I'm trying to find out whether or not AoW3's UI will scale up properly (like Warlock) or if the font and menu icons stay the same size regardless of resolution (like Fallen Enchantress).

Zafir

I'm talking more about the UI being too small at high resolutions. I'm trying to find out whether or not AoW3's UI will scale up properly (like Warlock) or if the font and menu icons stay the same size regardless of resolution (like Fallen Enchantress).
Oh I realise you meant that. I just haven't really come across anything where it's been an issue. Mind you I don't sit too far away.

epmode

Oh I realise you meant that. I just haven't really come across anything where it's been an issue.

It's not that it's impossible to see, just that some games make it much harder than others. I don't like having to look so closely at the screen, especially when it's obvious that the UI was designed to be larger in relation to the rest of the game.

A few games I'd play more often if the UI scaled properly:

Endless Space
Dead State
Grim Dawn
Planetary Annihilation
Kerbal Space Program

Zafir

It's not that it's impossible to see, just that some games make it much harder than others. I don't like having to look so closely at the screen, especially when it's obvious that the UI was designed to be larger in relation to the rest of the game.

A few games I'd play more often if the UI scaled properly:

Endless Space
Dead State
Grim Dawn
Planetary Annihilation
Kerbal Space Program
Ah right, admittedly I haven't played any of those at 1440p. Endless Space I played back when I had my old monitor.

Zornica

Banned
While I will definitely buy, I hope there is blood and gore DLC, like what Creative Assembly release for their newer Total War games. When the game was first announced it seemed they planned to make battles more brutal. Alas, combat just looks very clean. Or maybe modders will find a workaround.

why would anybody hope for something like that? It's a strategy game and not a shooter...

I'm replaying AoW 1 atm and it kinda makes me worry when I read about what they changed for 3.
I absolutely love the 1st game, but I didn't exactly like the 2nd one. It never sat right. I hated he stuff they added and missed the stuff they removed. This was especially true for hero and city management. The 3rd one seems like a continuation of this trend. I guess I'll just stick with part 1 for the time being.

I'm really excited for the release! The presentation in preview videos makes it seem very impressive, and the imaginative designs and ideas make me really adore it. I hope it does well for Triumph, I'd love to see some expansions for the game.

It's also nice to know that this game is loved enough to get two OTs. :)

Does anyone know what time it will unlock on GOG?

r3n4ud

Which is nice, way more information than mine.
Don't be hard on yourself. Both OT's compliment each other nicely :). Great job guys. Really looking forward to this one, but only later on. Have waaay to much to play currently. Will be a sweet summer sale pickup though.

SparkTR

Does anyone know what time it will unlock on GOG?

Not sure, but if it's like other games it'll unlock sooner than on Steam.

Does it actually need this for the game, or just to download it in the first place?

I'm sure it's only for the download, at least the gog version specified it's for "online multiplayer".

Don't be hard on yourself. Both OT's compliment each other nicely :). Great job guys. Really looking forward to this one, but only later on. Have waaay to much to play currently. Will be a sweet summer sale pickup though.

Thanks! I should have waited also, I've got a maybe 300 games backlog on Steam, but I can't say no to Age of Wonders. Hell, I may even pick up Warlock 2 soon.

@Spark I hope you're right. I'll be up early on that day, so it'd be a shame if I can't play it right away. :(

So what are y'all planning to do once it's released? Personally, I'm going to use either a Dwarven or Goblin Dreadnaught and terrorise the surface realms in skirmish matches against the A.I. I'm sure I'll spend a fair bit making a custom leader too, since that stuff looks very robust this time around. After losing a few times I'll probably also try the campaign out as well, since I've heard it's like a tutorial in the first section.

Durante

I have no time to play this at all right now, but I made the mistake of watching the gameplay trailer and now I'll be there day 1.

Love AoW:SM, and this looks to be a real improvement on many levels.

Nohar

I watched a couple "let's play", and one thing seems certain: the random map generator is incredibly better than the Shadow Magic one (well, AoW:SM random map generator was just plain bad), so that's a huge improvement which will give the game a lot more replay value. Not to mention the map editor which is available from the start. The community will be able to make some great maps.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yea this game is looking like a complete no brainer. We will have to wait and see about AI and everything but the new mechanics and systems are looking really solid. ALso looks fantastic, graphically.

The Theocrat video from Triumph made the A.I. seem fine - an Eldritch Horror or whatever made good use of terrain to limit where it could be attacked. And in the RPS WIT, I think they mentioned being harassed early on so at the very least the A.I. doesn't turtle.

I can't decide between this game and Warlock II.

You're in this thread, you've already made your decision! (and it's the right one)

Dawn_of_the_final_day-%2528n1304606931494%2529.jpg

Can't... wait...

This now (almost) applies to me! Huzzah.

Top Bottom