• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Wonders III |OT| Follow The Leader

alstein

Hoping this game is what I'm expecting of it. Pretty hyped.

Also preordered on GOG about a month back.

My only worry is that there may not be enough- they did hack off a bunch of races from the previous game.

Nohar

That I agree. Though, well, we can't expect to have as many playable races as in Shadow Magic, which itself was basically AoW 2.5. But, yeah, 6 races seems quite small in comparison of the 15 races of SM. On the other hand, independants seems more important, we still have a bunch of summoneable units, and the classes will add some interesting variety to the game (though I'm beginning to wonder if the irregular units restricted to a class will not become the prefered units, and that the regular units from each race will be discarded in favor of said irregulars most of the time).

Durante

My only worry is that there may not be enough- they did hack off a bunch of races from the previous game.
Yeah, that's true, but if it's successful I guess we can expect addons. And as Nohar says, it's a bit unfair to compare it to SM, since that's more like a standalone expansion.

SparkTR

Yeah, that's true, but if it's successful I guess we can expect addons. And as Nohar says, it's a bit unfair to compare it to SM, since that's more like a standalone expansion.

There's already plans for an expansion, apparently. No DLC is likely.

Nohar

There's already plans for an expansion, apparently. No DLC is likely.

I'm afraid you are wrong. From what I read on the forums, new content will be added to the game as free updates, patches, DLC and eventually an expansion (but I don't remember them talking about that one at all - which is kinda normal, since the game isn't released yet).

Please note the initial release of AoWIII is just the starting point. After the game ships, we’ll continue to develop it with input from the fans (for both free updates, patches and DLC)

Source

alstein

As long as the DLC is good value, that's great news.

Idolmaster me up if you have to. (That said, hearing the sovereign creator has a lot of options- almost MMO-like)

Sign me up chief, day 1.

Looks like my Core 2 laptop will be able take on this game at lowish settings. I'm eager to see how it handles the game lol.

SparkTR

I'm afraid you are wrong. From what I read on the forums, new content will be added to the game as free updates, patches, DLC and eventually an expansion (but I don't remember them talking about that one at all - which is kinda normal, since the game isn't released yet).

Source

I remember reading an interview where they said a full expansion was more economical for them than developing smaller content releases. According to their Steam posts there may be a communication error on their part in regards to DLC:

Hi,

Quick comment on naming.

DLC stands for Down Loadable Content, which could be anything from a map to a full blown expansion.

I get the distinction you are trying to make DadouXIII. But you might want to check if any future AoW3 DLC is not actually hiding a nice expansion, before dismissing it based on the name.

But yeah it doesn't sound like smaller stuff is out completely.

Durante

I think DLC could work for a game like this, as long as it has a fair price/content ratio. Something like one new faction as one piece of DLC. However, I still prefer the expansion model.

Nohar

I'm fiercely against DLC as a whole. If it is content which could be labeled as a bona fide extension, I'm fine with it. If it is piece by piece, like one faction after the other, all priced individually at 5$ (and I'm not even talking about individual maps), I'm going to be pissed. I have come to have a 0 tolerance policy regarding DLC.

SparkTR

I've been playing the original in anticipation and games in this genre don't age at all it seems, still amazing these days.

tensuke

I've been playing the original in anticipation and games in this genre don't age at all it seems, still amazing these days.

Yeah the first (my favorite) still holds up really well, although it is a bit easy when you've learned how to outsmart the AI. Also it crashes often (win8x64), and the 1080p UI is tiny. Of course, look at when it came out. :p

Really hope it has a midnight release and they enable preloading on Steam sometime today...I'd like to play for a bit tonight because if I can't, I'll have to sit through all my classes tomorrow just thinking about AoW. Also, does anyone know how the deluxe soundtrack works on Steam? Does it just download into the game's folder or something?

Edit: For the soundtrack, just noticed this on the store page:

Songs and OST materials will be placed in your AoW3 folder in the Steam Directory: "...Steam\steamapps\common\AoW3\OST"

I think it probably will release on midnight, shame there doesn't seem to be a preload for it though (still waiting til 4 to be sure).

mojo2

Neo Member
I wish we could unlock it already by proxy, can't wait for tomorrow night. But I guess it's not gonna unlock at midnight, shouldn't there be a counter?
I guess my only hope is that this little flu gets nasty...

Nohar

Can we at least pre load yet?

Sadly, no (which is a tad frustrating). Maybe we will have better luck in 12 hours or so.

On a side note, I met a very nice guy who offers us to release the game earlier than expected. He just asks us to make a contract with him. Sounds like a good deal, we totally should trust him. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

alstein

Sadly, no (which is a tad frustrating). Maybe we will have better luck in 12 hours or so.

On a side note, I met a very nice guy who offers us to release the game earlier than expected. He just asks us to make a contract with him. Sounds like a good deal, we totally should trust him. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Only if you add in cute and stylish pre-order outfits, and muskets. ^_^

SparkTR

Nice to see this shot up to the second best seller on Steam today. Hopefully some good reviews and momentum will maintain those sales at release.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
This is going for 11 (Normal) and 13 (Deluxe) keys for anyone wanting it for the cheapest, Dota2 keys are ~$2.20 at the moment.

Nohar

Hum, either I'm misunderstanding something, either you posted in the wrong thread Ikuu. I don't understand what Dota2 keys have to do with buying AoW3.

Shaldome

Watched the quill18 streams about it and pre ordered right after that.

If anyone needs more reasons to buy this game:

There are Dire Penguins in the game! And they are evil and have an vampiric attack!

Nohar

Official site info about the release hour:

Many questions have come to us asking for to the exact dawn of the Third Age of Wonders. The Seers here in Delft, the Netherworld, project this jubilant new Age will dawn when the clock strikes 6 in the evening in Continental European Lands (CET), and the clock strikes 9 on the shores of the Great Pacific Seas (PST). May there be much rejoicing!

So, more or less 3 hours, unless I'm mistaken.

Odd 'review', almost like it was made for children or someone who'd never played a strategy game before.

For the typical Gamespot visitor likely to be viewing that particular review, that's most likely the case lol. This game belongs to PC gamers niche, not the console focused audience that Gamespot caters to lately.

Nillansan

Odd 'review', almost like it was made for children or someone who'd never played a strategy game before.

What's wrong with his voice? Is he channeling his inner 1930's radio announcer?
And the review itself is really weird as well....

It's not exactly an insightful review, it feels very basic. I am not entirely sure why he is straining his vocal cords like that.

I saw it in my Recommended feed and went ahead and posted it here.

Ben Sones

For the typical Gamespot visitor likely to be viewing that particular review, that's most likely the case lol. This game belongs to PC gamers niche, not the console focused audience that Gamespot caters to lately.

It's a terrible review, either way. Little more than the same descriptive information you could get off the game's website, with a 7.0 tacked on at the end. Why that score? It's hard to say, since the "review" contained almost no critical observations whatsoever. It read like something that could have been written right after the author finished the tutorial.

Gamespot, man. LOL.

SparkTR

And now it's the no.1 seller. Hopefully it stays that way for a while.

On another note I hope we get the sales of Banished soon, that also did pretty well (dethroned DayZ) and all it takes is one success story to jump start a genre. And I want more management games.

Arksy

I don't think I'm able to express just how much of my teenage years I wasted on the Age of Wonders games.

To have a third, after all this time, is nothing less than divine intervention.

And now it's the no.1 seller. Hopefully it stays that way for a while.

That's awesome. Good for them! :)

I finally broke down and pre-ordered it a little while ago, which is something I very rarely do, but the various YouTube videos completely sold me on the game. Actually, I've never even played an Age of Wonders title before, but this really gives the impression of being a labour of love. I hope I'm not fooling myself.

Top Bottom