• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Airbender' & 'Prince of Persia' were 'whitewashed'

Status
Not open for further replies.
harSon said:
People seem to under the assumption that this is a recent phenomenon, I've compiled a list of relatively recent films (80s to a few years ago) that are about another culture group/country but told from a white character's point of view:

and gaf favs avatar and district 9 are the same type of thing

It seems to me that the only people that seem off in Avatar is Kitara and Sokka being played by White kids with very pale skin. For Aang and Zuko they're close enough that I'm not even worried about it at all.
As for Prince of Persia, in the movie the Prince looked that part very convincingly and the only people that were out of place in the whole movie were maybe the princess and the oldest brother of the prince who both looked more like people from medieval England.

Bleepey said:
What do you lot think of an Asian actor playing a white German characetr in X-men origins: Wolverine
I'm sure fans of that character weren't pleased. I was upset that they turned Wolverine from a gruff stocky badass to an emo relictant prettyboy.

jdogmoney

Has the Penny Arcade comic been posted? I tried to stay away from this thread, but the allure of utter ridiculousness drew me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom