• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana new CAVE shoot em up

ChryZ said:
Likely, but at the same time they prevent/limit any growth of their fan base. I'd rather see them thrive as much as possible.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how Guwange does then. Maybe if it sells 60,000 :)lol) Cave will move towards digital distribution.

danmaku

ChryZ said:
Releasing on disc in limited numbers (prints) will keep it niche for sure, but with DD you can bait people with easy access (availability, demos and sales) and the threshold for trying something new would be much lower. You also don't have to invest upfront in physical production of media and its distribution.

Well, printing discs (DVDs) and manuals isn't a big cost, and their games (even region free ones) are distributed only in Japan. Plus, their margin on each copy is higher than your typical AAA 360 game.

It's true that with DD more people are going to try the game and buy it, but as Mandoric said, "more" sales isn't enough. They need 5x/6x more copies than now to make more money; Death Smiles is their biggest hit so far and it sold about 40k copies. Futari and Espgaluda 2 sold less than that (and they were region free). Do you think an XBLA version of DS could sell 250k copies? hard to tell.

ChryZ

duckroll said:
By admitting that they will make less money, you are also admitting that any perceived growth of their "fan base" isn't very significant. If so, what's the point? If by selling a game at 20 bucks they can expand the fan base by 10x, then sure they should most definitely do it. If we're talking about 15k buyers versus 8k buyers, it's not even worth discussing. That's not thriving, that's just being stupid.
Sometimes you have to sell something at a lower price in order to promote growth. The more cows you can lure into your stable, the more milk you can make in the future.

duckroll

ChryZ said:
Sometimes you have to sell something at a lower price in order to promote growth. The more cows you can lure into your stable, the more milk you can make in the future.

I'm pretty sure Cave knows more about how well their business model is working than you do. You don't want to pay more than 20 bucks for their games, that's fine. They're not going to sell for less.

Tain

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure Cave knows more about how well their business model is working than you do. You don't want to pay more than 20 bucks for their games, that's fine. They're not going to sell for less.

Yeah. Cave knows what they're doing, and they understand that they just might not have to sell these games as second-class titles.

It's totally expected (though still annoying) that most of the thread is talk of a 360 port, but asking for brand fuckin' new Cave games on digital distribution for budget prices is probably the worst kind of port begging. I'd love for all content-rich games that I'll play for a while to be ten bucks on release, but it's nice to want things.

on-topic, what are the chances that this is 2D? That's a mighty small PCB, so here's hoping. I wish the game was vertical; honestly, the fact that it's horizontal makes me worry a tiny bit. Hopefully that isn't their thing now!

i remember reading somewhere that Cave actually wanted to put tons of their games on XBLA but MS refused them. iirc they said MS was axing down the faithful arcade ports to XBLA.

LiK

NonexistentK said:
i remember reading somewhere that Cave actually wanted to put tons of their games on XBLA but MS refused them. They said MS was axing down the faithful arcade ports on XBLA or something.
The DodonPachi XBLA port was denied by MS a few years ago, iirc

Tain said:
I wish the game was vertical; honestly, the fact that it's horizontal makes me worry a tiny bit. Hopefully that isn't their thing now!

Sadly, I think it is their new thing really. Vertical shmups does not translate well to widescreen consoles, and the console market is now a big source of incoming for Cave, so they cannot ignore it. The fact their new game is a hori means that it is done with console ports in mind.

NonexistentK said:
i remember reading somewhere that Cave actually wanted to put tons of their games on XBLA but MS refused them. iirc they said MS was axing down the faithful arcade ports to XBLA.
Where did you hear that?

Because Guwange is coming, you know.

NonexistentK said:

Half true. It was not Cave, it was 5pb which had their license. And so those games ended as full disc releases. The problem was that at the time MS was trying to not allow straight arcade ports with no enhance at all (like a lot of those games were flooding XBLA at the time). 5pb did not submit any enhance (in fact even the disc releases only have a simple filter and not HD sprites or new modes, like other Cave ports that followed it).

The fact Guwange is comming to XBLA by Cave means that those kind of games are allowed as long as they are improved over the originals.

LiK

_dementia said:
Where did you hear that?

That was a few years ago when XBLA had the size limit and MS was more strict with ports.

Tain

Sadly, I think it is their new thing really. Vertical shmups does not translate well to widescreen consoles, and the console market is now a big source of incoming for Cave, so they cannot ignore it. The fact their new game is a hori means that it is done with console ports in mind.

Cave slowly shifting focus to consoles is definitely my worry. We'll see, I guess.

danmaku

LiK said:
The DodonPachi XBLA port was denied by MS a few years ago, iirc

yep, Microsoft canned the DOJ and Ketsui ports on Live Arcade. Either they changed their mind or the real motive had nothing to do with a "no arcade ports" policy (maybe 5PB wasn't up to MS standards for XBLA?).

edit: beaten

_dementia said:
Where did you hear that?
well this was some time ago and it was a 5pb rep who made the statement but here's the quote & the link
Our initial plan was to port lots of good arcade titles to XBLA. We talked to IP holders of these titles, and persuaded them. We secured these licenses, and finally talked with Microsoft. There they rejected all of our proposals saying, 'We are going to cut down faithful arcade ports.' We felt so frustrated. We wanted to show them that their decision was wrong. So we switched our two most promising projects into retail
link

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I hate these kinds of arguments... people implying that because a game is 2D, it must be "low budget" and relegated to the DD libraries. Listen, some people 1) prefer to own a physical copy of games, and 2) a lot of these games have far more depth and replay value than a high-budget $60 retail release that takes 5 hours to plow through.

That said, I'm hoping the game gets either a US 360 release, or a region free Japanese 360 release. Will be buying it if that's the case, as I <3 Cave.

JEKKI

I am so hype!!

Butterfly in the sky

I can go twice as high

Take a look

It's in a book

A Red Katana

I can go anywhere

Friends to know

And ways to grow

A Red Katana

Narcosis

All I ask is for a region free release on home consoles when it comes time, or localization. Please, someone do this.

First screenshots of the game spotted! Also a completely awesome excuse to post in this thread. And the price? 198,000 yen, or $2,276.69 USD. Start saving up your pennies!

1542099515_213.jpg

danmaku

It totally looks like a Progear sequel (just look at the pattern fired by the green plane!). 2D or 3D? can't tell from such small pics...

Tain

So there isn't any confirmation that it's 3d? That's good to hear.

PCB is tiny. Hope that's some compact SH3 hardware!

RavenFox said:
Damn did Sony shit on them to? Or this was a 360 thing only?
Yes, Arika was going to port Ketsui to PS3 after they were unable to get it running perfectly on PS2, but Sony shot them down.

I wonder why they never went to 360 after being turned down though. I'd much rather play an Arika Ketsui than a 5pb one

_dementia said:
I wonder why they never went to 360 after being turned down though. I'd much rather play an Arika Ketsui than a 5pb one

After DonDonPachi fisco, wasn´t Ketsui 360 port supervised by Akira anyway?

Chiaroscuro said:
After DonDonPachi fisco, wasn´t Ketsui 360 port supervised by Akira anyway?
That would be surprisingly amiable of them working together considering 5pb stole Arika code for DDPDOJBLEX

_dementia said:
That would be surprisingly amiable of them working together considering 5pb stole Arika code for DDPDOJBLEX

It was not 5pb, but the company they hired to do the port (Aqua Systems). 5pb managing issued apologies for that and if I remember well, worked with Akira to fix the game by patch.

See http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/06/19/dodonpachi_controversy/
and http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/03/dodonpachi_patch_delay/

So, Mihara (Akira) was supervising DDPDOJBLEX patch fix.

Daigoro

ChryZ said:
Those games should be on PSN or XBLA, gah >_<

ugh. every fucking shmup thread...

danmaku said:
It totally looks like a Progear sequel (just look at the pattern fired by the green plane!). 2D or 3D? can't tell from such small pics...

yeah that pattern does look pretty Progearesque. cool!

i love hori's so im really looking forward to hopefully being able to play this one day. loving the concept and bullet points for the game.

cant wait to see some real screens.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I was kind of hoping for 16:9 this time. Hard to tell from the screens but it looks nice enough.

ps3 please

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd much rather play an Arika Ketsui than a 5pb one

well, there really isn't much lacking from the final released version other than more expansive display options. Really is a fantastic effort.

The DDP patch - it's like my massive 14 inch willy: there's a lot of talk about it but no one ever gets to see it and chances are that it doesn't really exist. ;)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Will buy the PCB if it is 2D. SOMEONE CLARIFY, and how do I go about using the PCB board there?

luka said:
I was kind of hoping for 16:9 this time. Hard to tell from the screens but it looks nice enough.

ps3 please
Definitely 4:3.

Those games should be on PSN or XBLA, gah >_<
I hope you get eaten by bears.

Mandoric

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Will buy the PCB if it is 2D. SOMEONE CLARIFY, and how do I go about using the PCB board there?

It plugs into an old-style JAMMA chassis with 15k monitor or SuperGun adapted for 4 buttons, and you'll want the attached stick to be 8-way.

Its going to be expensive on PCB for the first couple of years , I would kill for a full kit if its anything like Progear though .

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got $3500 coming in next month so good timing on their part. Need to do some research on the JAMMA cab and everything though. This will be a lot of work since this will be my first time doing something like this.

Top Bottom