• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana new CAVE shoot em up

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I like the character design. someone make a slice-of-life anime about their training at Bullethell Academy. :3

Damn, that looks fantastic. Great bullet patterns, great art, great music, great graphics. Looks like another classic.

Does this have multiple difficulties or another loop?

hipgnosis

The game looks really good. Music sounds great also! Level 4 with the submarines was awesome, reminded me of In The Hunt by Irem.

The game seems really easy though, the guy in the video got to the level 4 boss with his first credit. Also somebody reported that he tried the game and beated the Stage 5 boss and TLB with his first try, so this seems unuasually easy for a Cave game. Maybe they want to appeal to more casual audience with this game?

hipgnosis said:
The game looks really good. Music sounds great also! Level 4 with the submarines was awesome, reminded me of In The Hunt by Irem.

The game seems really easy though, the guy in the video got to the level 4 boss with his first credit. Also somebody reported that he tried the game and beated the Stage 5 boss and TLB with his first try, so this seems unuasually easy for a Cave game. Maybe they want to appeal to more casual audience with this game?
Makes good business sense. DS was pretty easy too, and I would consider that their casual game. It was also their most successful, right?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
_dementia said:
Makes good business sense. DS was pretty easy too, and I would consider that theier casual game. It was also their most successful, right?
It got me to buy a 360 after trying it at the arcade for a couple of hours. So I'd say yes on that.

danmaku

_dementia said:
Makes good business sense. DS was pretty easy too, and I would consider that their casual game. It was also their most successful, right?

It's their most successful on consoles, I don't know about arcade revenues.
AK will probably be harder when played for score, even Daifukkatsu is said to be pretty easy if you play for survival and pretty hard if you want to score well. Maybe there's a second loop that unlocks if you do some crazy hard stuff, let's wait and see. After all, Mushi's Ultra mode unlocked only after 1CCing the game 100 times! (50 times if you played Maniac).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Aigis said:

2db6q0j.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
vocab said:
I love cave, but cmon guys release your shit on the PS3 FFS.

It's nice to want things, but I gave up on this when I read that the Cave devs are huge xbox fanboys. It's probably never going to happen.

Kuran

Banned
This is so ugly to me.

Pre-rendered sprites, explosions that don't match, and horrendous bullet pattern colors. Oh well. I guess I don't get it.

hipgnosis said:

It does look pretty easy, but I have no idea how scoring works. I'm sure that complicates it a lot, like danmaku said.

I'd also be really surprised if this game doesn't have an unlockable second loop or higher difficulty.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm not too concerned by the difficulty. I mean Cave games have been getting progressively harder (with a few exceptions like espgaluda) in order to keep their hardcore fanbase interested...but you can only take that so far right? After cutting my teeth with DOJ for the last few months the thought of playing something even tougher hurts my brain. I love Cave but I think they should be focused on making more unique systems and features over trying to keep the best players from 1CCing for longer periods with each successive title. AK looks great and all, but it's pretty much just Progear+Espgaluda+Daifukkatsu. There isn't a whole lot of new stuff here.

I mean...holy shit it took someone 9 months beat hibachi in Daifukkatsu! Awesome! That just means I will probably never in my life even reach him...so good for Cave I guess.

-Game is designed around destructible objects and dodging bullets - the core elements of an enjoyable STG - rather than obstacles and topography. This gives it a refreshing feeling.

Yeah. I thought deathsmiles was one of the more 'refreshing' Cave games lately because of the topography. :lol

Stop asking for PS3 ports (isn't bannable to ask for console ports?).

If you are truly a Cave fan you should already have a Japanese Xbox 360.

luka said:
I'm not too concerned by the difficulty. I mean Cave games have been getting progressively harder (with a few exceptions like espgaluda) in order to keep their hardcore fanbase interested...but you can only take that so far right? After cutting my teeth with DOJ for the last few months the thought of playing something even tougher hurts my brain. I love Cave but I think they should be focused on making more unique systems and features over trying to keep the best players from 1CCing for longer periods with each successive title. AK looks great and all, but it's pretty much just Progear+Espgaluda+Daifukkatsu. There isn't a whole lot of new stuff here.

Beating Hibachi in DoJ is more difficult than in Daifukkatsu for a couple reasons:

1. You don't get bullet cancel hyper spam or tons of bullet-cancel enemies. You need far more dodging skill.
2. In the original Dai-ou-jou (non black label version), the game removes all but 1 of your lives upon starting loop 2, making Cave easily the biggest jerks in video game history. Because of this, it took years for anyone to complete loop 2 of DoJ, even with the most hardcore Japanese players hammering away at it. Forget 9 months! To this day I believe less than 10 people have actually cleared the original DoJ.

I'd say Cave games have been getting easier since Mushihime-sama Futari. They haven't released anything that meets or exceeds DoJ and Futari Ultra mode yet.

I'm really thinking about getting this game's PCB. But then again I would need a cabinet aswell. Heard SEGA's AstroCity or Taito's Egret II are suitable for this, eh?

So anyway, where to order and how much would be the game? Thanks in advance!

J2d

Doesn't look that hot to me but then I'm not that big of a Cave fan these days.
mjemirzian said:
Because of this, it took years for anyone to complete loop 2 of DoJ, even with the most hardcore Japanese players hammering away at it.
I doubt it took years, probably did it in one.

Solemn Nomad

Neo Member
Mailenstein said:
I'm really thinking about getting this game's PCB. But then again I would need a cabinet aswell. Heard SEGA's AstroCity or Taito's Egret II are suitable for this, eh?

So anyway, where to order and how much would be the game? Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is to get a PCB through an arcade game dealer since this game is so new. Its unlikely that anyone on the shmups forum or cave-stg would be selling one. Check out Fujita Communications, they're taking orders on them right now. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny though.

mjemirzian said:
Probably best to check http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php or http://shmups.system11.org

Likely paying at least $2500 US after shipping and customs.

Solemn Nomad said:
Your best bet is to get a PCB through an arcade game dealer since this game is so new. Its unlikely that anyone on the shmups forum or cave-stg would be selling one. Check out Fujita Communications, they're taking orders on them right now. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny though.
Thank you guys!

manzo

For some reason Espgaluda 2 and DeathSmiles 2x wore me out for a while - the announcement of Akai Katana didn't raise my interest at all.

Then I saw stage 4 gameplay. Interest raised through the roof.

manzo said:
For some reason Espgaluda 2 and DeathSmiles 2x wore me out for a while - the announcement of Akai Katana didn't raise my interest at all.

Then I saw stage 4 gameplay. Interest raised through the roof.

I saw people playing Akai Katana in HEY arcade center in Akihabara and i can say you won't be disappointed after playing it

As seen on shmups.com forums:

1CC run with TLB, about 290mil, the player is unknown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX81ZCk2kBY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooje-3Q8I_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQktz0_JKKQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRyIOaZ9T0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95B0LutDzpA

Doesn't look that difficult. Maybe there's an unlockable difficulty mode like Mushi Futari Ultra.

More videos posted on cave-stg, but they are on nicovideo.

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=944.225

Top Bottom