• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana new CAVE shoot em up

jlevel13

I definitely get an updated Progear feeling, mixed with a bit of Deathsmiles. My preference is for verts, but whatever - new Cave is always nice. I wish we could hear the music a lil' more in the video.

Tain

Definitely on the Ketsui side visually. How it plays is completely up in the air, though. I honestly don't want it to (or expect it to) play much like Progear.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
That looks fantastic. Really weird perspective though.

Also I thought this was meant to be a 'hardcore military shooter?' What's with the flying people going SSJ and throwing battleships around? :p

not that that isn't totally awesome btw

InfiniteNine said:
It's so beautiful. ;__;

Agreed. I really would love to play it, but I'm already pretty spoiled for amazing cave shoot em ups. Ketsui, DDP dai-ou-jou and Mushihime-sama Futari alone could keep you busy for years and years trying to master them.

meppi

Oh man, this looks Godly.

That second level with all the parallax scrolling, OMG! 0_o
If they keep this up I won't be able to resist getting a Japanese 360... why won't they just release the games on PS3 as well, it would be so much easier getting them.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ghibli99 said:
What, these are no more? Aksys? Sorry, I'm not up to speed on what's been going on since Deathsmiles' US release.
They are region locking all their games now. EspGaluda II was the last one to be region-free since there is interest in having their games localized.

ghibli99

InfiniteNine said:
They are region locking all their games now. EspGaluda II was the last one to be region-free since there is interest in having their games localized.
Gotcha... thanks for the info. FWIW, I'll definitely buy this if they bring it here.

InfiniteNine said:
Also the LE for Espgaluda was region locked

Demirichris

Neo Member
Cave games are so pure, basically they could all be titled Video Games: The Video Game.

I really wish I could afford the boards for one of my cabs, but alas, I have way too many other hobbies that eat up my spare cash. Really love the look and feel of what they do...Imagine what a Cave run and gun might be like - I'm picturing GunForce 2 on crack. Wow.

Lord Error said:
this does look great, but what was so bad about latest dodonpachi?

Laser spam bullet cancel hyper shot screen filling mess with little actual skill-based dodging and lots of visual diarrhea. It's like a euroshmup in the way that the developers hand you a shield and then just throw impossible patterns at your ship that they expect the shield to take care of.

See this vid for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fouVSOAZ_c

Observe how often the player is sitting invincible in hyper mode or bullet canceling so they don't actually have to dodge anything. Nothing like their classic games.

And don't even get me started on how stupid the games hibachi is..

Tain

I don't think so, look at DS and DSII

DSII got ported relatively quickly, but DS came out in '07 and got a home port in '09.

And while we're talking about ports, I'm definitely not planning on picking up any future non-Japan Cave home releases after what they did to the timing in Deathsmiles NA. Baffling.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Tain said:
DSII got ported relatively quickly, but DS came out in '07 and got a home port in '09.

And while we're talking about ports, I'm definitely not planning on picking up any future non-Japan Cave home releases after what they did to the timing in Deathsmiles NA. Baffling.
What did they do to it? I haven't played mine because Aksys hates Japanese consoles, so I've been playing the original release and pretending it's in English.

epmode

Tain said:
So it really was fucked up?

Screw that. I think I'll finally spring for a J360. Are Japanese slims available yet?

Tain

At first, people recognized that there was slowdown removed from MBL modes all over the place. Apparently MBL 1.1 is a complete joke.

But then people realized that the slowdown has been removed/made faster even in vanilla arcade mode. Especially bad during the EX stage and the castle.

This is something that Cave did (Aksys asked them about it and posted Cave's response on their forum), and it makes absolutely no sense.

Just serves to reinforce my paranoia regarding regional differences that I have with Japanese action games. Can't believe it's still happening in 2010!

Considering I have zero experience with Deathsmiles outside of the US port I can't help but agree that this is really shitty.

I definitely could have used the extra slowdown. =/

ghibli99

Tain said:
At first, people recognized that there was slowdown removed from MBL modes all over the place. Apparently MBL 1.1 is a complete joke.

But then people realized that the slowdown has been removed/made faster even in vanilla arcade mode. Especially bad during the EX stage and the castle.

This is something that Cave did (Aksys asked them about it and posted Cave's response on their forum), and it makes absolutely no sense.

Just serves to reinforce my paranoia regarding regional differences that I have with Japanese action games. Can't believe it's still happening in 2010!
Woah, had no idea. :( Mine's still in the shrinkwrap...

The difference is that it's not perfectly arcade accurate like the JP version. If you have no plans to ever compare your scores to the PCB or JP 360 release, it won't be an issue for you.

Just enjoy the game. It's a little different, that's all.

gunstarhero

Holy mother of god - this game looks amazing.
It's got armies of tanks, war planes that turn into bullet deflecting samurai, and WAR PLANES THAT TURN INTO BULLET DEFLECTING SAMURAI!

Get this to my Xbox ASAP!

epmode

I love the youtube comment:
Not sure about this one... The art style looks really weird/bad, and it just doesn't really look very fun. It's nice that cave is putting out some failures, should remind them that they aren't the infallible masters of arcade shooting games.
Are we watching the same video?

hipgnosis

The game looks fantastic. I'm a little worried about the too frequent bullet canceling/reflecting though. I don't want another Futari Arrange. :/

Especially in that last video the player doesn't seem to dodge patterns hardly at all, he's just reflecting shit. I want to dodge my bullets!

danmaku

hipgnosis said:
The game looks fantastic. I'm a little worried about the too frequent bullet canceling/reflecting though. I don't want another Futari Arrange. :/

Especially in that last video the player doesn't seem to dodge patterns hardly at all, he's just reflecting shit. I want to dodge my bullets!

That's my fear as well. Hopefully they'll get some feedback from loke tests and balance the game so that you can't survive by just reflecting everything. At least, not when you are playing for score.

simtmb

Looks amazing. Great art, and i wholly welcome another hori shooter. I better get back to turning on my 360 and start playing these Cave games again :lol

But I'm really loving the output of such STG's now, not too many, not too little. Yet i still have a boatload of them piled up that I've yet to 1CC :( Spoiled and overloaded with the recent quick one after the other 360 ports i must say. xD

luka

Loves Robotech S1
No more bumping thread without new info and/or loketest videos. :mad:

I also accept direct feed screenshots.

danmaku

If Aki Katana is Asada's baby, I wonder what is Ikeda doing at the moment. Another new game? Daifukkatsu 360 port? uhm...

biocat

mjemirzian said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/14/cave_festival

Cave Holds Festival in Akihabara Today

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/fes201008

During Famitsu's Xbox 360 anniversary event earlier this month, Asada said to expect an announcement of some form. Recently, at the event official Twitter, he wrote "There will be a title that I myself was not anticipating... probably."

Akai Katana will almost certainly be available for play at the festival.

OH! Still time for me to go today. I'm sure everything is already sold out or tickets handed out. That's how it was last time I went late, anyways.

Top Bottom