• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akame ga Kill! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sheele isn't an airhead like, say, Mako from Kill La Kill. She's clumsy but actually extremely sharp as demonstrated by her ability in battle. Sheele seemed like the soft-spoken motherly figure of the group; she would lay flowers at the graves of Tatsumi's friends, even though she never met them, and comforted him while he tried to get over the fact that there was no way to bring them back to life. Obviously there wasn't much room for character development because the author decided to kill her off quickly, but she was more than your typical dumb anime airhead trope.

I still stand by the statement that Mine is the absolute worst. I can't deal with tsundere characters for the most part, especially when they are a liability.

Everyone needs to read the manga so I can actually use arguments in this discussion.

I couldn't stand the wait for new episodes and started reading the manga, currently on chapter 22 if anyone wants to PM me for a discussion. It's best that we keep manga spoilers out of this thread.

Akame and Esdeath are by far the two best girls, can't go wrong with either of them

They're both awesome but Leone is bae

OmakeGifAnime-AkamegaKill-Episode2-LeoneMaiWaifu_zps0438a270.gif~original

I couldn't stand the wait for new episodes and started reading the manga, currently on chapter 22 if anyone wants to PM me for a discussion. It's best that we keep manga spoilers out of this thread.

They're both awesome but Leone is bae

OmakeGifAnime-AkamegaKill-Episode2-LeoneMaiWaifu_zps0438a270.gif~original

Been tempted to read ahead, but I'm gonna hold out until the anime finishes

DrkSage

Great episode only thing that bothered me was that they switched the chronological order of 2 scenes that kinda caused a blooper

Those who are reading the manga and have already read the "kill the bandits" chapter will notice. I know I did lol.

Frog-fu

Banned
Fuck it. I read it all the way up to the current chapter. Loved every minute.

I'm also very tempted to do this. I actually read up until this episode after last week. Wanted to read more but decided against it. I don't even really know why, it's not like the anime is that spectacular, and I read ahead with Attack on Titan as well and still enjoyed the shit out of the anime.

SJRB

Gold Member
Watched the first episode just now. I don't even know why, really. I was watching Lirik's livestream and he was talking about this show and how awesome it was. The only other anime I ever watched was Attack on Titan, also because he said how great it was and he was right 1000%.

I liked it, for the most part. The violence definately caught me by surprise, and I appreciate how it wastes zero time with setting up plot or characters. I'm definately going to give the rest of the episodes a shot, interested to see where this is going.

So compared to the manga, is Akame relevant? Because even though she is in the title, she doesn't do crap in the manga except for a fight here or there.

Brazil

So compared to the manga, is Akame relevant? Because even though she is in the title, she doesn't do crap in the manga except for a fight here or there.

No.

I still don't know why the series is called Akame ga Kill.

She's (one of) the protagonists of the spin-off series, though.

Gave up, can't wait for next weeks episode reading the manga

So far I've only noticed one notable scene that was skipped unless I'm forgetting something

Right after
sheele's
death in the manga there is a scene of Tatsumi and Leona doing another assassination where
the young boy wanders out wondering what happened to Daddy, and we also get a story about how Leona got her Imperial Arm
. Guess the anime deemed it too dark or maybe they're relocating it

fallagin

So just got around to checking this out.

Have to say, the way the show started out was very wonky. Like way too much silliness in the first episodes considering that the main character just saw his best friends dead/die in front of him. As it progresses, I am liking it better and I am generally glad that there is no instant win button for the main character that activates when EMOTIONS happen(as of the moment).

I have been reading the manga after I got through the current animated episodes, and gotta say, I am pretty interested in what happens next. The story is built in such a way that you are invested in what happens to the characters, and that really sets it apart from alot of anime in general.

Caught up with the manga, series is just too good. I do understand why some of you said a certain group of characters would have to be censored for the anime because
child rape
doesn't fly though they can probably gloss over that, or just leave it at butchering

Edit: Also I don't get the "Akame isn't relevant" comments... like what? I'd say everyone in this series is given a very equal and good amount of screen time. When I hear "x isn't relevant" I think something like Yamcha/Tien/Chaotsu from DBZ or half of the Kohona 11 in Naruto, character's who never freaking show up or do anything. Do you guys say Robin isn't relevant in OP because she almost never gets any one on one fights? Yes the past few chapters have largely focused on the
Jeagers and the Wild Beasts
but nobody from NR was really relevant during those chapters deliberately so.

Fuck, that last episode was so badass. Najenda entering on that beast like a mother fuckin boss. Susanoo is a badass as well, and that fight with transformed Dr. Stylish was like something out of God of War.

Fuck I'm so hyped.

Mine has gone through the stratospheres with her hype wreckage of the douche who owned Sheele's Imperial arms.

Susanoo is god damn crazy too, unfff

This show is finally getting less generic, glad I kept watching. It reminds me a little of World's Strongest Disciple Kenichi with less humor and less memorable characters.

Sketchbag

Banned
I mean she is, but ok

ahahahahahaha. No she's not.

I did a cursory look at the manga

she is completely useless. She's a trained assassin who wants to kill her sister and takes pot shots at her when she can and eats lots of snacks. she's also got a killer rack. oh and she has a sword that one shots people.

I don't think any character in this is relevant to the story besides the chick with the extendable arm, Esdeath, Emperior, and Minister.

Every one else is pointless as there isn't an actual story with these main characters. They're all slowly revealing information on the real story which is the Empire is crazy.

Sketchbag

Banned

Ladies and gentleman of the Internet, this post was written because the poster cannot refute anything said in my post. He tries to come off as witty and, well, he's still trying, but as you can see by his lack of actual refutation he cannot defend his position. One must wonder whether Akame is actually relevant if an ardent defender of such cannot defend against simple accusations. If she was more detailed he would easily list reasons why.

Ladies and gentleman of the Internet, this post was written because the poster cannot refute anything said in my post. He tries to come off as witty and, well, he's still trying, but as you can see by his lack of actual refutation he cannot defend his position. One must wonder whether Akame is actually relevant if an ardent defender of such cannot defend against simple accusations. If she was more detailed he would easily list reasons why.

Actually it was written because:

1. This is an anime thread, I'm not going to shit it up with mange spoilers even if they are tagged

2. You are a troll based on our past interactions. I refuse to make lengthy posts defending my position when you resort to strawman tactics and ignorance on the regular. Simply put, you are not worth my time.

If you claim to be caught up on the manga and think that Akame isn't relevant, you're delusional as to her role in the story or flat out lying. The series is called AKAME Ga Kill for a reason.

Go crap up somewhere else man

Dresden

I wonder if the people saying Akame isn't relevant have read the manga

I mean she is, but ok

If you claim to be caught up on the manga and claim that Akame isn't relevant, you're delusional as to her role in the story or flat out lying. The series is called AKAME Ga Kill for a reason.

If you can't be bothered to refute anything, then just don't post.

I feel like I'm missing something. I marathoned the whole manga a week ago and I don't understand Akame's relevance. She's the archetypal badass chick?

Sketchbag

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something. I marathoned the whole manga a week ago and I don't understand Akame's relevance. She's the archetypal badass chick?

I think she's more of a cover girl. It's similar to how Project K had Neko. It's very common in a lot of these types of anime. While Neko had some (I'm stretching some here) character, Akame is your basic badass hotgirl who's also got some weird cutesy things she does.

Akame has killed a lot of mooks and has partaken in plenty of fights, the problem is that she just feels like a side character compared to everyone else, since they have more personality than her. Saying she isn't relevant is a half joking jab but also snide critique at her characterization. We see her in a lot of panels, but it's like playing where's Waldo, she only says a couple of sentences and maybe some exposition on some plan but there hasn't been much to her character. The only moment that gave her some personality besides she eats a lot, is when she was serving Tatsumi some tea and was worried about everyone. We know she is trying to kill her sister, but honestly, we have seen more from Kurome's side at this point and how physically and mentally taxed she is.

But that is a drop in puddle compared to other characters, browsing around many different forums the jaegers are actually pretty liked. People like Bors have personality, conflicts, and motivation. Her sister is seen eating as much as her but she's been characterized better. We see enough about Kurome and Wave and how much they care for each other. We see how Rabac feels about NR and Najenda. Mine and Chelsea also had enough time to showcase their feelings. Esdese has been shown to care for her Jaegers and how she feels about Tatsumi. Besides Schere (for obvious reasons), you can really see what relationships the Jaegers and NR members have, but Akame is an outlier, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to think this (because I have seen people share this same opinion). Akame's relationship with anyone else in NR just seems to be, "I don't want you guys to die."

Now, I know she has that prequel manga, which I haven't read. Though honestly if most of her characterization is done in there, I feel that is a waste because the author has made other characters likeable with the time and pages in the main manga. Well anyways, it's not like anyone pretends this manga is more than dumb fun, but at the same time the author has given us plenty of reason to root for certain characters on both sides.

She really hasn't had any development in a while. I don't really see that coming in any upcoming chapters either.

Brazil

I honestly don't know what to tell that guy.

Hell, even Lubbock has done more to the plot than Akame.

Akame has killed a lot of mooks and has partaken in plenty of fights, the problem is that she just feels like a side character compared to everyone else, since they have more personality than her. Saying she isn't relevant is a half joking jab but also snide critique at her characterization. We see her in a lot of panels, but it's like playing where's Waldo, she only says a couple of sentences and maybe some exposition on some plan but there hasn't been much to her character. The only moment that gave her some personality besides she eats a lot, is when she was serving Tatsumi some tea and was worried about everyone. We know she is trying to kill her sister, but honestly, we have seen more from Kurome's side at this point and how physically and mentally taxed she is.

But that is a drop in puddle compared to other characters, browsing around many different forums the jaegers are actually pretty liked. People like Bors have personality, conflicts, and motivation. Her sister is seen eating as much as her but she's been characterized better. We see enough about Kurome and Wave and how much they care for each other. We see how Rabac feels about NR and Najenda. Mine and Chelsea also had enough time to showcase their feelings. Esdese has been shown to care for her Jaegers and how she feels about Tatsumi. Besides Schere (for obvious reasons), you can really see what relationships the Jaegers and NR members have, but Akame is an outlier, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to think this (because I have seen people share this same opinion). Akame's relationship with anyone else in NR just seems to be, "I don't want you guys to die."

Now, I know she has that prequel manga, which I haven't read. Though honestly if most of her characterization is done in there, I feel that is a waste because the author has made other characters likeable with the time and pages in the main manga. Well anyways, it's not like anyone pretends this manga is more than dumb fun, but at the same time the author has given us plenty of reason to root for certain characters on both sides.

She's sidelined in the prequel manga too. There's one guy who likes her, and that's it. She doesn't get more screen time than the other crew members.

Now, I know she has that prequel manga, which I haven't read. Though honestly if most of her characterization is done in there, I feel that is a waste because the author has made other characters likeable with the time and pages in the main manga. Well anyways, it's not like anyone pretends this manga is more than dumb fun, but at the same time the author has given us plenty of reason to root for certain characters on bother sides.

I guess when you put it like that I can get your point, I would throw out that we have had a few scenes that developed Akame like the night scene where she breaks down in front of Tatsumi. Akame's role in the story is to be Zero from MMX, the ultimate bad ass that wrecks when she needs to and will probably become more relevant when the big battles against the toughest bad guys happen.

If you can't be bothered to refute anything, then just don't post.

Fine

*MANGA SPOILERS*

- Trains Tatsumi, making him strong enough to defeat Ogre
- Saves Tatsumi from being killed by Zank the Beheader, the first fight we see between two imperial arms users
- Serves as temporary leader of Night Raid while Najenda is meeting with the Revolutionary Army
- Kills Dr. Stylish, one of the Jaegers, during his raid on their hideout
- Participates in the ambush on Kurome, being the one who primarily fights her
- Kills Enshin, a member of Wild Hunt
- Assassinates Bolic, a spy of the prime minister working to undermine the Path of Peace religious organization. It's not like we had a whole arc leading up to this moment or anything.

That good enough or is she still considered irrelevant to the story?

Sketchbag

Banned
Fine

*MANGA SPOILERS*

- Trains Tatsumi, making him strong enough to defeat Ogre
- Saves Tatsumi from being killed by Zank the Beheader, the first fight we see between two imperial arms users
- Serves as temporary leader of Night Raid while Najenda is meeting with the Revolutionary Army
- Kills Dr. Stylish, one of the Jaegers, during his raid on their hideout
- Participates in the ambush on Kurome, being the one who primarily fights her
- Kills Enshin, a member of Wild Hunt
- Assassinates Bolic, a spy of the prime minister working to undermine the Path of Peace religious organization. It's not like we had a whole arc leading up to this moment or anything.

That good enough or is she still considered irrelevant to the story?

These do not make her relevant to the story. The only two things that make her slightly relevant to the story are
temporary leader
and
training Tatsumi but she does it like once

The problem is her "big things" can be done by anyone even Lubbock. They don't explain anything about her. She's the title character and all we know is she's an Empire trained assassin who cares for her teammates and wants to kill her sister because she didn't want to join the revolutionary army. This is the extent of her character. What she does outside of this means nothing because we don't know anything about her. This is why those actions can be interchangeable by anyone else like Lubbock. That's why she's irrelevant.

These do not make her relevant to the story. The only two things that make her slightly relevant to the story are
temporary leader
and
training Tatsumi but she does it like once

The problem is her "big things" can be done by anyone even Lubbock. They don't explain anything about her. She's the title character and all we know is she's an Empire trained assassin who cares for her teammates and wants to kill her sister because she didn't want to join the revolutionary army. This is the extent of her character. What she does outside of this means nothing because we don't know anything about her. This is why those actions can be interchangeable by anyone else like Lubbock. That's why she's irrelevant.

rel·e·vant adjective \ˈre-lə-vənt\
: relating to a subject in an appropriate way
1a : having significant and demonstrable bearing on the matter at hand

So let me get this straight: Serving as a mentor to the main character, training the main character to increase their strength, saving the main character from death multiple times, introducing the viewer to imperial arms battles which is what the series revolves around, killing a jeager member who leads a raid on their hideout to prevent the group from being discovered by Esdeath, keeping Kurome from killing everyone with her corpse dolls (although Susanoo played a bigger role here), and assassinating the central figure of an entire arc apparently do not make Akame relevant to the story. Um, alright.

I don't know why people act like Akame doesn't do anything. Yeah the manga has her name on it but the author has said that the story will focus on Tatsumi, Wave, and Akame. Just because the story is primarily shown through the eyes of Tatsumi doesn't mean that every other character is irrelevant now.

And who cares if her feats can be done by everyone else in Night Raid? That's a poor argument, they're all expert assassins. The point is that the author decided to have Akame take center stage in some pretty memorable moments and she is the most prominently featured member of Night Raid after Tatsumi. Your characterization of Akame is not the extent of her character, that is just her past. We have obviously seen a bit of development go on since the beginning of the series and she's more than just a silent, unexpressive assassin. The past does not define a person and no, she is not irrelevant.

I'll be ignoring you again now. I'm willing to discuss this with anyone else who disagrees though.

Sketchbag

Banned
rel·e·vant adjective \ˈre-lə-vənt\
: relating to a subject in an appropriate way
1a : having significant and demonstrable bearing on the matter at hand

So let me get this straight: Serving as a mentor to the main character, training the main character to increase their strength, saving the main character from death multiple times, introducing the viewer to imperial arms battles which is what the series revolves around, killing a jeager member who leads a raid on their hideout to prevent the group from being discovered by Esdeath, keeping Kurome from killing everyone with her corpse dolls (although Susanoo played a bigger role here), and assassinating the central figure of an entire arc apparently do not make Akame relevant to the story. Um, alright.

I don't know why people act like Akame doesn't do anything. Yeah the manga has her name on it but the author has said that the story will focus on Tatsumi, Wave, and Akame. Just because the story is primarily shown through the eyes of Tatsumi doesn't mean that every other character is irrelevant now.

And who cares if her feats can be done by everyone else in Night Raid? That's a poor argument, they're all expert assassins. The point is that the author decided to have Akame take center stage in some pretty memorable moments and she is the most prominently featured member of Night Raid after Tatsumi. Your characterization of Akame is not the extent of her character, that is just her past. We have obviously seen a bit of development go on since the beginning of the series and she's more than just a silent, unexpressive assassin. The past does not define a person and no, she is not irrelevant.

I'll be ignoring you again now. I'm willing to discuss this with anyone else who disagrees though.

Yes. Those are some pretty basic character developments. She adds nothing to the story. She is interchangable. You could remove her a from the story right now and the plot would continue as the same. That's how you can tell if someone is relevant. She's just a badass assassin. That's her thing.

It doesn't matter what the author said. If she's irrelevant in the anime and manga based on the story being told she is irrelevant.

It does matter if feats can be performed by others. This is what makes them unique. This is what gives them character. Lubbock is a creepy womanizer. That's his thing. He is irrelevant too because the story isn't about them. We know nothing about these guys. We aren't given enough information to care about these characters. When
Sheele dies why are we supposed to care? She was a pointless character. Just another trope in the Band of Trope Assassins.
Every character besides Tatsumi and Najenda are irrelevant to the ACTUAL story of Akame Ga Kill! which is the Empire being corrupt. They need to expand more on this merry band of assassins and not have them be dogs of the Revolutionary Army. The story is handled poorly in this regard and makes them all basically irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom