• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akame ga Kill! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

If the Minister doesn't die in the end. Or they just forget about him and put that Akame vs Esdeath fight scene as the ending...lol

this so much

also if they leave Run and Leone alive too I could do ok with it
dunno about Akame and Esdese, I guess both will kill off each other on next episode

and regarding this episode
Wave and Tatsumi fighting side by side was fucking neat, hopefully they do that on the manga too and better, also nice nod to Run's background story, as for Incursio 2.0, my hype died with those ugly wings, I was hoping to see the manga version of it, oh well, at least didn't expect tatsumi's death, so it was kind of surprinsing to me, overall good episode

Wave is love. Wave is life.

DrkSage

FUCK! Everything!
giphy.gif

Couldn't watch neither of the last two episodes (22 & 23) because of finals week and final project galore and and when I finally come back im left in a WTF state

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I liked episode 23, haha. The ending caught me by surprise.

Once I accepted that the series just wouldn't adapt the manga faithfully into a second season it became easier to have fun.

docbon

I haven't read the manga, but christ, is the end of this series just a zero sum game? Something like every remarkable character dying, and then a narrator being all "And then everyone else lived happily ever after."

Ending is going down like the Ragnarök. All we need is Esdeath to turn the capital into a block of ice as some final act.

I liked episode 23, haha. The ending caught me by surprise.

Once I accepted that the series just wouldn't adapt the manga faithfully into a second season it became easier to have fun.

Is the manga good then? I accidentally came across the anime and although it's been an interesting ride, I can't say it was anything remarkable.

UberTag

Bad series but a satisfying ending.
That was about the best possible ending we could have gotten given the rushed mess that was the past handful of episodes.

Congrats to the alternate-universe Akame ga Kill survivors... Akame, Najenda, Wave and Run.
Oh and Bols' family gets to enjoy the new world, too. Good for them!

Shit. Just...shit.

I mean my god. I found the fight entertaining yes, but all that other shit that happened on the side just made no fucking sense at all.
The way they killed off Leone was just...fucking what?

To reinforce the horrible quality of this adaptation....notice the mistake here?

Just finished this show. I really like the manga, so I guess it's no surprise when I say that this series fell off a cliff in the climax.

Manga spoilers ahead. Also anime spoilers, but whatever.

Sometimes I can handle when an anime adaptation of a manga deviates from the manga, but the way it's handled here is terrible. While I guess you could argue that the majority of Akame ga Kill is just action schlock, it really turns into that after episode 19, which is where the show completely does it's own thing.

First off, no Wild Hunt. The presence of Wild Hunt demonstrates how much the capital has fallen to shit when you're letting a bunch of depraved psychopaths act as your lawmen. These were characters you wanted to see die; even the Jaegers wanted them dead. The Wild Hunt arc leads to probably the most satisfying part of the manga: when Wave beats Syura in a fight. Nope, we get none of that in the anime. Syura just shows up, and dies in his next major appearance. Lubbock's and Syura's death was also handled much better in the manga.

Like Syura, Budou's role in the anime is just as a mid-boss for another character to have their big climactic moment. He's the fucking major general, and in the anime he's not presented as a big deal. He may have beaten Tatsumi, but that means nothing because he dies in his next appearance. No big group effort to defeat him, he's just fodder for Mine who in turn was fodder for Budou? Either way, both their deaths were lame.

Also, a fucking GIANT MECH?! I don't really have a lot to say about it, but I thought the presence of what essentially was a giant mech in the show was just the peak of stupidity.

For all the faults of the show's climax, I did like the final battle between Akame and Esdeath. Esdeath's dirty fighting was enjoyable, and the fight had a satisfying end. Leone's death was probably the lamest death in the show, she should have died on top of the Prime Minister's corpse, that at least would have made more sense. The actual ending of the show was decent, I guess. Still. No Wild Hunt, no real development of the Esdeath/Mine love triangle, and bad handling of the characters. The anime got really lame in the end.

My only take away from it all was that I really hope the manga goes in a different direction than the show. So far, that appears to be the case, but the ultimate conclusion to the manga remains to be seen.

TL;DR: Anime was decent at first, but fell off a cliff at the end in a big way. Manga's much better.

Welp looking on the bright side of things, atleast akame ga kill anime has an ending compare to many animes that will never get an ending...

DrkSage

Mixed emotions right now, the fight was good but man I don't know how to feel about the rest.
The last scene of esdese hugging tatsumi before dying was emotional (to me), Leone's death was unexpected and sad (and pretty much filled with bullshit thanks to that gun that had more ammo than a Hollywood movie gun) i mean the way she went somewhere were no one could see her die was sad, I guess she really liked being cat like haha... :/

Also im glad they did a shout out to the three little girls from the manga.
The girl in pink whose name was never mentioned, Fal the girl in yellow/orange and Luna the girl in blue. Glad they're ok in the anime

Now everyone that still hasn't read the manga go read it! Now!

Like seriously go!

Ghost Nappa.
Ghost.Nappa.jpg

"I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say" -Nappa

SoldnerKei

oh welp, I got mixing feelings with this ending, the fight was ok, thou Akame's ougi kind of sucked
she just buffed herself and that's it?
I was sure that those who died would be dead by the end of the series except for
Leone, dude if you have a freaking ring that destroys teigus why didn't you use it against freakin' incursio?!! damn... Leone's death was stupid

yup, I am salty P:
oh well at least Wave
didn't die
and someone who should be death is there too lol, oh welp, at least I can keep following the manga

I thought Esdeath seemed off in her fight with Akame. Really, everything she did post-
Tatsumi's death
just felt like suicide by cop. Still, it was a pretty cool fight even though Akame's power-up made no sense.

IKizzLE

Akame's power up was the dumbest. I thought she used to take great care cleaning her blade to avoid getting pricked?

Didn't know it'd just change her into a beast....
Anime was laughable after episode 17.

Akame's power up was the dumbest. I thought she used to take great care cleaning her blade to avoid getting pricked?

Didn't know it'd just change her into a beast....
Anime was laughable after episode 17.

Yeah, I feel like there needed to be real self sacrifice tied to that trump card. I was surprised using it didn't kill her when it wore off from how they talked about the sword previously.

Brazil

Eh, that was a cool ending. Despite the obvious stupidity of some of the events, the finale worked pretty well.

Can't wait for
Tatsumi's death in the manga.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm not particularly upset by this anime ending. Akame ga Kill! is brainless fun. I would've watched the second season if it was given one, but I'm fine with this ending as well, albeit slightly depressed by the fact Akame is all alone in the end.

I knew nothing about the show other then its consistently near the top of crunchyroll's most popular and I think someone in the fall season thread said it has an original ending (which I prefer over the open ended "read the light novel!" endings we usually get even though most fans don't)

Damn, what a surprising first episode. I'm disappointed in myself for not seeing it coming despite the heavy foreshadowing. Anyway I'll be sticking with it. Show makes a good first impression. Hopefully the action scenes become more visually interesting. In the first episode they were pretty boring after something like chaika which is one of the last shows I watched any of

Q8D3vil

If i want to read the manga after watching the anime do i need to start from the beginning or can i skip few chapters ?

Korten

Banned
Just finished it. I really liked it, then again I haven't read the manga... Which I actually want to do... Is there any chapter I can begin at if I already finished the anime?

FluxWaveZ

RIP Tatsumi... you were too dumb for this world.

I came into this thread to make a post about whether or not I should watch more of the show since I'm not really feeling it after finishing episode 9, but I might continue after seeing this. Well, I guess it depends.

Straight up, Akame ga Kill is just disappointing and bland to me now. I'm not necessarily sure why, but I was expecting something like Attack on Titan in terms of subverting my expectations and straying from typical anime conventions that I don't personally jive with. The first episode really intrigued me but, following that, all I got was a fanservice riddled, very generic shounen with not much to keep my interest. When Sheele died, all I thought was "Yep... that's about right." Same for Bulat (who was the coolest character in the show, by the way).

I thought there might be something hidden from the surface because of how archetypal the characters, world, conflict and concepts (e.g. imperial weapons) seemed at first... but that's actually how they seem to be played as, without any Hunter X Hunter style twist or something. I'm wondering if this is just how it's played until the end or if there'll be some kind of shift that would make me think "oh, this is actually awesome" at some point.

Moaradin

I came into this thread to make a post about whether or not I should watch more of the show since I'm not really feeling it after finishing episode 9, but I might continue after seeing this. Well, I guess it depends.

Straight up, Akame ga Kill is just disappointing and bland to me now. I'm not necessarily sure why, but I was expecting something like Attack on Titan in terms of subverting my expectations and straying from typical anime conventions that I don't personally jive with. The first episode really intrigued me but, following that, all I got was a fanservice riddled, very generic shounen with not much to keep my interest. When Sheele died, all I thought was "Yep... that's about right." Same for Bulat (who was the coolest character in the show, by the way).

I thought there might be something hidden from the surface because of how archetypal the characters, world, conflict and concepts (e.g. imperial weapons) seemed at first... but that's actually how they seem to be played as, without any Hunter X Hunter style twist or something. I'm wondering if this is just how it's played until the end or if there'll be some kind of shift that would make me think "oh, this is actually awesome" at some point.

Na, you have pretty much seen everything the show has to offer. It never really changes up the formula. It got to the point where you knew exactly who would die well beforehand because they all had the same death flags =/

FluxWaveZ

Na, you have pretty much seen everything the show has to offer. It never really changes up the formula. It got to the point where you knew exactly who would die well beforehand because they all had the same death flags =/

Ahh, ew. Well, guess I expected as much. The premise was kind of cool (although nothing special), but this really fell completely flat for me. Might just see it through to say I did, but it doesn't sound like I'd have many good things to say about it, in the end. Thanks.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just watched the final episode, that was really cool. I'm a total anime noob so I have absolutely no window of reference outside of DBZ and Attack on Titan, but I loved this.

It started off a little slow and I had absolutely no idea what to expect, but as soon as
Esdeath
showed up I was totally sold. The fight with
Bro and his former general Liver
was super cool.

I had NO idea this show
killed off its main cast along the way, so when Sheele died I was totally shocked haha
. Some of the deaths were a bit obvious and I also thought it was pretty silly how at the end pretty much everyone had a crush on
Tatsumi
, but that's a minor complaint I guess.

I really, really liked how it showed both sides of the conflict, a lot of time was put into the Jaegers, making the fights way more intense because some of the Jaeger people were really likeable as well. I also totally loved the concept of the Imperial Relics, their power and their names. Really creative stuff.

Music was absolutely amazing throughout as well, I really hope there's a soundtrack somewhere. And the violence was awesome, really caught me by surprise. As did the sexual tone, totally didn't expect that.

One question though:
Where the fuck was Esdeath during the Emperor fight
?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just finished yesterday, fun series.
Some of the deaths were pretty lame - Leone, wtf..? - and the whole mech destroying the city thing was pretty lame.

Lelcar

I'm on episode 15 now. I didn't think that I'd like this series, but it's really good. Excellent dialogue and cinematography tricks for its genre of anime. It's no Monster, there's still a lot of tired tropes and archetypes. It's a fun anime though, in the same way that Fate/Stay is fun.

Frog-fu

Banned
Y'all should read the manga if you're jonesing for more. You could start from the beginning, but if you don't care for minor changes and details, just start reading from chapter 52.

SoldnerKei

people still reading this? last two episodes were sooooo satisfying, especially 60,
with Leone shenanigans and all P:

finally, we are done with freaking
Wild Hunt

Brazil

people still reading this? last two episodes were sooooo satisfying, especially 60,
with Leone shenanigans and all P:

finally, we are done with freaking
Wild Hunt

Dear. Fucking. God.

That was by far the
tastiest kill so far in this series.
Holy shit.

Great chapter.

Brazil

I've only watched this and haven't read it. Is the manga any different with the story or is it all the same?

The anime branches out around episode 18 and becomes a completely different story, even if a couple of elements from the latter episodes were loosely based on the manga.

If you enjoyed the anime, I definitely recommend the manga. There are some controversial scenes, but overall it's a really rewarding series. The drawings are really good, too.

Kieli

Is it normal for anime production companies to not plan things so far out that, if they sense a disturbance in the force (aka sales bomba), they can do a complete swerve with plot?

It's happened with this anime. And it happened with Gurren Lagann (still wish we had GarSimon), and it appears to have happened with Kill la Kill because heaven-forbid the second cour was so bad compared to episodes 6 - 12.

KHlover

Banned
Is it normal for anime production companies to not plan things so far out that, if they sense a disturbance in the force (aka sales bomba), they can do a complete swerve with plot?

It's happened with this anime. And it happened with Gurren Lagann (still wish we had GarSimon), and it appears to have happened with Kill la Kill because heaven-forbid the second cour was so bad compared to episodes 6 - 12.
I think Akame ga Kill was one of those cases where they simply ran our of manga to adapt because they started making the anime too early, thus were forced to either cut the story off or ad-lib it. They have chosen the second option, although the mangaka probably helped them out a bit (for example the last attack of Mine against Budou is exactly the same in both although the anime did it months before the manga).

Don't know what the deal with Kill la Kill was though. The manga started after the series finished, so that definitely wasn't an influence. Pretty funny, yet sad, to see KLK turn from a parody of Shonen tropes into a straight Shonen around that mark.

kill la kill and gurren lagann were both anime first

why don't you guys like Wild Hunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom