• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akira Toriyama has passed away

clem84

Gold Member
Man this hits hard.

ROgHepx.jpg

Felix Argyle

Neo Member
RIP. He might be gone but his work and art style will remain forever. The fact you can use A.I. and ask for a character in Akira Toriyama style is proof his legacy will be around for generations.

I hope that this is just a shitty joke, and not a post written unironically.

plip.plop

Does anyone plan on buying Sand Land to honor this genius? We should make it the biggest preorder/day-one game to honor him. I know I will.

knguyen

I remember my friend and I biking for almost 20 miles in 100 degree heat after school to the nearest book store every last Friday of the month to get the latest Dragon ball comic.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:
Damn. I don't follow it anymore, but my friends and I would all gather at our one buddy's house after school every day to catch DBZ in time. His parents had illegal satellite so it would air at like 3 or 3:30, I think. I was so obsessed at the time that I imported all the Japanese movies up to that point with english subs. It was my entry point into anime.

Also, Chrono Trigger is still the GOAT RPG.

My memories with DBZ started when Kids WB brought on the Ocean episodes 1-53 (or was it 1-54), basically up to when Goku arrived on Namek. Then it'd loop back to the beginning. They'd bring on episodes 6 AM on Saturday mornings and I'd wake up every Saturday to watch them. I dunno if 1995 was the earliest DBZ ever aired in the US, but that's when I remember first watching it (along with Ronin Warriors).

And I knew two neighborhood friends back as a kid, too. One had DB GT: Final Bout on their PS1, a few years later another had the "manga-fied" graphic novels of the latter DBZ films, like the one with Janemba. None of that stuff aired on Toonami yet and that graphic novel was in Japanese so I doubt the buddy then even knew what they were saying (I sure didn't), but it was super-cool to have what felt like "the future" way before Toonami got around to the latter DBZ films or GT.

I remember when Toonami finally began airing the "new" DBZ episodes post-Goku arriving on Namek. Was the main thing I looked forward to after school. The day I thought they would start but didn't almost broke me. Then they started and it took a long while for me to get used to the new voice cast. Krillin suddenly sounded like a chain smoker, and everyone in general sounded like they were just warming into the roles. But it all sounded pretty natural once they got to Frieza and started fighting him.

Really can't think of another shounen anime I was as obsessed with. Naruto is probably the only one that comes close but I was an older teen by that point.

nordique

Taken me a while to post my condolences.

Super sad. RIP. Unexpected and so young

His anime is basically the reason I enjoy anime today.

Top Bottom