• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akira Toriyama has passed away

Masako Nozawa was too shocked to provide a comment.

I mean for her it is probably really devastating considering how much older she is (870 and she probably thought that she would leave earlier. And that's without all those people with whom she worked or whom she knew who passed away before her.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not the best news to wake up to 😔

RIP to a legend

1wuJANJ.jpg

ReyBrujo

RIP Toriyama. I admit that I was team Dragon Ball Z, the Dragon Ball anime and manga were boring but the battle scenes were unmatched, especially for a Saint Seiya fan where most battles would finish in two or three episodes. Unfortunately it wasn't easy to watch the episodes down here in Argentina as air signals would censor episodes and cable was expensive so after finishing the Freeza arc I stopped watching.

Since this is the gaming thread, what does his passing mean to Chrono Trigger and, especially, Dragon Quest? Has he still been in charge of models or was already his studio (or a different one)? I was kind of hoping for a Chrono Trigger with hand-drawn animations :-(

begotten

It's hard to say something that hasn't been said already.

Akira Toriyama was a genius and it's impossible to weigh the impact his creative imagination has had on this world.

His art-style was incredibly attractive and recognizable - it's what made Dragon Quest games & Chrono Trigger, and made me want to play them.

Then you look at Dragon Ball and it's insanely massive influence, which HAS single-handedly propelled pop culture (especially in the West) as we see and experience it today.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If it's any small consolation to any fans of the man's work, basically every IP he's created or lent his talent to has taken on such a life of it's own that I imagine we'll get at least Dragon Ball material in the future. I take some solace at least, in the notion that Goku and Nimbus will fly on. Truly an artist that connected people.

Belthazar

I never cared much for Dragon Ball Z, but he's responsible for the art on Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger, which are two of my favorite pieces of media of all time. Definitely had an unique style and knew how to create memorable creatures. Sad news indeed.

Hudo

Well, I am sure that there are artists that can imitate his artstyle. Long live Dragonquest.
Afaik, there is already someone who draws the Dragon Ball Super manga and that guy gets really close to Toriyama's style. So I think that DQ is safe in that regard. What will be interesting is how DQ will handle the passing of Sugiyama.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Arguably the most influential writer/artist of my lifetime. Dragonball influence is literally everywhere.

God damm.

We’re never gonna see HIS version of EOZ

Never gonna see his version of the Goku vs Berus rematch

His version of Goku and Vegetas final fight

His version of the real ending of the series

Krathoon

Afaik, there is already someone who draws the Dragon Ball Super manga and that guy gets really close to Toriyama's style. So I think that DQ is safe in that regard. What will be interesting is how DQ will handle the passing of Sugiyama.
What will probably happen is that Dragonquest will slowly float away from their styles to new ones.

00_Zer0

I really love his distinct art style and all his many contributions to Manga, Anime, and the video game industry.

One of the first games I imported was a Dragonball Z SFC fighting game. I saw the game in GameFan magazine and had to have it. The game could have been shit, but as I remember it today it was amazing fun to play with friends. The game went into split screen mode when utilizing special moves, there was nothing else like it back in the day. I don't even remember the name of the game.

I never even liked the Dragonball cartoons/Anime all that much, but my friends loved it. Even still the artwork and powers on display looked amazing in the manga, anime and the games.

The next game I owned that was touched by Toriyama's artwork was Chrono Trigger. I remember buying the game at EB Games back in the day. I believe I paid $60-70 for it on day one even back then. I wish I would have kept that game. It's worth so much money now CIB in Mint/NM condition. I now own the Steam version and I hope Square will still make an "HD" sprite version of it someday similar to Octopath Traveler, or Live A Live. It would be a beautiful homage to his work.

Akira Toriyama leaves behind an amazing legacy of work that people will be touched by for years to come. Today I enjoy Dragon Ball FighterZ, and my son enjoys Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 on Switch. Even if he had very little to do with these newer games, his legacy still shines through.

New Dragon Quest and Dragonball games will never stop, and while others will do an admirable job taking up the mantle there will be only one Akira Toriyama. RIP my friend. You will be missed.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Dude I heard the news last night....I couldn't believe it. Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network was my favorite show. IT aired right after Power Rangers and I recorded both shows and still have those tapes. This one hurts, man. RIP to a legend.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hard death to take db, Dbz were significant shows during many folks childhoods, his work will always be admired.

dragon ball maestro roshi GIF

These are accomplishments in art and digital media, very well done.

Dragon Ball Eating GIF by Toei Animation

I think anyone who watched Dragon Ball, Z or Super know that Toriyama was on top of his game every episode.

dragon ball z GIF

super saiyan GIF

I can recommend DQ XI S as a good point getting into DQ. I know that DQ VIII and DQ V are also often brought up but I'd argue that they make for excellent second or third games to get into. DQ V has the coolest story, tho.

There's a DQ III: HD-2D Remake in the works as well as DQ 12.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Top Bottom