• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akira Toriyama has passed away

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
RIP. Don't even watch anime and this guy's legendary even to me. Those Chrono Trigger designs are burned into my soul.

Toots

Gold Member
loop shedding GIF

He defined my childhood like so many 90s kids.
Heart breaking news he was still young.
At least now everyone can call upon his spirit to do a father son kamehameha

Midn1ght

Growing up in the 90' Dragon Ball was everything. I would tape the episodes on VHS, buy the comic books, trade cards with friends, collect figures, etc...

Thank you for your work and may you rest in peace Mr. Toriyama.

Sentenza

End of an era.

Damn, I wasn't even that much of a DB fan (I liked Dr Slump & Arale and the early arcs of DB a lot more than what followed) and this still feels like an eulogy for a part of my childhood.

Shit news. DBZ was my life as a teenager. Used to tune in to Cartoon Network on the daily in the early - mid 2000s. If I knew I wasn't going to be home I'd set it to record to VHS. DBZ was unlike anything I'd ever watched before and was the most badass shit ever back then. Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, and Broly are some of my favourite characters of all time.

I used to play the shit out of the Budokai games. I even used to find random DBZ online games to play. I used to draw pictures of Vegito in school. Spending hours watching DBZ/Linkin Park AMVs that I downloaded from Limewire / Kazaa. Great franchise and great times.

Absolute legend. RIP.

Last edited:

Tokio Blues

Im from Argentina, there are no words that explain everything that his legacy implied for the childhood of all the children of Latin America. It is immeasurable.

May he rest in peace, he was the most influential soul in the lives of several generations.

People aren't grasping how seismic this loss is to gaming. Street Fighter II would not exist if not for Toriyama.
Interesting. I am not too clued up on how that game came about. What did Toriyama have to do with it? I can't see any mention of him on the game's wikipedia page etc.

RIP.

It was bound to happen eventually but his legacy (not only in man) and influence on the anime and manga worldwide is insane.

Also within the next couple of years I would not be surprised that within the next couple of years more authors will die of old ages and so on. Especially those who shaped the childhood of all 30+ years old.

Comandr

Was going through some shit last year and watched the entirety of Dragon Ball through Dragon Ball Z. Akira Toriyama had an incredible way of capturing life in his characters and art. From their expressions to the way they animated, he was truly a story teller. He's a man that changed anime and video games forever, and inspired so many people around the world.

Truly, may he rest in peace.

Top Bottom