• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akira Toriyama has passed away

Shakka43

Words can't even describe how big of a deal DBZ was back in the days in the Dominican Republic. Grownups paused their jobs and students skipped classes all just to see Goku turning Super Saiyan. At one point the then president of the Country (Hipolito Mejia) asked directly to the tv station running the show to add another episode to the schedule and to re-run them at night so he could watch them.

Rest in peace Mr. Toriyama, your work was a big part of our lives growing up.

Last edited:

SHA

My favorite Anime Series, R.I.P, I tried to watch many other Animes to relive the experience but all of them below his work of Art, this series is just different, there's no other Anime that took the other dimension too seriously other than DB, it's arguably one of the huge milestones in our lifetime, there were days where I think about nothing but DB literally, R.I.P.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Hm. Surprisingly this doesn't hit as hard for me as Miura's death (or, god forbid, Oda's).
I guess in my mind Toriyama's already done everything there is to do, his life's work completed. I'd actually had these kind of thoughts more recently regarding the not-late Yoshiyuki Tomino.
That said, 68 is still young enough that I wasn't expecting this headline soon. You changed the game for everyone, Toriyama. Thanks for everything through the years. Like for so many others, Dragonball was a cornerstone of my childhood.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
DBZ was my childhood.

loop shedding GIF

Goodbye, Toriyama-san.

GIF by Funimation

ahtlas7

his bio

Rip brother. Thanks for the hours and hours of fun! Also, the countless times I screamed “move this along!”

POKEYCLYDE

Dragonball Z is what started me on my art journey 25 years ago when I was 8.

RIP to an absolute legend with with one of the most well known art styles.

Kaljinyu

For me, he is to anime what Shiggy is to video games. A death that will either rock the world fundamentally, and/or come at a time when the world is too foreign to me to call myself a part of it.

What is the "Dragon Ball/Z" of today? Maybe Jujutsu Kaisen? I haven't seen a single episode of it.

Edellus

Damn, this hits hard...

Dragon Ball was such an important part of my childhood. I used to watch it everyday before going to school, watch its movies with cousins, play its games. It informed a big part of the person I want to become.

Here I go to re-watch Dragon Ball from the start. It's been a long time.

Andyliini

Wow, this was very sudden and unexpected. I have never watched Dragon Ball, but I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan, so this is indeed a big loss. This also means that Dragon Quest XII will be the first mainline game of the series without Toriyama or Sugiyama working on it, unless they already finished their work beforehand.

This is a huge loss, and he will be missed. RIP.

Hudo

Damn, this hits hard...

Dragon Ball was such an important part of my childhood. I used to watch it everyday before going to school, watch its movies with cousins, play its games. It informed a big part of the person I want to become.

Here I go to re-watch Dragon Ball from the start. It's been a long time.
Same with me. I remember coming back from school and watching Dragon Ball Z on RTLII. Good fucking times.

RagnarokIV

End of an era. Greatest ever.

Not sure how the arrangements will go but I’m guessing the flood gates will open for even more shit worse than GT and Super?

Kumomeme

Hironobu Sakaguchi reaction on twitter as per google translator:

"I believe Mr. Toriyama taught me what it means to be profesional and what work is. I respected him from the bottom of my heart. We pray for the souls from the bottom of my heart."

perhaps last published artwork by the time he still alive:

GIHmPNIWgAAjQJ5

Last edited:

Davevil

Difficult to find the words to properly remember a character who created a fabulous world shared between 3 mediums (comics/manga, videogame and anime)
RIP

his art style was so unique and prevalent in people’s lives, especially gamers. Just sort of took it for granted, only now he has died have I really thought about it and it’s left me so sad. Rest in peace.

shamoomoo

68, young still. RIP. I hope they can continue the projects he was involved in. I love his style in dragon quest games
Unless people develop life extending technology within a few years that makes a person live minimally to 136 then 68 isn't "too young." The project life expectancy in Japan for men is like 81 years and Mr. Toriyama lived 81% of that theoretical projection.

Top Bottom