• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akira Toriyama has passed away

Hudo

Hard death to take db, Dbz were significant shows during many folks childhoods, his work will always be admired.

dragon ball maestro roshi GIF

These are accomplishments in art and digital media, very well done.

Dragon Ball Eating GIF by Toei Animation

I think anyone who watched Dragon Ball, Z or Super know that Toriyama was on top of his game every episode.

dragon ball z GIF

super saiyan GIF
Ngl, I still think that DBZ has the coolest fucking fighting scenes in all of Anime. I also always liked Toryiama's mechanical designs. Bikes, cars and the like

peish

RIP, while i grew distanced on DBZ, it was part of my childhood in the 90s too. My time did not have the anime but through old school comics
O1CN01thBbuA1ia4XRMtf1I_!!326254428.jpg_Q75.jpg_.webp

It was not years later i knew of the anime, and how popular DBZ worldwide, the tributes i see today, cements Toriyama as some pioneer! Back in the 90s, we do not have fast internet or message boards, GAF wasnt even born yet i think. And yet, DBZ managed to be part of many people childhood! Respkt!

Coincidentally, i have been browsing Super content this year! I think it has been a great nostalgic ride and way better than what little i seen of GT!

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Looks like he had a head injury that ultimately became fatal.

How ironic...

main-qimg-26ecd8a9cc6caaf4b7c573f506a8fe80-pjlq

Went out the same way Goku came in.

Muffdraul

RIP to a legend. One of my favorite memories is the first time I went to Yaohan mall in LA's Little Tokyo and there was a toy store upstairs. Probably 1992. They had these little die cast metal action figures of the coolest little pissed off looking dudes with spiky hair. "DRAGON BALL Z." Hmm, I wonder what that means? That was my introduction to Akira Toriyama's iconic style, and from then on I kept noticing more and more of his designs popping up all over the place.

Last edited:

Monkfish877

Certified legend. DBZ was a massive part of my childhood in the late 90s early 2000s, I was completely obsessed with it. Watching Goku turn super Saiyan is probably the greatest moment I've had in front of a TV, thank you Akira, you will be missed.

Last edited:

SiahWester

Damn this hits hard. RIP ❤️

Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest are both a huge deal for me since childhood. What will become of them now I wonder?

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Indeed, it’s thanks to much of his work, from dragon ball to dragon quest, Chrono trigger etc that so many westerners got into Japanese pop culture. And of course his impact on Japan is even greater. Many people I’ve talked to about it here at my school I work at in Japan are in shock. A sad loss for sure.

It was his work that got a lot of us into anime. This will be felt in every country, around the world, by kids and adults that grew up watching Dragonball and playing Dragon Quest.

This man's work was basically my childhood and the reason for getting into drawing, anime, and gaming... damn... R.I.P.

DragonBall and Toriyama are Universal for many generations like mine and my son after me.... and now eternal

dragonball lozano GIF by nss sports

RIP Toriyama San

Mr Hyde

Very sad news. I wasn't much of a fan of Dragon Ball (never read it actually) but I did love his input in Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger. He had a very unique style and gave life to his characters in a way that can't really be described. He just had that gift and I don't think it can be replicated, so his passing will definitely be felt in the industry.

First time I ever heard of him was with Chrono Trigger. I remember reading a lot of magazines saying his involvement was a huge deal, being part of that "dream team" with Sakaguchi and Horii, and him being so famous for Dragon Ball. And he really did deliver in Chrono Trigger. I think his artwork really flourished in that game, the characters were so memorable and unique, you could tell they had that distinct Toriyama feel to them. I think it's a big reason that game is so universally liked, even today.

stickkidsam

My first memories of Dragon Ball were watching Cooler’s Revenge on a VHS tape from Blockbuster. That shit was so god damn cool! Stuff like that fueled my love for animation and I can’t thank Toriyama enough for that.

Rest in peace ya goofy ass procurer of panties.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Anyone else here read the manga every month?

I wonder how Toyotaro will continue the story moving forward?

We are probably only a few chapters away from the EOZ timeline.

The fandom has been waiting literally decades to see what comes after EOZ.

I hope Akira at least gave him an outline of where he wanted the story to go after the Black Frieza arc.

Last edited:

RCU005

Anyone else here read the manga every month?

I wonder how Toyotaro will continue the story moving forward?

We are probably only a few chapters away from the EOZ timeline.

The fandom has been waiting literally decades to see what comes after EOZ.

I hope Akira at least gave him an outline of where he wanted the story to go after the Black Frieza arc.

I believe Toyotaro does know how to move the story forward. Dragon Ball Super is as his, as it was Toriyama's.

I'm wondering about Dragon Quest XII. Did he get to finish all of his work there?

Last edited:
Top Bottom