• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AL governor Bentley resigns, reaches plea deal of 100 hours community service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/index.ssf/2017/04/bentley_wanted_to_get_rid_of_l.html

Bentley wanted to 'get rid' of Luther Strange, lawmaker says

Former Gov. Robert Bentley appointed Luther Strange to the U.S. Senate in February to rid the state of him because of concerns over corruption, a state lawmaker said Wednesday.

State Rep. Ed Henry, R-Hartselle, said Bentley explained the rationale behind his then yet-to-be-announced selection during a private meeting at the state capitol. Hours later, Bentley named Strange to replace the seat vacated by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

In an interview Wednesday with AL.com, Henry said Bentley told him there was a lot of corruption in the state. "(Bentley) said, most of it is in the AG's office, and Luther's the head of it, and I'm just going to appoint him and get him out of this state," Henry said.

"I said 'Are you kidding me?'" Henry said of his response to Bentley. "You're going to appoint a man that you know is corrupt to the U.S. Senate where we may not get rid of him for 30 years?'

"He said, 'Ed, I've got to get rid of him. I've got to get him out of this state or we're not going to be able to straighten anything out.'"

Strange was sent in to replace Sessions once he was idiotically allowed to become the AG.

Now Strange might have corruption issues, but it's also known that the state AG department also had an ongoing investigation on Bentley. So, perhaps he thought getting rid of him would help himself out (it did not).

But hey, Alabama gets 2 senators in Congress! Surely one of them isn't tainted with corruption, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom