• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 to be revealed this year!?

Right, they fucked Remedy up the ass by sticking with them through the agonizingly long development process, funding a promo live action mini-series (only to be totally screwed when Rockstar decided to push the RDR release date forward), letting them release the game on PC not long after its initial Xbox 360 release, and making it a part of the holiday console bundle. Besides, Remedy themselves said that they couldn't handle multiple versions at the same time, being a small team, and the game wouldn't get even that much exposure (not to mention Micorosft's funding) by launching as a PC-only title. They stuck with Microsoft for American Nightmare, so it doesn't seem like they feel they've been "fucked up the ass" after all.

A-freaking-men. The idea that Microsoft somehow fucked Remedy is hilarious.

Ahasverus

65447443.gif
Ultra lol what is that from?

If its more AW I hope they do something drastic with it.

The combat really isn't this series strength, they need to have more stuff outside of combat.

tci

I don't even know what you mean with "predicting enemies". They jump at you at the most unexpected parts in the later chapters.
I just could see in the map design where encounters would happen (almost on the exact spot). And them jumping on you was maybe interesting the first few times. Like most scary movies, AW just a lot of cheap scares as well. Too repetitive.

I know that it started out as a computer game (much like Halo!) before the moneyhats or whatever happened. I remember the tech demo videos showing off the multicore processor stuff. Didn't it feature a tornado or something?

Like many other games, it started out as a game for "PC and next gen consoles" looking for a publisher. "Moneyhats" was Remedy finding the said publisher in Microsoft.

Yes, the demo featured a tornado. It's still in the game, although not in the same sequence (obviously, since that was just a tech demo).

It would be very interesting to see what the initially envisioned open-world version would end up being like, although I doubt that game could provide the same sense of pacing and atmosphere as the final product. You should really give it a try, it's available for chips now, and it's loads of fun.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just could see in the map design where encounters would happen (almost on the exact spot). And them jumping on you was maybe interesting the first few times. Like most scary movies, AW just a lot of cheap scares as well. Too repetitive.

I dont agree. Entire game was masterfully crafted, and it guides you across really large landscape [initial open world design approach paid off, they created shitton of content]. Enemies were great.

I enjoyed the DLC a lot: The Signal is good, The Writer is phenomenal.
They pick up right where the ending left off, but... things are different.

American Nightmare is fantastic as well: The combat still has the same solid core, but is much more varied. The story is pretty neat too; Mr. Scratch is what makes it.
The new tracks by the "Old Gods" are awesome as well.

Do the DLCs take place after the game or during it?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The first Alan Wake had some good ideas but the gameplay got very repetitive.

And the separation into daylight non-action sequences followed by night action sequences could have been mixed up a lot better with more to day during the day including a little action and puzzles.

i think this is one of those games where its highly possible or infact should be that the sequel is better in everyway

S1kkZ

Do the DLCs take place after the game or during it?

all of them take place after the game. but everything you need to know to "get" the story is in the main game. the dlc just makes it a bit clearer for people that didnt bother to read the manuscripts.

Grisby

In the art book Remedy actually talks about how they switched from the open world stuff themselves because they couldn't figure out what kind of structure they wanted the game to have. That seemed to be one reason while the game was taking so long in the beginning, that they were creating all of this open world content but couldn't find a way to tie it together.

There were some strange cut missions. There was a UFO encounter in there at one point.

I liked Alan Wakes combat a lot. It felt er, 'punchy' like all of my shots had impact and I never got tired of the slow motion kills. It made me think that they still had it.

Card Boy

Banned
all of them take place after the game. but everything you need to know to "get" the story is in the main game. the dlc just makes it a bit clearer for people that didnt bother to read the manuscripts.

Does it? I played it all and felt It adds significant amounts of story not mentioned in the manuscripts and sets up American Nightmare and Alan Wake 2.

didn't he
die at the end?

No.

It would be very interesting to see what the initially envisioned open-world version would end up being like, although I doubt that game could provide the same sense of pacing and atmosphere as the final product. You should really give it a try, it's available for chips now, and it's loads of fun.

I did actually purchase it from Steam on sale and look forward to playing it.

Sentenza

Like many other games, it started out as a game for "PC and next gen consoles" looking for a publisher. "Moneyhats" was Remedy finding the said publisher in Microsoft.
This narrative ignores entirely the fact that Microsoft -you know, those who make Windows, among the other things- actively asked to Remedy to ditch the PC version.
Also, "letting them release the game on PC not long after its initial Xbox 360 release" is actually almost two years later, after the game sold quite poorly, losing for them most of its financial appeal as exclusive.

S1kkZ

Does it? I played it all and felt It adds significant amounts of story not mentioned in the manuscripts and sets up American Nightmare and Alan Wake 2.

of course it takes the story furthe (and adds something)r. but i remember a lot of people complaining that the story in aw 1 didnt make sense without the dlc.

anyway, the second dlc was fantastic. i hope they add more gameplay elements in aw 2. if alan wake is able to write/influence his story, he should get more (ingame) powers to do so.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I disagree too. Alan Wake is one of the less predictable games when it comes to enemy placement I've played. There are some scripted enemies, but a lot of the times the placement was dynamic. Even if you died and restarted the game, some enemies would appear in other places, or not appear at all.

There is nothing else really to say other than this is great news and I hope these hints really do mean Alan Wake 2 is not only in production but will be getting closer to release. I am not sure if it would be a "must have" launch title (assuming Durango releases this year) compared to something else but I am certainly excited.

Raven77

Soon-to-be-confirmed:

• Xbox 720 Launch Title
  • Multiplayer
  • Easy Mode to help new players Featuring: auto-aim, objectives highlighted with a glowing trail showing you where to go to avoid the player getting frustrated, and a skip option for sections of the game that are just too hard
  • City / Urban setting
  • Working in a squad with 2-3 NPC's

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Soon-to-be-confirmed:

• Xbox 720 Launch Title
  • Multiplayer
  • Easy Mode to help new players Featuring: auto-aim, objectives highlighted with a glowing trail showing you where to go to avoid the player getting frustrated, and a skip option for sections of the game that are just to hard
  • City / Urban setting
  • Working in a squad with 2-3 NPC's

uhhhh....

i got dibs on the anderson brothers!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Right, they fucked Remedy up the ass by sticking with them through the agonizingly long development process, funding a promo live action mini-series (only to be totally screwed when Rockstar decided to push the RDR release date forward), letting them release the game on PC not long after its initial Xbox 360 release, and making it a part of the holiday console bundle. Besides, Remedy themselves said that they couldn't handle multiple versions at the same time, being a small team, and the game wouldn't get even that much exposure (not to mention Micorosft's funding) by launching as a PC-only title. They stuck with Microsoft for American Nightmare, so it doesn't seem like they feel they've been "fucked up the ass" after all..

I wouldn't exactly label almost two years as "not long".

Glass Rebel

Technically speaking Alan Wake was phenomenal on PC. One of the prettiest and most atmospheric games in recent memory and I greatly enjoyed most of my Nightmare playthrough and I'm slowly working my way through the DLC which is refreshingly different and has a very cool narrative.

Yet I really hope they improve the combat a lot in the sequel and add some more day time activities. It's definitely not the kind of game I can play too much at a time like the Max Payne games which I finish in 2-3 sittings. I heard American Nightmare has much better combat so they probably only need to do the latter.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Technically speaking Alan Wake was phenomenal on PC. One of the prettiest and most atmospheric games in recent memory and I greatly enjoyed most of my Nightmare playthrough and I'm slowly working my way through the DLC which is refreshingly different and has a very cool narrative.

Yet I really hope they improve the combat a lot in the sequel and add some more day time activities. It's definitely not the kind of game I can play too much at a time like the Max Payne games which I finish in 2-3 sittings. I heard American Nightmare has much better combat so they probably only need to do the latter.

American Nightmare has better enemy variety but the combat itself remains unchanged.

I wouldn't exactly label almost two years as "not long".

Sorry, I was wrong, my memory of it was clouded by the fact that American Nightmare came out on PC mere months after the XBLA game. Still, it did release on PC, which is something that wouldn't have happened had Sony or Nintendo (or possibly even someone like Konami) gotten hold of the publishing rights.

Yet I really hope they improve the combat a lot in the sequel and add some more day time activities. It's definitely not the kind of game I can play too much at a time like the Max Payne games which I finish in 2-3 sittings.

I really liked the combat, I didn't find it any less repetitive than what they gave us in their Max Payne games. I finished it in just a few sittings, but I have to admit that the main driving factor has been the game's incredible atmosphere.

derFeef

Well no surprise here, they have been saying this for almost 1 year now...
But aww yeah!

edit: I see my gif put to great use ;)

TheOddOne

Alan Wake 2 being readied for Xbox 720 - rumour
That's according to the 'Insider' section of the latest issue of Xbox World, which writes: "We hear a number of Microsoft-friendly developers are hard at work on prepping next gen games as we speak. Could this be the reason why Remedy are so quiet about Alan Wake 2? (Yes)"

It adds: "Rare, Lionhead and Turn 10 all have teams in place too. Rare, we hear, are even prototyping ideas for a new 'mature title'.

Aw hell yeah.

Sojgat

American Nightmare has better enemy variety but the combat itself remains unchanged.

It's still the same basic concepts, but there are a lot of little tweaks that change the flow of combat, and really improve the way it plays. For example, Wake's flashlight only burns off the darkness when you "ADS" now. He feels more responsive to control, there's a much larger weapon variety, a stronger focus on actually shooting enemies to finish them off instead of relying on flares, and way more enemies on-screen swarming you at any one time. It makes Wake seem more powerful during combat than he was in the first game, where all the fighting became tiresome. I've played the arcade mode in American Nightmare almost endlessly this year, it's some of the best money I've ever spent on XBLA.

DocSeuss

Yup hopefully they can make the sequel how they wanted to make the first game, without MS ruining yet another franchise along with all the ones they helped ruin in the xbox 1 days.

You mean that ancient dark fantasy game?

Or you mean the open-world PC version (that's still running on the Xbox--iirc, the Digital Foundry stuff said it's rendering a ton of shit that's hidden behind mountains, those last vestiges of the open world)?

Microsoft didn't ruin Alan Wake, Remedy changed it because it doesn't make any sense to have an open world game built around chasing someone. Players would want to screw around, rather than actually hunting for Alice.

The problem with Alan Wake was that they didn't set up Alice as someone to be cared about all that much, so wanting to rescue her was never really foremost in the player's minds. This created a disconnect between audience and game. While Alan Wake is amazing, that one bit of assumed empathy really hurt player engagement.

The people who talk about how repetitive it is confuse me. The game's constantly in different locations with different environments (what you have to keep track of in a 3D space). Yes, there are trees and mountains, but they're presented in different contexts each time. The park full of bear traps is not the lumberyard, which is not the Farm, which is not the chase through the woods, etc.

I've yet to experience better third-person combat than that seen in Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

Top Bottom