• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 to be revealed this year!?

Dabanton

I don't care if it's a bad idea for them, it's a good idea for me since I hate Alan Wake with a passion.

Well it's looking like you need to go find something else to play as at this point all signs are pointing to them revealing something Alan Wake related.

Sucks for you. Good for those of us who like the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I still have faith in the team and I chalk up the negative things surrounding AW to development hell...

PC day 1 please, hopefully the users have shown purchasing power judging from the AW sales on PC.

scitek

I just want another game using the Alan Wake engine. That thing's awesome. And I like Alan Wake a lot, but I'm positive not having technological restraints like they did with the first game will allow them to create a much better game this time around.

I still have faith in the team and I chalk up the negative things surrounding AW to development hell...

Pretty much this. The team's talented as hell, but the first one had a lot of changes made because of outside factors. I think things have been going more smoothly this time.

Sojgat

I will buy anything Remedy decide to make, however this is Alan Wake 2, it's like one of the most poorly kept secrets ever. Day 1, it would be a system seller for me.

The people who talk about how repetitive it is confuse me. The game's constantly in different locations with different environments (what you have to keep track of in a 3D space). Yes, there are trees and mountains, but they're presented in different contexts each time. The park full of bear traps is not the lumberyard, which is not the Farm, which is not the chase through the woods, etc.

I've yet to experience better third-person combat than that seen in Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

I haven't played AN, but the original Alan Wake's combat is pretty tedious. Point flashlight until shadow goes away and shoot exactly 3 times with a pistol to kill regular enemies, I can't remember what is for the larger ones. Flares speed things up somewhat. If you're lucky and have a flashbang, use it. That's pretty much it. At least let me aim and shoot them in the head to make the fights go by faster, damn.

The combat soured me on the game overall.

DocSeuss

I haven't played AN, but the original Alan Wake's combat is pretty tedious. Point flashlight until shadow goes away and shoot exactly 3 times with a pistol to kill regular enemies, I can't remember what is for the larger ones. Flares speed things up somewhat. If you're lucky and have a flashbang, use it. That's pretty much it. At least let me aim and shoot them in the head to make the fights go by faster, damn.

The combat soured me on the game overall.

The game, like any good shooter, has an optimal way to play. There are other ways as well. Switch on alternate light sources, use flares and flashbangs with some strategy.

Yes, pointing a flashlight and then shooting an enemy is a thing you have to do, but... uh... you have to point and shoot at any enemy in any game out there. This isn't really all that different, beyond letting them get a bit too close for comfort.

The game's got, what... nine different enemy types, not counting bear trap type stuff? There's a surprising bit of depth to its play--moreso, I'd say, than Max Payne 2.

AW could totally do things what you saw in the tech demo, it's jsut the narrative that made the changes.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I read somewhere--I want to say Digital Foundry--that the game was quite literally doing many of the things shown in the tech demo. They basically just did things to limit the ways players could go--the world itself was still there, with the 360 still rendering it all.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
They have two teams now, right? The other working on some new IP or something?

Yes, pointing a flashlight and then shooting an enemy is a thing you have to do, but... uh... you have to point and shoot at any enemy in any game out there. This isn't really all that different, beyond letting them get a bit too close for comfort.

It was the wait after pointing. Without the luxury of a flare or flashbang it took a few seconds to even be able to shoot any enemy. That sounds like a terrible idea to me. I can understand it in the survival horror sense but, there I am carrying a God damn hunting rifle and it doesn't work until a predetermined amount of time passes. I didn't feel helpless, I felt like I was in a queue, waiting to use my gun.

I felt annoyed rather than tense, which is what I think they were going for. To what extent does AN spruce things up? I liked the game otherwise, Barry excluded

Jb

I'd say the difference is that the two steps process of flashing a guy and then shooting him that, while interesting at the beginning, gets incredibly repetitive a few hours in. Which is a shame because the shooting itself feels very impactful, but because of that two steps process I, and I would bet most other players, ended up skipping as much of the combat scenarios as possible towards the end.

If they manage to find a narrative excuse so your bullets are infused with light or whatever I'll be totally down for AW2, if not I'll probably pass.

derFeef

They recently moved too, their new office looks sweet. Also open positions were gone FAST.

2EkJZ.jpg

lcIJf.jpg

Bluth54

I love Alan Wake, one of my favorite games of the generation even with some of the issues it has. I can't wait for Alan Wake 2.

PC day 1 please, hopefully the users have shown purchasing power judging from the AW sales on PC.

If Alan Wake 2 is going to be a launch game for the next Xbox like rumored I doubt it will be on PC day one, though I'm sure Remedy will get it on PC as soon as possible.

they fixed most of the problems I had with alan wake in american nightmare. so any faith I lost in them was fully restored after playing that gem of a title.

DieH@rd

Banned
If it'll be Xbox 3 launch title it'll fail miserably in sales. Don't do this Remedy.

What was the best selling launch game for X360/PS3?

I know that Uncharted 1 was launched when there was only 6 million sold PS3s, and the game eventually reached 4.5mill mark.

Dabanton

The game, like any good shooter, has an optimal way to play. There are other ways as well. Switch on alternate light sources, use flares and flashbangs with some strategy.

The game's got, what... nine different enemy types, not counting bear trap type stuff? There's a surprising bit of depth to its play--moreso, I'd say, than Max Payne 2.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I read somewhere--I want to say Digital Foundry--that the game was quite literally doing many of the things shown in the tech demo. They basically just did things to limit the ways players could go--the world itself was still there, with the 360 still rendering it all.

Agree. people will shit on AW combat which imo was superb even if the enemy types were 'samey' each encounter with them was also different and more importantly tense as hell especially when you have them coming from various directions and realise that the best move is to try to make it to the nearest light while fighting them off. What I loved is how important the sound was in letting you know which way they were coming from.

It got quite tactical the further you got into the game. with the subtle sound alerts and the weapons meaning different approaches could be taken

Corky

If Alan Wake 2 is going to be a launch game for the next Xbox like rumored I doubt it will be on PC day one, though I'm sure Remedy will get it on PC as soon as possible.

Well I certainly hope that rumor is false, I have a strong memory reading that the partnership with MS and release of AW for the 360 was very arduous and taxing on Remedy. Why they would put themselves through that again, I don't know...

DocSeuss

I'd say the difference is that the two steps process of flashing a guy and then shooting him that, while interesting at the beginning, gets incredibly repetitive a few hours in. Which is a shame because the shooting itself feels very impactful, but because of that two steps process I, and I would bet most other players, ended up skipping as much of the combat scenarios as possible towards the end.

If they manage to find a narrative excuse so your bullets are infused with light or whatever I'll be totally down for AW2, if not I'll probably pass.

1. American Nightmare has crossbows, which penetrate darkness, and two enemy types (crowguys and splitter guys) that don't have darkshields at all.

2. Right, but that's all about crowd control. On Nightmare difficulty, using light to manage your enemies is essentially. It's not "wait to shoot" it's "use light to keep them at bay, burn the darkness away, and then kill them at the last possible second." It's fascinating and unique once you figure out how to do it.

Sojgat

It was the wait after pointing. Without the luxury of a flare or flashbang it took a few seconds to even be able to shoot any enemy. That sounds like a terrible idea to me. I can understand it in the survival horror sense but, there I am carrying a God damn hunting rifle and it doesn't work until a predetermined amount of time passes. I didn't feel helpless, I felt like I was in a queue, waiting to use my gun.

I felt annoyed rather than tense, which is what I think they were going for. To what extent does AN spruce things up? I liked the game otherwise, Barry excluded

To this extent.

derFeef

Well I certainly hope that rumor is false, I have a strong memory reading that the partnership with MS and release of AW for the 360 was very arduous and taxing on Remedy. Why they would put themselves through that again, I don't know...

That must have been a different company I think, if anything it was quite the opposit as MS could have pulled the plug in those ~10 years easily.

AN was worth it alone for sattelites crashing down while Kasabian is playing.

So awesome.

So gorgeous, the big dudes coming out of the smoke and the lighting. One can only imagine what their next game will look like.

TheDanger

Banned
Great, absolutely loved the first one. Doing all the achievements was so fun, I have yet to play American Nightmare tough.

Eideka

Banned
100% sure this will be a Durango exclusive. I don't think it will ever come to PC at all, Microsoft needs exclusives in the beginning of next-gen.

dr_rus

I know that Uncharted 1 was launched when there was only 6 million sold PS3s, and the game eventually reached 4.5mill mark.
1. Uncharted 1 wasn't a PS3 launch title, it launched in the end of 2007 while PS3 was on the market since the end of 2006.
2. Unless they plan to move Alan Wake in Uncharted direction, it won't sell as much as Uncharted anyway.
3. They own the IP. While making an exclusivity deal with MS on the launch of next generation will probably bring them a solid funding right away in the long run it'd be much wiser to just be on all platforms that there are. I actually think that Epic missed a lot of sales by not bringing Gears 2 and 3 to PC and PS3 this gen.

Hindle

Banned
Hopefully they can fulfill thier original vision for the sequel. You can tell they had restrictions with the first.

100% sure this will be a Durango exclusive. I don't think it will ever come to PC at all, Microsoft needs exclusives in the beginning of next-gen.

bad news for those on pc if this does turn out to be true, although I suspect a port a year or two down the line might take place.

anyway, as mentioned above, I hope the sequel is more in line with the open world tech demo we original saw when they unveiled the game. will it work narratively? well, that's anyone's guess, but I think it could given the events of american nightmare.

Hindle

Banned
1. Uncharted 1 wasn't a PS3 launch title, it launched in the end of 2007 while PS3 was on the market since the end of 2006.
2. Unless they plan to move Alan Wake in Uncharted direction, it won't sell as much as Uncharted anyway.
3. They own the IP. While making an exclusivity deal with MS on the launch of next generation will probably bring them a solid funding right away in the long run it'd be much wiser to just be on all platforms that there are. I actually think that Epic missed a lot of sales by not bringing Gears 2 and 3 to PC and PS3 this gen.

AW sold what 2m WW, I'd say the sequel could do UC numbers.

derFeef

Hopefully they can fulfill thier original vision for the sequel. You can tell they had restrictions with the first.

Their vision was that they did not had a vision, Os said he regrets showing the game this early as it was still in prototyping phase - this rised the whole myth about the open world game. But people love to say this again and again...

jonno394

If this remains an xbox console exclusive i'll rebuy a 360. If it is a next-box launch title, it could convince me to buy one.

Eideka

Banned
bad news for those on pc if this does turn out to be true, although I suspect a port a year or two down the line might take place.

It makes sense though, the deal can be extremely interesting for both parties. Remedy gets funding and financial back up and MS gets a great title exclusive to their machine.

The PC gamers in all this ? Bah, they won't pick up such game until it's 5 dollars on Steam anyway. I don't think Remedy will miss this audience.

Hindle

Banned
Their vision was that they did not had a vision, Os said he regrets showing the game this early as it was still in prototyping phase - this rised the whole myth about the open world game. But people love to say this again and again...

So basically the entire project was made up as they went along lol. Let's hope they learned thier lessons and they make a more organised, well made sequel.

Corky

The PC gamers in all this ? Bah, they won't pick up such game until it's 5 dollars on Steam anyway. I don't think Remedy will miss this audience.

Sarcasm?

Alan Wake for PC took the road less traveled to launch, but all those yellow bricks are made of gold from here on out. Developer Remedy, which was also the publisher of the PC version, revealed the game recouped its development and marketing expenses during "the first 48 hours" after launch on February 16.

"We are very happy with the sales and hitting #1 on Steam at launch was nothing short of amazing," Remedy's Aki Järvilehto noted on the game's forum.

Right, they fucked Remedy up the ass by sticking with them through the agonizingly long development process, funding a promo live action mini-series (only to be totally screwed when Rockstar decided to push the RDR release date forward), letting them release the game on PC not long after its initial Xbox 360 release, and making it a part of the holiday console bundle. Besides, Remedy themselves said that they couldn't handle multiple versions at the same time, being a small team, and the game wouldn't get even that much exposure (not to mention Micorosft's funding) by launching as a PC-only title. They stuck with Microsoft for American Nightmare, so it doesn't seem like they feel they've been "fucked up the ass" after all.

The only reason Alan Wake didn't launch also on PC was because MS said so because lol PC and fuck yeah comfy couches. Of course MS/Remedy couldn't drop the game, or the DLC or American Nightmare because like you said they had paid huge bucks for it.

Remedy is and has been since Death Rally my favorite finnish developer so pardon my tone.

Eideka

Banned
No, that was just me remembering my PC friends when I talked about Alan Wake.
"Oh, great I will pick this up for dirt cheap"

Huh. Such a great game that deserved to sell so much more.

Regarding the port...Are you seriously impressed that a cheap port recoups its costs ?

Top Bottom