• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 to be revealed this year!?

Glass Rebel

American Nightmare has better enemy variety but the combat itself remains unchanged.

Different enemies go a long way in improving combat so that's a good thing. I don't think they can do too much with Alan's movement (like adding shootdodge or sliding and the likes) without making it look too ridiculous.

I really liked the combat, I didn't find it any less repetitive than what they gave us in their Max Payne games. I finished it in just a few sittings, but I have to admit that the main driving factor has been the game's incredible atmosphere.

Mind you, I never called it repetitive. It's just that to me the combat in Alan Wake isn't something for long sittings. I agree that while the two are quite different in their approach Alan Wake's combat is really good as well. Both have some strategy involved but Max Payne to me is "plan and execute" while AW is often about positioning, crowd control and of course using the light to your advantage. The cool think about AW is how consistent and easy to memorize the damage they take is, which is necessary on Nightmare. People who complain about the combat probably never played at a difficulty where you need to use more than the flashlight and guns.

What makes MP more "bearable" over long stretches of time is merely the flow of the game and the player character's movement. Max Payne is relatively fast and agile and the shootouts rarely last more than a few seconds because you can deal incapacitate single enemies with relative ease. I love that one part in Max Payne 2 in the hospital where you can shootdodge down the staircase and take out several SWATs in seconds. It's very straight forward in this regard.

Alan Wake on the other hand puts you into situations where you have to fight quite a few enemies over a prolonged time. Every batch of enemies is a pocket of strategy and requires planning, adapting to the enemies, the environment etc. or even escape into the next light. All with enemies that take quite some time to dispose of if you don't have any flashbangs. There's nothing in Max Payne that compares to the Assault Taken. I'm not saying they should change it completely though; I enjoyed those sections immensely. They can change it up a little bit though with different enemy types, weapons and actually something to do when you're not fighting during the day and between encounters. I was a bit disappointed that there weren't more light based puzzles.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Regarding the port...Are you seriously impressed that a cheap port recoups its costs ?

In a day and age where obvious ports aren't even made to begin with : yes I am impressed with a two year old port recouping its dev and marketing costs within 48 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if the profit of the PC version is reaching that of the 360 version.

edit :

To add, I find your "this great game should've sold more copies" statement in conjunction with ( paraphrased ) "if it's an exclusive I'm sure Remedy won't miss the PC market" to be hilariously ironic.

Duallusion

Hope they upgrade the enemy variety and tweak the shooting mechanics so they're not completely based on darkness/light gimmick. It can't carry the whole game like, say, bullet-time, IMO. I preserved and loved the first one because of the setting, theme, story and atmosphere; shooting got boring halfway through.

Dabanton

There was a very interesting article on Alan Wake and Remedy on EDGE online last year it was very indepth delving into their working practices they also cover why they changed from fully open world to the way they did it in the final game.

What happened to the open world Alan Wake is really very simple: Remedy woke up. The realities of sandbox game design came into its dream and made the narrative untenable, and like that the dream was over.

“We could have justified many things with the fact that the universe of Alan Wake is something we see through him,” says Lehtinen. “We were thinking of speeding up time when we wanted because that’s how he experiences it; or we could do time-lapses, make him pass out for a while with a seizure if necessary. But the question became philosophical: do we want to control time and tell a story or are we making a system-based sandbox? We felt that either way we should go there in full.”

What’s more, a sandbox Bright Falls would have needed a very different population which Remedy just couldn’t achieve with its steadfast approach to drama. “Writing them as well as we would like would probably have been impossible,” accepts Lehtinen.

“Imagine, for instance, at least a couple of dozen named characters with coherent dialogue and animation that matched their occupations and daily routines, reacting and contributing to the events of the game in a fashion that was true to their character. How many animations and dialogue lines would we need, even if we could make the AI refined enough? Games like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto are the current state of the art, but they’ve developed their systems for years and even they have limitations.”

How did Microsoft take all this? Surprisingly well, apparently. “One has to remember that we announced Alan Wake early, in 2005, when the project was in the very early stages. Usually games are announced much later in development and it may seem their cycles are much shorter. Even if it probably would have been better to make that choice earlier, we did it well within preproduction. Had it been later, it would have been much harder to justify.

“The suggestion was ours and of course such changes are unnerving, but it’s much more unwise to keep pushing if the game doesn’t work the way you want. Worries faded fast because, as soon the game started taking much better shape and was able to move to full-scale production, everyone knew it had been the right choice.”

http://www.edge-online.com/features/alan-wake-remedys-american-dream/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Oh please no, the first one was fucking boring

Do something new Remedy

1 Cup of Max Payne-tight gameplay
2 Bowls of Max Payne's Narrative
2 Sticks of Alan Wake's atmosphere
a dash of Alan Wake's setting

mixed together into a new IP.

Nibel

See, this is great for example; combine the strengths of your previous games and create something new - I can live with this

Feindflug

If this things would be Alan Wake 2?

Exactly this, AW2 has the potential to be a really special game especially if it's a Durango project which means not being limited by old ass hardware.

I'd like to see them go absolutely crazy on the light/dark mechanic affecting the environments which was introduced in The Writer, also if AW PC is any indication AW2 will look pretty crazy on a next gen system.

AW2 is a system seller for me, if it's indeed a launch title I'm getting the system it will release on day one. :p

Nibel

If this things would be Alan Wake 2?

ivmnyDVKcaQZe.png

Eideka

Banned
To add, I find your "this great game should've sold more copies" statement in conjunction with ( paraphrased ) "if it's an exclusive I'm sure Remedy won't miss the PC market" to be hilariously ironic.

Well, a exclusive has a special status and MS will do their best to promote the game if it launches on their platform, hence why I think a Durango exclusive is the best thing that can happen to Alan Wake 2 sales wise.

It's safe to assume a PC version of Alan Wake 2 is not even up for consideration at this point. I doubt Remedy can refuse a juicy exclusivity (temporary perhaps) contract. I would like to play this on PC but I came to term with the fact it won't happen anytime soon.

gaming_noob

Remedy are one of the greats for in-game storytelling. This became even more obvious to me after the trainwreck of Max Payne 3.

It wasn't the scariest game as it was more a "psychological thriller" but:

Scary moment in Alan Wake

gave me chills.

In my first playthrough I KNEW I saw a figure through the window but I wasn't 100% sure...I thought it might have been the shadows cast by my flashlight playing tricks on me. I'm was pretty creeped out in that cabin afterwards.

Overdoziz

Banned
As long as they down the thriller road more instead of the action road I'm fine with a sequel. American Nightmare left a sour taste in my mouth, and not just because you practically played the game three times over in a single playthrough.

See, the gameplay in American Nightmare was awesome. I don't think they need to go back to Max Payne gameplay wise. They've been developing the 'fight with light' mechanic into something really good already.

Montresor

People calling Alan Wake shit? What is this Night Springs?

Ahah, I really loved those Night Springs episodes in Alan Wake 1, and I especially like how American Nightmare was
basically one big episode of Night Springs, narrated by the same guy

Chalk me up as someone who loves Alan Wake and loves Max Payne 3. Both are among the best games of this gen for me.

Montresor

Please not Microsoft published

And why not? I'd liken this to "Please not Nintendo published" for Bayonetta. We should be glad a game of this calibre is going to get made, regardless of the platform! And this will eventually come out on the PC anyway.

aeolist

Banned
People are lucky there was a PC release of AW at all. If Nintendo or Sony had published, it'd stay on their platform.

When the hell did I mention Sony or Nintendo?

Remedy has their roots on the PC platform and a lot of dedicated fans there. It'd be a shame if AW2 didn't come out there day 1.

Remedy has their roots on the PC platform and a lot of dedicated fans there. It'd be a shame if AW2 didn't come out there day 1.

Wasn't AW shopped around to Sony first? I seem to recall it being announced for PS3 in the beginning, I just assumed they wanted a manufacturer to publish.

*shrug*

Just release it on the PC at the same time please.

I really don't want a reason to buy a 720 so soon considering Microsoft's quality control failure with the 360.

Prine

Banned
Hoping this is MS published and on Next Xbox. So they can focus on the consoles strength, and show off another incredible looking/atmospheric world.

It was the wait after pointing. Without the luxury of a flare or flashbang it took a few seconds to even be able to shoot any enemy. That sounds like a terrible idea to me.

It's not CoD, for Christ's sake, neither it should be. The surrounding darkness adds a welcome tactical layer, and I didn't find it tedious in the slightest. It's miles better than the real tediousness of stop and aim in RE4.

I can understand it in the survival horror sense but, there I am carrying a God damn hunting rifle and it doesn't work until a predetermined amount of time passes.

It does work, but you can't hurt those enemies while they're surrounded by the dark presence since they're not entirely human.

I liked the game otherwise, Barry excluded

Okay, so your opinion can be safely ignored.

Well I certainly hope that rumor is false, I have a strong memory reading that the partnership with MS and release of AW for the 360 was very arduous and taxing on Remedy. Why they would put themselves through that again, I don't know...

Maybe you confused it with some other game. This is from an interview published just after the first DLC episode launched:

Eurogamer: Has Microsoft been in touch about doing a sequel?

Oskari Häkkinen: For both our publisher Microsoft and for Remedy, we're still in a launch phase. The game just came out. We are still monitoring the main game.

We're working hard on the DLC. We just put out the first DLC, The Signal, and The Writer is coming up. We're working full steam ahead here. We're a team of around about 50 people. We've still got plenty to do.

Being in this launch phase at the moment, we haven't had a chance to get out to Redmond, Microsoft Game Studios, and discuss anything further of how we move on. But I don't see any reason why we wouldn't continue with Microsoft with a full-blown sequel for Alan Wake.

Eideka

Banned
Just release it on the PC at the same time please

Do you think this is wise to allow a big game to release on another platform at the same time ?

MS is not that stupid, they won't allow that.

As anyone I expect the game to be announced only for the next Xbox and perhaps...two years later a PC port down the line.

aeolist

Banned
Well damn

Guess I can stop paying attention for the next few years, possibly forever if they do something like tie it to Windows 8

Erasus

Got Alan Wake thIs summer but have het to play, should have picked up Nightmare for cheap. I gotta get into it soon because I like atmospheric games

On PC off w 360 controller^^

S1kkZ

I just like good developers get their games funded and published. Buck do I care what platform it's on!

i dont care if this comes out for ps3, ps4, xbox 720, wiiu or pc exclusive. alan wake 2 is a system seller to me (unless they give it the warrior within, dead space 3, tomb raider make-over...).

2 years ago, it seemed like we would never get a sequel. so, whoever finances and/or publishes the game: thanks.

it won't be day 1 (unless they go Windows 8 only), but hopefully the lag will be more like it was for American Nightmare than like it was for Alan Wake. if it's a launch or near launch title for the next Xbox, I will definitely be getting that console at launch.

Top Bottom