• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Won't Shy Away From Elements of Body Horror, but Won't Feature Dismemberment

Draugoth

Gold Member
alan-wake-2-combat-1.jpg

This was revealed by Remedy Entertainment’s Head of VFX Johannes Richter in the latest issue of PLAY magazine (#29), where the developer mentioned that while the game won’t shy away from “body horror,” there won’t be dismemberment in the game at all.

We don’t do dismemberment…Alan Wake 2 doesn’t shy away from elements of body horror, but it’s far more focused on spine-chilling atmosphere and psychological frights.“[Dismemberment] is also really hard [to do in-engine].”

Johannes Richter, Remedy Head of VFX

Source

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hype slightly diminished. Just go all out

Still probably my GOTY though

Last edited:

Rayderism

Ooh! That blazing flashlight gore! LOL!

At least AW2 actually has gunplay. That flashlight stuff from the first one kinda irked me.

Doom85

That’s fine, ambience and suspense are generally more important to good horror than how much violence is displayed. Not saying the latter takes away from it automatically but it is definitely not required.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Something I LOVE about Remedy horror is that it's elegantly designed. They don't go for cheap gore "just because", they go for actual atmosphere, to get into your veins with real horror, they make you fear the unknown without telling you wtf is going on instead of showing you a fuck load of ketchup and morbid, angry faces and jump scares to cheap out. They're on a whole new level compared to basically anyone else in the industry.

When I was playing Control DLC, I felt completely absorbed, it was basically same as base game mechanically, the real enemy never appeared until the end, but everything was dark, you could hear it, you could see some kind of silouette and the Alan Wake darkness surrounding the place as an unknown strange agent put me on an everlasting calmed but anxious mode all the way until the end.

If I had to compare it to something, I'd say the first two silent hill games (never played 3 and 4) and Ghostwire Tokyo school sidequest are the best comparisons, though Silent Hill is pretty gory but it's far from current "horror" (jumpy?) games we see for easy clicks on Twitch these days.

Last edited:
I never expected to have dismemberment anyway but would have been good though. On a side note what game does the best dismemberment ever?

GymWolf

I never expected to have dismemberment anyway but would have been good though. On a side note what game does the best dismemberment ever?
Dead island 2 and it's not even close.

If you want dynamic cuts then mgs raiden or shadow warrior 2 (with some enemies), the latter let you dynamic cut some creatures other than humans.

But the attention to detail in di2 is unmatched, the first time you gonna hit a limb with a blunt weapon, you are gonna understand what i mean.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"“[Dismemberment] is also really hard [to do in-engine].”

this comes across as kind of strange when you have had fps games doing it for literally 20 years like soldier of fortune

i think that came came out in 2002

Came out in 2000 sequel in 2002. I remember when it first came out, along with the screams as you blew the legs off, was a bit of "shock & awe" when my friend and I first played it.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Control aside from Gameplay made me yawn.....I was like yes yes Beyond Two Souls.....yawn... can we get back to shooting. So, this better involve more intuitive storytelling.

Last edited:

mrcroket

I don't expect dsmemberment in alan wake but "is also really hard [to do in-engine].” is killing me. What the hell is wrong with the knowledge and ambition of modern developers?
wWdBwnx.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom