• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake fan buys 4,000 download codes of the original game, only to find out that none of them work

alan-wake-player-buys-4000-copies-alan-wake-2-remedy-horror-game.jpg

Speaking exclusively to PCGamesN, Alisa is an AV technician and supreme Alan Wake fan. "What I love the most about Alan Wake and Remedy games in general is their way of storytelling and their absurd attention to detail," she explains. "Alan Wake 2's world especially feels truly alive, with so much hidden lore that many players will miss. A lot of the lore is also just really weird and charming. And Sam Lake is a genius." Having spotted an unusual listing on eBay – two boxes of Alan Wake download codes for $240 – Alisa decided to give it a shot. She is now the owner of 4,000 printed, promotional cards which each contain a separate download for the original Alan Wake.
"I imagine that these download cards originate from a game store that was shut down at some point, and for one reason or another had way too many Alan Wake download cards left on their shelf," Alisa explains. "The cards came in two rectangular cardboard boxes that took a bit of damage in the month they took to arrive from the USA to Finland. Both boxes weigh around 25 kilograms each for a total of 50kg of psychological action thriller goodness."
Having tried about 20 of the cards herself, Alisa (who refers to the bulging boxes of Alan Wake download cards as an "object of power," in a loving, tweeted homage to Control) says she has contacted Microsoft customer support to see if it's possible to make any of them work. It seems however that the cards were never activated by the store that purchased them and that they are likely more than ten years old. You might be thinking 'why?' Why buy 4,000 Alan Wake download cards? Alisa has the answer.
"The short answer is 'it's funny,'" she explains. "The long answer is that I'm currently in the process of making an Alan Wake 2 fan video that is inspired by Alan Wake 2's live-action cinematics, and as soon as I saw the eBay listing for 4,000 Alan Wake download cards, I had a vision in my mind for a scene that would use an absurd amount of those things. After that's done, I'll probably cover a wall in my room with the cards, because that sounds funny. Also, I just really love Alan Wake."

calistan

Sounds like those gift cards you can buy everywhere (UK). They have cards for Xbox, Playstation, Apple, shops, restaurant chains, etc, in denominations of £20, £50, £100 or whatever. Just sitting there in plain view, unprotected.

But nobody ever steals them because even the dumbest junkie knows they're worthless until paid for and activated at the checkout.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Also...what👆they said!

KvvkRoz.gif

Digital codes are activated via POS (point of sale) then they can be used by the purchaser.

Maybe these are pack in codes for game boxes that never had the serials activated on the back end? They seem to be a self-titled super fan and I am sure they are thrilled at the haul!

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Ive certainly blown a lot of money on stupid shit but never had a bunch cardboard shipped at my house from abroad.

Bravo.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
My first thought was "4000 copies? Were they trying to make a buck off reselling them?" but seeing as she just did it for the lulz, carry on!

Shakka43

If the plan is to just cover the wall with the cards(weird flex) she hasn't really lost anything. If the codes would had been for giveaway purposes then that would be a different story.

they are basically gift cards in that they only work after they get activated at checkout. Saying "it's funny" is just her trying to save face that she had spent $240 on 2 boxes of garbage.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It seems however that the cards were never activated by the store

But nobody ever steals them because even the dumbest junkie knows they're worthless until paid for and activated at the checkout.

Digital codes are activated via POS (point of sale) then they can be used by the purchaser.

They were probably never activated in the first place.

They have to be activated at checkout

they are basically gift cards in that they only work after they get activated at checkout

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sound like a moron; wasted $240 and is now trying to act like it's no big deal.
They spent $240 to get free marketing for their fan video and their 15 minutes. An Alan Wake key still goes for $5 on CD keys, they knew that they weren't getting 4000 legit keys for $240.

Matt_Fox

To be fair if you had an unopened, ex-shop stock box of Nintendo ephemera from the 80s you'd probably be sitting on some proper $$$.

Not sure Alan Wake download cards will ever achieve big money but collectors like to collect.

Top Bottom