• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst |OT| "We stand defiant"

Voror

Super interested in this series and completely forgot GER already came out. Super unsure whether to go PS4 or Vita on this one. PS4 comes with GER for free along with probably being a tad more comfortable to control, but portability always feels like a necessity for hunting games to me with what I've been playing of MHG.

Is there cross-save between the two platforms in addition to the cross-play?

wow, the game is out of stock on amazon both day one and normal ps4 versions

btw, anyone with an amazon copy do you get GE inside the disc or as a email code?

Just got mine for PS4 (US). It's a code in there, I was actually able to enter it right into PSN and download both the other game and the DLC.

Just got mine for PS4 (US). It's a code in there, I was actually able to enter it right into PSN and download both the other game and the DLC.

Yea NA = psn code in box.

EU territories = Namco code that redeemed with your info = psn code sent and displayed

Also it has cross save and cross play.

SkyOdin

Is there a guide out there for the God Eater games? I'm starting to get a general feel for the combat, but I still have no idea what stuff like burst gauge or bond breaks or whatever are

Feel free to ask questions here, and I will try my best to answer.

To start with, bond breaks are when you do enough damage to a specific body part of a Aragami that you break it. For example, hitting a Kongou in the face will eventually break its face. If you know anything about Monster Hunter, it is the exact same thing as the wounding mechanic from that game. Most Aragami have three body parts that can be bond broken, but which exact parts those are vary wildly, even within sub-species of the same Aragami type. Successfully breaking a bond will cause a few different things to happen. Usually, a broken part will take more damage, become more vulnerable to a wider range of attack attributes, or become less effective of a weapon and thus weaken the Aragami's attacks, but there are a lot of exceptions to that trend. More importantly, breaking bonds gets you loot when the battle ends. Each broken bond gives you one extra material drop, and the "Bond Break Bonus" support skill will increase that even more. Also, you need to break a certain minimum number of bonds in a battle to get "tickets" after the battle.

As for the actual process of breaking bonds... that can get complicated. Breakable parts, like any other part of an Aragami, have their own distinct strengths and weaknesses based on the five main attack attributes in the game. These attributes are sundering, melee piercing, melee crushing, ranged piercing, and ranged crushing. Despite the similar names, it is important to note that the ranged and melee versions of those attacks are not equivalent, and some parts can be strong to melee piercing and vulnerable to ranged piercing, to use one example. Basically, you just need to learn what parts of an Aragami are breakable, and target it with the attributes that inflict the most damage. If you pull that off, the bond will break eventually. Because this process is heavily dependent on weapon attributes, which weapons you bring to a fight will determine which bonds you can easily break. Another way of looking at that is that you need to bring the right weapons in order to break particular bonds.

As a side note, the four types of elemental damage (blaze, freeze, spark, and divine), don't really factor into bond breaking or hitting enemy weakpoints very much. Using the right element will boost your overall damage, but doesn't change the effectiveness of your attacks against individual parts.

As for your question about the burst gauge, I will just link to a massive post I made in the God Eater: Ressurection thread where I explained the basics of Devour, Burst, and Aragami Bullets. However, you will have to ignore the part towards the bottom that discuss Predator Styles, since that system was unique to GE:R and is not present in GE2. God Eater 2 uses an older version of Devour and Control Units which is more limiting. However, all of the other points are still valid.

What are some good bullet recipes?
You know, I would happily answer that question, but I am still adjusting to the big differences between the GE2 bullet editor and the GE:R bullet editor. Apparently, GE:R featured a really nice iterative improvement on GE2's version of the bullet editor, so there are a lot of differences. For one, GE2 lacks some of my favorite customization pieces, like the "improved damage over distance" sniper module or the "gain power over time" orb. A bigger problem is the insane requirement of always starting with a rapid fire bullet for Assault guns or Sniper bullet for Sniper guns. But I suppose I am digressing...

Basic bullet editor advice:

1) Everything has an OP cost, so a good bullet only pays for what it needs. Unless you are fighting at really long range, paying extra for a "long" bullet is wasteful when you can just use a "short" bullet instead.
2) Complexity makes things less efficient. Damage scales down with each hit made by a single bullet program, so you want to minimize the number of hits that precede the strongest part of the attack. Unless you are using a fancy bullet delivery system, it is just more efficient to fire two bullets rather than fire a bullet that shoots twice.
3) Smaller bullets are more efficient, but bigger bullets have better DPS. If your main worry is "I want to do as much damage within 100 OP as possible," use small bullets. If you worry is "I want to deal as much damage in five seconds as possible," use big bullets.

So, here are some basic recommendations:

Sniper: Honestly, the basic M-sized sniper round of any given element is really hard to beat. Maybe attach a bomb at the end, but otherwise just go for the simple shots of your preferred element/status affliction. Sniper guns are good at using lasers in GE1/GE:R, but in GE2 they have to start with a sniper bullet, so that can't be done.

Assault: Simple is good. Keep OP costs very low, since the advantage of this weapon is its ability to shoot a lot of bullets at a rapid pace. It probably works just fine to use bullets that start with a non-elemental rapid fire bullet, and attach small bombs or point-blank shots (M or L size) to trigger upon hit. In GE:R I'd just use short-range M-sized shots and pretty much nothing else, but that's impossible here, so you have to hack it in a little.

Shotgun: Honestly, it is hard for me to recommend anything other than just using straight buckshot. That bullet is pretty damn useful, and trying to make it any fancier just makes it weaker. L-sized Radial shots are also good, but for those it might be good to mix it up a little by combining them with other bullets. For one, make sure to always use the "Follow" type Radial shots, and not the fixed. That lets you move or twist the radial shot to cover a wide area, even if just by using manual aim. It also lets you run around while firing the radial shot without walking into your own blast and knocking yourself off your feet. But another good option is to just attach the Radial to a normal long-range deco-shot and have it stick out the side at an angle, or to connect it to a spinning control unit and whirl around in place.

Blast Gun: This is the weapon that lets your real creativity come through to the front. I'm not really any good at making effective recipes, and I need to test a few more myself, but here are two I like as random suggestions.

1) Deco-Shot (short range), fired at 45 degree angle downwards.
->2) Upon hitting the ground, spawn a Control (Upwards) module.
--->3) At a 90 degree angle down, fire a long range Deco-Shot
----->4) At a 90 degree angle up, fire an LL-sized Radial shot (follow-type)

This creates a giant pillar or fire (or ice or lighting or light) that traces along the ground in a line smashing everything in its path. Not very good for hitting specific targets of a larger Aragami, but great at mowing down clusters of the small fry. It would be simpler to forego the steps needed to make it start at ground level... but it looks cooler this way so that is what I use. The cost of the deco shots is nothing compared to the cost of an LL radial module anyways.

Anotehr one is a bit cheaper and more practical for large Aragami

1) L-sized basic shot, short-ranged
->2) Upon hit, spawn an Orb (Cling type)
--->3) Upon 2, fire a short-ranged M-size Laser
--->4) 0.2 seconds after 2, fire a short ranged M-size Laser
--->5) 0.5 seconds after 2, fire a short-ranged M-size Laser

It's a sticky laser barrage. Lots of fun for all.

Yea NA = psn code in box.

EU territories = Namco code that redeemed with your info = psn code sent and displayed

Also it has cross save and cross play.

Wait, are you talking about GE2 or GE:R?

If I buy physical is GE2 also a downloadable code?

Edit: Talking about VITA version here!

Guys help me decide whether is this game right for me:

1) I have played three hunting games so far, Souls Sacrifice, Toukiden, and Freedom Wars. Which game would you say this is most similar to and as much as possible, explain how so?

2) In all three games I've always felt the controls, both movement and camera, are a bit off... kinda "stiff". I assumed this was because of the Vita's analog sticks, would playing on the PS4 improve this?

3) ...So Cold Steel 2 is coming out in a week after... >_>

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Guys help me decide whether is this game right for me:

1) I have played three hunting games so far, Souls Sacrifice, Toukiden, and Freedom Wars. Which game would you say this is most similar to and as much as possible, explain how so?

2) In all three games I've always felt the controls, both movement and camera, are a bit off... kinda "stiff". I assumed this was because of the Vita's analog sticks, would playing on the PS4 improve this?

3) ...So Cold Steel 2 is coming out in a week after... >_>

None of those honestly. The only thing that has a "slight" similarity would be Freedom Wars as part of the dev team are the people behind God Eater, though the direction of the game itself caused them not to be able to do what they were best at for the most part. The main comparison would be the fact that using the gun mode in God Eater allows for moving and shooting similar to the use of firearms in Freedom Wars. Outside of that the melee system in God Eater is far superior as the games monsters are designed for that. Where as in Freedom Wars due to most being bipedal types trying to melee feet was just a bad idea damage output was quite poor also with melee weapons making the risk vs reward not worth it when you could just create stronger firearms / latch on and point blank your target to death.

This game is its own thing. You have a melee weapon that can switch between melee and its gun form that can also have different functionality depending on the type, rapid fire, long range, close range, mortar etc. All of this you can find out for yourself if you get the game.

Both melee and ranged are balanced and optional solutions, though you can break the game with the custom bullet system that is a large part of what makes the game unique. Basically its adding effects / damage properties to the type of shots you can use with your gun form. There are some hilarious endgame combinations which you can do that totally breaks the game allowing for you to potentially one shot things or get pretty close to that with the amount of damage you can deal.

Game is narrative based so progressing through missions will progress you through the story. You will also have AI partners who are fairly good at taking care of themselves and assisting. General commands are simple also and not overly complex / worthless like Freedom Wars.

Movement is a lot faster too with the dodging and such though traversing the maps can take a while since the connectivity with the map designs at times are a little shit. One of the downsides with the game is the mapping team I would not exactly consider talented in the sense of not thinking things through when designing a layout.

Playing on the PS4 does help as you have more range of movement with the analog sticks vs the Vitas. Esp when using the gun mode. Outside of that for the standard stuff game works fine on both.

This game you do not create armor also, as outfits are just for visual appearance. For the most part survival is based off of your ability to either dodge or block.

Somebody help me out here, I'm either being dense due to jetlag or there isn't a seperatecode for the costume dlc in my copy, I can't see anything pointing to redeeming the costume dlc, I've recieved my God eater 1 code, but I don't have anything for the costume dlc. It's a UK Vita copy from Grainger games.

Saphirax

Somebody help me out here, I'm either being dense due to jetlag or there isn't a seperatecode for the costume dlc in my copy, I can't see anything pointing to redeeming the costume dlc, I've recieved my God eater 1 code, but I don't have anything for the costume dlc. It's a UK Vita copy from Grainger games.

You should get the code via email from Grainger games.

Shengar

Game is narrative based so progressing through missions will progress you through the story. You will also have AI partners who are fairly good at taking care of themselves and assisting. General commands are simple also and not overly complex / worthless like Freedom Wars.

Does the AI as good as Toukiden Kiwami?
Reki parrying projectile attack midair makes me feel worthless ;__;

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Does the AI as good as Toukiden Kiwami?
Reki parrying projectile attack midair makes me feel worthless ;__;

The AI is fairly smart, though its actually a bit of a step back from the PSP version for some reason. As the AI does stupid mistakes with pathing and other small things on occasion. Regardless of that most folks wont notice unless they were quite familiar with the PSP game and how the AI used to behave.

Though as you progress in the game you will have to pull your weight proper.

Holy crap, thanks so much for the comprehensive post! It's really helped me get a handle on the underlying systems.

Quick question re the buster sword though. I really don't understand that weapon. I'm trying to play it like a Monster Hunter style great sword, but I'm really not feeling it. Monsters move much faster than in MH, and I find the charge way too slow to deal with them. The fact that damage is so dependent on hitting weak spots is also an issue for me. I just don't find the controls as precise as MH, which means I tend to have difficulty hitting weak spots, which further wastes my charge attacks.

cheesekao

Holy crap, thanks so much for the comprehensive post! It's really helped me get a handle on the underlying systems.

Quick question re the buster sword though. I really don't understand that weapon. I'm trying to play it like a Monster Hunter style great sword, but I'm really not feeling it. Monsters move much faster than in MH, and I find the charge way too slow to deal with them. The fact that damage is so dependent on hitting weak spots is also an issue for me. I just don't find the controls as precise as MH, which means I tend to have difficulty hitting weak spots, which further wastes my charge attacks.
Based on my experience with the buster sword in the first god eater, it's easier to hit weak points by playing unlocked and not charging at all.

la_briola

Maybe this got asked before?

I bought the game (for PC) and got two keys, one is in the Steam format of AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC (5-5-5) and one is another format like this AAAA-BBBB-CCCC (4-4-4).

For what is the second and how/where do I redeem it?

I bought the game (for PC) and got two keys, one is in the Steam format of AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC (5-5-5) and one is another format like this AAAA-BBBB-CCCC (4-4-4).

The second one is for rewards points only redeemable if you have a European Bandai Namco account.

Phexe

Neo Member
FINALLY got my 'pre-order' cdkey from (CDKEYS dot COM)....not really worth the 2 day wait after all my friends have their's...

Pejo

I got the same thing, the other code was labeled something like "Namco VIP points" or something. I couldn't figure out where to redeem either. Probably on Bandai Namco's site or something, but I didn't try making an account.

I finally had some time to dig into the game last night, I like it. It's nothing like Monster Hunter, as far as the combat goes. I actually prefer Toukiden's combat from a MH-like standpoint, but this is fun too. There's not really much weight behind the attacks, and breaking monster parts feels really inconsequential and accidental a lot of the time.

I really like how the Blood Arts are handled, though. I was expecting they'd be a meter to fill then unleash a super move like in MH Generations, but it's more like augments to your standard movelist that have lots of variety. I also really like how the guns are handled. Melee builds up your ammo, then you unleash for some big burst damage (at least with the sniper). I haven't dug into crafting bullets yet, but I'll look into it tonight.

Spent some time cycling through weapons as I was progressing the story, and I think I've landed on using Spear, Sniper, and medium Shield as my default loadout.

One question I have though; for weapon augments, can you only apply them once? I put a few of them on one of my spears, and it made the spear into a +2 version, but I don't think I am able to remove them, only replace them with other augments. Actually, I just really need to look up the whole augmentation system in general, because I'm not sure why some of my weapons became +1 and +2 and others didn't.

Also, is the "Upgrade" path for a weapon more of a "turn it into a new weapon" or just increase the stats? It seems to be more of the former, but for every weapon I own, when I go into the Upgrade screen, it just shows a bunch of "???" icons for both materials and the upgrade itself.

Ephidel

Also, is the "Upgrade" path for a weapon more of a "turn it into a new weapon" or just increase the stats? It seems to be more of the former, but for every weapon I own, when I go into the Upgrade screen, it just shows a bunch of "???" icons for both materials and the upgrade itself.
The ??? is because you haven't found the items yet, so don't know what they are. Once you have more items, you'll be able to see more weapons and weapon paths.

As for the upgrades, it depends on the weapon.
Some weapons will increase stats, and after being upgraded several times will be able to be upgraded to a weapon with a new name.
Alternatively, sometimes there will be alternate lines you can go down with different elemental bonuses.

It's a bit of a boring example, but this basic knife can be upgraded to a better knife.
3PWyCRg.jpg
Then from there, there are several upgrade paths available.
You can upgrade it to a better version of the same knife (several times over)
(It keeps going, I just can't because I don't have the required mats :p)
Or you can go down a divergent line that focuses on frost, fire, or spark.
(Fire version included for reference)

And as you can see, at Rank 6 on the "original" line there's another chance to diverge into the Rank 6 versions of the elemental lines.
The ???s are the Rank 6 Frost Weapon, it doesn't show up because I haven't found the items required to make it yet.

Again, I know it was a pretty boring example but it was one of the only ones I had enough mats to create and upgrade through several stages from scratch. Most of my GE2 weps are already upgraded. And spears :p

(Sorry for the Japanese screenshots. I haven't started on the English version yet).

Pejo

The ??? is because you haven't found the items yet, so don't know what they are. Once you have more items, you'll be able to see more weapons and weapon paths.

As for the upgrades, it depends on the weapon.
Some weapons will increase stats, and after being upgraded several times will be able to be upgraded to a weapon with a new name.
Alternatively, sometimes there will be alternate lines you can go down with different elemental bonuses.

It's a bit of a boring example, but this basic knife can be upgraded to a better knife.

Then from there, there are several upgrade paths available.

You can upgrade it to a better version of the same knife (several times over)

(It keeps going, I just can't because I don't have the required mats :p)
Or you can go down a divergent line that focuses on frost, fire, or spark.

(Fire version included for reference)

And as you can see, at Rank 6 on the "original" line there's another chance to diverge into the Rank 6 versions of the elemental lines.

The ???s are the Rank 6 Frost Weapon, it doesn't show up because I haven't found the items required to make it yet.

Again, I know it was a pretty boring example but it was one of the only ones I had enough mats to create and upgrade through several stages from scratch. Most of my GE2 weps are already upgraded. And spears :p

(Sorry for the Japanese screenshots. I haven't started on the English version yet).

Very helpful, thanks for all of this! Looks like weapons progression is gated in the same way that Monster Hunter's is, in that you need specific drops to even have the options to modify/upgrade. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't unintentionally gimping myself.

Emalde

The AI is fairly smart, though its actually a bit of a step back from the PSP version for some reason. As the AI does stupid mistakes with pathing and other small things on occasion. Regardless of that most folks wont notice unless they were quite familiar with the PSP game and how the AI used to behave.

This is probably because the myriad "quirks" had to be hard-coded, whereas now they are handled with the Personal Ability system

Doombear

Oof I'm overwhelmed and not even out of Difficulty 1! I double dipped on Resurrection, but didn't get to spend much time with it and hadn't played since I played God Eater (1) on my PSP.

So... recommended time to jump into skill rebuilding? Should I wait until I have a more upgraded weapon? Just go for it? What skills are generally favored or is it preference much like MH (which I have put insanely too many hours into)?

Also, many many thanks for (both of) your extremely informative posts, SkyOdin!

So I've been playing for a few hours and noticed there's a fifth slot below my party that's filled with dots.

What does it mean exactly since for a while I've only had 4 dotted out slots to the right of the usable party member ones.

Anyone from Europe/Australia who bought the Vita version? I understand Resurrection comes bundled with it, but after I bought GE2 off PSN, GE1 didn't download and I can't find it anywhere on PSN

Remote Playing the game is something I didn't think of doing with the first game since I got it on both the Vita and PS4. However playing it this way now is kinda cool. The game is evidently a VIta game through and through, with how the UI looks, the character models, etc. EXCEPT the resolution is much higher. That translates really well to the Vita screen. Gameplay is super smooth, the controls are exactly like the Vita game... You basically play the Vita title, except with a sharper, more hi-res fidelity.

I urge those who got this game on PS4 and that have a Vita to give remote play a go to see for yourselves.

Zephyx

So I've been playing for a few hours and noticed there's a fifth slot below my party that's filled with dots.

What does it mean exactly since for a while I've only had 4 dotted out slots to the right of the usable party member ones.

You'll eventually get a support unit on the 5th slot as an enabler of other support skills. Should be available in Difficulty 3, IIRC.

I think I need a better bullet for tall Aragami. The one I created is only good for large, wide-bodied Aragami. Anyone got any ideas?

Uthred

Cant seem to get GER to launch on PC, just hangs on a black screen, updated drivers and the usual but no joy. Suppose Im stuck waiting for a patch.

Edgeward

Just combo it. Its still faster than the standard method

i know, but it's still annoying when i just want to quick devour especially when doing it on killed enemies.

Anyway, the story and characters so far is paling in comparison to 1st game. I'm already annoyed by 5/6 characters i've met so far

And the way weapon and shield types are no longer separated/broken down into type categories when going into the crafting/upgrade menus seems like it would get annoying later on.

Wait, are you talking about GE2 or GE:R?

If I buy physical is GE2 also a downloadable code?

Edit: Talking about VITA version here!

For EU - GER is digital, GE2 is on cart/ disc. GER code you get from the bamco site is a cross buy code.

For NA - GER is digital but you get the code directly for PSN in the PS4 case. GE2 is physical on ps4 but digital only on Vita.

I got it physical (EU) on both PS4 and Vita. gave away the resurrection codes as I bought that on vita in june and reviewed it on ps4.

Top Bottom