• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol vs. Marijuana: All things considered, which one is worse for you & society &

Which one is worse for you & society

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mankind?

tl;dr at the bottom.

So
I smoked a little bit and
I'm high as fuck
, and we can get into that later, but
I'm listening to Tove Lo right now, that album Queen of the Clouds Deluxe on Spotify, after being addicted to the Weeknd's music for the past, almost year.

Yes, that's right I said it. Addiction.

I've noticed people bug out sometimes about how I quote the Weeknd's lyrics a lot in my posts. The thing is, the Weeknd's music itself is like a drug to me. Nothing else sounds as good after listening to his music. The Hills, is my life. It does not define my life, but the listening to the song is literally one of my favorite fucking things to do.

and this guy was right, I listened to BBTM and was addicted, and this...this felt like even more potent Weeknd.

I like to do this, alright. I just do. There's 2 reasons why I drink alcohol:

1. I gotta get fucked up somehow (coz that's the real me) and alcohol is the only legal way to do it.

2. It's a social thing to do - people tell me to take it easy when I drink alcohol but imo if you're not getting drunk there's no point to do it. A light "buzz" isn't a reason to do it; I don't need the alcohol to fuckin' socialize, then. If we're gonna do drugs then get fucked up.

But the only thing about alcohol I can appreciate is the fact that you get intoxicated. There's fucking nothing else. And growing up Muslim I just naturally feel worse for doing it.

So I want marijuana to be for me, what alcohol is to the average person. The average man drinks, but I don't think the average man smokes weed.

I'd have such a reason to go to bars if they served marijuana there. Fuck alcohol, fuck it all the way to hell.

tl;dr

i've heard about a lot of scientists saying that marijuana is the overall less dangerous substance than alcohol. well alcohol is already legal, what sense is there in having a less dangerous drug to stay illegal? makes no sense.

there are bad things about marijuana though. kill brain cells, i heard you can get schizophrenia, smoking anything is just bad for you

and alcohol...i heard a doctor recently it's the most dangerous drug. everybody does it though so there's nothing that needs to be said about it.

what do you think?

Marijuana has not been shown to kill brain cells, the opposite is possible, in fact.

It is not even remotely close to as harmful as alcohol.

Just Google the history to see why it's illegal.

Futureman

Alcohol abuse is way worse. Marijuana abuse (when it becomes something that interferes with your life, ie job, relationship, self-worth) is largely self-inflicted (can lead to depression, introversion, lack of ambition) while alcohol abuse is typically characterized by outward harm (violence, high risk behavior, impaired driving, etc.).

Both are fine if enjoyed responsibly. That's hard for some people though.

Marijuana because i don't have proponents of alcohol telling me all the time that the other one is worse for society.

The fact is that alcohol consumption is much higher and therefore harder to compare. I also like that there is more or less accurate and immediate test for alcohol intoxication.

Health wise alcohol is worse, but is not any worse than, say, refined sugar from a public health perspective.

SaganIsGOAT

One is a neurotoxin responsible for countless deaths related to poisoning, organ damage, irresponsible behavior and so on, the other is weed.

Arc

Put the science aside and look at it this way:

One makes people fight and the other makes everyone best friends.

manakel

Alcohol.

That being said, I had an awful experience with weed before where I won't even think to touch it again. But as others have said, one kills brain cells, destroys your liver, causes countless numbers of accidents. Weed does none of that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Alcohol is much worse imo. Didn't this whole thing come about because of the war between the marijuana plant and nylon during WWII?

Daingurse

I think alcohol is way worse than weed, especially in my personal experience. I honestly don't like drinking to get fucked up anymore. I drink much more casually now, a beer every now and then kind of thing. Drinking has too many physical downsides for me, that are not a problem with weed at all. I much prefer the weed high over being fucked up as well. It's really lost it's appeal for me.

I think weed is less detrimental than alcohol to society by a long shot as well. Alcohol is a pretty hard drug IMO. You can't become physically addicted to cannabis in the same you can with alcohol. You ain't going to die from lack of weed.

Kettch

Alcohol is among the most harmful drugs out there, while marijuana is on the lower end. They aren't even worth comparing.

I drink and don't smoke but Alcohol is far more harmful to both your body and society. You'd have to be crazy to deny this

Weed pretty much is only bad to people who have certain mental illnesses that are made worse by weed (even this isn't physically harmful and probably treatable)

I still think alcohol is the better drug, in moderation.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, you can very moderately intake alcohol, not so much weed. Though there's considerably less harm from weed compared to alcohol.

That said, you being that much into the Weeknd I think you need some professional medical help... that's some scary shit.

Futureman

Also as per the OP I don't think I'd go to a "weed bar." I like to smoke and draw and work on stuff. I don't find it very social.

A lot more people probably smoke than you realize. If you could buy it like beer there would be almost no distinction. I think most people who drink now would get high from time to time at least.

Fugu

Alcohol. Indeed, the harmfulness of alcohol is far more comparable to hard drugs than it is to weed.

Those who point out the difference in rates of consumption are missing the point: We are talking about harm relative to consumption. In absolute terms, alcohol pulls way ahead, but this metric is useless for marijuanna as it doesn't even register on such a graph.

Alcohol is among the most harmful drugs out there, while marijuana is on the lower end. They aren't even worth comparing.

There's literally only two drugs that you can die from withdrawal

Alcohol and Benzodiazepines. Both are legal

Heroin withdrawl is glamorized as deadly but it can't kill you

Alcohol abuse has the same effects as crystal meth on the body. Smoking too much weed just makes you wake up too late and eat every damn thing.

Bad Trip

Banned
This is not debatable , alcohol is worse by miles . You could take thc and cbd in endless non smokable forms to get high without causing any damage to your body , marijuana in its most purest form is harmless , in its worst form your burning plant and inhaling smoke into your lungs . Its so incredible to me that people think marijuana and alcohol are at all equatable . Marijuana and drugs like ayahuasca , psilocybin , and acid are not at all relatable to alcohol or hard drugs like cocain , meth, heroin etc.

Nafai1123

Banned
Alcohol by every metric is worse for you. The only benefit alcohol has over weed is it's the better drug for helping you get laid.

Xe4

Banned
Alchol is more harmful, by far. Not to say marijuana is not bad, but alchol does really horrible things to our society.

Fugu

I drink and don't smoke but Alcohol is far more harmful to both your body and society. You'd have to be crazy to deny this

Weed pretty much is only bad to people who have certain mental illnesses that are made worse by weed (even his isn't physically harmful and probably treatable)

I still think alcohol is the better drug, in moderation.
I think it's interesting that people often mention the potential for weed to exacerbate certain mental illnesses but they don't feel inclined to do the same about alcohol. I'm not talking about you specifically - I do the same - I just think it's interesting that that's the big scary bullet point for a lot of people when it is arguably much more true and much more devestating when it comes to booze.

Xiaoki

Alcohol.

That being said, I had an awful experience with weed before where I won't even think to touch it again. But as others have said, one kills brain cells, destroys your liver, causes countless numbers of accidents. Weed does none of that.
Alcohol killing brain cells is a myth.

Alcohol can damage the ends of neurons and that will prevent communication between brain cells.

If you drank enough alcohol to actually kill brain cells you would be long dead.

Dice//

Banned
tumblr_mdwftyZySZ1r2y7mzo1_500.jpg

Prefer to be with and prefer dealing with high people.

As someone who had a mother who killed herself slowly over 3 years of excessive and near constant drinking of alcohol, alcohol is way, way worse. Alcohol is way more dangerous, can lead to direct destruction of organs in your body and if you're not careful, literally die of alcohol poisoning in one night.

Alcohol.

sikkinixx

booze is much worse to deal with at a societal level and a health concern. Though frankly I don't like being around people who do too much of either.

If one wants to believe that we live in a society that is designed to control you, then Marijuana is to be considered the more dangerous to society. Alcohol makes you stupid, we have only been conditioned to believe that weed makes you stupid. From my own personal experience, I believe I have a heightened sense of awareness to the things around me be it the people I'm around, the words I'm reading, the things I'm hearing, the things I see.

Of course with anything too much or too little and your not getting the big picture.

I think it's interesting that people often mention the potential for weed to exacerbate certain mental illnesses but they don't feel inclined to do the same about alcohol. I'm not talking about you specifically - I do the same - I just think it's interesting that that's the big scary bullet point for a lot of people when it is arguably much more true and much more devestating when it comes to booze.
I actually was going to point that out!

But the difference is that alcohol typically, while under the influence supresses said illness and symptoms while weed can exacerbate them while high.

Alcohol tends to exacerbate them, after the high.

I think this is the major reason why we tend not to think of it as directly causing it, even though it does!

And weed is more prone to increase "scarier" mental illnesses like paranoia, psychosis, and schizophrenia. While alcohol is typically (not always) "normal" disorders like depression and anxiety

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
It's not even a debate, my man.

Alcohol is by far - by every measure - a more dangerous, addictive, damaging (physically and socially) drug.

One of my best friends from high school drank himself into an early grave at the age of 28. His physical addiction to alcohol was undeniable and the destruction it caused his body and mind was one of the hardest things i've ever been witness too.

On the other hand - one time my girlfriend ate all the cookies and when I only found out after pouring a huge fucking glass of milk. this is just about the worse thing that can happen to you via marijuana.

TheFatOne

Alcohol is worse and it's not even remotely close. The fact that marijuana is a schedule 1 drug in the U.S. is a joke. Marijuana is really only illegal due to political reasons.

Alcohol is worse, no question. And I say that as someone who likes alcohol more than weed.

Weed should be legalized no question - but regulated at the same level as alcohol. Which is to say not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom