• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol vs. Marijuana: All things considered, which one is worse for you & society &

Which one is worse for you & society

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alcohol, big time.
But it's socially accepted. People will condemn you for smoking weed, while it's better in every way, asside from the social aspect.

I like alcohol too, by the way.

BokehKing

Banned
Do u play cs? Someone's got yer handle.
Not surprising, bokeh is simply a photography term for the blurry background in a picture when the subject is in focus. I only recently changed my GAF name to that recently.

Holy shit dude, as someone that thinks people should be able to use the stuff recreationally on their off time, like after work is over, how the fuck did you manage this routine for 8 years?
It was more of less 18 years, vaping just made it easier, my friends who only smoke weed put me to shame though, when I tapped out for the night they would still be smoking keef blunts.

I spent a lot of money, that's how I managed. Function wise, I never really got "high" I stopped getting high at like 23, after that Everytime I smoked it was more like a "at peace" feeling, I never smoked to get the stereotypical "stoned"

It never effected work, as soon as I touched a steering wheel all effects would basically vanish like I just touched a save space in a RPG.

I miss marijuana for one thing and one thing only.
Helped with my stomach man, apparently I have IBS, and I've had it for a long time, and I just never noticed because the marijuana eased my symptoms to the point to where it' was non existent.

Now that I don't smoke? It comes right back and it's worse than ever. If it ever gets approved medicinally for IBS out here in NY, I would have to find a way to battle the anxiety affects of it. But now I just vape, like e cigarette vape, and I'm content with that. I refuse to buy weed illegally. I find it funny though that I wanted weed legal for so long and now that I feel like we are almost there....:I don't even smoke it anymore.

Jebusman

Banned
Fucking hell, there's a lot of people here that just assume alcohol will just cause you to go out fighting or, failing that, just kill you on the spot.

What the hell?

I mean, no?

There are however people pointing out that between alcohol and marijuana, one of those things has a much, much higher potential to bring out the very things you just listed.

Alcohol is more of a menace to society than virtually any other drug out there, only by virtue of how passively we've accepted it into our lives.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Drink is worse in every way.

But weed can be a very dodgy thing to mess with for a lot of people. It's not a sweet harmless thing that has no adverse side effects. I was a heavy smoker for many years and it's done obvious, lasting damage to my head. I was always a socially anxious person and prone to depression though, so I should never have touched the stuff in the first place.

Clean and sober is the way to be, imo. Any drug use is just fucking you up somehow, physically or mentally. It's damn hard though, so I don't judge people for their vices.

King_Moc

Banned
I mean, no?

There are however people pointing out that between alcohol and marijuana, one of those things has a much, much higher potential to bring out the very things you just listed.

Alcohol is more of a menace to society than virtually any other drug out there, only by virtue of how passively we've accepted it into our lives.

Nice wording, but that's not how other people have been putting it.

Drink is worse in every way.

But weed can be a very dodgy thing to mess with for a lot of people. It's not a sweet harmless thing that has no adverse side effects. I was a heavy smoker for many years and it's done obvious, lasting damage to my head. I was always a socially anxious person and prone to depression though, so I should never have touched the stuff in the first place.

Clean and sober is the way to be, imo. Any drug use is just fucking you up somehow, physically or mentally. It's damn hard though, so I don't judge people for their vices.

Most weeds smokers around here seem pretty convinced that it's entirely safe. Everyone I know that smoked it long term, stopped it and say they have memory problems from it.

They're both bad but to way different degrees.
Dope doesn't fill up emergency rooms on Saturday night.
Dope doesn't get the cops called round after a domestic.
Dope doesn't give you cirrhosis of the liver.

TheFatOne

Nice wording, but that's not how other people have been putting it.

Most weeds smokers around here seem pretty convinced that it's entirely safe. Everyone I know that smoked it long term, stopped it and say they have memory problems from it.

lol anecdotal evidence.

Audioboxer

Alcohol, given the evidence and studies.

But which one is worse for me? Marijuana. Makes me paranoid, feel uncomfortable and I don't enjoy it. Alcohol I can have some fun with in moderation.

Can't argue with science though.

Still the larger problem for anything like this is how people abuse drugs and/or how addiction can affect them. To ever discredit an addict because "lol bro how can you not handle that harmless drug" is to be disingenuous and a rather uncaring asshole yourself. When people get addicted to things and/or have their life impacted in a way they don't deem positive they need help not trolled and put down for not being "bad ass" enough.

Unfortunately you see that kind of behaviour all the time, and in my life so far a ton more of it comes from smokers ~ As in I rarely see alcoholics/alcohol lovers going postal in topics where people say alcohol is impacting them. Where as someone posts about weed and 300 people come out in arms about how it's legal and they can smoke 10 hours everyday with no problems. In other words weed culture or whatever the tumblr teens call it these days.

Legal (rightfully legal) things still cause problems for many people. Addiction is an illness, potentially regardless of what it is you are addicted to.

CHC

Definitely alcohol. That said I don't even smoke weed and I do prefer having a couple drinks anyway. I like the taste and the neatness of it - not really a fan of smoke in general (though I know there are other ways to get high from marijuana). Either way though I'm not that into getting "altered" - I drink very lightly for the most part.

But yeah alcohol is just literal poison and it makes people behave very badly in large doses. Weed has virtually no negative effects on health and in the worst cases just makes people act kinda annoying.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone I know that smoked it long term, stopped it and say they have memory problems from it.

That's one of the problems I have now, my memory is ridiculously bad. I have to write down every appointment, date, password, booking...literally every piece of information I need to function in my life, because I will forget.

I'm 35 years old.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Still the larger problem for anything like this is how people abuse drugs and/or how addiction can affect them. To ever discredit an addict because "lol bro how can you not handle that harmless drug" is to be disingenuous and a rather uncaring asshole yourself. When people get addicted to things and/or have their life impacted in a way they don't deem positive they need help not trolled and put down for not being "bad ass" enough.

Very true, and very well said.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm not really sure the angle you're going with here.

Are you ACTUALLY trying to argue that weed is more harmful than alcohol?

Or are you just trying to be a dick?

Why am I being a dick? There's people here claiming there are no harmful effects, as in every weed thread.

Jebusman

Banned
Why am I being a dick? There's people here claiming there are no harmful effects, as in every weed thread.

Your attitude so far has been "lol why are people saying alcohol can kill EVERYTHING can kill if you have enough of it" which is a position no one has taken or is arguing (and is also missing the point)

Then try to submit anecdotal evidence as to why weed is bad, which is also something no one is really arguing against, simply that anecdotal evidence isn't really a solid foundation for an argument.

Memory problems, while being a bad thing no doubt, still seem relatively minor compared to the 10K+ deaths a year alcohol is responsible for in it's various ways (liver failure, drunk driving deaths, etc). And that's in the US alone.

So again, I'm asking you.

Which is worse, weed or alcohol?

Yeah, must not be a thing then.

As a person from the Netherlands (where a lot of people smoke weed) and as someone who smoked weed for years (and still do sometimes) i haven't heard of such a thing.
It's more a side effect of alcohol if anything.

One thing though with smoking weed: if you smoke all the time you can become a bit paranoid.

And, i think it can also bring things like psychosis rise to the surface sooner than it normally would. It doesn't cause it, but it can trigger it to surface sooner than it would without smoking weed. But that's based on converstations with weedsmokers and myself, so that could also be anecdotal.

There aren't that many harmful effects from smoking weed. Sure, if you're irresponsible, you will become inactive and just become a lazy (satisfied) bum. And when you mix weed with tabacco, you can get the harmful affects of smoking (but that's not the weed).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a pretty heavy drinker and don't smoke, but it's alcohol easily. More addictive, causes more behavioral problems and violence and much worse for the body than weed.

Weed just doesn't do much for me, I don't like smoking or the way it makes me feel, and it's illegal where I live so there's the risks inherent with that. So I stick with beer and wine. Need to cut back though as I'm getting older and starting to put some fat on the mid section for the first time (I'm naturally thin build/high metabolism type).

TheFatOne

So why not look into it instead of disregarding anything that doesn't conform to your view of the world?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-scary-way-long-term-marijuana-use-can-impact-memory_us_56b0d7b9e4b0a1b96203bf2e

Had you actually posted this first, and then made that statement it would have been perfectly reasonable. Pointing to anecdotal evidence, and then working from that assumption is disingenuous. Also, one study doesn't mean much. It shows only that this area needs more research into this question. There is no question that long term heavy use will have negative side effects. Long term heavy use of any drug is going to have consequences. Exactly what those are we do not know simply because there hasn't been enough research into it due to the legality of marijuana.

I don't see a post in the thread where someone is saying that marijuana has no harmful effects. If someone is then simply quote the post, and start a discussion about it.

Greddleok

Check out David Nutt.

He was the science advisor for Tony Blair's Labour government, but was fired after he said that horse riding was more dangerous than ecstasy.

Some of the research his group has done is on how different drugs are harmful to the individual, society and how addictive they are. Really interesting stuff.

King_Moc

Banned
Your attitude so far has been "lol why are people saying alcohol can kill EVERYTHING can kill if you have enough of it" which is a position no one has taken or is arguing (and is also missing the point)

Then try to submit anecdotal evidence as to why weed is bad, which is also something no one is really arguing against, simply that anecdotal evidence isn't really a solid foundation for an argument.

Memory problems, while being a bad thing no doubt, still seem relatively minor compared to the 10K+ deaths a year alcohol is responsible for in it's various ways (liver failure, drunk driving deaths, etc).

So again, I'm asking you.

Which is worse, weed or alcohol?

I just get annoyed at the culture of misinformation that surrounds weed smoking.

I don't know which is worse, I quite happily do both (though i only smoke weed very occasionally after it made me literally pass out from a panic attack). I've never gotten violent while drunk, and I've been drinking regularly for 20 years. Obviously, plenty of other people do, but I think this is more to do with those people just being arseholes.

People that drink enough to get cirrhosis...well that has to be a mental health issue (like any psychological addiction), and alcohol is just their goto fix for it. It can't be especially fun to drink enough to do that.

Alcohol is pure fucking evil.

*sigh* of course it is...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
imo if you're not getting drunk there's no point to do it. A light "buzz" isn't a reason to do it; I don't need the alcohol to fuckin' socialize, then. If we're gonna do drugs then get fucked up.

Well that's certainly the wrong way to go about things. Have a nice dinner with a glass of wine and that's all you need. You have it for the flavour and because it often goes well with what you're having.

Alcohol is pure fucking evil.
lol

Alcohol easily. This shouldnt even be a debate...

I have smoked(dabbed and eat edibles all the time) weed regularly for 10 plus years now and it's never effected my way of life. I finished college, have a pretty good paying job and am getting married in October. Never had any bad effects from it and growing up here in Southern California it's pretty much accepted socialy everywhere.

My uncle was a heavy drinker for almost 15 years and while he has been sober for 10 plus years now you can really tell the effects drinking had on his body and brain. It completely changed him for the worse.

Obviously this is one example but alcohol is far and away one of the most dangerous drugs out there on today's market even if it's legal. I consume alcohol but not as much as I did on my early 20's but never did I go over board with it.

Over the long term I felt the effects far more with weed, paranoia and depression crept up on me and took a long time to fade, I believe it changed me for the worse.

Booze just gives me a shitty headache.

Alcohol is fun, but if it crosses a certain line for most folks, it's downhill from there. Of course, if you're in the company of trusted, responsible friends and family, you can have a great time while you're tipsy. Been there, done that, didn't drive. Apparently I danced too.

I've recently started taking advantage of edibles to chill out at night while playing Dark Souls with my people instead of, say, having a beer. A big ass water bottle, a little bowl of popcorn, and some videogames. My friends might also get high too....and bear in mind that this is all after the kids are down to sleep.

We usually call it a night at 10pm. Chilled out, feeling good, made progress since we're trying to take it NG+7.

Anyway, between the two, I've found that edibles, for me, are a much better time. I'm not smoking it so there's no odor or harm to my lungs, there's no paranoia...'bout the only thing that happens to me is a good nights rest.

I feel like alcohol has done more damage to society, and I know for sure that too much of the drink will kill you.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...Or are you just trying to be a dick?

Just want to say, there's absolutely no need for this at all. The person you're asking is quite clearly not.

While I definitely agree that alcohol is the worse drug, I also feel there can be a lot of misinformation that surrounds discussions about the use of marijuana. There are people who will claim using it has no negative effects, and that's simply not true.

There's nothing wrong with talking about this issue and like I said, there's no need to attack someone who brings it up.

I use marijuana for legitimate medical purposes, and always use it responsibly, which is the key.

I also love beer and bourbon, but if I could only have one, it'd be cannabis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom