• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol vs. Marijuana: All things considered, which one is worse for you & society &

Which one is worse for you & society

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is more dangerous "for you" is fairly subjective depending on your use of both substances. FOr people who are predispoosed to be alcoholics, alcohol is certainly more dangerous, but for people who consume recommended or safe levels of either, both are innocuous. As somebody who is pro-marijuana I'm tired of the stupid argument "smoking a joint every day is just like having a glass of wine with dinner," because it isn't. Most people who have a glass of wine with dinner aren't becoming intoxicated, where as most people who smoke every day are becoming intoxicated by that. If you're having a bottle of wine with dinner every night, then I think it's a more applicable analogy. But very few "defenders" of alcohol would ever defend the consumption of a bottle of wine every day. But, of course, this is completely subjective. There are people who are relatively unaffected by both (me, it takes me a lot of smoking to get high; it takes me a lot of drinking to get properly drunk).

Which one is more damaging for society is alcohol.

Though, that alcohol has been an acceptable beverage for tens of thousands of years in virtually every human civilization known to man, has created an environment where alcohol consumption is a reliably known thing. It's created reliable ways of producing, distributing, consuming, and enforcing the consumption... We have reliable techniques for testing someone's alcohol toxicity, we generally have a reliable scale to know when somebody has had too much to drink to do things that they shouldn't do after drinking. We don't yet have that for marijuana.

Something that I like more about drinking than I do about smoking is that I have a known quantity for what's going to get me properly drunk or what's going to affect me in 2 or 3 hours. This isn't the case with weed for me, where variance in THC levels can differ based on the strain, how it's prepared, and how it's ingested. Now, as marijuana becomes more ubiquitous, you'll see a normalization and reduction in variances, but it will still take decades to get this to a reliable level that's widely known and measurable.

An issue with marijuana that's going to be a problem for legalization is the edibles market. Somebody in the industry needs to step in and make clear labeling and clearly expressed amounts in each serving. This is currently a wild west market, and while some stores are properly labelling, it's not universal and it needs to be. In comparison to alcohol, this would be like going to one store and buying a budweiser that has 4.3% alcohol, and then going to another store and buying a similarly labeled budweiser that has 18% alcohol. Because alcohol has been culturally acceptable for all of human history in every major civilization the world over, it is now a known quantity. Most beers are between 4% and 7%, specialty beers may be higher, but everything is adjusted for it. Most bars that serve high ABV beers are specialty bars, and they serve them in specialty glasses, and the price jumps up. Drinking 4 budweisers has a predictable effect on most people who have drank budweiser before, where as even seasoned weed smokers can get knocked off their tits with a single edible which may not be clearly labeled or distributed, and because the effects set in at a varying rate, it's difficult to assess the affects. My wife smokes mostly every day, but we had weed gummies a month ago and she got properly wrecked because the edible isn't a known quantity. Further, alcohol has a distinct taste and beers or drinks with higher alcohol levels are fairly easy for most people to assess immediately... When I have a strong drink at a bar, I go "Ugh... that's fucking all booze," or "Jesus, this is strong." Our palettes are equipped to recognize high alcohol levels almost instantly.

As marijuana becomes legalized in more states, I am hoping a big player in the industry steps up normalizing the edible market, because the more that it becomes available, you're going to hear several high profile cases and it's going to create a stigma of danger for the drug that could continue to keep it illegal. The Maureen Dowd article is a good example of this, and legalization advocates shouldn't just brush it off, because it'll be a problem for the legalization movement.

One causes cancer. (totally legal)
One helps cancer patients. (illegal)

Seems backwards, IMO.

Your point isn't lost, but FYI, Alcohol is not totally legal. It is a regulated substance that has federal restrictions on its creation, distribution, advertising, sale, and consumption.

Alcohol is worse, but I smoked weed for a long time and I know of a few casualties so it is not entirely without its own problems. I have two friends who ended up needing psychiatric treatment as a result of smoking way too much.

Alcohol is worse, but I smoked weed for a long time and I know of a few casualties so it is not entirely without its own problems. I have two friends who ended up needing psychiatric treatment as a result of smoking way too much.

Weed does not cause these psychiatric conditions though. Weed can help them to surface sooner than normal.

I work on a med/surg floor in a busy hospital that gets a lot of end stage alcoholic cirrhosis cases. Ugly way to go.

Never had someone on my floor because of too much weed.

burnjanso

Both are bad stuff when abused. Just like smoking, using inhalants etc, there should be strict regulation so that they are not abused. All of the things fore mentioned are something I would not offer to my family members nor recommend that they use for recreation.

An issue with marijuana that's going to be a problem for legalization is the edibles market. Somebody in the industry needs to step in and make clear labeling and clearly expressed amounts in each serving. This is currently a wild west market, and while some stores are properly labelling, it's not universal and it needs to be. In comparison to alcohol, this would be like going to one store and buying a budweiser that has 4.3% alcohol, and then going to another store and buying a similarly labeled budweiser that has 18% alcohol.

Actually, it's not like that at all. That's a terrible comparison. Risk of alcohol poisoning alone makes your beer example a far more dangerous proposition. So, no, edibles varying in strength is nothing like unexpectedly buying a beer that has four times the amount of alcohol volume that you expect. This is not to say that edibles shouldn't be properly measured and labeled (they should be), but your analogy makes no sense.

Also, your comment about alcohol not being "totally legal" is intentionally obtuse. From a legal standpoint, its regulation is not dissimilar to driving a car or, hell, buying medical cannabis in a state in which it is legal. It's unusual to split hairs about whether alcohol is "totally legal" when the operative question is not the extent of alcohol's legality in and of itself, but the extent of its legality compared to cannabis. The poster you were responding to was making a salient point about the double standard in scheduling marijuana when a substance that is objectively more harmful can be legally consumed. His point was not that alcohol consumption or distribution is free and clear of all restriction or regulation, but that its legal treatment compared to marijuana reeks of double standard.

Weed does not cause these psychiatric conditions though. Weed can help them to surface sooner than normal.

They might not surface at all if they hadn't smoked. I've seen and experienced first hand the bad side of weed. I used to preach about how weed was a wonder drug and how it was harmless, but I've seen with my own eyes and experienced how it can change someone if abused.

Raiden

Banned
It's not even a debate, my man.

Alcohol is by far - by every measure - a more dangerous, addictive, damaging (physically and socially) drug.

One of my best friends from high school drank himself into an early grave at the age of 28. His physical addiction to alcohol was undeniable and the destruction it caused his body and mind was one of the hardest things i've ever been witness too.

On the other hand - one time my girlfriend ate all the cookies and when I only found out after pouring a huge fucking glass of milk. this is just about the worse thing that can happen to you via marijuana.

Tell that to my friend currently in hhe psych ward suffering from psychosis and schizofrenia. I agree that alcohol is the most harmful of the two. But posts like these pretending weed is some holy water ... Jezus.

Calderc

Tell that to my friend currently in hhe psych ward suffering from psychosis and schizofrenia. I agree that alcohol is the most harmful of the two. But posts like these pretending weed is some holy water ... Jezus.

I'm really sorry for your friend but the schizophrenia was most certainly not caused by weed.

Zeke

My uncle died from cirrhosis of the liver and I have one cousin that has it as well. My wife's grandfather died from the same thing and my aunt was killed by a drunk driver my senior year in high school dropping her granddaughter off at school. I've pretty much given up booze I'd much rather smoke a bowl in the evening to relax. The fact that it helps with my back and knee pain is icing on the cake. I also like that I can smoke be high for a bit then sober back up and the worse side effect is wanting a nap or munchies.

Grinchy

Banned
They're very very close to developing a reliable breathalyzer for marijuana.

I hope this happens as soon as possible. I'm all for legalizing weed, but people who drive around stoned are complete cunts. They're no different than the alcoholic morons who think they drive better when they're a little buzzed.

I hope this happens as soon as possible. I'm all for legalizing weed, but people who drive around stoned are complete cunts. They're no different than the alcoholic morons who think they drive better when they're a little buzzed.

They do roadside swabs in the UK now. Tolerance is pretty much zero so if you're a regular weed smoker you pretty much can't drive legally at all, given how long it stays in the system.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yea, you're going to have to expand on that. Yes, google is my friend, but I don't know your particular position on it. So come on in and drop a bomb and then leave to the ether like you do.

90666-dont-snort-marijuana-meme-Tayl-iqPR.jpeg

becky

Futureman

I'm really sorry for your friend but the schizophrenia was most certainly not caused by weed.

People who have severe mental health issues can literally be sent over the edge from consuming caffeine. While it's fine to note that weed can be trouble for people that struggle with mental health I don't think it's particularly relevant to a conversation about whether weed and alcohol are generally safe or not.

Budi

Alcohol is worse, not just to inviduals health consuming either one of these drugs. But also the accidents and violence it causes. 80% of homicides in Finland are done under the influence of alcohol. 70% of violent assaults are done under the influence of alcohol.

Personally I got rid of alcohol with weed. I realized that I don't really like myself when drunk, I became more agressive and quite dumb. I did things I regretted. It was hard for me to drink responsibly. This doesn't happen with weed.

Grinchy

Banned
They do roadside swabs in the UK now. Tolerance is pretty much zero so if you're a regular weed smoker you pretty much can't drive legally at all, given how long it stays in the system.

Well that's silly to do it if you can't get a reliable reading that the person is currently under the influence.

That's why I hate drug testing for jobs. The only people they're catching are people who smoked weed weeks ago or people who couldn't go 2 days without their cocaine.

Well that's silly to do it if you can't get a reliable reading that the person is currently under the influence.

That's why I hate drug testing for jobs. The only people they're catching are people who smoke weed or people who couldn't go 2 days without their cocaine.

It is really shitty how the actual life harming drugs are out of your system so quick (within 48h), but mere weed stays with you for what seems an eternity. Not a problem with jobs that use the shitty swabs, but pee tests are just awful.

I'm gunna say weed because it smells like shit and lingers for fucking ever. Like, alcohol can smell pretty bad too, but it has a small radius of smelling.

Noirulus

This is a tough question. Personally, this is how I feel but most may not agree.

Which one is worse for me? Marijuana. During my brief stint with it, I became lazy and overly anxious. Drinking is an occasional social thing for me and it never affected me mentally like weed did.

Which one is worse for society? Hard call. I think a lot of people will cite how Alcohol kills due to alcoholism and drunk driving, but Alcohol is a lot more commonplace in society than weed is. The easiest thing for people to turn to when they're stuck in a hard place is alcohol.

Weed on the other hand I think grows negligence in a lot (not all) of users that slow them/prevent them from developing themselves and their lives. That's bad for society IMO.

SummitAve

Banned
Alcohol. After having worked at a liquor store in a downtown area and seeing it destroy lives on an hourly basis, it's not even close.

Disxo

Thor 2: The Dark World killed my parents. Why Obama has not outlawed it is beyond me.

Tried that thing 5 times and It hasnt killed me yet.

Alcohol is the worst Imo, I see its effects daily on my friends, luckily, they figured how harmful it is, things are getting better.

Alcohol has ruined one of my old friends and killed another. Story time children, I had a friend back in college that got run over by a drunk driver. He was on the sidewalk, and he was one of the best people I knew. I'm still not over his death, it's been about 5 years now and I'm still emotionally broken from it.

So I choose not to drink, and that is a social no no. Everyone hears you say that they either go "religion?" or they go "I'll buy you a shot". One of those people is now a alcoholic, I fucking detest alcohol.

Weed on the other hand.... are you shitting me. The worst thing you have to put up with is smell and people laughing and eating your chips.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Alcohol has done more than enough damage in my family - violence, injury by drunk driving, some other disgusting shit.
Can't say weed alone has caused any family problems besides someone not getting a job because of positive drug test.

Concept17

Everything in moderation is really just the key here. I imagine statistics would tell you alcohol is far worse than marijuana however.

It's easily alcohol.

I always laugh at the old notion that weed was a "gateway drug". Whenever I was blasted, I didn't want to do other drugs. F that. I just wanted to meld into the couch and eat. Alcohol on the other hand...that's a mf'n gateway drug. While drunk, it makes me way more susceptible to using other stuff if available.

alcohol is pretty damn bad for society, but it's also so damn amazing that i don't want it ever be made illegal again here in the US.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Weed helps me curb my alcohol problem tremendously. Nobody ever found me passed out in the middle of the street covered in scrapes and bruises because I smoked too much weed.

Alcohol is more dangerous by a significant magnitude and anyone who thinks it's up for debate at this point may need to have their head examined. The most dangerous thing about Marijuana is what happens if the law catches you with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom