• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol vs. Marijuana: All things considered, which one is worse for you & society &

Which one is worse for you & society

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
Feel free to show me your source material, so I can point out he errors more directly.
Streppel, M. T., Ocké, M. C., Boshuizen, H. C., Kok, F. J., & Kromhout, D. (2009). Long-term wine consumption is related to cardiovascular mortality and life expectancy independently of moderate alcohol intake: the Zutphen Study. Journal of epidemiology and community health, 63(7), 534-540.

Volkow, N. D., Baler, R. D., Compton, W. M., & Weiss, S. R. (2014). Adverse health effects of marijuana use. New England Journal of Medicine, 370(23), 2219-2227.

Streppel, M. T., Ocké, M. C., Boshuizen, H. C., Kok, F. J., & Kromhout, D. (2009). Long-term wine consumption is related to cardiovascular mortality and life expectancy independently of moderate alcohol intake: the Zutphen Study. Journal of epidemiology and community health, 63(7), 534-540.

Volkow, N. D., Baler, R. D., Compton, W. M., & Weiss, S. R. (2014). Adverse health effects of marijuana use. New England Journal of Medicine, 370(23), 2219-2227.

i'm not sure if that proves anything. i'd me more than happy to look up the excerpts you're referencing but since i can't do that right now can you like, take pictures of them or something

Alcohol in small quantities is good for you. Marijuana in small quantities is bad for you. Alcohol in large quantities is very bad for you. Marijuana in large quantities is bad for you.

Nearly everyone who smokes weed daily has problems. Only a very small amount of people who drink daily has problems.

So, it depends.

Isn't it that a specific type of alcohol in low quantities can be good for you, rather than just a blanket statement?

Also, do you have links to some evidence that suggests "nearly everyone who smokes weed daily has problems"?

spekkeh

Banned
Isn't it that a specific type of alcohol in low quantities can be good for you, rather than just a blanket statement?
Well alcohol is alcohol, OP should then have been more specific. But no actually they also found similar, though less profound, effects for moderate beer intake. There are I believe four causes hypothesized to lead to a benefit of moderate daily wine consumption. Two of which also apply to beer.

- Alcohol makes the blood thinner, leading to less chance of a heart attack
- Alcohol drinkers more easily forget about work stress
- Wine drinkers are often more social and therefore help each other out
- Wine has a substance that strengthens arteries.

I believe they actually found that even drinking as much as five units of alcohol a day leads to lower mortality than complete abstinence. Though they don't advertise this fact because people would then start to rationalize that maybe ten is also good. In the end lots of people die from cardiovascular diseases, and not that many from liver cirrhosis.

I don't think hard liquor is particularly good for you though.

Also, do you have links to some evidence that suggests "nearly everyone who smokes weed daily has problems"?
Well obviously this is strongly culturally determined, but sure:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306460307000913

Edit: this one actually doesn't really find an effect, so can be seen as a counterargument, my bad. I had another one but can't find it now. It's mostly anecdotal though. Most people don't smoke a blunt next to their steak dinner, whereas a glass of wine is super common. People who do feel the need to get stoned daily quite probably are fleeing from something, whereas drinking a glass of wine is done for the taste, and not the inebriation per se.

I don't usually like bumping my own threads with a double post but I saw something on television that caught my eye, so I looked at this

They say: “Would you rather I drink alcohol? Weed is so much safer.”
You could say: “Honestly, I don’t want you doing anything that can harm you. I’m interested in knowing why you think weed is safer than alcohol.”

as if it is implying that this isn't true?

http://drugfree.org/article/how-to-talk-about-marijuana/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom