• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol vs. Marijuana: All things considered, which one is worse for you & society &

Which one is worse for you & society

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's certainly the wrong way to go about things. Have a nice dinner with a glass of wine and that's all you need. You have it for the flavour and because it often goes well with what you're having.
fuck that shit. if i'm gonna do a drug while i'm eating my dinner why the fuck am i going to take it easy? it's a drug, either get intoxicated or don't do the drug at all.

Greddleok

I would say Alcohol.

When Marijuana is illegal, it probably has a much more significantly negative effect on society than it if was legal.

pxdcA.gif
That's not a healthy attitude at all.
this thread is about you (every individual), society, and mankind.

not me.

It's easy because FUCK drunk drivers. One of the worse news to read about. I was rear-ended badly while waiting to turn into a subdivision. Rolled into the shoulder from the inertia and called the police for a report for insurance. Other driver eventually walked over and even said sorry. I could smell the stench of alcohol emanating from him and we're in mid-day. Told him the police has been called so we can work it out through the report and insurance. He freaked out. Police came, gave my report, told me the other may have been drinking and said I can go if my car was still operable. Picked up my report and that man was over the limit and had no driver's license. Hoped my car's ass that day saved someone from an even worse collision with that drunk fuck.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...this thread is about you (every individual), society, and mankind.

not me.[/QUOTE]

This thread is about everyone except you?

Nah, your "get fucking wasted or there's no point" attitude is quite rightly raising eyebrows because people know that's a very unhealthy, and frequently dangerous, way to approach drug use.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
OP, the answer seems pretty obvious, though I don't want to minimize the harm of irresponsible marijuana use. Regardless, based on your responses and proclivity to getting 'fucked up', sounds like you've got some personal demons to wrestle with in your future.

This thread is about everyone except you?

Nah, your "get fucking wasted or there's no point" attitude is quite rightly raising eyebrows because people know that's a very unhealthy, and frequently dangerous, way to approach drug use.
i said in the OP that if i had it my way, i would not consume alcohol at all. but it is the only LEGAL way to get fucked up. so if i'm going to do it, i'm going to get fucked up. otherwise there's no point.
OP, the answer seems pretty obvious, though I don't want to minimize the harm of irresponsible marijuana use. Regardless, based on your responses and proclivity to getting 'fucked up', sounds like you've got some personal demons to wrestle with in your future.
i do. without making things too personal, i have issues.

spookyfish

Came for Thor: The Dark World.

Was not disappointed.

And probably alcohol. So many more deaths, just in drunken driving alone, can be attributed to it.

Calderc

i said in the OP that if i had it my way, i would not consume alcohol at all. but it is the only LEGAL way to get fucked up. so if i'm going to do it, i'm going to get fucked up. otherwise there's no point.
i do. without making things too personal, i have issues.

There is a point. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Obviously marijuana is better for society. Drunk driving, alcohol abuse and related violence is a pox. Legalize that dank shit and collect some fat stacks of tax.

Personally, however, I will never use marijuana. I really hate the smell of marijuana being smoked and I'm not a big fan of the idea of being in an "altered state." I do drink alcohol, but only occasionally and mainly for the taste...I have a very high tolerance and have only been close to drunk once (which took an embarrassingly huge amount of alcohol in a very short period of time) and it wasn't enjoyable in the slightest.

The data we have dictates which one is wreaking much more havoc, and yet weed is a schedule 1 drug, right there with Heroin.

History tells us why it was categorized as such a thing in the first thing in the first place(take a guess), and apparently as long as it's still disproportional putting minorities through the ringers, we aren't getting the proper damn fix.

Alcohol hands down, and anyone who says otherwise is pretty much a crack pot.

Weed certainly has its problems. Schizophrenia is a concern, and despite not having a chemical addiction to it, there certainly is a psychological dependency that can occur.

Alcohol is categorically worse though. Actually addictive and a laundry list of health issues that, at this point, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to have not heard.

One of Marijuana's symptoms is Increased music appreciation, and can be beneficial for certain problems given the right strand.

Alcohol just gives me a headache and gets me all depressed. Makes people crazy and I'd rather deal with burnt out stoners than someone throwing up all over my house.

There is a point. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
No, not for me. There is no point. If I am going to do the drug, I want to feel the effects the way I want to. If it's weak, then I'll feel like it's a waste trying to get intoxicated. So if I am going to get intoxicated, I have to really feel it.

Piggus

My grandpa is using concentrated marijuana drops to boost his appetite after he had lost an unhealthy amount of weight following surgery. It helps a lot of people.

Alcohol-related deaths are are in the tens of thousands per year.

Calderc

No, not for me. There is no point. If I am going to do the drug, I want to feel the effects the way I want to. If it's weak, then I'll feel like it's a waste trying to get intoxicated. So if I am going to get intoxicated, I have to really feel it.

And that's exactly why that's a really unhealthy and problematic way of looking at things.

Shadybiz

As someone with a heck of a lot of experience with both, it's virtually impossible to NOT say alcohol. So many problems caused by it, in my family alone.

The data we have dictates which one is wreaking much more havoc, and yet weed is a schedule 2 drug, right there with Heroin.

It's actually schedule 1, which is fucking bonkers.

redlegs87

Alcohol for sure is worse than weed for most people. Personally I don't do either and don't condone the use of either. Though if I had to someone I know use one it'd be weed.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Smoke weed everyday

Alcohol, but cannabis' benignity is definitely embellished by its more vocal proponents. It should certainly be used in caution and has the potential to cause serious harm if abused (I've seen anecdotal as well as empirical evidence of this).

In fact, I would say that there are a number of illegal drugs which are wrongly considered to be "harder" than cannabis which are less dangerous, most notably MDMA and (especially) LSD and Mushrooms although, again, they should also be used with caution and moderation if at all.

Flo_Evans

How is this even a question.

I know someone doing 5 years for vehicular manslaughter because of alcohol.

I also know people doing similar time. Not for hurting anyone, but for selling a plant.

I use weed to help with the enormous pain consuming alcohol causes my body. I try and avoid it as much as possible, it is way to easy to over indulge.

I'm sorry but by ALL objective measures the answer is alcohol. There should be precisely 0 people who pick marijuana. Why are there more than 0 people who picked marijuana? That's wrong! You guys picked the wrong thing!

Eusis

When Thor 2 is showing up in every poll it cements itself as a legit addiction. Get off of that crap before you need to be committed.

neptunes

Can weed awaken dormant schizophrenia? I've only seen it happen twice to people I know, but is it common?

Not sure if the two people I know smoked weed that was laced with something else.

BokehKing

Banned
Alcohol, but cannabis' benignity is definitely embellished by its more vocal proponents. It should certainly be used in caution and has the potential to cause serious harm if abused (I've seen anecdotal as well as empirical evidence of this).

In fact, I would say that there are a number of illegal drugs which are wrongly considered to be "harder" than cannabis which are less dangerous, most notably MDMA and (especially) LSD and Mushrooms although, again, they should also be used with caution and moderation if at all.
Yeah well marijuana never made me play freeze tag in the middle of a busy intersection with friends or break into an elementary school at night to steal ice cream from the cafeteria, or run back and forth across a school roof top while being chased by the cops

but LSD sure did, the 90's were fun

Derwind

Alcohol is definitely worse. My Dad has is on dialysis and has a shitty liver from years of Alcoholism.

An uncle of mine who was also an alcoholic is living with severe Epilepsy and the only thing that works to keep him from having bad seizures is Weed.

Weed isn't perfect(has its own set of problems from habitual use) and as someone who was raised Muslim(but no longer religious), I know where you're coming from but even still, Marijuana is by far a lesser evil.

Alcohol is definitely worse. My Dad has is on dialysis and has a shitty liver from years of Alcoholism.

An uncle of mine who was also an alcoholic is living with severe Epilepsy and the only thing that works to keep him from having bad seizures is Weed.

Weed isn't perfect(has its own set of problems from habitual use) and as someone who was raised Muslim(but no longer religious), I know where you're coming from but even still, Marijuana is by far a lesser evil.
are you still muslim or do you really mean that you are just not really as religious as you were?

We have never had weed as widely available as alcohol or a user base anywhere near as large. If it were to scale to the same user base we don't know what is going to happen. My guess is probably not much except for a fast rise in related driving issues.

As a side example, no one really knew what a smart phone in everyone's pocket would do until everyone had one. How the population adapts and changes is more the worry. Alcohol, as bad as it is, is relatively harmless given the user base is something like 50 % of the population. For every addict there are something like 75 people who do just fine.

That said, alchohol is worse to the individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom