• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

Wamb0wneD

Hey I'm new and finally got an account after years and years of lurking. Just wanted to say that anybody who thinks Prime 2 is the best Prime is my friend. :D I will never understand how anybody can say it's worse than 3.
On topic: I'm really looking forward to E3 and hope i will not be disappointed. Let's see if Mr. Brandon contributes to something exciting. :)
Who am i kidding it's Retro. No matter what, it's going to be exciting.

Yeah a lot of gaffers lost credibility with the NX rumors and even the Switch press conference in Japan. Sad times for supposed insiders.

The way to understand most insiders (though this applies more to the likes of Rogers/LKD/Robertson than to people I've seen here) is this: they actually do have a handful of sources several links down the chain, for instance in NoE marketing or certain third parties, but exceptionally poor analytical/inferential skills and no journalistic training in good judgement on what and whether or not to publish. They see signs, misread them, and present their findings in a form that is itself easily misread.

Purported insiders here, as in this thread, are usually a little better when it comes to stating caveats and hedging on the interpretation of what they've heard. And they don't get as huffy when you don't take them seriously.

Hey I'm new and finally got an account after years and years of lurking. Just wanted to say that anybody who thinks Prime 2 is the best Prime is my friend. :D I will never understand how anybody can say it's worse than 3.
On topic: I'm really looking forward to E3 and hope i will not be disappointed. Let's see if Mr. Brandon contributes to something exciting. :)
Who am i kidding it's Retro. No matter what, it's going to be exciting.

I think Prime 2 might be better. I just love how much better the boss battles were and the controls were.

IMO, they should sell it to a company who actually wants to give a damn about Metroid. Nintendo has shown for over 2 decades they don't care about it. They'd rather devote resources to weird shit like Star Fox Zero with its' dual-screen controls and a Chibi Robo platformer (both disasters) than consider making 1 traditional Metroid game internally, which is what they need to do.
"Nintendo should make a Metroid came internally"
"Nintendo should sell the IP."
Selling the IP is a dumb idea.

The issue with the franchise is that even at its best it doesn't sell that well and the fans dont spend much. I imagine something like Tri Force heroes with a mixed reception and a smaller budget will probably sell more than Prime 3.

We'll see how they handle this, but it would be nice if Metroid fans didn't overreact if the game's dev leaks and they don't like it

Idk I'm getting from all of this Climax is helping or making a Metroid game. Climax is involved in someway. I know there's some confusion, but it seems that a 2D Metroid is being made for 3DS. The one poster said his insider info was earlier this year that Metroid was coming to 3DS....please be cross platform (unless Retros game is 3D Metroid for Switch then all is good).

Ocaso

I think Prime 2 might be better. I just love how much better the boss battles were and the controls were.

Prime 2 is my favorite as well. Boss battles were as amazing a step they were abundant, the mood was decidedly more oppressive (fittingly so), and the abilities they included over Prime really made Samus feel like she recovered some of the versatility she lost in the transition to 3D. That said, I think all three are fantastic games. Still can't comprehend how some people think 3 is a disappointment.

For an on topic comment, I hate that this thread is hyping me for a new Metroid announcement at E3 when I've manage de to completely avoid such hype in the past. It just seemed that after all the (mostly undeserved) hate leveled at Other M, Metroid was destined for prolonged hibernation and, if anything, a 3DS release rather than a true home console iteration. Now, if Retro are working on a Metroid game it may be a 3DS game, but for all this time?

In any case if it's a new IP, I'm also all for it. What I really don't want is another 2.5D DKC game. Sorry at everyone who gets irritated by this, but excellent 2.5D platformers are far more plentiful than true 3D pathfinding games, so I'd much rather have the latter from such a talented studio.

Wamb0wneD

Yeah the controls wer intuitive and slick for sure. When it comes to bosses I still like Quadraxis and Amorbis more than most bosses from 3 though. Also to me, 2 oozes atmosphere even more than 1 did, and that's saying something.

I just realized that Tanabe continued with 3 what he started with Prime Hunters. All these different bounty hunters and then giving his federation fetish free reign. Guess that's one of the main reasons i just can't warm up to 3 that much. Leveldesign not as intricate, storytelling more on the nose and "cinematic" and the hyper mode was whatever after a while of playing. It definetly has it's merits as well, but it just doesn't live up to the other two as a whole, imo.

jdstorm

Banned

The issue with the franchise is that even at its best it doesn't sell that well and the fans dont spend much. I imagine something like Tri Force heroes with a mixed reception and a smaller budget will probably sell more than Prime 3.

We'll see how they handle this, but it would be nice if Metroid fans didn't overreact if the game's dev leaks and they don't like it

You are forgetting 2 really important things.

1. Brand identity is much more important now then it was in 2007 when MP3 released. With the internet echochamber hyping up old brands stronger before something as beloved as metroid is going to ride a huge wave of hype provided it looks competent in trailers

2. Nintendo hasn't released a non compromised AAA Metroid since Super Metroid. Metroid prime 1 and 2 were relegated to the gamecube (low install base) and lock on targeting vs the current standard Twin Stick controls due to the game cube controlers c stick. Then Metroid Prime 3 appeared on the Wii with reduced visual spectical compared to the other PS360 gen consoles and was a motion controlled shooter where motion+ was still a few years away and twin stick control had been adopted as an industry standard.

The closest indusrty analogues to where Metroid games should be aiming are Halo, Destiny, Overwatch and to a lesser extent Titanfall. All of those games/series have passed 10M in sales for at least one game.

Wamb0wneD

1. Brand identity is much more important now then it was in 2007 when MP3 released. With the internet echochamber hyping up old brands stronger before something as beloved as metroid is going to ride a huge wave of hype provided it looks competent in trailers

2. Nintendo hasn't released a non compromised AAA Metroid since Super Metroid. Metroid prime 1 and 2 were relegated to the gamecube (low install base) and lock on targeting vs the current standard Twin Stick controls due to the game cube controlers c stick. Then Metroid Prime 3 appeared on the Wii with reduced visual spectical compared to the other PS360 gen consoles and was a motion controlled shooter where motion+ was still a few years away and twin stick control had been adopted as an industry standard.

The closest indusrty analogues to where Metroid games should be aiming are Halo, Destiny, Overwatch and to a lesser extent Titanfall. All of those games/series have passed 10M in sales for at least one game.

I mean, the c stick was used in other games for camera purposes just fine no? I can't think of another FPS where you have to change between different visors and all weapon swapping is done with the right stick. Which was rather well done. If they had a normal weapon system they could have easily implemented twin stick controls. It was a design desicion, not a technical limitation.

Also if Metroid ever aims in the direction of the franchises you mentioned, consider me (and many others) gone.

Yes. Nintendo should be targeting Halo with Metroid. That's the ticket.

I think a mix between Halo (4 and 5 of course) and COD would do the trick.

We are all clinging to Reggies Metroid comment. But its Reggie. He could say Metroid is coming with a straight face if it was Metroid Plaza.

It is almost like most of Nintendo's IPs are too old to please wildly divergent audiences that have divergent favorite entries and the best way to proceed is to ignore what people are asking for and design in a vacuum away from audience wants.

Wamb0wneD

It is almost like most of Nintendo's IPs are too old to please wildly divergent audiences that have divergent favorite entries and the best way to proceed is to ignore what people are asking for and design in a vacuum away from audience wants.

But that leads to Other M and Federation Force... I don't even have much against FF, besides it's weird timing, art style and well... coop centric gameplay.
But yeah, maybe they should do that, worked out for Prime i guess. If only they would try more often then, so we get some more hits amongst those misses. Would be nice. Having only misses after 10 years is kind of sad and leads to people on message boards proclaiming the death of the franchise.

You'll never get a non compromised Metroid game ever then

Idk why Metroid needs to strive to be like Destiny or some of these other games. Wtf that's not Metroid. They don't need to sell 10 million copies. Idk what kind of bar that is. If you want to go all out on the online side of Metroid to make it more appealing that's fine. Leave single player alone. Nobody else does Metroid and I don't want Metroid to change.

Due to how long people have clamored for Metroid I think just releasing a great mainline title will sell a couple million. There's a fervor for Metroid right now.

Vena

But that leads to Other M and Federation Force... I don't even have much against FF, besides it's weird timing, art style and well... coop centric gameplay.
But yeah, maybe they should do that, worked out for Prime i guess. If only they would try more often then, so we get some more hits amongst those misses. Would be nice. Having only misses after 10 years is kind of sad and leads to people on message boards proclaiming the death of the franchise.

I'd consider Prime a bigger deal than two failures, one of which was a minor multilplayer shooter.

jdstorm

Banned
I mean, the c stick was used in other games for camera purposes just fine no? I can't think of another FPS where you have to change between different visors and all weapon swapping is done with the right stick. Which was rather well done. If they had a normal weapon system they could have easily implemented twin stick controls.

Never had a gamecube, but using that controller a few times back then and more recently for Smash 4 (totally got suckered in by the hype) made me remember that its just a miserable experience.

Besides nowdays most games just use a weapon wheel mapped to the right shoulder button to switch between multiple modes. Visors were origionally mapped to the Dpad. (just googled) with weapons being mapped to the right stick you couldnt actually freely look around in Metroid Prime, you had to hold the right sholder button to do that.

A modern conventional control scheme with proper twin stick look controls and a weapon wheel would be more then capable of excecuting MP's goals, and would likely be supperior to the origional control scheme.

Edit: the comparison to Destiny was as a T rated FPS with an emphesis on mobility/platforming. Not the grindy lootfest. Being a soilder/bountyhunter in an powerarmor isnt exactly a unique concept.

Would you prefer me describe it as Halo:Zero Dawn? That would be another comparison with games that have sold extremely well.

Wamb0wneD

I'd consider Prime a bigger deal than two failures, one of which was a minor multilplayer shooter.

Definetly! Prime 1 and 2 are some of my most favourite games. It's just that after all the time Other M was all we got regarding new output, instead of giving us something that at least tries to live up to the prime games, they give us FF. That was a whole new level of tone deaf. It couldn't even be used to evaluate interest in the franchise because of it's untypical gameplay and theme. I just think people don't have the impression Nintendo actually tried for the last decade.

The thing is the stick actually fits i'ts purpose better than a weapon wheel would. You have 4 directions for 4 beams, it's a lot quicker than a weapon wheel could ever be, and less intrusive to boot. But that's because of the nature of the weapons and the amount of them and that all of them fit in the same weapon arm.
But yes, it comes at the cost of camera control. Even though it's not as severe in this game because in fights you lock on anyway to do strafe jumps and so on, and when exploring the right shoulder button becomes second nature after a while. It's definetly not as intuitive as twin sticks or even motion controls but it does it's job. And the upsides outweight the downsides in this case imo.

IMO, they should sell it to a company who actually wants to give a damn about Metroid. Nintendo has shown for over 2 decades they don't care about it. They'd rather devote resources to weird shit like Star Fox Zero with its' dual-screen controls and a Chibi Robo platformer (both disasters) than consider making 1 traditional Metroid game internally, which is what they need to do.
Sell the IP...

But they NEED to make it internally. lol

jdstorm

Banned
Definetly! Prime 1 and 2 are some of my most favourite games. It's just that after all the time Other M was all we got regarding new output, instead of giving us something that at least tries to live up to the prime games, they give us FF. That was a whole new level of tone deaf. It couldn't even be used to evaluate interest in the franchise because of it's untypical gameplay and theme. I just think people don't have the impression Nintendo actually tried for the last decade.

The thing is the stick actually fits i'ts purpose better than a weapon wheel would. You have 4 directions for 4 beams, it's a lot quicker than a weapon wheel could ever be, and less intrusive to boot. But that's because of the nature of the weapons and the amount of them and that all of them fit in the same weapon arm.
But yes, it comes at the cost of camera control. Even though it's not as severe in this game because in fights you lock on anyway to do strafe jumps and so on, and when exploring the right shoulder button becomes second nature after a while. It's definetly not as intuitive as twin sticks or even motion controls but it does it's job. And the upsides outweight the downsides in this case imo.

Not really for me. The cost of camera control is too high. The only difference between a weapon wheel and the current system is that you would need to quickly hold the right shoulder button while doing the same weapon select action. Since your index finger is always above the right shoulder button you can do that action just as quickly as you could on the defult controls, and being able to look around the room is something you need to do far more often then change weapons. Given the control scheme for prime 3 it seems like Nintendo/Retro would agree with this sentiment.

Its also worth noting that the gamecube controller only has 3 shoulder buttons/triggers (L/R/Z) compared to the now standard (L1,L2,R1,R2) so its possible that the extra button could be put to good use adapting the control scheme for modern audiences.

I'd argue Other M and Federation Force were chasing audiences that weren't there for Metroid, just usually a generation too late.

Nanashrew

Banned
The way to understand most insiders (though this applies more to the likes of Rogers/LKD/Robertson than to people I've seen here) is this: they actually do have a handful of sources several links down the chain, for instance in NoE marketing or certain third parties, but exceptionally poor analytical/inferential skills and no journalistic training in good judgement on what and whether or not to publish. They see signs, misread them, and present their findings in a form that is itself easily misread.

Purported insiders here, as in this thread, are usually a little better when it comes to stating caveats and hedging on the interpretation of what they've heard. And they don't get as huffy when you don't take them seriously.

Er...

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

And LKD corroborated and said she had seen it, even getting a drawn picture that's pretty much the Switch.

Personally, they'll have to "change conventions" like they did with Zelda. Although the problem is that the whole "future space shooter" thing going on is way too oversaturated in the west, and it's never done well in Japan in the first place... Or at least Metroid. People are getting sick of it. That's why Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: WW2 exist.

The only thing I could think of is doing something similar to MP1. Strip Samus of everything she has, but add a similar horror atmosphere to Alien with Ridley being the main threat, except you travel to different planets with many different monsters being extremely dangerous and difficult to kill based on armory, so you'd be building Samus back up with constant fear breathing down your neck throughout the game. Something like that I could find to be definitely fun if there were collectibles such as scanning. Although I think there would be a lot of gameplay balancing issues there. There's room for interest in the future space stuff, but horror seems to be what's popular now, but honestly, it might be pretty difficult to come up with something that could make Metroid a system seller similar to Zelda.

KingBroly

Banned

Guess what Metroid fans want? They want a 2D Metroid game.

They don't want another Other M.

They sure as fuck don't want another Federation Force.

This isn't hard to figure out and it's not as impossible as you make it out to be. This isn't Zelda.

Sell the IP...

But they NEED to make it internally. lol

Do it internally or sell the IP. That's their choices. Period. Re-selling the same shit on Virtual Console over and over will only go so far. Outsourcing the IP to Retro, Next Level Games, Team Ninja, etc. gets the series farther away from Nintendo's grasp of trying to understand the series again. IMO, they don't know what the fuck to do with it, and haven't for a long time. So again, ideally, they have an internal team at Nintendo make an honest Metroid game or toss it. Because it's just sitting there right now and it's just doing jackshit for them

Nanashrew

Banned

This isn't hard to figure out and it's not as impossible as you make it out to be. This isn't Zelda.

What studio could handle Metroid? And don't say From Software because I don't want From Software to do it.

So many studios don't even make anything like Metroid. And there's a good chance selling the IP like you want would only bring further shame to the series because it's not what you want.

Takat

I rather Nintendo do Nintendo and don't listen to the fans, like they did with Zelda. They rethought the convention of the game and restructured it. I'd love them to do the same to Metroid.

There's still yet a game that is even close in art to Metroid Prime, and I hope to see what Retro can do with it or something close with that ability.

Do it internally or sell the IP. That's their choices. Period. Re-selling the same shit on Virtual Console over and over will only go so far. Outsourcing the IP to Retro, Next Level Games, Team Ninja, etc. gets the series farther away from Nintendo's grasp of trying to understand the series again. IMO, they don't know what the fuck to do with it, and haven't for a long time. So again, ideally, they have an internal team at Nintendo make an honest Metroid game or toss it. Because it's just sitting there right now and it's just doing jackshit for them

Nintendo doesn't need to make Metroid. Outsourcing it is completely fine. You say people want 2D Metroid well hey there's plenty of developers out there who would LOVE to make a 2D Metroid counting all the great indie devs too. Let them make it. They have a passion for it. Metroid is a western IP anyways.

Instro

I rather Nintendo do Nintendo and don't listen to the fans, like they did with Zelda. They rethought the convention of the game and restructured it. I'd love them to do the same to Metroid.

There's still yet a game that is even close in art to Metroid Prime, and I hope to see what Retro can do with it or something close with that ability.

BotW was designed in part due to fan criticisms of SS actually.

KingBroly

Banned
What studio could handle Metroid? And don't say From Software because I don't want From Software to do it.

So many studios don't even make anything like Metroid. And there's a good chance selling the IP like you want would only bring further shame to the series because it's not what you want.

Nintendo's gotta do it themselves. No Japanese studio gives a damn about Metroid. It doesn't matter what Nintendo personnel drives it, it won't be enough for that development team, regardless of who it is, to see it as anything other than just another job.

Nintendo doesn't need to make Metroid. Outsourcing it is completely fine. You say people want 2D Metroid well hey there's plenty of developers out there who would LOVE to make a 2D Metroid counting all the great indie devs too. Let them make it. They have a passion for it. Metroid is a western IP anyways.

You can't innovate a series when the creative minds behind it are so far removed from the series. That's the point I'm making. "Outsourcing is fine" if you just want to continue to make watered-down clones that will only damage the series further. If Nintendo considered Metroid a western IP, Other M and Federation Force would not exist, because by the definition of it being a western IP, Other M and Federation Force are spiteful parodies.

My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.

I can confirm this is true except for one thing.

It's NEW Nintendo 3DS exclusive.

Takat

BotW was designed in part due to fan criticisms of SS actually.

I highly doubt that. They say they listen to fans, but in reality they do what they want with their franchises. Look at Zelda fans now complaining about lack of dungeons, enemy variety and so on. There's no pleasing people, so I would trust developers to know better than me, since I'm not a game developer. Even though, yes, I'm a gamer.

Champion

I rather Nintendo do Nintendo and don't listen to the fans, like they did with Zelda.
bp112_1358992383.png

I'm pretty sure this was a direct result of the criticism SS received

You're probably overthinking it. Most studios don't make metroid type games but that wouldn't stop Nintendo from theoretically hiring them to do it. As long as it was a competent studio and Nintendo was supervising, the design blue-print isn't that difficult to follow. It may not produce a top 3 metroid or something, but if they're making a 2D metroid it's probably not a flagship title anyway.

You're probably overthinking it. Most studios don't make metroid type games but that wouldn't stop Nintendo from theoretically hiring them to do it. As long as it was a competent studio and Nintendo was supervising, the design blue-print isn't that difficult to follow. It may not produce a top 3 metroid or something, but if they're making a 2D metroid it's probably not a flagship title anyway.
Agreed. In terms of 2D Metroid, there are a lot of indie developers that I feel Nintendo could collaborate with and produce good results. As for 3D Metroid, I feel there are a few third parties that could develop it. Nintendo has a fairly good track record of working with outside developers and creating some good games.

I stand by the opinion of Federation Force being a good game. It just wasn't what anyone wanted.

I haven't played it and almost certainly never will, but if Nintendo wanted to make a Metroid game that would appeal to absolutely no one, they couldn't have done a better job. The Metroid fanbase didn't want a game with a cartoony SD art style; they certainly didn't want said game to be a mission-based co-op online shooter; and the 3DS audience wasn't interested in mission-based co-op online shooters, and vice versa.

They should have responded to the E3 2015 backlash by either scrapping the game entirely or reworking it as a new IP for Switch, and I will never understand why they thought sticking to their guns would pay off. You can't say they weren't warned.

Nanashrew

Banned

Well I think there are plenty of competent developers in the 2D sector. Though most are indies and Nintendo hasn't really collaborated with them in any significant way that would allow an indie to use a character of theirs or develop a game with their IP. However, WayForward has been around a pretty long time as well, and I know Matt Bozon in particular has always expressed interest in making a Metroid title. They've at least had more time in the industry and have even worked on other game company IPs, as well as other licensed stuff.

I have high doubts about the 3D sector though.

I haven't played it and almost certainly never will, but if Nintendo wanted to make a Metroid game that would appeal to absolutely no one, they couldn't have done a better job. The Metroid fanbase didn't want a game with a cartoony SD art style; they certainly didn't want said game to be a mission-based co-op online shooter; and the 3DS audience wasn't interested in mission-based co-op online shooters, and vice versa.

They should have responded to the E3 2015 backlash by either scrapping the game entirely or reworking it as a new IP for Switch, and I will never understand why they thought sticking to their guns would pay off. You can't say they weren't warned.

The reaction from fans was childish to begin with. It had dumb petitions and treehouse crew got hate.

Them backing down would've been worst

Lijik

This doesnt have a clear answer tbh. Would anyone have picked Retro in a hypothetical "Who could handle Donkey Kong?" thread made before they knocked it out of the park with DKCR? So many studios dont make anything like Metroid but that doesnt mean they cant when given the opportunity.

KingBroly

Banned
The reaction from fans was childish to begin with. It had dumb petitions and treehouse crew got hate.

Them backing down would've been worst

If it was "Splatoon Squad" on 3DS, it would've sold 4 million copies because of Japan.

But no, continue to drag Metroid through the mud. Hell, Nintendo could re-skin it and nobody would know the difference.

Nanashrew

Banned
This doesnt have a clear answer tbh. Would anyone have picked Retro in a hypothetical "Who could handle Donkey Kong?" thread made before they knocked it out of the park with DKCR? So many studios dont make anything like Metroid but that doesnt mean they cant when given the opportunity.

To be fair, the batting average for a third party collaborated Metroid is really bad. Retro was bought and they had Miyamoto and Tanabe working incredibly close and upending tea tables. Miyamoto being the one to say it should be first-person when Retro was originally going to make it third-person.

Tanabe recommend Retro because of Michael Kelbaugh, the CEO of Retro, worked on the original Donkey Kong Country games back when he worked for NOA. Donkey Kong Country Returns code name was Project F8 because Kelbaugh thought it was fate.

If anything, they should be stricter with who they give Metroid too, and be willing to upend tea tables like they did for Retro.

No, it's not. That's dumb just like they're not going to sell Star Fox or Chibi Robo.
It's also kind of funny since they basically outsourced Metroid to Retro to make the Prime series that people seem to like.
If it was "Splatoon Squad" on 3DS, it would've sold 4 million copies because of Japan.

But no, continue to drag Metroid through the mud. Hell, Nintendo could re-skin it and nobody would know the difference.
Federation Force was always meant to be a Metroid Spin off. You couldn't rebrand it into a Splatoon game since it doesn't play like Splatoon, it plays like Metroid Prime

Aldric

lf there's indeed a 2D Metroid game in development for 3DS l at least hope they nail the art direction because for the moment l'm picturing a game that looks like Castlevania Mirror of Fate and l don't like this one bit.

Top Bottom