• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament Music - Original Composers Return!!

Nzyme32

Michiel van den Bos, one of the two main composers of the original game has asked on the UE forums to return for the sequel. He also asked if he could bring along the other main composer Alexander Brandon

Steve Polge of the Dev team has responded to accept them back

Both Michiel and Alex have worked together as key composers in Unreal, Unreal Tournament and the original Deus Ex

Forum Posts - https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...eal-UT-Composer)&p=34242&viewfull=1#post34242

Michiel van den Bos said:
Hi!

My name is Michiel van den Bos and one of the two main composers for the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It's been a while and my memory's a bit foggy, but my music has been featured in classic maps like Curse][, Codex, Facing Worlds, Tempest and many others. I've been composing for games ever since, including the universally praised soundtrack for Age of Wonders 3.

I'm writing here because I was getting messages and e-mails telling me I should, due to the announcement of the new UT.

I was wondering if there is any interest in me getting involved and I'm sure I can get Alex to join in too.
If so, I'd be happy to continue a discussion here or off-forum at mikebossmusic[at]gmail.com.

Thank you for your attention and best regards,
Michiel van den Bos

Steven Polge said:
Michiel,
Of course we would be thrilled to have you and Alex involved in this project! The music you guys made always invokes tremendous nostalgia for me - I'm always instantly transported back to playing UT. How are you interested in participating?

Steve

LCGeek

formerly sane
The more I hear about another UT game the more I'm pumped epic has some balls to appeal to the pc crowd again.

Why are more people not happy about this?

jeffers

This has made me more excited. Do really like the Unreal soundtrack for its atmosphere and the UT ones for their pace and texture.

Gangxxter

I'm surprised that the composer asked to return. Normally it's the other way around, that the developers have to convince the composers to come back.

Amazing news, the soundtrack of UT is so awesome, especially the main theme.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Let's face it, when the game releases, there's going to be shittons of hate posts pretty much everywhere that basically will say: "This game sucks, it isn't UT99/UTIII" vs "This game sucks, it isn't UT2k4.". The Epic boards are already complaining about a game that doesn't exist. People are calling for it being a carbon copy of whatever UT they prefer, otherwise they won't play it at all. Nevermind, the F2P (it's just free!) debacle, that shouldn't even have happened in the first place.

Nokterian

The more I hear about another UT game the more I'm pumped epic has some balls to appeal to the pc crowd again.

I am happy about it. Very happy and seeing Epic taking a new route towards what this game will bring for long term unlike say CoD. This makes the game even better and i intend to play it for a longtime when it comes out also support the modmakers/skins/soundpacks etc on the marketplace same thing i do now with Dota 2.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Unreal Tournament threads make me happy and sad. Happy remembering how much I loved and played UT99; sad knowing I no longer play it nor can experience it the same way again.

On topic, UT99's music? The best. So damn unique.

Mupod

oh god oh man. I told myself I wouldn't get hyped but it's happening.

Also, as much as I love the Deus Ex and UT music when I hear Alexander Brandon I still think Tyrian.

Arklite

Foregone Destruction, man. Botpack 9. The Course. The UT 99 composers couldn't make a bad theme, very psyched to hear new UT related works from them.

Sciz

I'm surprised that the composer asked to return. Normally it's the other way around, that the developers have to convince the composers to come back.

Giving the people what they want. Their mid-late 90s tracker projects were the biggest things they were ever involved with, and most of their fans come from that period. Alex in particular did a bunch of games for Epic, so I'm sure he's still got ties to people there anyway.

Also, as much as I love the Deus Ex and UT music when I hear Alexander Brandon I still think Tyrian.

My man. His Jazz Jackrabbit 2 music is also wonderful.

Moongazer

Alexander Brandon returning and making more music would be awesome. Always love his work, even his non-videogame music is pretty good.

Wonder if they could get Andrew Sega on board as well. He did the Mechanism Eight track on UT99 and like Brandon was fairly well known in the tracker scene.

It's shameful for Epic that these guys have to reach out through the forums, they should have been considered from the start. They are amazing talents.
I bet they won't get paid either.

Mupod

I have this from a free offer on GOG, should I play it?

The only people I've ever seen to dislike Tyrian are super hardcore shmup fans. But I considered it one of my favorite games ever for a very long time, and spent WAY too much time in the 90s playing it...so yeah, I'd say it's worth a try.

Sciz

It's shameful for Epic that these guys have to reach out through the forums, they should have been considered from the start. They are amazing talents.
I bet they won't get paid either.

Epic's just now starting to design and code this thing. Probably hadn't even thought about the music yet.

And even then, this is such a community driven thing that it strikes me as totally appropriate that initial contact was done on the forums where the fans can directly talk to them and show their support.

jYSUkEk.gif

wq8TZKR.gif

BGL4ooN.gif

QWCmdqx.gif

Aural satisfaction imminent.

My personal favourite was the original Hyperblast:

Unreal Tournament OST - Hyperblast

Now, if only the game will be as good...

I'm super excited for this game, and if these guys are on board, then at least the soundtrack will be amazing. Seems to be a lot of arguing on the forums, especially about movement and the addition of matchmaking.

In the end, everything is Epic's decision and we'll see how it pans out.

Top Bottom