• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

Corpsepyre

Banned
Shaw birthed the first fucker too. The trilobite. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Ugh.

Best not to think too much. It's a monster film.

Bumhead

Banned
Just out from seeing this.

Overall I enjoyed it. Fassbender is excellent and I love David as a villain. Also thought the scenes involving the Xeno hit all the right notes, with the exception of the air lock stuff which felt like it tried to ape both Alien and Aliens whilst falling totally flat in comparison to both.

Main issues are;

1.) The chest burster raising its arms to David was laughably bad

2.) Did this film seriously get through to release without anybody going "Hang on a sec.." about the script of that flute scene?

3.) I feel like there were a number of emotional plays amongst and regarding the crew members that didn't work and/or just fell flat. Keeping Daniels alive was worth it for the ending alone but other than that, I thought David was very much the "lead" here and the cast were entirely expendable.

4.) I'm VERY worried about the future of Aliens. Talk of retconning Alien 3 has always pissed me off but doing the same of Aliens is unthinkable. To what degree the Queen and how the eggs made it to LV426 are explained in Scott's next film(s?) will dictate how much I consider Prometheus and Covenant as true Alien films, or whether I go back to only considering Alien, Aliens and Isolation.

Generally though I had a good time with what turned out to be a serviceable and surprisingly engaging Alien movie. I'd say it's a fairly solid 6/10 which is about where I expected (and hoped).

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just out from seeing this.

Overall I enjoyed it. Fassbender is excellent and I love David as a villain. Also thought the scenes involving the Xeno hit all the right notes, with the exception of the air lock stuff which felt like it tried to ape both Alien and Aliens whilst falling totally flat in comparison to both.

Main issues are;

2.) Did this film seriously get through to release without anybody going "Hang on a sec.." about the script of that flute scene?

3.) I feel like there were a number of emotional plays amongst and regarding the crew members that didn't work and/or just fell flat. Keeping Daniels alive was worth it for the ending alone but other than that, I thought David was very much the "lead" here and the cast were entirely expendable.

4.) I'm VERY worried about the future of Aliens. Talk of retconning Alien 3 has always pissed me off but doing the same of Aliens is unthinkable. To what degree the Queen and how the eggs made it to LV426 are explained in Scott's next film(s?) will dictate how much I consider Prometheus and Covenant as true Alien films, or whether I go back to only considering Alien, Aliens and Isolation.

Generally though I had a good time with what turned out to be a serviceable and surprisingly engaging Alien movie. I'd say it's a fairly solid 6/10 which is about where I expected (and hoped).

Ridley has six films planned, so there's that. Expect a lot of retconning. Consider it like a comic with different 52 worlds all with their own storylines and arcs. :p

MegalonJJ

Banned
Watched a screening last night...

...when the credits rolled there was a collective sentiment of "that was so shit" echoing around the auditorium.

The xeno is seen too much in daylight/bright lighting. But that's the least of the film's problems.

Also in Alien & Aliens the chest buster is basically a cock with teeth whereas in this its fully formed at birth doing a thunderbirds puppet impression.

I think this was much worse than prometheus. The way the engineers were written out was terrible.

Best to just watch Alien and Aliens.

Prometheus was a beautiful mess, but it had some very interesting ideas that would have been far more interesting to explore, the way in which it was torn to pieces by fans of the the alien franchise was far too harsh. I get that they were rabid for the return of alien after the series had been left to die but still.

I think that Ridley scott has been swayed too much from the critics of prometheus and also from the interest of blomkamp to make alien 5.
Here's hoping that he returns to explain the prometheus ideas a little further, maybe explaining in more detail the events of the ten years david and shaw spent until covenant.
I think Ridley scott would have been better off telling the story he wanted tell regarding the engineers/david and shaw first and then moving onto the aliens themselves.
As it stands it's now a little muddled and not likely to please either fans of prometheus who wanted answers or fans of the alien series.

Yep. Plus the audience at my screening erupted with laughter at the Fassbender 'fingering' bit.

Same here.

And the part where David suddenly emerges Aragorn style, and shoots a flare in the sky. Muffled laughter.

And the part where David and Walter have a Matrix style fight and Walter makes it even more obvious by saying they got "upgrades".

Sigh.

Same here.

And the part where David suddenly emerges Aragorn style, and shoots a flare in the sky. Muffled laughter.

And the part where David and Walter have a Matrix style fight and Walter makes it even more obvious by saying they got "upgrades".

Sigh.

It makes no sense to me that nobody watched the film before release and didn't comment on those sections, the script for the flute scene was diabolical and killed any atmosphere for the whole cinema audience.
It simply had to be re-written, they must have known that people would laugh.

MRORANGE

Good but not amazing. Better than Prometheus would rank it after Alien and Aliens.

David making aliens make sense.
David understood the language of the engineers and used it to learn of their ways.
David understood the black goo was a parasite that took forms of the host and in some carses. creating life forms if infected the right ways.
Shaw was a experiment by David, He worked out to create the ultimate life form was to mix the goo with the DNA of his creators.
Shaw got murferef for use of creating of the Eva's, most likely her ovaries were mixed with the black goo to create dormant face hugger eggs.
Facehuggeres were the next step, specifically designed for humans by David to wipe out his own creators.
David ptoball then creates the queen as a quicker method of creating aliens.'
Useing the 2000 embryos he was able farm alien hives as seen in Aliena.
David is basically a dick because he sprites his original creator for not appreciating him so creates own to wreck havoc on humanity and to play god.

It makes no sense to me that nobody watched the film before release and didn't comment on those sections, the script for the flute scene was diabolical and killed any atmosphere for the whole cinema audience.

I went in with low expectations, up to landing on the planet thought the movie was slow but pretty, and that the pace would pay off. But nope.

The Neomorphs were silly, compounded by awful cg and comedy spores throwing a spooky formation (the may as well have just made the spore cloud skull-shaped). Then once David appeared with his long hair I lost all hope.

The hot Fassbender on Fassbender action was impossible to take remotely seriously.

Yikes, I hope Blade Runner 2049 doesn't end up this bad.

Ridley Scott's involvement in that seems to begin and end with having a couple dinners with Villeneuve and hiring Michael Green to adapt one of Hampton Fancher's earlier scripts.

Basically, because he was off making this thing, he really didn't have time to fuck with what's happening on that project.

It's baffling, isn't it?

Ridley Scott's involvement in that seems to begin and end with having a couple dinners with Villeneuve and hiring Michael Green to adapt one of Hampton Fancher's earlier scripts.

Basically, because he was off making this thing, he really didn't have time to fuck with what's happening on that project.

And thank god for that. I've basically lost all hope of Ridley Scott ever making a good film again. It's sad, but I'd much rather he'd stop before ruining his name. The pile of garbage movies directed by Ridley Scott is rapidly increasing and will soon bury his masterpieces until we only recognise him from AAA B-Horror movies like Alien: Covenant. Gladiator who?

it sure was lucky that Walter looked exactly like David, or he never would have escaped. What are the odds? Especially considering the synthetics have all looked different throughout the series.

Why did they not wear helmets while exploring the planet? Oh, because the very concept of the spore aliens wouldn't work then.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Hooray!

So Ridley Scott is explaining the origin of the Xenomorph as being made by David? Is that it?

More like how David tampered with the black goo until he got the type Xeno he wanted.

Honestly, the movie does a pretty good job in summarizing how the goo works, as I understand it, it basically kills 90% of the time (like the Enginner at the beginning of prometheus and Holloway) and the remains infect hosts and create deadly hybrids as a post-attack cleanup tool.

David refined that second property until he got the proto-xeno in the movie, Shaw's body was somehow involved in the proccess apparently as well.

Writing quick thoughts from mobile.

This film was fucking dreadful. Characters making unbelievably stupid decisions. No tension. Embarrassing attempts at philosophical depth and predictable as hell.

Fasbender was great though even though he was playing a cartoon villain. Also, everyone was saying that this was a beautifully shot film? I thought the direction was pretty bad by Ridley Scott standards. So many cuts in non action scenes and strangely dark at times. Could barely make out what was happening. Especially towards the end of the film.

I am so disappointed. This wasn't as good as Prometheus which I didn't like either. Both are bad but I felt like this was worse. Ridley Scott continues to disappoint me and it's depressing. I hope his involvement with blade runner is minimal because I really think he has the potential to ruin it.

3/10

Scarecrow

The more I think about it, the more I dislike this thing. It feels like Scott fixed the biggest mistakes from Prometheus, the ambiguity, but dropped everything that made that film interesting.

What was David's motivation for killing all the Engineers?

They could have shown David succumbing more to his apparent loneliness after killing off all life on the planet. Would have given him a bit more depth instead of boo hiss EVIL ROBOT.

Killing Shaw could've felt like a thematic punch to the gut. Instead it felt sickening.

That's how this movie felt. A sickening disaster.

Aliens>Alien>Isolation>Prometheus>Alien3>A:C>Resurrection

Alienfan

Yep. Plus the audience at my screening erupted with laughter at the Fassbender 'fingering' bit.

Unexpected homoerotica always gets laughs in films, I don't think that scene was "bad", the whole point of those early David scenes was to illustrate that his model was too uncanny valley in how it conversed, it made people uncomfortable, which is why they fixed it with later iterations.

Saudades

Main issues are;

1) Dunno what's with Ridley and hand-raising altogether. Happens in Prometheus too with Idris Elba & crew when the scientist ship crashes into the Engineer ship. That was just laughable instead of...whatever it was he was going for.

2) Seems like everyone here has a problem with the flute scene what with the unfortunate homoerotic subtext. But I don't know, it was a very tense scene for me. After David got his haircut (somehow he has brown hair under blonde) I knew there was gonna be some sort of switcheroo between him and Walter later so I was totally expecting him to off his "brother" at one point or another. During that scene when Walter is playing the flute and David is "fingering" (I was the only one who chuckled in the theater - it was in Korea and I think the joke got lost in translation), I was wondering if David is going to shove the whole flute up the guy's skull or something which made it pretty tense. He doesn't during that scene but he eventually does do so in the next, so I guess that was what they were going for.

3) They have too big a cast so not everyone can get enough screentime for emotional investment - I guess the main two are Daniels' and T's couples, and maybe Oram's and the gay guys in a lesser extent. It doesn't help that most of their bonding are in the prologue video, and we don't even know who's coupling with who at many points.

Lagamorph

So....what was the point of killing the Captain at the start? It seemed to serve utterly no purpose. They could easily have had nobody killed in a freak accident and still decided to go check out the planet. All they needed was someone outside making repairs to get the signal.
They seemed to be trying to set up tension between the new captain and the crew, then beyond the crew holding a funeral against his orders there was absolutely no follow-up to it.

Speaking of the new Captain, he seemed fine at first then turned into a complete idiot by following David down to the Egg chamber. Given what he had just seen upstairs in David's lab, combined with what happened to the other crew members earlier, then he should have just noped right the fuck out of there immediately. Even without knowing what's coming why the hell would you go anywhere near one of those things when the creepy synthetic dude has just told you that he made them from the stuff that caused a monster to burst out of one of your crew members mouths?

Also, on the subject of the arm raising chestbuster....why did it even have legs? Chestbursters don't have legs. Or is this still supposed to be an 'earlier' version before David completed work on them?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Also, on the subject of the arm raising chestbuster....why did it even have legs? Chestbursters don't have legs. Or is this still supposed to be an 'earlier' version before David completed work on them?

The chestburster in Aliens had arms whereas the one in Alien didn't, there have already been different versions. Obviously the one in Covenant looks dumb but in principle it makes sense that there would be some variation in the chestbursters just like the xenomoprhs themselves are slightly different depending on the circumstances.

The chestburster in Aliens had arms whereas the one in Alien didn't, there have already been different versions. Obviously the one in Covenant looks dumb but in principle it makes sense that there would be some variation in the chestbursters just like the xenomoprhs themselves are slightly different depending on the circumstances.

I think between the Alien series and the X-Men franchise, Fox has demonstrated they just don't give a toss about continuity.

2) Seems like everyone here has a problem with the flute scene what with the unfortunate homoerotic subtext. But I don't know, it was a very tense scene for me. After David got his haircut (somehow he has brown hair under blonde) I knew there was gonna be some sort of switcheroo between him and Walter later so I was totally expecting him to off his "brother" at one point or another. During that scene when Walter is playing the flute and David is "fingering" (I was the only one who chuckled in the theater - it was in Korea and I think the joke got lost in translation), I was wondering if David is going to shove the whole flute up the guy's skull or something which made it pretty tense. He doesn't during that scene but he eventually does do so in the next, so I guess that was what they were going for.

I had no problems with the homoerotic subtext, i don't think anybody would mind it and they would also find it tense if the script was a little more considered.

On davids hair....he always had brown hair, David bleaches it in prometheus to try and look like Peter O'Toole playing T. E. Lawrence.

wolgoen

WTF is Ridley doing, he's lost his way.

Firstly, he said this was going to be a "hard R" rating. Pfffft. Yeah ok. It was about as scary and gory as the Mary Poppins movie.

Let's see what else:

Fast moving short action/combat CGI scenes that are hard to tell what's going on - check.

Boring, cliche death scenes. "I'm going to leave the safety of the group to go off by myself for no real reason than to wash my face and first aid my arm. I hear a noise, omg there's that giant alien behind me" Nom nom nom. Boring - check.

"I'll do the fingering..." nuff said.

Absolutely no suspense in any of the alien sequences whatsoever - check.

Hands in the air like you're on a rollercoaster little alien dude - What. The. ****.

Considering you're on an Alien planet, there's a creature running around and this David android seems to have turned mad scientist...Hey look, I've made an alien egg, put your head inside it. Ok. DUMB CHARACTERS - check.

Comedy in an Alien movie - Tennessee's tits joke. Awkward stupid dialogue - check.

I could go on and on but basically I thought the movie was pretty much shit. I'm can't believe how Ridley is ruining these Alien prequels the same way Lucas ruined the Star Wars prequels.

What was David's motivation for killing all the Engineers?

They could have shown David succumbing more to his apparent loneliness after killing off all life on the planet. Would have given him a bit more depth instead of boo hiss EVIL ROBOT.

Killing Shaw could've felt like a thematic punch to the gut. Instead it felt sickening.
I think that David succumbed to loneliness before he got to the Engineers' planet, The Crossing prologue shows he might've spent many of those ten years alone in the Juggernaut.

I thought that him confounding Byron with Shelley and Walter's comment on "how a wrong note can ruin a whole symphony" was meant to show that there's something definitely wrong with him. As for him killing Shaw, I can totally see it as some twisted love, like experimenting on her was the only way to make her into the mother of his monstruous babies.

Alienfan

I understand people's issues with the flute scene, but the Alien raising it's arms scene was hands down the best chestburster scene in the franchise. I challenge you to name a better one, the whole thing was chilling, the chestburster finally didn't look like a cheap puppet and didn't do a wee dance as it ran away like in the original.

1) So....what was the point of killing the Captain at the start? It seemed to serve utterly no purpose. They could easily have had nobody killed in a freak accident and still decided to go check out the planet. All they needed was someone outside making repairs to get the signal.
They seemed to be trying to set up tension between the new captain and the crew, then beyond the crew holding a funeral against his orders there was absolutely no follow-up to it.

2) Speaking of the new Captain, he seemed fine at first then turned into a complete idiot by following David down to the Egg chamber. Given what he had just seen upstairs in David's lab, combined with what happened to the other crew members earlier, then he should have just noped right the fuck out of there immediately. Even without knowing what's coming why the hell would you go anywhere near one of those things when the creepy synthetic dude has just told you that he made them from the stuff that caused a monster to burst out of one of your crew members mouths?

3) Also, on the subject of the arm raising chestbuster....why did it even have legs? Chestbursters don't have legs. Or is this still supposed to be an 'earlier' version before David completed work on them?

1) I thought it was strange too. I think either Fox/Scott just wanted a squeeze in a James Franco cameo, or there was originally more scenes with his character but they didn't make the final cut. Why the prologue on Youtube wasn't in the movie beats me.

2) Eh, dumb character's are par for the course in an Alien movie - people act like Prometheus and Covenant are the only offenders, but truth is the franchise has been having characters die in completely stupid and easily preventable ways since its inception.

3) Either Scott doesn't give a shit, and just used a new design... or (my theory) the engineers had their own version of the Alien (the one in the original film), David simply found their "egg/alien" formula and improved on it hence why the Alien grows from chestburster to full size so quickly and behaves slightly differently. Or something along the lines of what you said. We might be giving Scott too much credit though lol

3) Either Scott doesn't give a shit, and just used a new design... or (my theory) the engineers had their own version of the Alien (the one in the original film), David simply found their "egg/alien" formula and improved on it hence why the Alien grows from chestburster to full size so quickly and behaves slightly differently.

Also, this version is fully biological, if David ends up creating the biomechanical one in the original it might take more time to gestate and grow, since it'd me more complex. This one was purposefully made more instinctual and animalistic IMO.

Hystzen

The issue with the sexy flute scene it's hilarious as the whole conversation is also pointless. It tries tie into the whole how good it is to create but it just doesn't work. Doesn't help it all undercut in next scene when David talks about Walter being in love with Daniels so it's not even a corruption scene as David must know Walter won't betray his crew just to create. It's just a odd scene were film says David is evil because he wants to create things with bizarre lines about blowing and finger holes

I understand people's issues with the flute scene, but the Alien raising it's arms scene was hands down the best chestburster scene in the franchise. I challenge you to name a better one, the whole thing was chilling, the chestburster finally didn't look like a cheap puppet and didn't do a wee dance as it ran away like in the original.

Chilling? Is this sarcasm

Its a hilarious bad scene, the cgi is terrible its movement looks poor then it proceeds put up arms hissing hail satan. Most casual viewers are here be scared by the xenomoprh and its introduction is this a tiny alien putting his hands up in the air like he just don't care. Yeah yeah it showing David has control put it looks awful and not scary.

I await the blu ray release so someone on youtube edits scene to put Baby Groot waving instead

Alienfan

Chilling? Is this sarcasm

Its a hilarious bad scene, the cgi is terrible its movement looks poor then it proceeds put up arms hissing hail satan. Most casual viewers are here be scared by the xenomoprh and its introduction is this a tiny alien putting his hands up in the air like he just don't care. Yeah yeah it showing David has control put it looks awful and not scary.

I await the blu ray release so someone on youtube edits scene to put Baby Groot waving instead

The CGI wasn't "terrible" in that scene, the chestburster hasn't been done or looked better before, it's usually hilarious or terribly animated. The chestburster is never intended to be scary as much as disturb the viewer. There was something about David waiting for it to burst out, the chestburst itself and the Alien mimicking David's arm movements that was deeply disturbing. Very well done

Ushojax

The CGI wasn't "terrible" in that scene, the chestburster hasn't been done or looked better before, it's usually hilarious or terribly animated.

It looked really stupid on screen, it honestly reminded me of this.

David wiped out the entire race of engineers with the pathogen, so every engineer gave birth to a neomorph, as shown in the flashback. Where were they?

Why didn't Mother detect that Walter was David?

Ushojax

David wiped out the entire race of engineers with the pathogen, so every engineer gave birth to a neomorph, as shown in the flashback. Where were they?

Shhh....you're thinking about this more than Ridley ever did.

I don't think why people think it was so hilarious, I thought the music and Fassbender's acting (especially his actual, genuine smile) in that scene sold it. The Alien raising his arms in imitation is fine IMO, just like animal offspring imitate their parents' behavior, it was a theme carried throughout the whole movie (like David regurgitating the embryos he was 'incubating' at the end as some animals do).

He explains that the pathogen mostly degrades dna and kills (like the Engineer in the beginning of Prometheus or Holloway). When he released and it came in contact with the atnosphere it killed them almost instantly. Some strains mutate organisms and create parasites used to gestate highly dangerous hybrids, apparently as a post-attack cleanup strategy. So not many (if any) Deacons/Neomorphs must've been born from David's masive attack.

He either hacked her or she recognizes him as friendly (he even has a company passcode). Tenesse mentions mother was down for maintenance after the storm with David already onboard so it wouldn't surprise me if he did something to her.

Scarecrow

Did the Engineers produce neomorphs during that scene? I thought they either dissolved or turned to dead statues. My version was heavily censored so they could have deleted that part.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just returned from seeing this.

Is 'acting like a goddamn idiot' a requirement for a character to appear in these movies or something? Because goddamn the amount of times I shook my head towards how idiotic the characters acted on the screen... Geeezz.

Truant

So this is all we get on Shaw's death?

This was some Junji Ito shit. The creepiest part of the entire movie was David's drawings.

Also, if David just wanted to get on the ship to experiment more, why did he basically kill the entire crew and risk spoiling his chances of reaching the Covenant? He should have just played them all to keep them safe.

Lagamorph

Challenge accepted
space-balls-alien-dance_o_gifsoup-com.gif

Hystzen

The CGI wasn't "terrible" in that scene, the chestburster hasn't been done or looked better before, it's usually hilarious or terribly animated. The chestburster is never intended to be scary as much as disturb the viewer. There was something about David waiting for it to burst out, the chestburst itself and the Alien mimicking David's arm movements that was deeply disturbing. Very well done

Chestbuster always looked bad yes but this was not a massive leap up it moved odd like they trying imitate a puppet. This is one key moments first time seeing a close to xenomorph and it introduced like this with hands in air looks goofy. David sat waiting throwing rocks at the captain was amazing though.

I enjoyed it, mainly because Fassbender just draws your soul in. Also, nice spaceships and stuff. The other humans were passable. Ironic how the one that stood out the most was the comedian guy and I was apprehensive about him when I saw the trailer.

Not a fan of the Aliens franchise, my only exposure to it was the first one when I was too young to remember, and recently the video game.

I enjoyed the first two thirds more than the generic action-y final act. This movie was exactly the change of pace I was looking for as I wasn't in the mood to watch Guardians 2.

Zushin

I didn't mind the movie tbh. The thing that irritated me the most was the captain putting his noggin over the egg after what he just saw. The movie is obviously no where near Alien, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Looking forward to seeing the sequel/prequel set between this and Prometheus.

T.O.P

Banned
I didn't hate it but i didn't love it either, props for the gore anyway

Dat fuckin flute scene tho, what the hell

Roussow

The lamest foreshadowing award goes to "Walter's" hood flying up in the breeze and resting conspicuously to mirror David's entrance, fuck me that was blatant.

However, despite the fact I'm pretty negative on the film, every minute of the movie from the moment one of the crew gets sick, to the quarantine scene, the scenes outside the ship wreckage, right up until the flare were absolutely stellar. I loved how messy it all was, it felt very human the way that clusterfuck went down.

Top Bottom