• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation has terrified me more than any movie or game I've experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing through the game, the station security guy sounded kinda familiar. Especially when he used Ripley's last name. I was like "They went out and got a guy that sounds a hell of a lot like Gorman."

Credits rolled, and sure enough, it was William Hope doing the voice.

cjp

I haven't finished it yet. I think I'm on mission 11 currently, but I'm really enjoying it.

DieH@rd

Banned
The tension in this game is nearly UNBEARABLE. Obviously we'd be getting into spoilers to discuss specifics-but there is a certain sequence late in the game
Reactor/Nest
where I had lost, and had to revert to a previous save. I turned the game off for the night, and the next play session I was actually nervous to continue playing. When I finished that sequence, my heart was literally pounding-I could feel my blood thumping in my head with my headphones in-which brings up another point: you HAVE to use headphones when you play this game. The sound design is off the fucking charts-easiy the best I've ever encountered in a game.

That was such a fantastic section in already great game. And tension is pretty much perfect word. After flamethrower is obtained, Amanda can easily go on the offensive. Alien becomes less of an issue, but still, visual/audio design and need for "not spending resources" are so incredibly strong that this game really pushes me to play in short bursts [30-60mins]. I get too nervous to play longer, a true hallmark of effective horror game design.

When I entered that section, I was freaked the fuck out the entire time. Fantastic game design.

yea the game is really scary, boderline unplayable in my case.

the shader aliasing really hurts the overall immersion factor though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Does the game have Oculus support? Official or not, doesn't matter to me.

Creative Assembly created VR mode for showcasing game at conventions. This mode was locked out in retail version, but it can be re-enabled easily. It is not perfect [camera zoomes automatically at terminals, which is freaky in VR, hands cannot be decupled from body, etc], but it can be used throughout entire game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tss_VsV1Vzc

smurfx

get some go again
I remember feeling similar when i played re3 back in the day. I didn't want to enter rooms because I feared nemesis would appear and kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom