• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Does the new easy mode make this game more tolerable? I really enjoyed the look and feel of the game but when you waste 45 minutes replaying a scene because the alien has killed you 5 times and you've done what you can to avoid him, well, I kinda just want to experience this game without feeling incredibly annoyed by it.

This was discussed on the previous page to some degree, but in short: yes.

strafer

Can we all agree that this game looks absolutely amazing?

It's almost like when I played Doom 3 for the first time back in the day.

GuessWho

I'm at chapter 6 and im liking the game so far, but I think i'm at a point where the Alien is no longer scary just annoying.

frontovik

Banned
For those wondering about how the
eggs were created in the Reactor...

Q&A with the developers:

AvPGalaxy – Was there any point in which the Alien Queen actually made a presence in the story of the game and how would that have played out?

Will Porter – No, she was always as previously described – there but unseen, for fear that the player would expect a battle. I think that, ultimately, we made the right choice. There were many meetings in which we discussed having vague hints at her presence but, to borrow a Dan Abnett phrase, it was too ‘on the nose’. She’s down there somewhere, in amongst the cacophony, but Ripley was lucky enough not to bump into her.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/in...ien-isolation-writers-will-porter-dion-lay/2/

For those wondering about how the
eggs were created in the Reactor...

Oh, interesting.

I had wondered if they went with the OG idea that one alien, by itself, could produce an egg if no queen was around.

Slightly off topic, but I remember thinking just after the medical level that there was no way just one alien was causing all the problems on the station. It made for a great I KNEW IT moment when Ripley finds more of them and discovers the nest.

Dalek

Oh, interesting.

I had wondered if they went with the OG idea that one alien, by itself, could produce an egg if no queen was around.

Slightly off topic, but I remember thinking just after the medical level that there was no way just one alien was causing all the problems on the station. It made for a great I KNEW IT moment when Ripley finds more of them and discovers the nest.

I've had time to reflect on the game now, and I think that was one of the greatest game moments of all time for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Slightly off topic, but I remember thinking just after the medical level that there was no way just one alien was causing all the problems on the station.

What made you feel this way? It seemed perfectly plausible to me that
there was only one.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Nope.

Welcome to horror endings.

And it sets up the sequel very well.

Don't know why so many have problems with the ending.
welcome to horror endings? lol

guess I was expecting it to be more like the ending of the first movie.

Finally finished. A great ride and I liked the ending.
It was sooooo satisfying to see that damn station with all those eggs burn in the planet's atmosphere.

Game is taunting me with hard mode right now.

"You could not handle it, could you? You big wuss. Do that again on hard mode if you think you are so clever."

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finally finished. A great ride and I liked the ending.
It was sooooo satisfying to see that damn station with all those eggs burn in the planet's atmosphere.

Game is taunting me with hard mode right now.

"You could not handle it, could you? You big wuss. Do that again on hard mode if you think you are so clever."

You can handle hard mode. Hard mode really isn't THAT bad if you've already played the game on a lower difficulty. You already know what you can and can't get away with and you know the path you need to take through most areas.

You can handle hard mode. Hard mode really isn't THAT bad if you've already played the game on a lower difficulty. You already know what you can and can't get away with and you know the path you need to take through most areas.

Yeah that's what I figured it would be like. Changing to novice helped me get past the gripling fear, but when I got my fear into a more manageable levels, novice felt a bit cheap at times. Trying to evade a half blind alien..

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah that's what I figured it would be like. Changing to novice helped me get past the gripling fear, but when I got my fear into a more manageable levels, novice felt a bit cheap at times. Trying to evade a half blind alien..

On second thought if you played it on novice then you may not be ready for hard.

But I dunno good luck.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The section I had the most difficulty with:

Mission 6: specifically the section which immediately precedes the cutscene where you have to use a computer terminal behind a synthetic then escape through a hallway with jackasses shooting at you and, of course, the alien.

I imagine on a second playthrough I'd have an easier time with that section, but yeah, it gave me a lot of trouble. Particularly at the end when I only had a short hallway or two standing between me and my destination.

Anung

Un Rama
Got the platinum for this today :D The last trophy I had to get was the 'get killed by the Alien 100 times' which was a bit brutal.

Fantastic game that I've loved my time with.

Just beat this.

Wow, what an experience, incredible game and probably the closest we'll get to the perfect Alien game and or movie and or anything.

The graphics engine is absolutely incredible, especially on PC but I'm surprised how good it looks on consoles as well.

The sound design is some of the best I've heard since Thief II: The Metal Age, and the soundtrack is a perfect homage to the old Horner/Goldsmith scores from the first and second movies(mostly the first movie really). To be honest it reminds me a lot of System Shock 2 at times alongside the stealth from something like the Thief games.

Such an amazing gem, thank you Creative Assembly.

EDIT: beat it on the hardest mode in the game.

Tntnico

I'm currently playing this game and I truly love it ! It's a great first person stealth game !
Creative Assembly, you're ready to work on a Perfect Dark reboot !

I didn't make much progress over the weekend, but I'm still loving this game. I think I'm on Chapter 7 now. Really struggled on Chapter 6; at one point I set off an alarm and I had an Average Joe behind me, humans in front of me and the alien above me drooling in vents, ready to jump down and eat my face if I got too close.

Also, at one point I hid under a gurney and the alien still spotted me. Is that normal? I don't know whether it was a glitch in the AI and it did have a full view of me down the corridor, but it screeched and ran straight for me. I thought being under something was always 'safe', but that's the only time I've done it when the enemy had a straight view of me as well.

Is it too early to have minor, Alien-related, PTSD from this game? I'm on Chapter 6 and when I think about playing again, I begin to get anxious and jittery. But yet I'm itching to get further in the story.

Also, I'm a baby.

Just finished chapter 6 and I've lost loads of health from cutscene happenings. There was
the explosion just as the alien was about to get me, and I must have lost more dropping out of a vent. Is this deliberate?
I've literally just used a health syringe a few minutes ago and now kind of need another.

Had a great 2-ish hour session last night, got through two chapters. Damn though this game is so tense; I find playing it for long periods of time tiring, but it's very compelling too. I'm trying to avoid fighting people wherever possible, and may try to go for the 'Mercy or Prudence' trophy, where you don't kill anyone. I wonder though whether that counts kills where you attract the alien to dispatch them for you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Had a great 2-ish hour session last night, got through two chapters. Damn though this game is so tense; I find playing it for long periods of time tiring, but it's very compelling too. I'm trying to avoid fighting people wherever possible, and may try to go for the 'Mercy or Prudence' trophy, where you don't kill anyone. I wonder though whether that counts kills where you attract the alien to dispatch them for you.

Using the alien to kill humans does not count against you. I can say this 100% certainty.

Getting Mercy or Prudence is a pretty easy trophy actually. There is no reason you should ever engage humans directly. Every human encounter can be avoided. Honestly the only tricky human encounter is the first one on mission 3 and even that has a ridiculously easy fool proof strategy.

There were 1 or 2 instances where a human would shoot at me and I would hide behind a box while the alien took care of them.

Using the alien to kill humans does not count against you. I can say this 100% certainty.

Getting Mercy or Prudence is a pretty easy trophy actually. There is no reason you should ever engage humans directly. Every human encounter can be avoided. Honestly the only tricky human encounter is the first one on mission 3 and even that has a ridiculously easy fool proof strategy.

There were 1 or 2 instances where a human would shoot at me and I would hide behind a box while the alien took care of them.

Cool, thanks. I did stun a couple of bastards, but pretty sure I haven't killed anyone.

Thinking about it, this is the kind of game where I'd love a statistics screen, to see number of people killed, number of androids killed, time spent crouching, running, walking, in vents, items created, items used, etc.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cool, thanks. I did stun a couple of bastards, but pretty sure I haven't killed anyone.

Thinking about it, this is the kind of game where I'd love a statistics screen, to see number of people killed, number of androids killed, time spent crouching, running, walking, in vents, items created, items used, etc.

Stunning might kill them. I never even had to do that.

What made you feel this way? It seemed perfectly plausible to me that
there was only one.

It was really just one thing:

The xeno's 'teleportation' around the station. It just didn't seem likely to me that one alien was causing all this chaos *and* following Ripley around to most of the places she visited.

After the reveal though, a couple other things stood out. Even though Sebastopol is a poorly run, understaffed station, there was still a large security force that could have tracked down and isolated a single alien (which Ripley and the chief are able to do). And there was the army of working joes, that clearly could have been programmed to attack xenos, or at least investigate where they're coming from, and be used to seal in the nest.

Oh, the stun rod kills humies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It was really just one thing:

The xeno's 'teleportation' around the station. It just didn't seem likely to me that one alien was causing all this chaos *and* following Ripley around to most of the places she visited.

After the reveal though, a couple other things stood out. Even though Sebastopol is a poorly run, understaffed station, there was still a large security force that could have tracked down and isolated a single alien (which Ripley and the chief are able to do). And there was the army of working joes, that clearly could have been programmed to attack xenos, or at least investigate where they're coming from, and be used to seal in the nest.

Oh, the stun rod kills humies.

There is no way the company would have allowed that.

There is no way the company would have allowed that.

True - but there might have been a window between
the insolvency of Seegson and the takeover by Weyland-Yutani where an intrepid engineer could have done something to their programming.

Dammit, this A:I talk is making me pine for the next CA Alien game. I love how they handled the lore.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
True - but there might have been a window between
the insolvency of Seegson and the takeover by Weyland-Yutani where an intrepid engineer could have done something to their programming.

Dammit, this A:I talk is making me pine for the next CA Alien game. I love how they handled the lore.

The security force had been trying to take down the alien. The alien have shown to be quite intelligent and able to use their environment effectively.

Don't forget that in Aliens the Xenos completely wiped out the marines that had far superior firepower to the colonial marshalls. So yes, its pretty believeable that a single Xeno was causing all that Havoc.

Yes, you can actually. Just go to chapter select and restart. Assuming you didn't kill anyone prior to that you are still gold for the trophy if you just restart the chapter for which you lost the trophy.

Thanks, I may try that. Just need to decide how much of a trophy whore I feel like when I next sit down to play it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks, I may try that. Just need to decide how much of a trophy whore I feel like when I next sit down to play it.

Its up to you. Humans can easily be avoided in any playthrough you do. If you're a trophy whore and want to get the platinum you're inevitably going to do a second playthrough anyway.

The security force had been trying to take down the alien. The alien have shown to be quite intelligent and able to use their environment effectively.

Don't forget that in Aliens the Xenos completely wiped out the marines that had far superior firepower to the colonial marshalls. So yes, its pretty believeable that a single Xeno was causing all that Havoc.

Oh, for sure. Like I said, that was more of an 'after thought' reason.

Did anyone take the chance during Chapter 16 or 17 to explore all of Sebastopol?

Making slow but steady progress with this, probably played about 10 hours now. On
Chapter 11
, I now have the
androids running around the station killing everyone
, and I'm interested how they're going to
get the alien back on board the station
without it being contrived. I assume that must be what happens, because I'm only about 2/3 of the way through.

I've got to say, although I am really enjoying it the concept feels a little stretched out, and it probably should be wrapping up by now. I've also encountered a couple of situations in Chapter 11 where getting the Mercy or Prudence trophy is proving tricky, with quite a few humans around and I see no obvious way to get past them besides trying to throw a flashbang and just run. Not working too well so far.

Top Bottom