• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

ruxtpin

Banned
True. The Chapter 16 "bug" is the best thing you can do.

Thanks. Is the "bug" something that would ruin the story if I found about about it now? Or do I look it up after I've beat the game, come back to chapter 16 and then wander around?

Szadek

Finally got around to play the game,currently at chapter 6.
Got a bit frustarted a bit at some ,but overall it's pretty great so far.

So far the crafting is pretty pointless.Haven't really found a good use for these items yet.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Finally got around to play the game,currently at chapter 6.
Got a bit frustarted a bit at some ,but overall it's pretty great so far.

So far the crafting is pretty pointless.Haven't really found a good use for these items yet.

You will.

Also don't waste your flares.

Yeah, it's not best to backtrack during the actual playthrough, but I have no idea what the "bug" is referring to.

Before the patches there was this bug that prevented people to finish the game after doing the whole Chapter 16 "free roam" technique.

I have no idea if it was fixed and if it was console specific.

hypotc

I got the platinum trophy today! Feels great man. I also bought the special steelbook edition, because the Evac cover is too awesome.

Yeah, I love this game, and Alien is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Jobbs

Banned
Youtube videos: 1

I like this. but I can't say which I like more, since I also love what we got.

generally speaking I prefer third person games, because I like seeing my character, I feel a greater sense of connection to the character if I can see him or her, so that's how I prefer my games -- that said, Alien Isolation really is a nearly perfect experience, so it's hard to say I'd fundamentally change it.

On chapter 4, so far I'm digging it a lot. The presentation is amazing obviously, and I'm pleased at how challenging it is already (playing on hard). So far it's not that scary, though I've only run into the alien twice, and very briefly.

On Demand

Banned
On chapter 4, so far I'm digging it a lot. The presentation is amazing obviously, and I'm pleased at how challenging it is already (playing on hard). So far it's not that scary, though I've only run into the alien twice, and very briefly.

It's not so much that's it's scary, it just really makes you tense.

frontovik

Banned

generally speaking I prefer third person games, because I like seeing my character, I feel a greater sense of connection to the character if I can see him or her, so that's how I prefer my games -- that said, Alien Isolation really is a nearly perfect experience, so it's hard to say I'd fundamentally change it.

Well said. I feel the same way. Though it would be neat if CA included the third person gameplay mode in the game.

Alien Isolation would never have the same type of horror and isolated feeling in third person than what we all played in First Person.

The sense of not knowing what is around the corner is infinitely more superior then being able to camera glitch your way around it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I usually prefer third person games so I don't think having the option would have hurt. I understand why it's first person, but options!

I'm very glad they dropped the third person view, it just wouldn't give me that chilling feeling when you need to take your eyes off the Alien and walk in another direction and having that constant fear of it creeping up behind you. A third person view gives away to much imo.

So it turns out I missed the noisemaker blueprints back in
communications
, and I'm in medical....worth it to back track and get them or should I press on?

oneida

So it turns out I missed the noisemaker blueprints back in
communications
, and I'm in medical....worth it to back track and get them or should I press on?
the noisemaker is real fun to use but flares effectively serve the same purpose

it's probably worth going back as later in the game you'll be exhausted of items

Cool, no rush then I guess. Maybe I'll get them if I ever make it out of the med facility. Chapter 6 is awesome but it's fucking hardddd. I'm stuck on the part where you have to
get the med back for Taylor and then sneak back out with both the humans and alien hunting for you /spoiler]. It would be a lot more manageable if there was a save station right near where you get the med pack, but alas.

So I finally started my Nightmare run last night. Wow. The Alien is so relentless in its search for you, and so much more clever. I was hiding in the vents under the humans at the beginning of mission 7 I believe, when the alien barges in and murders them all. I'm waiting around for 5 minutes for it to leave, when dead silence prevails. Naturally, I'm thinking it went back into the vents... I pull out my motion tracker and it instantly goes insane (meaning it was standing right above me). Uh oh. Hard stomping follows, and then the gate rips open and the Alien joins me under the vents.
Fuck!

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to get lost on the ship at some point towards the end. No working map in this game is rough.

I really like the scarcity of items, though. I've actually had to think about what gadgets I should craft first. Thank you CA for listening to my pleas for a harder mode with less items.

Portman

I finally started playing the game last night and I'm loving it so far. I feel stupid for waiting so long to play it (have had it since release) but I was afraid my PC couldn't run it and then ignored it for other games after I got my new PC. As a big fan of the film this is great so far and it seems like CA are big fans of the setting. I can't wait to dive into the artbook for the game too once I finish it.

oktarb

Can anyone speak to the DLC available? I read in most of the descriptions that a) they are Survival and b) timed. I'm still playing the story line right now so I'm not sure how those work. I'm a tad hesitant as I'm generally against timed scenarios.

oneida

Can anyone speak to the DLC available? I read in most of the descriptions that a) they are Survival and b) timed. I'm still playing the story line right now so I'm not sure how those work. I'm a tad hesitant as I'm generally against timed scenarios.
here ya go

I have a question. Whenever I hold X (on PS4) to hide in a locker or something, my character pops right out again. What's that about? It says "Hold X to hide" but it isn't working?

oneida

I have a question. Whenever I hold X (on PS4) to hide in a locker or something, my character pops right out again. What's that about? It says "Hold X to hide" but it isn't working?
hold X for a second to enter the locker, then release it

Bought this game at release and have slowly been making my way through it this whole time. I barely beat it tonight. Good game but I found that it hardly explained some important game mechanics to the player (or maybe I had forgotten over time). For example, I just learned today that you can hold your breath while inside a locker (though I still don't know how to do it). And I still don't know if the alien will come down from the vents if you walk instead of crouch.

Overall, the game was good, but really long and sometimes frustrating. I never had a problem with the backtracking until something like chapter 17 or 18. There's a part where you have to constantly go back and forth between two rooms in order to restart a generator. Since there's an alien in the vicinity you can't run, either.

Lastly, maybe it was my lack of creativity, but after getting the flamethrower I felt that most other items were worthless, and it really neutered the alien. You didn't really have to worry about being spotted anymore, since you could just whip out the flamethrower and scare it off. At the same time, it provided some much needed relief from frustration, so I can't decide if it was good or bad.

calder

I bought the game on sale a few days ago, just started playing it now.

The visual are AMAZING, can't get over how clean it all looks. I personally love the "old future" style of the gear and UI screens.

Less amazing is what seems to be a game stopping bug 10 minutes in. I'm supposed to talk to that Samuels guy but he won't talk, just kind of ignores me. I restarted the mission and now, instead of holding nothing and miming using a hand held device he... turns to me, says hello, then stands there not speaking. Come on, this is 90's adventure game bug shit. Guess I may as well restart.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bought this game at release and have slowly been making my way through it this whole time. I barely beat it tonight. Good game but I found that it hardly explained some important game mechanics to the player (or maybe I had forgotten over time). For example, I just learned today that you can hold your breath while inside a locker (though I still don't know how to do it). And I still don't know if the alien will come down from the vents if you walk instead of crouch.

Overall, the game was good, but really long and sometimes frustrating. I never had a problem with the backtracking until something like chapter 17 or 18. There's a part where you have to constantly go back and forth between two rooms in order to restart a generator. Since there's an alien in the vicinity you can't run, either.

Lastly, maybe it was my lack of creativity, but after getting the flamethrower I felt that most other items were worthless, and it really neutered the alien. You didn't really have to worry about being spotted anymore, since you could just whip out the flamethrower and scare it off. At the same time, it provided some much needed relief from frustration, so I can't decide if it was good or bad.

You clearly weren't playing the game on hard if you were able to rely on the flamethrower.
On hard, if you use the flamethrower the alien will return and be far more aggressive in searching for you and fuel will be used quickly. On my two hard playthroughs, I always saved my fuel like mad and didn't use it until absolutely necessary, which was usually where the alien was between me and the end of the level. Only on chapter 14 and 17 did I get more liberal with it. Remaining unseen was always the best course of action. Yes, you can walk and the alien won't automatically detect you. I didn't know this until my second playthrough. Walking will make you more visible though obviously, but if you can't see the alien and have no indication that its present then walking is perfectly acceptable.

That's the way the game was meant to be played and it isn't all THAT much harder than normal or even easy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I got the platinum trophy for this game back in Dec. and I rented the Xbox One version to boost my gamerscore.

It was awesome doing my hard run, no deaths, and no killings all in one playthrough. 300 gamerscore points right at the end. 100 for hard, 100 for no deaths, 50 for no killing humans, and 50 for beating the game.

My most recent hard playthrough was actually pretty easy since I knew my way around, exactly where to go, etc. I knew that I could get away with walking when the alien wasn't around which significantly sped things up. The only trouble spots was the beginning of chapter 16 where I had to avoid all the humans and the beginning of chapter 17. Chapter 5 and 6 were ridiculously easy once you know a few of the tricks to avoid the alien and how to exploit some scripted sequences.

Salsa

yeah, just beat this on Hard after getting it on GMG for $13 and I absolutely loved it. At first I thought it dragged a bit but I never really grew tired of it. It ends just right.

havent posted here cause I basically played through it in 3 sittings. Real gripping.

NEO0MJ

For those with the PC version, can you tell me which effects/settings are the most demanding? Trying to get 60 FPS. If I could play at higher settings locked 30FPS I wouldn't mind but there's no option for that unfortunately so the game becomes to jittery.

strafer

yeah, just beat this on Hard after getting it on GMG for $13 and I absolutely loved it. At first I thought it dragged a bit but I never really grew tired of it. It ends just right.

havent posted here cause I basically played through it in 3 sittings. Real gripping.

Im glad you likedit

Hey all, quick question... I just finished the truth mission and I'm wondering how much longer I have left? I know there is 18 missions total but are they all fairly long?

I basically just finished the escape via the airlock after trapping the alien and now I'm on my way to meet the dude who basically tried to kill me

Also I used all my flamethrower ammo on that mission.... I'm playing on hard, and after learning the ropes of the game I'm finding it fairly easy to get through however now that I have no flamethrower ammo is this going to screw me later?

I have to day after initially moving on from this game and coming back to it I'm quite impressed with it. They don't really teach you anything just give you a bunch of tools and let you experiment but now that I have the hang of the mechanics it's really enjoyable. The atmosphere and Story to this point have been top notch
the flashback scene was really great

I actually don't think I've seen the original alien film, I've seen the rest of them but I don't really remember any of them except for Prometheus. I might have to marathon them after beating this great game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I basically just finished the escape via the airlock after trapping the alien and now I'm on my way to meet the dude who basically tried to kill me

Also I used all my flamethrower ammo on that mission.... I'm playing on hard, and after learning the ropes of the game I'm finding it fairly easy to get through however now that I have no flamethrower ammo is this going to screw me later?

I have to day after initially moving on from this game and coming back to it I'm quite impressed with it. They don't really teach you anything just give you a bunch of tools and let you experiment but now that I have the hang of the mechanics it's really enjoyable. The atmosphere and Story to this point have been top notch
the flashback scene was really great

I actually don't think I've seen the original alien film, I've seen the rest of them but I don't really remember any of them except for Prometheus. I might have to marathon them after beating this great game.

On hard it is ALWAYS a good idea to save your flamethrower fuel unless absolutely necessary. Stealth is a much and I do mean much better option. I often found restarting a checkpoint was better than wasting flamethrower fuel.

Having said that, you are not screwed, but save as much as possible for chapter 17.

On hard it is ALWAYS a good idea to save your flamethrower fuel unless absolutely necessary. Stealth is a much and I do mean much better option. I often found restarting a checkpoint was better than wasting flamethrower fuel.

Having said that, you are not screwed, but save as much as possible for chapter 17.

It just felt like I had so much and I was being goated into using it... By the end of the mission though I had used the last bit of ammo to get into the airlock lol.

heringer

2~3 hours into the game. Looks gorgeous!

Survived my first encounter with the xenomorph. The humans were way harder (that part was terrible, wow).

Is there a cue to know he is gone? Like, does the music stop or something? I passed the level but when I reached the elevator the music was still on but he was nowhere in sight.

Also, can he appear out of nowhere and kill you without the game giving clues that he is around? Can it appear in a setpiece already knowing where you are?

frontovik

Banned
There are a few scripted moments when the Alien will appear, otherwise you'll have to pay close attention to the audio cues to know when it's lurking around.

It's actually not that subtle with its movements as you can hear it moving around in the vents. You'll know when it's on the ground.

2~3 hours into the game. Looks gorgeous!

Survived my first encounter with the xenomorph. The humans were way harder (that part was terrible, wow).

Is there a cue to know he is gone? Like, does the music stop or something? I passed the level but when I reached the elevator the music was still on but he was nowhere in sight.

Also, can he appear out of nowhere and kill you without the game giving clues that he is around? Can it appear in a setpiece already knowing where you are?
Usually the music will stop or settle down a bit when it is gone. The Motion Tracker is your best friend once you get it so be sure to use it constantly. You'll see the blip leave the screen when it leaves the area and you're good to go.

There are setpieces and key moments where it will always show up and most times it will be in the same room where you are or right nearby. As long as you're quiet and out of sight, you'll be fine. Make sure to construct plenty of noise makers and such to distract it.

heringer

Thanks! Two more questions:

The places it will appear are random, right? Can't I exploit this by reloading the game until is doesn't show up?

How do I throw the flare?

Kindekuma

Banned
I started my Nightmare run of A:I after completing it on Normal a few weeks back. I didn't really check WHAT specifically changes from Normal to Nightmare other than the enemy AI is beyond extreme brutal.

I miss the map and the broken motion tracker ain't helping either.
I'M NOT CONFIDENT IN THIS MISSION AT ALL GUYS. Tempted to just start in hard.

Ghazi

I started my Nightmare run of A:I after completing it on Normal a few weeks back. I didn't really check WHAT specifically changes from Normal to Nightmare other than the enemy AI is beyond extreme brutal.

I miss the map and the broken motion tracker ain't helping either.
I'M NOT CONFIDENT IN THIS MISSION AT ALL GUYS. Tempted to just start in hard.

I've started my first playthrough ever of the game on Nightmare, still barely any progression lol. You can do it!

Top Bottom