• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Chapter 14 spoilers
I was not ready for two aliens.

0438_vqksa.gif

d00d3n

The game seems to have a lot of aliasing on some visual elements (for example, computer screens) even when running dsr from 4k down to 1080p. Why is this? The ordered grid super sampling fails on the many rectangular shapes in the game? Any solution to the aliasing problem?

Is the DLC season pass worth it? Thinking of grabbing on steam sale for $7.50. I really enjoyed this game. Are the survivor maps essentially the same gameplay just new areas and objectives and such?

frontovik

Banned
Is the DLC season pass worth it? Thinking of grabbing on steam sale for $7.50. I really enjoyed this game. Are the survivor maps essentially the same gameplay just new areas and objectives and such?

I expected a more refined single-player experience with dialogue & plot elements. Unfortunately, the Season Pass failed to provide that.

They are essentially maps where you have to achieve certain objectives before the timer runs out. You don't get to interact with any characters or find out more about the history of Sevastopol .

Man, people were saying chapter 3 is the real starting scare point.
That crap was easy once you get the air filter's to provide a smoke screen for you.

I just got to chapter 5 and man is that part frustrating, I was up all night trying to get past it.
I got to the area to get the doctor's keycard
then I got spotted in the hallway updating my map. The worst is when you can't see him on the tracker and turn a corner only to see him 20 feet away staring at you
merchant.png

I'm thinking I might have to use some noisemakers.......

Pretty far in but I don't know what chapter I'm on exactly at the moment, I'm right after the part where
you try to seal in the xeno in the stairwell
, chapter 5 and 6 are by far the most tense missions in the game for me so far.

frontovik

Banned
Pretty far in but I don't know what chapter I'm on exactly at the moment, I'm right after the part where
you try to seal in the xeno in the stairwell
, chapter 5 and 6 are by far the most tense missions in the game for me so far.

The most tense mission is yet to come ... :p I'd rate the terror level similar to the Medical Ward.

The most tense mission is yet to come ... :p I'd rate the terror level similar to the Medical Ward.

Ya I beat chapter 10 last night......... man how that section mimic'd
the end scene from the first alien was absolutely amazing. I'm kind of happy to get a bit of a breather though after that, just finished chapter 12 and I'm on 13 now.

I hope I can get some more flamer fuel though because I wasted a whole bunch on chap 10.

Chapter 14 spoilers
I was not ready for two aliens.

0438_vqksa.gif

I just reached this part and I don't know if I have the nerve to get through it without a
pulse rifle.
I did NOT expect that this was gonna get Aliens.

It's too bad Gearbox fucked it up for everyone cause Creative Assembly has definitely shown they can do this franchise justice.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just reached this part and I don't know if I have the nerve to get through it without a
pulse rifle.
I did NOT expect that this was gonna get Aliens.

It's too bad Gearbox fucked it up for everyone cause Creative Assembly has definitely shown they can do this franchise justice.

Nope. That doesnt happen. Feel is still the same.

Nope. That doesnt happen. Feel is still the same.

It definitely felt different for me in chapter 14
when I was in the lower core and discovered the hive, after seeing the cocooned bodies and the eggs you realize that it went from a one Xeno ordeal to god knows how many. The motion tracker lights up like Aliens with movement all over the place. To me that part felt very Hadley's Hope like.

Also the volumetric lighting in this game never ceases to amaze me O_O

I have a question, I am at Mission 5.

Is it normal that the Alien has not started to actively stalk me yet? I mean, I did come across it while overriding the lockdown when you first see the Alien but it never appeared outside of that (with one exception being it slaughtering the scavengers before I went into Comms to contact the Torrens (IIRC this was right after getting the tracker and mission 3 or 4)). Is my install of the game jacked or does it appear after I get into Morley's office? (Checked some gameplay vieeos on YouTube but I am still unsure)

I only hear the occasional beep from the motion tracker but iit has bever appeared so far.

frontovik

Banned
I have a question, I am at Mission 5.

Is it normal that the Alien has not started to actively stalk me yet? I mean, I did come across it while overriding the lockdown when you first see the Alien but it never appeared outside of that (with one exception being it slaughtering the scavengers before I went into Comms to contact the Torrens (IIRC this was right after getting the tracker and mission 3 or 4)). Is my install of the game jacked or does it appear after I get into Morley's office? (Checked some gameplay vieeos on YouTube but I am still unsure)

I only hear the occasional beep from the motion tracker but iit has bever appeared so far.

It starts hunting you when you arrive at the Medical Ward. You can provoke it before then by throwing flares everywhere and banging the station with your wrench. That will get its attention.

It starts hunting you when you arrive at the Medical Ward. You can provoke it before then by throwing flares everywhere and banging the station with your wench. That will get its attention.

I see, thanks.

edit: Started the game after posting this, 2 minutes later the Alien drops down. O_O

This game is every bit as stressful as everyone says it is, and then some.

I got this game more for the art design and its "get the hell out of derelict space station" premise which I LOVE rather than the Alien. I am actually pretty bad handling horror and I play in short bursts (can't handle much more). Despite that, I really liked that five minutes I played against the Alien- It was exhilerating in a way that I had not predicted at all.

Also this one moment where I was hiding behind a counter and the Alien came so near there was nothing between us at one point except a meter's distance... it turned and went away. Amazing.

Now for nine more hours of this... :D

Finally finished this last night, the real
final boss imo was that stupid long ass hallway in chapter 17 that you had to go through THREE TIMES where you had to restart the generator to open a door.

I loved the game but god that part was freaking brutal.

Jobbs

Banned
Good to see people still playing this game and posting in the thread. I loved this game dearly; While imperfect, there has never been another game quite like it, and I love bold design, especially bold design in an AAA game, which is practically unheard of.

Was my GOTY 2014.

Good to see people still playing this game and posting in the thread. I loved this game dearly; While imperfect, there has never been another game quite like it, and I love bold design, especially bold design in an AAA game, which is practically unheard of.

Was my GOTY 2014.

Mine too. And I think it's great being subscribed to this thread and see someone new post their first time impressions every now and then.

It's very rare for me to like a game so much that I call myself a fan, but this one I do.

^I think one thing that goes slightly unnoticed with the game is how incredibly well optimized it is on PC. It runs and looks great even on low to mid range gfx cards and rigs.

I'd say my favorite mission though would have to be
the nest underneath the power core with the emergency separation sequence a close second. The nest was so damn tense and it was the one part that felt more Aliens than Alien with it's Hadley's Hope vibe when the marines discovered the hive. The face huggers also added a different element because you HAD to kill them and you knew that once you did a Xeno would come to investigate so you had to scramble for a hiding spot or prepare to fend him off. I'm surprised there was a no chest burster scene in that section, it felt like a slight missed opportunity even though it's been done countless times. It was kind of weird that those two set pieces were much stronger than anything that was done for the late game.

edit: I also really hope that Creative Assembly gets a chance at a sequel. I know the sales weren't great but I'm hoping that maybe if the new Alien movie Blomkamp is doing goes smoothly maybe fox will work to have a videogame coincide with it's release.

I know the sales weren't great but I'm hoping that maybe if the new Alien movie Blomkamp is doing goes smoothly maybe fox will work to have a videogame coincide with it's release.

There is.... a... new... Alien... movie? (Still gotta watch Resurrection, watched the other three)

I also really hope that Creative Assembly gets a chance at a sequel

Alien: INSULATION

In space, no one can hear you lose heat.

ThisOne

Chapter 10 is kinda bugging me. I think I'm right at the end of it. Every time I try to open this door with the plasma torch, the alien gets me from behind. Not sure how to stop it from happening.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Chapter 10 is kinda bugging me. I think I'm right at the end of it. Every time I try to open this door with the plasma torch, the alien gets me from behind. Not sure how to stop it from happening.

Lure the alien away with a flare or noisemaker. Thats one part where you have to say "fuck it" and just hope the alien doesn't see you.

What you may want to do is after you unlock to return to the save station so you dont have to keep doing that.

Give it to me straight.

I cannot get past this room on the difficulty setting described as the "intended" Alien experience. This seems to be the first actual gameplay segment of the entire game. Should I throw in the towel and play on easy?

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...976/A8719A8A637679C2334643E1FF360E9DAA7917FE/

I've failed this about half a dozen times.

Took me a few tries on Normal. Remember you can use the Maintenance Jack to kill. Use LB (don't know other inputs) to peek to make sure there are no humans around. Always crouch while moving and you don't have to be in a locker or under a table to avoid being seen.

Edit:
Finished the first Ward mission (CH5) and then bumped the difficulty to Hard the next level. Damn, that climate control part took me a few tries. My first time, I managed to get as far as the rewire but since it didn't appear at all until then, walked out of the room without checking the tracker or anything, and the bugger was waiting right there. Another time, I tried to use a noisemaker but was caught eventually. Once, I was in a locker and looked at the tracker only to realize that a dot was coming toward me, full speed. The Alien dropped right in front of me and went into Climate Control. Whew.

Kindekuma

Banned
Took me a few tries on Normal. Remember you can use the Maintenance Jack to kill. Use LB (don't know other inputs) to peek to make sure there are no humans around. Always crouch while moving and you don't have to be in a locker or under a table to avoid being seen.

Pretty much this. You can always use flares to create distractions, but using that as a club take people out works as well.

Currently playing the game through with a friend of mine, we're gonna continue this evening. Took this cool shot of my led lit TV and "HAL 9000" like Kinect, thought it looked right for the game.

dsc_0126rxlsi.jpg

Me: "Xbox, kill the Alien."
Kinect: "I'm sorry, ResidentDante. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Give it to me straight.

I cannot get past this room on the difficulty setting described as the "intended" Alien experience. This seems to be the first actual gameplay segment of the entire game. Should I throw in the towel and play on easy?

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...976/A8719A8A637679C2334643E1FF360E9DAA7917FE/

What are you having trouble with?

Currently playing the game through with a friend of mine, we're gonna continue this evening. Took this cool shot of my led lit TV and "HAL 9000" like Kinect, thought it looked right for the game
That looks awesome.

Currently playing the game through with a friend of mine, we're gonna continue this evening. Took this cool shot of my led lit TV and "HAL 9000" like Kinect, thought it looked right for the game.

"HAL, open the door to Seegson Comms!"

"I'm sorry Ripley, I'm afraid I can't do that."

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Give it to me straight.

There is actually a ridiculously easy way to do that part even on Nightmare.

Im not going to spoilertag since its so early in the game.
Once you get to the broken elevator and pick up the device that you need to repair, that will trigger the humans to enter that area, what you do is quickly walk (DONT RUN) up to the stairs on the right (right when you are FACING the elevator). There will be a shipping crate up there. It's simple just crouch behind that crate and stay crouched until the humans pass. The humans will walk past you but they will not see you, then you just stay crouched as you continue to the area you need to get to. You may see one human, but once you go through the door you need to go through, they will not follow you.

Draft

There is actually a ridiculously easy way to do that part even on Nightmare.

Im not going to spoilertag since its so early in the game.
Once you get to the broken elevator and pick up the device that you need to repair, that will trigger the humans to enter that area, what you do is quickly walk (DONT RUN) up to the stairs on the right (right when you are FACING the elevator). There will be a shipping crate up there. It's simple just crouch behind that crate and stay crouched until the humans pass. The humans will walk past you but they will not see you, then you just stay crouched as you continue to the area you need to get to. You may see one human, but once you go through the door you need to go through, they will not follow you.
First, I am playing on the difficulty just below Nightmare. It's described as the intended Alien experience.

As the rule of getting good at videogames demands: whining about that section on the internet was the precursor to me defeating that section shortly afterwards. I am now several hours past it, still on the second hardest difficulty, and really enjoying the game.

What made it very hard for me was running all the way out to where I took the screenshot after getting the radio tuner. I needed to sneak through a fairly wide open room with armed guards covering the high ground on opposite walls and another guard patrolling through the lower floor. A difficult challenge in any stealth game, and I found the stealth in Alien to be particularly unforgiving.

Sneaking around is fun and having spent hours avoiding robots and the alien I find Ripley is pretty powerful. Detecting enemies with the motion tracker is quick and accurate. The game provides plenty of other visual and audio cues to danger. The crafted weapons are all pretty dang strong and building resources are generously placed. The alien still gets me every once in a while mostly by exploding out of a vent directly in front of where I'm standing.

But that first encounter is really hard! I came close to giving up entirely. Tossing me into the deep end isn't how most AAA games introduce themselves. My frustration was partly about differing expectations. When I fire up some AAA garbage it's to relax, sit back, and just hold forward and attack for a few hours. Alien expected me to get through a pretty difficult situation right after the tutorial. Games being challenging is something to appreciate, but in my opinion the pacing here is a bit off.

Also, wow, this game looks amazing and runs 60 hertz on my old as dirt computer with a 750ti. Very impressed.

The Alien doesn't go easy on you, ever. Also I think the reason stealth is made tough is because unlike pretty much almost all stealth/horror games, you can't run away from the main antagonist one it notices you.

Also I found a very interesting tidbit about the motion tracker that made the game ten times easier:
On the lower left corner, there is a number that displays the Alien's distance from you. You can judge whether the Alien is coming closer to you or going farther away via this as well.

edit:

Are there any achievements/unlocks related to dificulty? I upped the difficulty from Normal to Hard partway through.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Alien doesn't go easy on you, ever. Also I think the reason stealth is made tough is because unlike pretty much almost all stealth/horror games, you can't run away from the main antagonist one it notices you.

Also I found a very interesting tidbit about the motion tracker that made the game ten times easier:
On the lower left corner, there is a number that displays the Alien's distance from you. You can judge whether the Alien is coming closer to you or going farther away via this as well.

edit:

Are there any achievements/unlocks related to dificulty? I upped the difficulty from Normal to Hard partway through.

Yes, you get a trophy for completing it on hard.

First, I am playing on the difficulty just below Nightmare. It's described as the intended Alien experience.

But that first encounter is really hard! I came close to giving up entirely. Tossing me into the deep end isn't how most AAA games introduce themselves. My frustration was partly about differing expectations. When I fire up some AAA garbage it's to relax, sit back, and just hold forward and attack for a few hours. Alien expected me to get through a pretty difficult situation right after the tutorial. Games being challenging is something to appreciate, but in my opinion the pacing here is a bit off.
So you're playing on Hard mode then right? It is definitely the recommended setting to play the game on. It nails the tension.

Also, on the bold, Isolation is not some AAA garbage. It's meant to be a challenging survival game. I played through on Hard my first time and found that room to be decent. Honestly, if you feel that way already just because that one room was a challenge, you may as well back out now because the game only gets more challenging from there. When more enemies start to show up and areas where the Alien is constantly walking around in close proximity to you, the game can be unforgiving if you make one small mistake.

It's meant to always be testing you and I loved the game for that. I also thought the pacing was just fine for a majority of the game.

Yes. There's an achievement for completing the game on the hardest difficulty.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So you're playing on Hard mode then right? It is definitely the recommended setting to play the game on. It nails the tension.

Also, on the bold, Isolation is not some AAA garbage. It's meant to be a challenging survival game. I played through on Hard my first time and found that room to be decent. Honestly, if you feel that way already just because that one room was a challenge, you may as well back out now because the game only gets more challenging from there. When more enemies start to show up and areas where the Alien is constantly walking around in close proximity to you, the game can be unforgiving if you make one small mistake.

It's meant to always be testing you and I loved the game for that. I also thought the pacing was just fine for a majority of the game.

Yes. There's an achievement for completing the game on the hardest difficulty.
I think the mistake people make with this game is either they try to approach it like CoD OR they try to play it TOO carefully and are always waiting for the perfect moment when in this game there is no such thing.

What people don't realize is that the game actually encourages you to take chances and that more often than not the best option is to say "fuck it" and just go and always always always be on the move. Once you figure that out, the difficulty decreases immeasurably.

Hystzen

I'm playing this on my girlfriends Xbox 360 and I'm upto medical ward but wondering are the doors meant to take fucking forever to open in this area. I noticed it before and brushed it off to a loading issue as it last gen.

Playing on hard if that affects anything

Example I got to place where see the doctors timetable on wall so I throw a noisemaker to the left room and duck behind table as alien runs to noisemaker. I run to door it just came through and I'm just sat waiting for ages for door to open. By time it does noisemaker has been used and my cuddly big friend is behind me wanting a hug. It starting to irritate me and I been loving game so much going buy myself a copy for PS4 just wondering if same door issues going pop up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm playing this on my girlfriends Xbox 360 and I'm upto medical ward but wondering are the doors meant to take fucking forever to open in this area. I noticed it before and brushed it off to a loading issue as it last gen.

Playing on hard if that affects anything

Example I got to place where see the doctors timetable on wall so I throw a noisemaker to the left room and duck behind table as alien runs to noisemaker. I run to door it just came through and I'm just sat waiting for ages for door to open. By time it does noisemaker has been used and my cuddly big friend is behind me wanting a hug. It starting to irritate me and I been loving game so much going buy myself a copy for PS4 just wondering if same door issues going pop up.
You don't even need to be in that room unless you are interested in collecribles

Any tips for Mission 6?

Got the trauma kit after, like, 10 tries. I then made it as far as nearly returning through the keycard door but the Alien came out of there, killing me. I'm about to go mad, haha. There is no save point closer to the operating theater than the one right before the keycard door, right?

frontovik

Banned
Any tips for Mission 6?

Got the trauma kit after, like, 10 tries. I then made it as far as nearly returning through the keycard door but the Alien came out of there, killing me. I'm about to go mad, haha. There is no save point closer to the operating theater than the one right before the keycard door, right?

IIRC, there should be a save point in the room where you restart the generator to access the Departure Bay. Just keep moving while staying crouched. Also be mindful of the Alien drool coming from the ceiling, since it likes to hide in the vents in the Trauma Ward.

IIRC, there should be a save point in the room where you restart the generator to access the Departure Bay. Just keep moving while staying crouched. Also be mindful of the Alien drool coming from the ceiling, since it likes to hide in the vents in the Trauma Ward.

Just reached that part and I am about to go fucking nuts.

Edit: Did it and even progressed a bit on the next mission, feeling like a superhero lol

Top Bottom