• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Not really a fan of the Alien movies but this game seems to be really good. Will wait for reviews and gaffers thoughts.

Also, someone mentioned the main character was introduced in Aliens? Does that mean she knows about the Xenomorphs?

Are there any lengthy gameplay clips for this game out there besides the one by pewdiepew(sorry, I just can't stomach him)? I really wanna be sold on it.

EGM1966

This is the first game I've pre-ordered in ages. I love Alien (first film) and like the second and just couldn't resist. Good or bad I want to experiece how it stacks up and how well the Alien functions.

Also I'd buy it just to walk around the incredible environments which to my amazement seem to channel Alien set design better than Scott himself managed (and he did a great job set design there if nothing else). I love they seem to have committed to the monitors and the like which even Ridley skipped as a nod to the passage of time and expectation. It looks like a game that could have come out right after the film if the tech was there at the time and I love that.

Derpcrawler

My body is ready:

TmM7TzG.png

Also, Crew Expendable is not on disc it seems, pre-order DLC is ~580MB.

iLJmsUOG0l8DJ.gif

Oh cool, thanks for using my subtitle :) Cool OT.

I think this game will be divisive. I feel like I'll probably love the shit out of it, but others might not like that it's a proper stealth game and the AI is unpredictable so the amount of deaths coupled with no auto save (manual save stations) will have people frustrated.

Sevenfold

I think this game will be divisive. I feel like I'll probably love the shit out of it, but others might not like that it's a proper stealth game and the AI is unpredictable so the amount of deaths coupled with no auto save (manual save stations) will have people frustrated.

All sounds good to me. Can't wait.

So what movies should I watch to get prepped? Where does this fit in the timeline? I have the Alien Blu-Ray box set, so I might just watch them all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So what movies should I watch to get prepped? Where does this fit in the timeline? I have the Alien Blu-Ray box set, so I might just watch them all.

This fits between the first and second movie. You're fine watching the first one and then playing the game.

DieH@rd

Banned

All you need is Alien 1. In that movie Ripley mentioned that she had a young daughter back home, and by the time Ripley woke up from cryosleep in Aliens, her daughter died from old age [or at least that was what WY representative told her so]. This game is set ~20 years after Alien, with Elen Ripley's daughter trying to find out how and why her mother disappeared.

Derpcrawler

Wait, what? You haven't watched a single Alien movie with first 2 being one of the best in Sci-Fi movie selection of all time? Is this real life?

Go and watch first and second one, others start to decline quality wise after that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AMD promo is giving me a free key on PC. Hope it comes before launch and qualifies for the nostrumo bonus content.

Going to rewatch alien this weekend

Green Yoshi

The ultimate trial&error game. A really frustrating experience for me. But I think that the gamplay can feel very motivating as well. I have no idea how representative the gamescom demo was.

Is the Alien AI the same on all four consoles?

S1kkZ

start with alien 1 (the theatrical version! dont start with the directors cut), thats all you need for isolation. but you should watch aliens (the special edition/directors cut, its the better version), its a fantastic film.

All you need is Alien 1. In that movie Ripley mentioned that she had a young daughter back home, and by the time Ripley woke up from cryosleep in Aliens, her daughter died from old age [or at least that was what WY representative told her so]. This game is set ~20 years after Alien, with Elen Ripley's daughter trying to find out how and why her mother disappeared.

I don't recall Ripley's daughter being mentioned in Alien, and I've watched that film many times.

What scene is this supposed to have happened in?

So ummm, I have to ask. From the screenshots in this thread, it kinda looks like the synthetics are gonna look rather artificial and inhuman. I'm just wondering how come? Both Ash and Bishop in the first two movies looked completely human and life-like.

Vidpixel

iLJmsUOG0l8DJ.gif

Oh cool, thanks for using my subtitle :) Cool OT.

It looks like it literally pops out of thin air. I've been watching this gif for several minutes now trying to figure it out lol.

EGM1966

I would just watch the first as this game is heavily based on that for tone and approach. You need to be aware though that in the second film the idea Ripley had a daughter is presented. If I remember rightly early drafts of Alien conveyed this but it didn't make it through to the final cut (not even sure if scenes were shot about it).

However I wouldn't watch the second film until afterwards as while great it takes a totally different approach in terms of combat that is at odds with the approach of Isolation.

In short Alien Isolation is really focused on using the first for reference but lifting the info from second about Ripley's daughter to furnish your character.

Also don't watch the director's cut of Alien - that's a deceptive title. Ridley Scott makes clear the theatrical cut is the preference cut (and it is the better version). The director's cut is really fan service where he cut in some long desired cut scenes for the fans - however the original cut remains superior.

What really blows me away about this game is the lighting and the smoke/steam. It is just amazing. I kinda feel like it is the best interior lighting i have ever seen in a game.

S1kkZ

So ummm, I have to ask. From the screenshots in this thread, it kinda looks like the synthetics are gonna look rather artificial and inhuman. I'm just wondering how come? Both Ash and Bishop in the first two movies looked completely human and life-like.

the androids are from a weyland-yutani competitor, which is 10-20 years behind in development. thats why they look so different.

I would like to take this chance to thank Based God AMD for allowing me to play this game for $0.99. Hope it's good, but if not, shit it was $0.99.

Not sure if I should go PS4 or PC with this. I feel like I should buy games on my PS4 while they're still relatively close to the visual quality offered on PC, but I was pretty disappointed with how sluggish Shadow of Mordor feels due to it's unlocked 60fps that seemingly hovers in the low 30's most of the time.

So that little blurb from Weyland Yutani in the OP of the OT, is that actually real media from the game or the website?

I ask because it has some interesting implications, mostly that we might get to go on the surface and visit the Derelict space craft.

But wait a minute, so the location of Sevestopol is literally right outside LV426? And the person that contacted Ripley on Weyland Yutani's behalf is actually someone with the last name Hadley? That's a bit on the nose if they are doing what I think they are doing storywise, Guy who founded Hadley's Hope, haha, we get it. I kinda like it though, and the intro was amazing.

It also implies that Weyland Yutani knew that the Derelict was on LV426, even though they willingly put a colony there(in the future), not to mention it was a huge threat to the colonists.

I think it also implies we might get a level or at least a glimpse of the original Derelict again, I mean just imagine a level on that thing! It would be so fucking radical, especially since these guys would probably model it exactly like the original movie and probably go off old artwork to kind of create new nightmarish areas for the ship.
Imagine exploring that thing...ugh, it probably won't happen it is too much of a wasted opportunity usually when it comes to the Alien IP.

Too bad I won't be able to play this because I have no money and no job, I already scavenged the entire house for change and borrowed some money to get Shadow of Mordor.

Fady K

Yeah man, i don't know how many times i always wanted a game like this to play :)
*giggles*

Aliens Colonial Marines is a fun game (fuck all the haters,lol),
but i really wanted to get to the roots for what i loved about ALIEN in general.
The Horror.
The Presence.
The Alien.

*shivers*

Especially... Tom Skerritts scene, the sense of horror of being stalked by a creature through the vents. The eerie sound from the vents closing, to not knowing left or right, above or below it coming from.

I'll actually be playing through Aliens vs Predator and Aliens Colonial Marines for the first time before Alien Isolation. Interesting to see someone enjoyed Aliens CM, gives me a tiny bit of hope!

I love the same stuff you mentioned about the Alien franchise, man that scene is one of the best I've seen in a film. The entire film holds up incredibly well 35 years later. Masterpiece.

To be honest I'm still shocked that we are getting such an alien game. Stuff of dreams for us fans.

I caught a stream for about an hour earlier on Live From Playstation (before the user was banned) and it looked....ehhh. It was scripted to the nines and the VA and diaoluge wasn't hot. Also there are third person cutscenes which I thought was odd.

I would just watch the first as this game is heavily based on that for tone and approach. You need to be aware though that in the second film the idea Ripley had a daughter is presented. If I remember rightly early drafts of Alien conveyed this but it didn't make it through to the final cut (not even sure if scenes were shot about it).

It was shot, it's in the Directors cut of Aliens:

** Do not watch if you have not seen the Alien films yet, don't want to spoil anything prior to anyone seeing it **
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPItoMfPHLQ

Kezen

Banned
I wish Alien Isolation to be the new Batman Arkham Asylum. Taking the video game world by storm while everyone anticipated a disaster.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
As a big fan of the franchise, I really want this to be good. One of the few games I'm keeping an eye out for this month

killatopak

How is the gameplay?

How are you meant to fight a single Alien? Is this like Walking dead or something that is less actioney and more story based?

S1kkZ

How is the gameplay?

How are you meant to fight a single Alien? Is this like Walking dead or something that is less actioney and more story based?

you run and/or hide. your weapons only scare the alien off for a few seconds, you cant kill it.

How is the gameplay?

This is a stealth game, I expect the story progression won't be like Walking Dead which is more about character interactions and here I wouldn't expect as much. There are other humans but they can be hostile and you can back away much like I Am Alive without getting shot. There are also androids, who can either not bother with you or try to end you.

You can try to whack an Alien with a wrench, although they won't take kindly to it.

If you use a flamethrower, you can survive one hit, but then you gotta leg it.

You can use distractions like noisemakers or flares to make it go to a specific place while you head down another route, however the alien will learn to stop being impressed with those things and will seek out the source of where they were thrown from. You can also direct the Alien to take care of some humans if they're a bother.

ibUAbhfM9INWO.gif

Top Bottom