• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Linconan

I'll actually be playing through Aliens vs Predator and Aliens Colonial Marines for the first time before Alien Isolation. Interesting to see someone enjoyed Aliens CM, gives me a tiny bit of hope!
The only thing "i" hated from Aliens Colonial Marines, is it's reception it got pre-release, especially here on GAF unfortunately. People were hating on it without even played it and/or because of the Walk like a Dinosaur Alien gif without even knowing the context of the gif.
It's by no means a "great" game, just fun to play and have a game set in the Alien Universe, than just the usual standard clones from games generally released. imo

And,.. the Aliens are cannon fodder, don't expect an Alien Isolation level of AI.
If it moves, shoot it.
Multiplayer was unfortunately wasted, sloppy and misdirected imo. Wasn't "my" priority.

Like with all franchises, some titles don't measure up to previous/original pieces.
But luckily i'm very tolerate to things i love :) lol

And now with ALIEN: Isolation.
I have not one fear about it...
..well expect maybe a 9 foot tall Alien stalking me. lolol

This IS going to be GREAT!
And i'm actually liking the reception/reactions from people i've seen playing the game.

sorry for the ramble, but this is "my" most anticipated game.
*breathes*

Seanspeed

Banned
I would like to take this chance to thank Based God AMD for allowing me to play this game for $0.99. Hope it's good, but if not, shit it was $0.99.
I paid $15 for it(and two other games) with the same AMD deal, so am not gonna cry if it isn't great, either. But I really, really want it to be. Watched Event Horizon a couple weeks back and have really been itching to play this since.

Also, have you got your key yet? Still waiting on mine.

strafer

Jonesy you say?

jonesyxyc38.gif

I've been following this game for quite awhile hoping to hear more positive changes to the gameplay. Instead, I see previews like this:

gamrreview said:
It's possible that Sega chose the worst possible mission and mission parameters to showcase, but nonetheless this is what they were showing to gamers and the gaming press, and it was enough to put me off the title. The level in question was a survival mission, which offers bonuses for successfully completing certain challenges (such as not using a radar or finding extras), but the gameplay on display here was ordinary at best.

One of the game's more promising-sounding gameplay elements is adaptive AI - the Alien AI is supposed to adapt based on how you play. Unfortunately, if the demo is anything to go by, this really isn't all it's billed to be; in fact I didn't notice a single instance of the AI altering its behaviour during my time with the game.

If you die, for example, you can keep re-trying until you discover the optimum sequence of events - once you discover that you can do it over and over again with your eyes closed. If the demo is indicative of the final gameplay in this respect then I am definitely worried, as it feels staid and simplistic.

No no no no. This is it. I was already weary about that CVG "monster-closet" AI revelation and that right there placed the final nail in the coffin. This isn't a sandbox approach as I hoped it would be, but an illusion that literally bottlenecks your playstyle the way developers forces you to. *Sigh* Not only will this prove extremely tedious in the long run, there is just no rewarding justification for experimenting since the AI essentially rubberbands each time you head to a new section.

Tomeru

Why associate the trash that is Aliens with a game based around Alien?

Excuse me, what? Trash? Aliens is an amazingly amazing alien action movie, with some of the most remembered scenes and pictures ever. It's a fitting alien movie in the series.

Wow, I didn't realize it was releasing that soon.

We're bound to have a good Alien game eventually right? It could very well be this one.

Jobbs

Banned
Why associate the trash that is Aliens with a game based around Alien?

Alien and Aliens are, IMO, the only good movies in the entire series. (Unless you count Prometheus, which sorta is.)

And yeah, Aliens was great, it is an all time classic full of iconic ideas and imagery that have rippled through all media since.

Jack cw

Played about 2 hours yesterday on PS4 and its pretty great so far. Atmosphere is incredible and the sound design is perfect so far. Plays pretty well too and the framerate appears to be locked at 30. Haven't noticed any dip below. Only thing thats annoying are the FMVs. They tend to stutter or judder as if they were running with 24 fps or something (at least the initial sequence). Might have to do something with the options, I dont know. Reminds me of the first Condemend somehow, that I consider one of the best horror/survival games in recent years.

Jobbs

Banned
Played about 2 hours yesterday on PS4 and its pretty great so far. Atmosphere is incredible and the sound design is perfect so far. Plays pretty well too and the framerate appears to be locked at 30. Haven't noticed any dip below. Only thing thats annoying are the FMVs. They tend to stutter or judder as if they were running with 24 fps or something (at least the initial sequence). Might have to do something with the options, I dont know. Reminds me of the first Condemend somehow, that I consider one of the best horror/survival games in recent years.

I have some pulse elites -- I plan to play this (and evil within, for that matter) with those things on, at 3am, alone, everything cranked and with a dark house. I want to be transported!

This is a stealth game, I expect the story progression won't be like Walking Dead which is more about character interactions and here I wouldn't expect as much. There are other humans but they can be hostile and you can back away much like I Am Alive without getting shot. There are also androids, who can either not bother with you or try to end you.

You can try to whack an Alien with a wrench, although they won't take kindly to it.

If you use a flamethrower, you can survive one hit, but then you gotta leg it.

You can use distractions like noisemakers or flares to make it go to a specific place while you head down another route, however the alien will learn to stop being impressed with those things and will seek out the source of where they were thrown from. You can also direct the Alien to take care of some humans if they're a bother.

ibUAbhfM9INWO.gif
Somehow this GIF just seems wrong. Are those androids or humans? If second, I do not really like the reaction of the incoming Alien by them.

I am still on the fence with this title: I want to buy it at Day 1 just to support the risk, Sega took. But on the other hand, I don't have much money these days and tons of other titles are coming. A counter argument is that this game simply looks fantastic in regards to art direction, sound design and gameplay.

Bust Nak

No no no no. This is it. I was already weary about that CVG "monster-closet" AI revelation and that right there placed the final nail in the coffin. This isn't a sandbox approach as I hoped it would be, but an illusion that literally bottlenecks your playstyle the way developers forces you to. *Sigh* Not only will this prove extremely tedious in the long run, there is just no rewarding justification for experimenting since the AI essentially rubberbands each time you head to a new section.
The EGX live lets play says otherwise, all the speed runners died on stage while trying to duplicate their optimum run.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't think I've ever wanted a game to be good more than I do with this.

In theory this is what I've been waiting to play for as long as I've been playing games. The idea behind it is perfect, to me.

Hopefully it turns out good. The 3 times I queued up to play the small section at the Eurogamer Expo give me a lot of hope that it will be.

Fady K

The only thing "i" hated from Aliens Colonial Marines, is it's reception it got pre-release, especially here on GAF unfortunately. People were hating on it without even played it and/or because of the Walk like a Dinosaur Alien gif without even knowing the context of the gif.
It's by no means a "great" game, just fun to play and have a game set in the Alien Universe, than just the usual standard clones from games generally released. imo

And,.. the Aliens are cannon fodder, don't expect an Alien Isolation level of AI.
If it moves, shoot it.
Multiplayer was unfortunately wasted, sloppy and misdirected imo. Wasn't "my" priority.

Like with all franchises, some titles don't measure up to previous/original pieces.
But luckily i'm very tolerate to things i love :) lol

And now with ALIEN: Isolation.
I have not one fear about it...
..well expect maybe a 9 foot tall Alien stalking me. lolol

This IS going to be GREAT!
And i'm actually liking the reception/reactions from people i've seen playing the game.

sorry for the ramble, but this is "my" most anticipated game.
*breathes*

Interesting, i'm warming up to playing it even more now, thanks.

How is the DLC for the game by the way? I'm thinking of picking it up after beating Colonial Marines as I'm very much into story-based DLC even when they aren't that good.

Btw, I too am very tolerant to things I love :D It is also one of my most anticipated games - ever. Can't wait!

IcyEyes

Can't wait for this game. I'm an huge "Alien/s" fan and for what I tried so far, this is the game I waited for ages.
I hope the final game will deliver an awesome experience, and yes I will not care *at all* about review.

Very much waiting for reviews here. Feels like it could be anywhere from a 9 to a 5.

When is the review embargo? If it's at release I'd be worried because of that pre-order only DLC.

Crossing my fingers but I'm definitely not pre-ordering this until I have a reasonable idea of it's quality.

Jimmydg

Very much waiting for reviews here. Feels like it could be anywhere from a 9 to a 5.

When is the review embargo? If it's at release I'd be worried because of that pre-order only DLC.

Crossing my fingers but I'm definitely not pre-ordering this until I have a reasonable idea of it's quality.

This Friday ends.

Jack cw

In Europe the embargo goes up on October 3rd 15 CET.
Streaming video content is allowed from October 6th.

All I know is that they've brought the embargo forward. Was Monday, now it's Friday. (Traditionally that would mean very good things indeed.)

EGM1966

It was shot, it's in the Directors cut of Aliens:

** Do not watch if you have not seen the Alien films yet, don't want to spoil anything prior to anyone seeing it **
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPItoMfPHLQ
No I meant I think I read somewhere some early drafts of Alien script mentioned a daughter not Aliens. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I remember that; or maybe it was in the detailed character sheets for each character.

I know its in Aliens extended cut but I think the idea may have been mooted during creation of Alien but not featured in the final script or film.

Ooccoo

It can't be worse than Aliens: Colonial Marines, it just can't. And that game sold 1.31 million copies. If Alien: Isolation does not at least sell one million then this industry is truly fucked.

Jack cw

It can't be worse than Aliens: Colonial Marines, it just can't. And that game sold 1.31 million copies. If Alien: Isolation does not at least sell one million then this industry is truly fucked.

I can tell you already that it's a better game in every regard, but this is survival and not a first person shooter with multiplayer aspect, so even with great reviews, the target audience is smaller. You shouldn't measure the quality of a game only by the number of sales.

Linconan

How is the DLC for the game by the way? I'm thinking of picking it up after beating Colonial Marines as I'm very much into story-based DLC even when they aren't that good.
erm.....
I must of missed/forgot about dlc...*gulps
Cheers,
i'm going to buy this dlc now,lol

*smacks head* wtf

Jimmydg

I can tell you already that it's a better game in every regard, but this is survival and not a first person shooter with multiplayer aspect, so even with great reviews, the target audience is smaller. You shouldn't measure the quality of a game only by the number of sales.

What about variety? And the map?

Skele7on

Banned
Having played it last week at eurogamer and when the guy came up to say time was up me nearly jumping out my skin, I can honestly say I am stoked for thissss game!

Shredderi

I rewatched the first Alien movie last night. It had been over a decade since I last saw it. I had forgotten many things about it. Fucking Jonesy.

Jack cw

What about variety? And the map?

Well, the map is opening progessively and there are nodes that make parts of the area visible but most of the time it's exploring. The map in general is rather huge with several levels connected to each other and it's always about finding a way to the next objective, while leaving some rooms up to explore for items and parts or collectibles. Sevastopol is pretty linear but huge nonetheless and that's why it feels so claustrophobic. The map plays an important part in the game.

It's a survival game so you have to use what the game leaves there for you. You constantly find useful things and gadgets/weapons that help you open up ways or new paths but it's challenging to handle all the encounters with the limited supply. The game lives from its atmosphere, the constant threat and clever level design.

Kaversmed

I am a huge Alien fanatic but I will still wait for the reviews before buying. Don't get me wrong, game looks super awesome so far but I've been burned once before and I won't make that mistake again. *glances over at Gearbox and Sega*

Top Bottom