• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus Trailer Coming Tomorrow

John Bilbo

Why are you hating on the black goo? The black goo itself is very mysterious. Nobody knows its origin. The Engineers are mysterious. Nobody knows their origin either. How are those 2 things combined less mysterious than the Space Jockey? They still leave a lot to imagine.

Well, everybody sure always wondered about what the Space Jockeys and the Aliens were and how they came to be or why the ship was carrying those eggs in the first place. Like I said, the black goo and the Engineers are not fully explained and still mysterious. The creation of the Alien in Covenant is quite interesting to me. It's basically a product of the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god - their unwary cration of sentient artifical intelligence / cyborgs (David) who turns kinda evil and - through a series of unfortunate events - gets the chance to create "something" in return himself. His "ingreadients" are basically the black goo (mysterious dna altering substance, not fully understood by anyone), engineer dna (who themselves are a the peak of biological evolution) and human (imperfect) dna, and David's own fucked up thoughts about what this new lifeform should be. All of that creates something beyond anyone's imagination - something really bad and terrifying. Like I said, the origin of all of this misery is "the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god" - personified in Weyland Yutani who created David. I think it's immensely cool and quite poetic that the Alien (which in the original movies is a force of horror to humans that both, internally and externally, kills them) is actually a product of humanity's own greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris - which has the potential the kill them all. Greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris are exactly the fundamental traits of how the Weyland Yutani Corporation has always been protrait in the first 3 Alien movies. Am I the only one who thinks the whole Prometheus and Covenant origin story is exeptionally brillant origina story for both the Aliens AND the Weyland Corporation once you've actually put some thought into it?
In my head the alien creature is scary in a lovecraftian, cosmic horror way. For me it is a reminder that even as we figure more and more out of this universe, there will always be unexpected horrors lurking just around the corner.

The fear of the unknown is the alien.

lifa-cobex

Why are you hating on the black goo? The black goo itself is very mysterious. Nobody knows its origin. The Engineers are mysterious. Nobody knows their origin either. How are those 2 things combined less mysterious than the Space Jockey? They still leave a lot to imagine.

Well, everybody sure always wondered about what the Space Jockeys and the Aliens were and how they came to be or why the ship was carrying those eggs in the first place. Like I said, the black goo and the Engineers are not fully explained and still mysterious. The creation of the Alien in Covenant is quite interesting to me. It's basically a product of the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god - their unwary cration of sentient artifical intelligence / cyborgs (David) who turns kinda evil and - through a series of unfortunate events - gets the chance to create "something" in return himself. His "ingreadients" are basically the black goo (mysterious dna altering substance, not fully understood by anyone), engineer dna (who themselves are a the peak of biological evolution) and human (imperfect) dna, and David's own fucked up thoughts about what this new lifeform should be. All of that creates something beyond anyone's imagination - something really bad and terrifying. Like I said, the origin of all of this misery is "the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god" - personified in Weyland Yutani who created David. I think it's immensely cool and quite poetic that the Alien (which in the original movies is a force of horror to humans that both, internally and externally, kills them) is actually a product of humanity's own greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris - which has the potential the kill them all. Greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris are exactly the fundamental traits of how the Weyland Yutani Corporation has always been protrait in the first 3 Alien movies. Am I the only one who thinks the whole Prometheus and Covenant origin story is exeptionally brillant origina story for both the Aliens AND the Weyland Corporation once you've actually put some thought into it?
Both films are good in their own right. But I see them as sacrificing the Alien films to get asses in seats.

One of the reasons the Alien film stayed with me as a child was because of the conversations it carried. Mysteries and subtleties in films go a long way to create conversations between people about said film.
It adds to creating a fan base.
It wasn't some horror like Friday the 13th.
You wanted to know more and it kept you coming back for the following films. Boiled down, all three Alien films are pretty much the same (no disrespect to them).

Woman trapped with creature with expendable co-stars. Woman defeats creature. But it's the environment and theme that keep people debating which is the best film.
Alien. Horror in space with Lovecraft undertones
Aliens. Action horror scifi
Alien 3. Religious horror??? (Assembly Cut and cut storylines make it a far better film)
But because of the original mystery in Alien. It gave the films more depth in intrigue.

I liked prometheus and covenant but I hated that it had to be a explanation to questions that didn't need answering.
It probably would have gotten more respect if it was entirely different species to the space jockeys and maybe had slight subtle nods to them to get people debating.
Kind of like how people were debating if Blade runner and Alien were set in the same universe. It's fun, interesting and keeps people wanting more.

Also.....

Last edited:

Trilobit

In my head the alien creature is scary in a lovecraftian, cosmic horror way. For me it is a reminder that even as we figure more and more out of this universe, there will always be unexpected horrors lurking just around the corner.

The fear of the unknown is the alien.

Seeing the fossilized space jockey in Alien when I was a kid was the most memorable part to me. It made humanity feel so small in the cosmos and like we have no idea about what's going on there. I try to suppress the recent movies as they take away from that experience.

Top Bottom