• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus Trailer Coming Tomorrow

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think the swarm of CGI face huggers is a great example of why this movie might go as wrong as everything else post the 90s. The alien works best as creature in the shadows. Only Cameron knew how to bring them out into the open effectively.

I expect this film to be another by the numbers, CG heavy, mess with a convoluted story that links back to all the pointless backstory Scott seems determined to bore us all with. Alvarez is talented though, so I'm hoping for a step up at least from the absolute dogshit of whatever the fuck that last piece of crap was called.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'm all in due to the director.

He made some visceral action horror flicks.

EVIL DEAD

Dont Breath

were both fucking great, this will be good imo

This is a great year for movies, so much shit I want to see.

Last edited:
I think the swarm of CGI face huggers is a great example of why this movie might go as wrong as everything else post the 90s. The alien works best as creature in the shadows. Only Cameron knew how to bring them out into the open effectively.

I expect this film to be another by the numbers, CG heavy, mess with a convoluted story that links back to all the pointless backstory Scott seems determined to bore us all with. Alvarez is talented though, so I'm hoping for a step up at least from the absolute dogshit of whatever the fuck that last piece of crap was called.

Best part of the trailer

jason10mm

Gold Member

NGL I'll be happy if its as good as The Thing with MEW was compared to the Carpenter film. Those seminal LANDMARK films can not be replicated, so I'll settle for just a pleasing riff of it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well, since we're talking about it.

Leaked stuff from the screenings:

Apparently they find the Alien Ripley shot out at the end of the first movie, extract and disassemble its DNA all the way back to the Prometheus black goo and use that to make new modified Alien variants in this movie.
Eh that’s still better than Covenant.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, since we're talking about it.

Leaked stuff from the screenings:

Apparently they find the Alien Ripley shot out at the end of the first movie, extract and disassemble its DNA all the way back to the Prometheus black goo and use that to make new modified Alien variants in this movie.
This seems to be a needlessly complex "origin" when you could just have an egg fall out of some desolate planet harvester or something to start things off.
Feels like a rehash of Resurrection with pointless nods to the mistakes of Prometheus.

If they want funky new xenos, just have a colony ship full of exotic animals and alien species (we can finally see some Arcturian poontang!!) to convert.

Kacho

Alien: Romulus was originally scheduled to be released on Hulu,[4] but was switched to a theatrical release by 20th Century Studios scheduled for August 16, 2024.[12]

Pray Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Alex11

Nice atmosphere, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I hoped it would be a single alien, but by the looks of all those facehuggers, I guess not and I fear that the aliens will be cannon fodder.
A tiny bit of hope remains, but have doubts, especially story wise, as I would guess they will want to tie this into the Prometheus/Covenant story, and those movies really did a number on the Alien mythos and mystery.

Rat Rage

Let's be honest... are you excited? I'm not. I really want to be excited, but cinematographically it - well - looks like a Hulu tv production. Also, this cheap ass run of the mill CGI is doing NOTHING for me. I can't be the only one who's out of his mind bored by cheap CGi. Those old puppet animatronic face huggers looked way better and scarier. The whole aesthetic of this movie production looks kinda sterile - it has a bit of a sci-fi soap opera feel to it - like the old Star Trek series, if you know what I mean. If you look closely, you'll notice it.

I'm not gonna bet any money on this being good.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Fede is an "old school" practical special effects director.

Here's a great interview where he addresses this very topic:

Lastly, you just touched on the Weyland-Yutani spaceship that your team built, but overall, how did you balance practical effects and VFX?

For the creatures, we brought in all the guys from Aliens. They were in their early twenties when they made Aliens, and they were a part of Stan Winston’s [special effects] team. And now we had them at the top of their game. They have their own shops, and so we brought them all together to work on all the creatures, because we went with all animatronics and puppets at every level. I even got the chance to be under the table with them, puppeteering all these animatronics.

I have this obsession with no green screens, so we built every creature and set. Everything had to be built so we were really living and breathing in these spaces. But I’m not an anti-CG guy. I got the chance to do Evil Dead, because I had made this short movie called Panic Attack! with a couple of friends and we did all the CG. So I come from a background where I know how to build the effects myself. I still do VFX shots in my movies to this day. I’ll cut and do VFX shots on my computer, sometimes. So it’s just whatever is best for the shot, and when it comes to face-to-face encounters and moments with creatures, nothing beats the real thing.

For the sets, we built spaceships and we built miniatures. We went back to all of that. And then we figured out ways to marry it with the CG world. There’s some things that only CG can do for the scope and movement. So it really has to be the right tool for the shot. Ideally, you should never feel like you’re watching CG. Ideally, there should be nothing there where the audience goes, “Well, that was clearly CG.” It should always feel practical, but I prefer practical because I want to see it when I’m there [on set]. There is nothing worse than having nothing to look at when I’m shooting. But some things that are CG can really blow your mind when done right.

Hell yeah, that's how it should be!

Rat Rage wrote:
Let's be honest... are you excited? I'm not. I really want to be excited, but cinematographically it - well - looks like a Hulu tv production. Also, this cheap ass run of the mill CGI is doing NOTHING for me. I can't be the only one who's out of his mind bored by cheap CGi. Those old puppet animatronic face huggers looked way better and scarier. The whole aesthetic of this movie production looks kinda sterile - it has a bit of a sci-fi soap opera feel to it - like the old Star Trek series, if you know what I mean. If you look closely, you'll notice it.

I'm not gonna bet any money on this being good.

See the above interview where he addressed practical effects use.

He pretty much found all the original "ALIENS" special effects crews(all owning multiple spfx companies now) and brought them on board for this movie.

Anyways, I guess I'm looking at it for for exactly what it is: a *teaser* trailer. He's holding a ton back and he doesn't like trailers that give away all of a movie's plot points/secrets.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
They'd have to go out o their way to fuck up the production design side of things since they have such a wealth of established sci-fi to draw from, so not surprised the presentation looks solid as it does.

I just don't see the point in what seems to be just another rehash of the same premise yet again, apparently even the protagonist is another Ripley rehash.
What more story can be told, without the mystery and freshness that the Alien and Aliens films brought to the genre? As far as I'm concerned, this cow is thoroughly milked.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Fede is an "old school" practical special effects director.

Here's a great interview where he addresses this very topic:

Hell yeah, that's how it should be!

See the above interview where he addressed practical effects use.

He pretty much found all the original "ALIENS" special effects crews(all owning multiple spfx companies now) and brought them on board for this movie.

Anyways, I guess I'm looking at it for for exactly what it is: a *teaser* trailer. He's holding a ton back and he doesn't like trailers that give away all of a movie's plot points/secrets.
Meh. HW likes to talk about practical effects but then goes as far as to replace Barbie behind the scene footage green screens with background renders. All of this is cheap CGI.

Superkewl

Gold Member
Meh, seems like a rehash. it is only a teaser trailer though. I hope it turns out to be something new and fresh, otherwise I wont bother. Kind of like the force awakens...afterwards I was thinking "I liked it better in the 1977 version"

Mr Hyde

Only watching this because of Fede Alvarez helming it. Covenant made my interest in Alien deflate to all time low levels. Ridley Scott attached to it as producer is enough to set off the red flags. The original is a classic but other than that he has fucked up the entire franchise. I hope he didn't tie Alvarez hands and did backseat directing or tried to interfere with his vision.

Looks good except for the grasshopping army of facehuggers.

I'm conflicted on where I stand regarding the franchise's mythology. I want there to be some sort of lore contribution so that it doesn't feel like another empty shell of a movie, but on the other hand, I don't want it to go the Prometheus route and make a mess of the whole thing.

Kacho

I'm one of those people who unironically enjoyed Prometheus. Thought it was a intriguing sci-fi horror flick with stunning cinematography. I was really excited to see where they would go with the Engineers, but Ridley either got cold feet due to the criticism, or had no fucking clue what to do with them, so he punted it with Covenant. As stupid as David was I'm bitter that story will never be wrapped up. It was junk food I was 100% invested in.

Aesthetically, Romulus looks like a return to form. Despite me being a jaded old man this trailer excited me. I'm not expecting a masterpiece by any means, but I will be at the theater day 1 to see this just like I did with Covenant. Enjoy Alien in theaters while you can folks. We're lucky this didn't get unceremoniously shat out on Hulu.

Porcile

Covenent isn't nearly as awful as people say it is, but between Alien 3, Resurrection, Prometheus and Covenent the series is quite abysmal. I don't expect them to turn it around after 30 years of mediocrity with this essentially made for streaming movie.

Kacho

As long as the acting isn’t abysmal like the recent Predator movie we should be ok. I’m confident this will be of a higher quality.

I was really excited to see where they would go with the Engineers, but Ridley either got cold feet due to the criticism, or had no fucking clue what to do with them, so he punted it with Covenant.
Both, probably.

After Prometheus Ridley began rattling off a slew of nutty revelations. All of a sudden Alien and Blade Runner existed within a shared universe, and the reason the Engineers were so hellbent on destroying Earth was because Jesus Christ was one of them and humans crucified him.

It's also worth noting that Damon Lindelof of Lost fame worked on the script. He's the master of introducing mysteries without a second's thought of how to resolve them.

Last edited:

wondermega

I'm definitely interested, another new Alien flick could be good. Statistically speaking, it SHOULD be better than Covenant. Guess we will have to wait and see. I've still yet to watch that latest Predator..

clarky

Gold Member
Covenent isn't nearly as awful as people say it is, but between Alien 3, Resurrection, Prometheus and Covenent the series is quite abysmal. I don't expect them to turn it around after 30 years of mediocrity with this essentially made for streaming movie.

They kinda managed to not fart out a turd with that last straight to dvd predator movie, so there's a slight glimmer of hope.

xrnzaaas

Looking at the young looking cast I can't get excited. It's gonna be even worse if they'll try to act badass.

Top Bottom