• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Calmine

Well at least Gearbox can put the money towards Borderlands 3. Will get on the cheap.

Don't know if asked, does the PC version actually have any decent graphics options? Maybe at least FOV option?

Sojgat

Order has already shipped, so too late to cancel now. Is the co-op at least fun? I'll bite the bullet and keep it if it's fun, but I got suckered into 2010's AvP which was awful. I don't want a repeat of that.

I'm enjoying the co-op, there's definitely some fun to be had when other players are involved. Though it does get frustrating when you try to employ basic tactics like sniping heavies from a distance, just to get teleported away from your vantage point to the business end of a smart gun, because the rest of your group moved forward slightly.

I don't think that will solve the problem.

Why don't you buy Alien vs Predator 2 and play the marine campain (first) or just get AVP 2010 (apparantly not that great, but better than A:CM)

And if you want to have some good multiplayer action, I can recommend AJL MOD R3 (that's the newest build) for AvP2. There are very few servers who host it, but it's IMHO the best Alien/Predator/Marine multiplayer out there (shame, almost no one knows it)

AvP1 Marines Campaign is better than AvP2. AvP2 isn't bad at all, just that AvP1 had a ton more horror.

Amagon

i212wUcwcU0eE.gif

Ehm..

Yeah, ill just..

umm..

oh god..

What is this shit?!?!

Mlatador

Banned
AvP1 Marines Campaign is better than AvP2. AvP2 isn't bad at all, just that AvP1 had a ton more horror.

Yeah, might as well buy AvP1.

Anyway, it really sucks that somehow nobody can succeed in making a "good" modern Alien/s game.

I think devs and publishers approach the franchise wrong. Just applying some orignary shooter mechanics won't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYZJB3BT8I

Mixed multiplayer footage on X-Box 360.

Gotta say, even if the campaign looks like it could disappoint judging the early walkthroughs, multiplayer is showing a lot more promise for me.

Survivor looks fun as hell.

Shrug. It was in 2010's AvP. And in AvP2. If I just want to play survivor I'll just fire one of them up. I was hoping for a scary first person shooter like any of Rebellion's efforts... not this.

Sojgat

You're saying it looks worse in person than it does on Youtube? That would be a first

The video you posted I'm pretty sure is not final version PC footage. Half of the things it shows either aren't in the finished game or are implemented differently. On 360 the game looks like hot garbage, slightly worse than Duke Nukem Forever, but it sounds like the PC version is better.

Bumhead

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYZJB3BT8I

Mixed multiplayer footage on X-Box 360.

Gotta say, even if the campaign looks like it could disappoint judging the early walkthroughs, multiplayer is showing a lot more promise for me.

Survivor looks fun as hell.

I played a bit of multiplayer at the Eurogamer Expo last year and enjoyed it. It wasn't anything groundbreaking but it was decent fun.

Either something has gone terribly wrong here between then and now or the rest of the game is steaming hot garbage, which is likely. I hope there's still a community for the game when I pick it up on Steam for £3.

Yeah, might as well buy AvP1.

Anyway, it really sucks that somehow nobody can succeed in making a "good" modern Alien/s game.

I think devs and publishers approach the franchise wrong. Just applying some orignary shooter mechanics won't work.

You really should if you haven't played it. It's $5 on Steam I think. I just picked it up this past weekend.

aegies

So when people call it "one of the worst looking games".... what are they talking about exactly? Even multiplayer mode looks ok to me here.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLuOVI1Fic

Yup. It looks fine

The game doesn't look anything like that. At all. The lighting is completely different. I don't think there's actually any real-time lighting at all. There are certainly no real-time shadows cast by most of the environment or characters.

Edit: these are all from the PC version. Image from the April "demo" first, image from the PC version second.

That's the PC version maxed out, by the way.

VashTS

I hope there's some kind of resemblence to the april footage in the PC version. The lighting looked much better and that intro sequence with the body hitting the umbilical is downgraded in the final version for some reason.....

Why did you take away the glass break decal Gearbox?!? WHYYY?!!?

Maybe they decided it was made of plastic?? (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If all else fails, I hope they at least give us an SDK so that the community can fix the game. Too bad DLC practices these days shuns moddable games and even cheatcodes.

Edit: I hate you aegies!!!!! Why do you always have to be right with your stupid truths!?

Peagles

It's 7.30am on the 12th here, preloaded, can hit play game, but seems Gearbox is with holding the exe. Awesome...

9am now. Apparently fixed. Gonna go give it a try!

Edit: Still getting the same error even after restarting Steam like they said, LIES!

Lucifon

The game doesn't look anything like that. At all. The lighting is completely different. I don't think there's actually any real-time lighting at all. There are certainly no real-time shadows cast by most of the environment or characters.

Edit: these are all from the PC version. Image from the April "demo" first, image from the PC version second.

That's the PC version maxed out, by the way.

Doesn't look bad to me. Not great no, but it's not as if it's insulting my eyes. The game has never looked mindblowing graphically in any kind of preview.

Playing co-op on the hardest difficulty is the way to go. If you can play with a group of like-minded friends you could probably have a lot of fun ridiculing and laughing at the game.
There is matchmaking for the online co-op. And all the competitive modes blow IMO.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated!

Do not buy this game at full price. 5/10 for SP, going up to a whopping 6/10 for MP/Co-Op.
Amazes me that the 2010 AvP looks better than this and is in many ways a better game (even though it has its own, massive failings). Gearbox should be ashamed of this

Damn.
I'm playing AvP now, and think it's a pretty OK game. I picked it up for $8.
I don't want to play a worse game for $63. :/

What to do, what to do.
Get the game, have a decent time, feel like the game wasn't worth $63.
Wait a month, price drops $20...none of my friends are playing coop anymore (if they even are at this point.)

Sojgat

The other thing about the umbilical sequence, as it appears in the final game, is that it's no longer interactive. I feel like the game is full of moments that would have originally been mini games/interactive sequences, but now simply involve pressing the X button to trigger an extended animation (complete with slowly filling meter), or a cutscene.

WX3

That alien strut gif is the perfect new In the thread, out the thread gif if you ask me.

Its like he's walking along, walking along, "wtf is this?" and then keeps on walking.

AvP 2 was the better MP game, AvP 1 was the better single player game, by far. It still is. It's held up really well.

One of the deepest and richest games MP wise I have ever played.

5 years of that non-stop mang.

Used to play as Preds with only using Claws or Combi. Melee Preds FTW :)

Fuck auto tracking in general too lol

I can't believe that with all this news people DON'T want to play it.

Then again, I played Rogue Warrior because of how bad it was.

I wanted it to be good, but since that doesn't look to be the case, I'm going to roll around in this shitpile like a newborn suckling pig.

Roxas

My thoughts after level 5...

Why are the aliens exploding after a couple of bullets

Why did I just play a stealth level with no guns (the worst fucking kind) in an ALIEN game

Why are my AI teammates talking over eachother cancelling the other ones audio

Why is the death animation so goddamn awful...

....and why are the load times after death so so soooo long

Fuck

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
95vQZc4.jpg

Finished on Hardened, collected all but one of the stupid collectibles. Do not buy this game at full price.

5/10 for SP, going up to a whopping 6/10 for MP/Co-Op.

Amazes me that the 2010 AvP looks better than this and is in many ways a better game (even though it has its own, massive failings). Gearbox should be ashamed of this, and as nice as Mikey Neumann is, the story sucked, which is particularly galling after he openly mocked the scripting of Sega's trailer.
The dialogue is hilariously shit. And the devs actually consider this crap a "true sequel" to Aliens!

I have to admit there's a part of me wanting to get this to see how bad it really is then return to EB. But I can't handle the shame of buying it and pretending I am so uninformed about the terrible reviews.

I'm really curious to hear what Randy Pitchford has to say about this.

He hyped the shit out of this game and from the trailers in the last few years, it looked pretty sweet.

What went wrong? What would have the game been like had it been out a year ago?

Despite all the negative hype and poor-average reviews coming in, I still plan on picking this up when it's under $20 and play it co-op with my buddies.

Just so damn sad it didn't even come close to the hype(assuming the reviews are somewhat accurate).

*goes back to playing Alien Infestation*

Andrew.

Banned
I'm really curious to what Randy Pitchford has to say about this.

He hyped the shit out of this game and from the trailers in the last few years, it looked pretty sweet.

What went wrong? What would have the game been like had it been out a year ago?

It's hard to top Dead Space.

Moff

AvP 2 was the better MP game, AvP 1 was the better single player game, by far. It still is. It's held up really well.
the AvP1 marine campaign was godlike, I never experienced more fear in my entire life.

but apart from that, I think even the AvP2 single player campaign was better, the alien beginning alone was outstanding.

too bad they put so little effort in AvP2010 to make it such an uninspired game. well I kinda liked it anyway.

I'm really curious to hear what Randy Pitchford has to say about this.
I really really dislike that man, I know he needs to sell games and he cant stand there and say they suck, but the way he promoted duke and aliens, with this fake enthusiams, that was sleazier and uglier than any PR suit I have ever seen.

Sporran

SEGA SEGA SEGA do me a favour, and dont plug me in to a Sega and the and the and the graphics.

WTF have they done. I can still remember the shit at the time when Haze came on PS3, well, this one takes that trophy.

Played quite a bit on coop though, the AI team just keep running ahead like they are out of control, how the hell you meant to explore and find things. They even run through the doors without them being open, yet you have to press X to open and go through hahahahah.

All right, GAF, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day to play A:CM! A day with A:CM is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE THAT A:CM!

In other news, there's some person in PR over at SEGA looking at this thread writing an email that says "Interest on core gaming message boards is huge! One such site, NeoGAF, has over 1,500 posts and 125,000 views in a single thread for Aliens(R): Colonial Marines(TM)!!!"

Top Bottom