• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Mlatador

Banned
I am just going to watch Alien and Aliens on Bluray, play the old PC version of AvP. Infestations too and cry myself to sleep, believing I live in a world where Prometheus, AvP and AvP:R nor this game exists.

shut up it doesnt exist, on the bright side I saved my some money then, I dont know is this game even worth getting at £10?? I may have to pull the trigger out of curiosity (hopefully they may have patched it by then???)

Naming Prometheus alongside AvP and AvP:R is an insult. Jesus people, what's wrong with you. Prometheus is awesome.

isnt even aliens not canon? I read once giger/scott had a completely different reproduction cycle in mind, witthout a queen.

Well, ALIENS is considered canon because FOX says so. In Scott's mind, he probably doesn't consider it canon.
As for your second part: Yes.
The initial idea was that the eggs found in ALIEN by the crew of the Nostromo was some kind of mysterious bio-weapon.

In ALIEN, the cycle goes like this: egg is created & produces an organic creature called a facehugger; facehugger finds host (facehugger's only purpose to live is to impregnate the host); host creates new organism (evidently based on the subject's DNA); new organism finds new hosts; uses some kind of organic fluids to turn host into a new egg; the cycle continues.
However, the new eggs, as you can see with Brett's transformation in the cut footage in ALIEN, is larger & sloppier than the eggs found on the derelict. Not sure if it eventually gets smaller and the facehugger creature is created naturally through the fluid and decomposing body, or the xeno, as it matures, has the ability to plant its own seed into the creation of the egg, creating the facehugger. We never see beyond that. It's the classic "what came first, the chicken or the egg" situation.

I think why people stand by the bio-weapon idea is for two things: the eggs have complex tube-like attachments that appear to link the eggs in the cargo area of the derelict. There is also that supposed blue light-tripwire that Kane sets off, thus prompting the egg (that has likely spent thousands of years dormant) to open & do its natural thing.
If we are going by Scott's version of canon, The Engineers are no strangers to moving strange cargo around, as evident by the 'black liquid' in Prometheus. In both ALIEN and Prometheus
it seems they let their weapons get the best of them at certain times. Also interesting the Xeno-like mural found in the black liquid chamber. Maybe the xenos were their greatest creation and became as gods to them? Prometheus takes place quite a few years before ALIEN, but the derelict the Nostromo crew finds is thousands of years old, apparently.

Since the "how did the eggs get in the derelict" question is never answered in ALIEN, it gave Cameron and Co. an easy out by being able to introduce The Queen into the cycle.

I, like others, am also disappointed that they took a bizarre organism like the Xenomorph (or 'Kane's Son', as it's eerily described as in some of the ALIEN drafts) and essentially turned it into some kind of hive-colony aggressive bug-like creature. If you pay attention in ALIEN, the xeno appears to carry certain elements from its host (i.e. Kane's attraction to Lambert and the eventual Lambert/Xeno rape implications) and even has a kind of curious nature about it. Just really unsettling.

Jubbly

article_2fc29900e0d021b7_1360597009_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

A gigantic Alien egg, standing 6 metres (almost 20 foot) tall, has mysteriously appeared on the lawn of London’s Potters Field Park today, to celebrate the launch of SEGA’s Aliens: Colonial Marines on PlayStation3,Xbox 360 and PC tomorrow.

The eerie and entrancing structure can be seen looming over the mayor’s office and Tower Bridge, completely open to the public and guarded by Colonial Marines who were on the look out for the stray Xenomorph that broke free in the area.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2013-02-11/mysterious-egg-appears-by-the-thames/ :|

wrowa

Fucking bullshit. I just want a Alien(s) game that captures the atmosphere of the movies without Predator bullshit. Is that really too much to ask?

Oh well. I doubt there'll be another take on the franchise again, so I guess that's that. The movies are 30 years old by now, I just can't see someone else investing in it again.

Also, poor Sega. I feel bad for them paying for the development of this for half a decade.

My video review on this should be interesting. Hearing and seeing everything before actually playing it. Hmmm....I won't be able to get one out till the weekend unfortunatly.

Baleoce

I have the option of getting the physical PC copy from amazon.co.uk for £24.99 (steamworks, with redeemable key, and obviously a hackable physical copy for future reassurance, win/win),

the digital PC copy from steam for £29.99 (with it stating that it's currently on sale, even though it's not. SEGAs just presumably playing steam at its own game and bumping up the average for when it really does go on sale),

the "big two" platforms for £37.99 from amazon.co.uk

or the Wii U version for £49.99 from amazon.co.uk

Is this a joke? I can't tell any more.

AHA-Lambda

Ok, I just watched some walkthrough vids of this game.

The graphics, glitches, tearing, retarded AI, horrible animation and pacing are really only just minor issues compared to the sexist POS story.

Warning massive spoiler ahead, so don't highlight unless you're sure you want to:

Hicks coming back, with some rage inducingly boring ass explanation is probably the worst retcon I've ever seen. Honestly, this is grade A level fanfiction bullshit. This is insulting and reeks of stupid fans getting their way with a story. Horrible.

Yeah right, Weyland troops were in Orbit over Fury 161 but didn't bother to check the surface...
Hicks planting another body in the cryo tube for whatever bullshit reason...
Ripley and Newt being turned into Women in a fridge tropes just so that Gearbox can spin their macho sexist Marine bullshit story avenging the death of those poor helpless women as uber masculine males with massive guns and badass one liners.

This is downright insulting in it's infantile, sexist and condescending writing.

This is a new level of bad and embarassing. If you thought Other M was bad in it's depiction of women and character retcon, this basically takes Ripley, puts a princess gown on her and skullfucks her character and achievements in one foul coma inducing pile of vomit.

AGAIN!!!! Don't look this up if you want to experience the worst fanfiction ever produced in playable form yourself.

Wow, definite negative interest now. The only thing intriguing left about this was that it was to be a sequel to Aliens.

It's best just to forget this game has happened at this point.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
lol just teasing.

that's cool :), i was hesitant to go into a rant about why prometheus was so bad etc, but decided I dont want to sound like a nut case so thought, sod it let's not do that lol

TBH I may dip into this game but only when the price it right

EDIT: ^ Agreed with AOC83

TentPole

Hell, I like Prometheus more than Aliens. And yes I am fully aware I am alone on this, but I guess I like angry space god more than what Aliens turned the xeno's into.

nbthedude

Don't,

this fan fiction is bad regardless of medium. In Fact, it's even insulting for videogame standards.

This is the result of overly zealous fanboys working on an IP they loved. It's worse than I expected, and the pandering is so disgustingly misplaced and out of touch with the key themes of the franchise that it beggars believe anyone actually wrote this shit.

The actual story and writing is even worse than the ultimate badass trailer. That at least was just stupid fascistoid nonsense, the actual story is miles worse with all the pretense.

looks like a game I would rather play. Too bad the game that was shown there isn't coming to WiiU, but instead that turd on a stick.

Dead Space is actually a great example of how an Alien game might work. But then again, Dead Space was made by people with artistic integrity (despite working for EA) and not rampant fanboys who's favorite character was offed by a director that didn't give them another shootbang summer blockbuster.

I truly hope that Randy Pitchfork just acted as a PR character and didn't actually like what they were doing with the franchise. Because that would make it much more tragic.

Pitchford did the same thing for Duke. It is time to honest. The guy is a shill. That is fine. It is part of his job. But nobody should take him at his word for anything he says. Ever.

Vitor711

You guys are just mad at this game because you are not iconic if the demo. This is an amazing IP and you should be excited about it necause it is an amazing IP.

Just as Machinima/Weekend Donfirms Andrea Renee.

lol, whut?

Bad troll is bad.

Just saw Aliens for the first time last night. For a film that was touted as being the action counterpart to the first film's horror, not a lot happens for the entire first half of the movie.

I also took massive issue with the film breaking the whole 'show don't tell' mantra by explicitly stating over and over again that the marines were badass mofos yet never actually demonstrating this.

That being said, everything to do with Ripley was excellent, with the motherhood theme being particularly well done and it was fascinating to see such a strong, competent female lead the likes of which you seldom see in mainstream film>

Depressed, if unsurprised, to hear all the smack talk about the game though. Every interview they gave leading up to release gave me a very bad feeling about the direction of the game with the almost fetishistic fanboyism that emanated from Gearbox being particularly offputting.

Having just come off DS3, I might give this a pass and reply the first two Dead Space games instead. Seems like they're much better at actually filling in that style of horror/action.

Ugh, must keep up some form of hope. PC version can't have most of these technical issues, will still find some sense of enjoyment and atmosphere out of it *cries self to sleep*

If the spoiler I accidentally quoted when writing this post about
Hicks coming back to life somehow
is true then my god **** this game.

Top Bottom