• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines review thread of broken dreams and movie references

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Is this awesome demo actually not in the game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulEWbAyv3k
God what happened? This looks heaps better than the final result (though still scripted as hell). The narration is terrible.

Actually, it kinda looks like simulated gameplay and not even real, like the jumping alien in the operations centre rolling the character out of the building so they enter the outdoor area with the 'crusher' boss thing (lol @ "It wants to smash you with its head"). It all seems so staged, like the player reacting in a pose before the alien even jumps at him. Either way it looks heaps better than the final game.

Still, the Aliens appear to have body-part damage? Can't quite tell.

I know it's like beating a dead horse by now but it's fun giffing nonetheless. Have some more clipping.

When the next Xbox gets announced I expect to see this gif with "Kinect 2.0" pasted over the wiggling tube, and "gamers" tattooed on the guys arm. :D

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet but Brandon Justice (the EGM reviewer who game A:CM a 9) got a lot of flak from Randy Pitchford on Twitter for giving Halo a 7. Maybe this was a mea culpa of sorts.

Your move, conspiracy theorists.

EDIT: Nevermind, that was George Broussard.

Chakan

Just beat it. And yes, after doing this, its a 3/10 or 4/10 game. It feels like you're playing a beta or alpha of a bad 2005 FPS.

There are so many glitches its hard to describe. And the "walk in the park" alien just blew my mind when I saw it lol. How the heck they decided that make this alien was a good idea is incomprehensible.

It has a 6 to 7 hours single player campaign. Only managed to endure until the end because I really like the Alien franchise and it deserves something better than this.

And if you think of playing it because of the story, sorry pal, its horrible and mediocre.

Beat it on the PC btw. With 60 fps, AA, no screen tearing, better quality textures, etc. This game on consoles must be an abomination.

Just beat it. And yes, after doing this, its a 3/10 or 4/10 game. It feels like you're playing a beta or alpha of a bad 2005 FPS.

There are so many glitches its hard to describe. And the "walk in the park" alien just blew my mind when I saw it lol. How the heck they decided that make this alien was a good idea is incomprehensible.

It has a 6 to 7 hours single player campaign. Only managed to endure until the end because I really like the Alien franchise and it deserves something better than this.

And if you think of playing it because of the story, sorry pal, its horrible and mediocre.

So, not worth Redboxing for free?

AppleMIX

It's almost like Gearbox set out to intentionally deceive the public, then kept reviewers quiet as long as possible with a 4am eastern review embargo, thus ensuring that all Amazon preorders would have already shipped.

Seems like it. Which means I won't preorder a Gearbox game again.

Ollie Pooch

Dat screen tearing.

There's a dropship shot in that YoVideogames review where it has zero textures on it. (And almost N64 polygon levels). LOL! Alien hanging by the tail.

Jackl

That's even worse considering they've been putting their name on it everywhere, all the Randy Pitchford interviews, that e3 demo I posted above being false and everybody thinking they were the only developers until just recently.

It's like a con job by them.

It is a con. The dedicated a fucking interview with how they were going to do right by the series, and even debuted a demo with gameplay that doesn't even exist in the current release.

If the dev team was re-branded as Hammerpoint Interactive no one would be surprised.

Ollie Pooch

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with your 360? The PC version doesn't look too hot but this has way worse textures. Almost none at all on some objects like they didn't load.
Yeah there are seriously some scenes in that vid where there are no textures at all on objects.

Even without the textures there is horrible frame rate, tearing, clipping, characters walking through one another.

hamchan

God what happened? This looks heaps better than the final result (though still scripted as hell). The narration is terrible.

Actually, it kinda looks like simulated gameplay and not even real, like the jumping alien in the operations centre rolling the character out of the building so they enter the outdoor area with the 'crusher' boss thing (lol @ "It wants to smash you with its head"). It all seems so staged, like the player reacting in a pose before the alien even jumps at him. Either way it looks heaps better than the final game.

Still, the Aliens appear to have body-part damage? Can't quite tell.

Randy Pitchford even says at the end of the video: "This is a section from Act 2 of the game."!

This boggles the mind.

TwIsTeD

what a fuckin train wreck...Redbox had the 360 version....the only satisfying thing about the game is the Pulse Rifle....everything else is garbage so far

Ollie Pooch

Randy Pitchford even says at the end of the video: "This is a section from Act 2 of the game."!

This boggles the mind.
It's either an actuall level from a game that was completely canned and they started again, or he's lying and it's just simulated 'concept' style gameplay.

WTF happened?

For those suckas (like me) that pre-ordered the CE of this (still shrink wrapped thank god). Do you think it'll bomba as hard as Duke Nukem did?

Don't fancy getting burned like I did with the ME3 CE and tbh I'd only be intrested in keeping it now for the badass statue...not for £70 though.

Andrew.

Banned
I know Im pulling a Derrick here, but this kind of shit makes me somewhat nervous for something like Infinite. This (Aliens) particular franchise in the cooker for so long that it ends up fucking itself directly right up the ass? I mean, six plus fucking years man. You seriously couldn't get this right?

1stStrike

Banned
I love the absolute shit storm across the internet in regards to this game. I really hope they lose tons of money on this and people get fired.

cj_iwakura

I love the absolute shit storm across the internet in regards to this game. I really hope they lose tons of money on this and people get fired.

Hopefully people in charge and not people in the trenches. Sadly you know the opposite's going to happen.

I hate when mediocre games get so much press and great ones are doomed to obscurity.

GlassBox

Banned
It is just so sad to see that no developer or publisher can do anything decent with the Alien and Predator IP's. you'd think with the solid foundation and core myhos both have that it'd be easy to get it right.

1stStrike

Banned
Hopefully people in charge and not people in the trenches. Sadly you know the opposite's going to happen.

I hate when mediocre games get so much press and great ones are doomed to obscurity.

The sad thing is people will probably buy the game because of the bad press. "Everyone in the media says this game is a piece of shit. I need to see what it's all about so I can talk about it too."

bangai-o

Banned
The sad thing is people will probably buy the game because of the bad press. "Everyone in the media says this game is a piece of shit. I need to see what it's all about so I can talk about it too."

the game is going to sell because it has a fairly strong and iconic name. i dont think it will gain any more audience past that initial batch though. gamers (who keep up with reviews) are certainly not going to buy it just to experience how bad it is. thats a strange theory.

Ollie Pooch

I think if anyone does this it'll be later down the line when its bargain bin ten bucks and/or second hand. I'd never pay upwards of seventy bucks just to see how bad something is.

So in about two weeks.

:p

ZoddGutts

It is just so sad to see that no developer or publisher can do anything decent with the Alien and Predator IP's. you'd think with the solid foundation and core myhos both have that it'd be easy to get it right.

But AvP and AvP2 games proves that there can be really good games made from those IP's. The next Alien game will be from Creative Assembly which made the Total War games, I have faith in those guys making a good Alien game.

Karl2177

Between this and saying that Halo 4 needed ADS to get a higher score, it just shows that Brandon Justice has no clue as to what is relevant any more.

Sega's terrible contract negotiations with Gearbox must be another nail in the coffin for why the backed so heavily out of big games.

Why would you approve all those extensions. How was it not clear to them that past year, Borderlands 2, was where all there attention was?

Ollie Pooch

Not surprising if true. What a shame :(

Shows how little care went into making sure this game stayed on the right track when it was palmed off to that other studio. They make it seem like the campaign just appeared back from Timegate in a horrific state so close to release. Wasn't someone from Gearbox managing the project along the way?!

It just makes it look even more like GB didn't give a fuck about the game and Borderlands was their priority. Which it clearly was.

hamchan

If true then that is terrible management by Gearbox. They had six years to make this game. There is no excuse to throw this game to the side to make other projects over and over when you've had this much time. If they didn't want to make the game and instead make more Borderlands and Duke then they shouldn't have taken it up in the first place. They didn't do right by fans of the series.

It is a con. The dedicated a fucking interview with how they were going to do right by the series, and even debuted a demo with gameplay that doesn't even exist in the current release.

If the dev team was re-branded as Hammerpoint Interactive no one would be surprised.

Randy apparently is still a magician, and his tricks are still based on smoke and mirrors.

Shows how little care went into making sure this game stayed on the right track when it was palmed off to that other studio. They make it seem like the campaign just appeared back from Timegate in a horrific state so close to release. Wasn't someone from Gearbox managing the project along the way?!

It just makes it look even more like GB didn't give a fuck about the game and Borderlands was their priority. Which it clearly was.

There must of been heads at GBX that was overseeing it. There had to have been. They made a conscious decision not to correct ship. Doing so would have meant they would have broken the contract and pay fees up the ass. It was clearly a business choice to dirty the company name rather than be at fault.

Riddy

In response to someone pleading them to not even bother making another game / adding DLC:

throwawayacm said:
I wasn't a huge Aliens fan before I started on the project and working on it hasn't done much to improve that, but I definitely understand where you're coming from

Shocking

*sigh* Rev3 still not providing accurate captions. How bad does Sess rip into the game? As bad as Jim?

Sessler provides a very fair review, actually. He LOVES the Aliens IP and wished so hard for this game to be good....but discusses at length the myriad of problems with it and ends up giving it a 2 out of 5.

He says the game has good intentions...it just doesn't deliver.

Of course not. They put out DUKE NUKEM FOREVER, for god sake.

But despite the excellent Borderlands 2, my opinion of Gearbox is definitely souring. "Developing" two horrid games in a row while leading people to believe that the games were going to be good... it seems like the old bait-and-switch con.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I dont get why it's so hard to make an aliens game. Why the hell are pretty much 10 year old games still outdoing modern stuff

Aaron

If the Borderlands series hadn't been a big success, I think this would have killed Gearbox. Take 2 might as well buy them because I can't see another publisher working with them after this mess. Sega gave them way, way too many chances for a project that looked doomed years ago.

Top Bottom