• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"All Eyez on Me" Turns 20: A look back at the history-making hip-hop double album

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlawd

people think What'z Ya Phone # is the worst song on the album but I don't give a shit I think it's catchy as hell

Davilmar

I felt that "All Eyez On Me" was an album that will be a seminal landmark of Shakur's discography, but its a mixed album. It's excessive, sometimes shallow, and misses a lot of the introspection, soul and heart that I loved with "Me Against the World." As others have said in much better terms, the album does have some great hits. I always have to reconcile the reflecting and emphatic Tupac with the one that delved into the controversy, the glimmer of his celebrity, and the glamour of alcohol, drugs, etc. It makes him such a fascinating individual to see those contradictions.

Great album my personal favorite from 2pac is Don Killuminati 7 Day Theory really grew on me in the past year even surpassing my love for Me Against the World.

Jay-Hova

Banned
Not big on 2pac, can't get into him as a rapper, or persona in the same vein that a lot of people seem to be, but since I've only listened to this five times and my first time was last year I should probably give it another chance.
I'll put it on while I'm riding to and from class tomorrow.

IrishNinja

Got My Mind Made Up stays one of my favorite cuts from the album - perfect example of a double LP that'd be a hardcore classic if it was trimmed down to 1 disc

that said, it's crazy easy to find it on vinyl, while Me Against The World is way pricier, even though they're both (i wanna say) Death Row releases...god i hope that one gets a reprint one day, and his earlier stuff too. shit's stupid-expensive.

See, even there I think Me Against the World has the edge. If All Eyez was a single album, it probably wouldn't be a question, but it's not.

yeah, co-signed

Great album. After 20 years, I still listen to it on a regular basis.

+1
i loved Pac in the day, but he wasn't really in my top 10, to be honest...in the time since, i've appreciated him a lot more, and he's firmly in said list now. amazing how much growth we saw in that discography over such a short time, looking back.

Who else loves ''mind made up' as much as I do? That song never gets talked about.

Just emcees destroying it.

haha, daps - so many of my favorite MC's just goin in

Great album. One of the best.

It will still have legs in 20 years time too, and the stuff Kanye shits out will all be forgotten.

Crazy we see All Eyez On Me as a classic when the album wasn't that hot. Second disc of the album was fucking trash. Also some of the first disc was trash too lol. It had some great songs on there don't get me wrong but as an album itself it wasn't that good. Pac's best album still Me Against The Word.

It makes me wonder what people will see as classic 20 year from now. Will No Label 2 finally hit that legendary classic status it deserves D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom